Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:41 pm 

I've done that. 4 pro done. 2 a label in poland put out and 2 was my friend's label and only one of them I help co-release.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:36 pm 

Just digitally submitted Licrest to about 6 or 7 labels and as many metal review sites. Hopefully I get a bit of traffic from that. Now I can't wait to get the physical copies. I'm sure some labels will only accept a physical release, so some of them will go there, and I'll start selling the rest. The mix turned out pretty good, my previous albums I've ended up mixing a bit light on the bass and I didn't want to do that again. This one might be just a touch bass heavy, but it sounds good with some subwoofers, and that's what I like.

I picked up my les paul (tuned to D standard) earlier and was like what the fuck is this? I'm so used to playing in Bb. I'm not sure what music to work on now, either. I'm used to playing Doom. I should work on my black metal, that project is probably closest to completion. Maybe in another month or two I can have a full black metal album out.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:43 pm 

I really can't wait to start making more music again, with an actually decent amp I'll be motivated for once! No more of this creating 3 shitty unfinished tracks in as many years, haha.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:49 pm 

I try to write every day, or at least every other day. I need a small notepad with me and I jot down musical ideas in my own little version of tabulature. I'm always writing music.

Not sure what else to do right now, just waiting on my sleeping pill to kick in, so I guess I'll write a drone song with a really distorted bass.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:00 pm 

I've started work on my solo project finally. It's mostly just drums and layers of MicroKORG. It will probably be awhile before anything is even recorded. I'd definitely like to take my time on. As for the sound... I aim for it to be a mix of ethereal beauty and monolithic destruction. Can't really make it less vague than that.

Right now I'm running the MicroKORG with a DS-1 and a Green Muff clone that my friend made. I'd like to add a DD-3, a PN-2, an RV-3, and some sort of looping device to the chain eventually. Boss makes great pedals.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:31 am 

That sounds very Fleshgod inspired. Seems interesting enough to me that I'll give it a listen when it's done. You doing it under your own name or a band name?

--

It appears as if I'm in yet another project. Make that 4 at the moment, as I might be getting involved with a fifth band from New York who was one of Sorrowseed's support acts in Queens on Saturday. This new band, unnamed right now, is just me and Sorrowseed's live guitarist Eric. The one song we've got right now sounds like Gothenburg tinged blackened death metal. Eric wrote the music for it and I'll probably do the lyrics. Vocally he and I are gonna split it Carcass style, line tradeoffs and all.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:27 am 

infinitenexus, I'm gonna check out your album tomorrow. The speed at which you guys write and record stuff makes me feel like a total slacker, heh.

I still like the idea of putting albums up for free via bandcamp then using proceeds to crowd-fund a CD run. That's what I plan on doing with the Coma Void album; rather than offer physical CD's right away, I'm just gonna leave a note that says pay more than $X for the download and if I hit some minimum amount (say like $25 or $50 or so) I'll do a kunaki order and send those people a CD. That way at the very least you break even and get some CD's in people's hands.

I'm hoping to have the album up for download on Bandcamp by around the week of September 9th. Hopefully that'll be enough time for me to be satisfied with my vocals.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:18 am 

Still playing live. This clip is from August 17th. What we did was, we surprised our former vocalist, Martin Missy, by asking him to come onstage and perform on a song with us. We call him Farfar (grandpa) since he's 45.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LBjhd4S_fw

doktersatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:22 am 

Hey, any of you guys interested in creating a logo for Deathlord? Maybe for free? For a tape? for infinite gratitude?
This topic is moving so fast! where can I find your drone album Infinitenexus?

Great stuff Porman! The tech guitar part of the song took me by surprise :P as did the clean breaks

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:25 am 

Downloaded some stuff and listened on my other comp, including guitartheist's ep from the songwriting challenge thread, and these from this thread:

infinitenexus wrote:
Tuned down an extra step, kinda drone/doom. Not sure I was successful with this one: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/728 ... lation.mp3

I grabbed this one. I liked it. The guitar sound was nice even after being so low. Since you said you weren't sure, maybe I'd add a couple drum hits in between the 1's on the ride or something, but that's just me.

