Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:53 pm 

'Street Trash'-this film is so, rad!
it has mysterious alcoholic beverages causing people to react in a very, badass way. i really do not want to say much about this film mainly due to the fact it is so awesome!

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:12 am 

Weren't some of you guys talking about how Ronin was good? Watching it right now - it's one of the flattest heist-type films I've seen :lol: Acting and directing/writing are just awful.

Ok...maybe awful is a bit harsh. Glaringly mediocre.

EDIT: Finished. Man that was shite. What the hell is wrong with you people :lol: Just watched Heat again the other day, though... soooo much better.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:46 am 

There's an I Spit on Your Grave 2 now? Huh. I saw the remake, maybe I'll see the sequel-to-the-remake. Even though I did just mention how much I thought Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 sucked.

With Insidious 2: Electric Boogaloo about to hit theaters, I just watched Insidious 1 again. I'd give it a mild recommendation. First, I respect that the 'Splat Packers' who started the Saw franchise decided to abandon explicit gore for this one and make a PG-13 flick. The child actors managed not to annoy me, so that's a plus. And the ending was pretty cool. On the other hand, I didn't really like the two ghostbuster assistants; were they supposed to be comic relief? Also the final half hour is visually so dark, I could barely make out what was happening on the screen a lot of the time. (I'm lazy and I don't like having to adjust my TV settings just for one show or movie.)

One last unoriginal observation about Insidious:
Spoiler: show
The demon haunting the boy looked like Darth Maul.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:48 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Weren't some of you guys talking about how Ronin was good? Watching it right now - it's one of the flattest heist-type films I've seen :lol: Acting and directing/writing are just awful.

EDIT: Finished. Man that was shite. What the hell is wrong with you people :lol: Just watched Heat again the other day, though... soooo much better.

I haven't actually seen Ronin in like 12 years, I barely remember it. DeathRiderDoom is the one who loves it, talk to him.

Heat on the other hand is one of my all-time favorites. <3 Michael Mann.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:01 am 

Yeah, Heat's pretty damn good. Weird, though, that even at three hours in length it still feels too short, like the story and the character development could've been extended a lot more than it was. Pretty cool that despite the running time it doesn't feel tiring or overdone at all.

One detail that was pretty silly was how at the conclusion Pacino and De Niro are running for sooooo long and then when they finally stop they're not even breathing hard. :lol: Ah, screw realism.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:32 am 

The funny thing about Heat is when I originally watched it back in high school with some friends, one of them just did not buy that whole scene where Pacino and De Niro's characters get coffee together. Yet that actually happened in real life between the two characters they're based on! It's weird how sometimes things that actually happen seem less realistic than fiction.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:39 am 

That reminds me of that scene where Omar jumps out of the 3rd story window in The Wire. Apparently the guy he's based off of actually jumped out of a 5th story window or something, but they didn't think the audience would believe that, so they toned it down some for TV.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:45 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:

Last I caught the movie on TV I thought it was the same - just a dull heist film with a car chase. Didn't do anything for me.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:22 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
That reminds me of that scene where Omar jumps out of the 3rd story window in The Wire. Apparently the guy he's based off of actually jumped out of a 5th story window or something, but they didn't think the audience would believe that, so they toned it down some for TV.

Haha yeah I heard about that. I mean the cliche is that "truth is stranger than fiction," which is obviously bullshit when taken at face value, but there definitely are plenty of outlandish things that actually happen.

Windom Earle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:56 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Windom Earle wrote:
Watched "A Field in England" last night. It was different, and not in a good way. It was kinda shit. It's disappointing cause his other movies are awesome.

I thought Kill List was destroyed by it's ending. I know a lot of people on here can overlook such things but I judge a movie as a whole and if there's a big an undeniable weak link, then I have really no choice but to award it a low rating. It sucks because it had everything going for it up until that point, an interesting set up with brutal and unforgettable violence with excellent dramatic arguments, the dialogue was so punchy and realistic that I quickly became immersed from the opening scenes. Unfortunately it joins the ranks of 3:10 to Yuma, High Tension, The Taking of Pelham 123, Lolita, Gangs of New York and many others as good films marred by their endings.

I loved the ending! I can understand why others might not enjoy it but I thought it was amazing all around and rank it highly.

slayrrr666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:23 pm 

Unstoppable-Initially set-up to take a quick job, a penniless soldier finds himself injected with a mind-controlling drug by a criminal group to use him for their crimes only for him to use his military skills to fight back against his captors. This one actually wasn't all too bad of an action effort and was actually quite enjoyable. For perhaps the first time in his career, it actually looks like Snipes is a real martial artist rather than just demonstrating a few moves here and there that don't look all that complex or complicated unlike here, where it finally looks like he knows what he's doing and generating some fine fist-fights through that tactic. There's a few decent car chases thrown in as well that make for some great action scenes, including some very big car-smash stunts that look far grander than the type usually found in such films which gives it a great overall feel. The payback feels natural in the storyline terms, and thankfully the inclusion of the FBI investigation doesn't feel like an unnecessary inclusion to drag the film out, but the plot of the main villains doesn't have too much logic to it. It feels like a first-draft reasoning that never got fleshed out or explained further, since it makes little sense why they would want him considering they're all mercenaries themselves and surely his skills would've popped up on a background check when that would've been made. If that's to be overlooked in this, then it's actually not that bad and one of Snipes' better DTV efforts.

i don't consider gordon ramsay to be a chef, because i haven't been to his restaurants, and i'm not interested in his food

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:40 pm 

Blood In Blood Out (1993)

Amazing film. About three latino brothers (One is half & half and deals with the confusion that comes with it). Turns into a prison movie, lots of story threads going on concurrently. It really impressed me.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:56 pm 

slayrrr666 wrote:
Unstoppable-Initially set-up to take a quick job, a penniless soldier finds himself injected with a mind-controlling drug by a criminal group
At least it's not that one starring Denzel Washington as a train driver who must stop an out of control train. Talk about a totally unnecessary movie and in terms of action it's as bland as stale bread.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:41 pm 

Heat is great, probably my favorite heist film. A shame so many other Mann films fall so flat.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:15 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
Heat is great, probably my favorite heist film. A shame so many other Mann films fall so flat.

It's pretty hard to find someone who doesn't love HEAT. Anyways, for those of you that are really big fans of the movie, there's Mann's earlier made for TV version of the film, titled 'LA Takedown' which is pretty much the same story, but much smaller budget, but i wouldn't really recommend it. It's quite boring and has little to offer besides some decent acting.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:50 pm 

Say what you will but I think Manhunter is entertaining as hell, Will Graham kicks ass and Tom Noonan delivers a superior portrayal of Dollarhyde compared to Ralph Feinnes. Needless to say that The Last of the Mohicans is up there with Heat.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:51 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Needless to say that The Last of the Mohicans is up there with Heat.

Last of the Mohicans' climax was one of the best scene + music combos I've ever seen / heard. Best part about that whole thing.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:53 pm 

No kidding. I gush about that part of the movie fairly often but it's genuinely one of my very favorite pieces of film. Just completely perfect in every way.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:13 am 

Never actually seen that one, or Manhunter (which I definitely want to see).

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am 

Yeah Michael Mann's early spree of films was decent for sure; Manhunter, Thief, Heat, Mohicans, but from what i've seen of his more recent work i haven't really enjoyed. Collateral had some promise