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
oh and here is a rough mix of my full actual band minus vocals: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6dfKCv ... sp=sharing

You're on drums, right? Nice fills, I like how your toms sound. The "break down" part was really catchy too.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:23 pm 

doktersatan wrote:
Hey, any of you guys interested in creating a logo for Deathlord? Maybe for free? For a tape? for infinite gratitude?
This topic is moving so fast! where can I find your drone album Infinitenexus?

Great stuff Porman! The tech guitar part of the song took me by surprise :P as did the clean breaks

I'll make you a logo in a couple hours, after I run some errands, for free.

Doom album is here:
http://licrest.bandcamp.com

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:40 pm 

doktersatan wrote:

Thanks! That clean bit was an idea I borrowed from and old band that my drummers in Ruins of Time played with.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:01 pm 

Here you go Doktersatan. It's not perfect but it's the best I can do with my limited skills. I got you a white on a black background and a black on a white background.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/728 ... go%201.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/728 ... go%202.jpg

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:32 pm 

really awesome Porman. looked like a good show and that's pretty sweet that you brought him up there. haha.

and thanks for checking it out CloggedUrethra, yea I'm only on drums for this band. Glad you dug my toms I try to start off with capturing a good sound on everything before I even start mixing. so that which you heard is all completely in the raw.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:11 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
I still like the idea of putting albums up for free via bandcamp then using proceeds to crowd-fund a CD run. That's what I plan on doing with the Coma Void album; rather than offer physical CD's right away, I'm just gonna leave a note that says pay more than $X for the download and if I hit some minimum amount (say like $25 or $50 or so) I'll do a kunaki order and send those people a CD. That way at the very least you break even and get some CD's in people's hands.

I'm hoping to have the album up for download on Bandcamp by around the week of September 9th. Hopefully that'll be enough time for me to be satisfied with my vocals.

Pretty good idea. Another thing would have maybe a "pre-order" section. If you intend to release the album on CD regardless I would do a pre-order, that way people can contribute and if you get enough money to do it before the intended release date you can. Just a suggestion but it only would work if you were going to release the album anyway and needed to collect some funds.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:47 am 

I always do a pre-order. I already have funds to release but some cash to offset my going in costs is more than welcome.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:52 am 

Yeah, that was a good show! Next show we will play will be at a club. One part of that club will have a release party for Sabaton, although the band won't be there.
I guess we're not going to say nice things about that crappy power metal band on stage! :D

doktersatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:33 am 

badmouthing other bands onstage for no apparant reason seems like kind of a lame move to me :P Isn't it better to just play better,louder and more intense and show the people your superiority in that way?

@Infintenexus
Thanks a lot guy! I really appreciate the effort! I sent them to the band though, and the concensus is that we want a logo with fatter and more disgusting/gory letters to better suit the music. Something like the Vomitor logo. Still thanks a bunch!

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:17 am 

That's exactly what we're going to do. Although, we're joking around a bit on stage, so we're going to throw in something about Sabaton.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:42 pm 

I might try to puke you out a logo for shits. I haven't done one in awhile.

started getting a few things around together for that challenge that I'll be uploading late. haha.

Metallumz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:51 pm 

Recorded a few tracks for a new Demo yesterday, having a new BOSE pedal, mic, and recorder helps. Spent a few hours in the morning recording things like walking on gravel, forest sounds, water, etc. Mished and mashed some tracks together to make a 16min long track that i'm just finishing off editing this evening.

liquidblaze33
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:55 pm 

Just released a 4 song EP for my solo project, Pathless (http://pathless.bandcamp.com). Kind of a mix of sludge, black, progressive and some post-rock/metal. Primal and beautiful (or at least thats the goal). Let me know what you think, any feedback is appreciated.

I'd like to have someone do vocals/lyrics at some point, either for these songs or in the future. My ultimate goal is to form an actual band around this, but that will come later.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:04 pm 

I just saw this again

"badmouthing other bands onstage for no apparant reason seems like kind of a lame move to me"

There's a reason. They fucking suck donkey balls and play crap music for short haired posers! How's that for reason? Haha!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:15 pm 

I don't know, if you are doing it to your friends or whoever asks you and all... who cares? it's your opinion, I do that whenever someone asks me or if I'm hanging with my bandmates and we just don't like the band we'll talk amongst ourselves.

Doing it on stage is just bad taste to me unless you know the guys and it's all jokes.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:36 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I don't know, if you are doing it to your friends or whoever asks you and all... who cares? it's your opinion, I do that whenever someone asks me or if I'm hanging with my bandmates and we just don't like the band we'll talk amongst ourselves.

Doing it on stage is just bad taste to me unless you know the guys and it's all jokes.

This is true; but in some cases, even if it is in bad taste, if the band that's doing the badmouthing isn't wrong then I can't really criticize them...
Not saying that I'd ever do it, but still

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:55 am 

Yea doesn't matter if they are correct it's just bad business and creates all kinds of crybaby drama that girls and pathetic people thrive on.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:32 am 

Haha, Sabaton isn't quite a local band... I'd never open my mouth in public about any local or smaller bands. It's not my place.
Anyway, it would only be a bit of joking, nothing serious.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:07 pm 

if it's all in good fun, make sure to tell the crowd they will be in the bathroom servicing the glory hole for tips after their set.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:38 pm 

Just watched a terrible guitar cover of one of my favourite electro/happy hardcore/nightcore songs. Makes me want to do one myself...

Old video game-influenced music is great for getting ideas from btw :)

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:26 pm 

Just got some of my CDs in the mail. While the Licrest album cover looks great digitally, it's kinda dark in print. Can't really tell what's there. Oh well. At least now I have physical copies to sell!

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:28 pm 

Oh, and I got my Ampeg SS140C in the mail yesterday. Finally got to try it out today. It has a great solid state distortion, and I think it's going to be perfect for black metal. Definitely sounds a world different than my tube amps, but fortunately it doesn't have the boomy bottom end that a lot of tube amps seem to have. Especially considering I got it for cheap, I'm happy with my purchase. It's just the amp pulled from a combo, so I do need to make an enclosure for it, to make it a proper head. Possibly this weekend.

Hey SLK, do you have any experience using Kunaki to order your stuff and send it to multiple addresses? I'm thinking of just doing that for my orders, seems like it would be faster and easier.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:55 pm 

So I ended up going out and buying one of those 100-watt Ampeg Micro-CL mini stacks and I'm enjoying it so far. I was surprised by how good the tone was, it'll serve me well for noodling around in the bedroom or smaller jams with friends.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:23 pm 

Nice. I just got an old Ampeg. It's pretty awesome.

Also bought some paint and a book full of paper, gonna try to paint a black metal album cover. This should be interesting.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:13 pm 

infinitenexus wrote:
Oh, and I got my Ampeg SS140C in the mail yesterday. Finally got to try it out today. It has a great solid state distortion, and I think it's going to be perfect for black metal. Definitely sounds a world different than my tube amps, but fortunately it doesn't have the boomy bottom end that a lot of tube amps seem to have. Especially considering I got it for cheap, I'm happy with my purchase. It's just the amp pulled from a combo, so I do need to make an enclosure for it, to make it a proper head. Possibly this weekend.

Hey SLK, do you have any experience using Kunaki to order your stuff and send it to multiple addresses? I'm thinking of just doing that for my orders, seems like it would be faster and easier.

Dude, it's your speakers... cause they have a huge huge bottom end. They are goddamn beast. when I am eqing my shit I'm only boosting mids.
And yea I just do it individually per order, it makes things easier when i don't have the time to run to the post office or I'm out of town. It's not cheaper than me shipping them myself but sometimes just gotta make do.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:51 pm 

Well I am running through that 50 year old alnico speaker, and it does have a lighter bottom end, and I do have my low set on about 2-3...

But this still has less low end than my tube amps. Some of my tube amps (ahem, peavey and orange) I have to use a tubescreamer and turn the bass way down just to make them bearable. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining at all - it's nice to have an amp where when I turn down the bass knob the boomy low end actually goes down! A lot of tube amps manufacturers should pay attention to this!

Just re-recorded 4 black metal songs with my ampeg. Still gotta get the EQ right, probably need more midrange, but this amp is definitely a good one for black metal. It has a dry, stark, fuzzy (I think that's the word) distortion that is perfect for black metal. I'm low on amps right now (3 including the ampeg) and my 2 tube amps are both basically marshall clones and while both sound good, that midrange heavy tubey roar just plain doesn't sound right for black metal. At all. I haven't dealt with solid state distortion like this in a long time, years actually. I've become a tube snob. I have to say, it's nice to have an amp that's quiet when I'm not playing! Fucking microphonic tubes... Still love the way they overdrive though. This is definitely going to be my permanent black metal amp though. It's perfect for that shit. Now I'm curious, if I ran a tube-based overdrive pedal in front of it...

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:56 pm 

if it's on the overdrive... it honestly won't make an audible difference. My friend did that when we first got it. it made it muddier at best, but overall it's just fucking nothing.

and yea it has massive amounts. I usually keep my bass around 6-7 and that's more than enough. I know you have listened to my Mountain of Beard. that's Ampeg SS150

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:05 pm 

It sounds nice, I really dig that album dactylic. I keep a lower bass setting to keep stuff tight, makes faster passages more clear and whatnot. Plus my main guitar for low tunings is my first guitar, a 1984 ibanez DT250, which has those old ibanez V5 pickups which are absolutely massive sounding. They're drive any amp out there super hard. I have trouble plugging that guitar into any audio interface, because the pickups make it distort. I think they're around 17K or so, they're super hot and thick sounding. It basically requires turning the bass down. Also I'm running through a 1X12 isolation cab with a 60 year old speaker, so it'll definitely sound different. Eventually I'll be micing a regular cab, and who knows what settings I'll be using then. I'm hoping this weekend to put together a cabinet for my 15" speaker. I'm heading down to NC for my little cousin's wedding on sunday though, so we'll see. Also mailing off 2 copies of Licrest's new CD for reviews first thing tomorrow morning. I really like how it turned out, so I'll be mailing copies to anyone and everyone who reviews shit, and every label possible also, just to get it out there. I'm enjoying writing/recording black metal also, but I feel that mine has a certain "cheese" factor to it. Just needs more refining probably. And more noise.

I really can't wait until I live somewhere where I can mic my 2X12 speaker instead of my isolation cab, because it sounds better. I just have to watch the noise for now. Actually, my loudest speaker cab is a 4X8 cab I built to match my firefly. It's freaking loud as shit, for 8 inch speakers, and actually sounds really nice. I have no use for it now though, so I'm probably going to put it on craigslist this weekend for cheap, just to get rid of it.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:19 pm 

Also bought some watercolors, brushes, and a book of super thick, mixed media paper. I'm going to try to paint my black metal album cover. No fucking clue what I'm going to put on there though. At least tomorrow's a day off for me, so I have plenty of time to think about it!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:52 pm 

Just punch the colors and then punch the paper then scan it in and put some filters on it.

yea and depending on the cab really changes how you will set that amp up. I normally run them on a krank krankenstien. But if I use it on my Kustom 215 I have to dial the bass back further. and when I had one on my 412 fender bassman I had to put it on like 2 cause it just generates insane amount of bass on that cab.

I actually did some recording today.

wrote and recorded two KP tracks and wrote and recorded a new Vomitwolves track. it's probably the fastest I've done thus far, not that any of them were slow to begin with, but this is breakneck it took me awhile to just track the 1st guitar track down correctly.

hey you need to toss me a copy too, I'll trade ya an album as well.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:19 am 

Krank cabs are great! Krank heads...not so much.

Got a new song done today. Upcoming album isn't even out but the next one is already underway. I'm trying to churn out as much as I can while still in school. Doubt I'll have much time or drive once I sink into the corporate world.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 185  Next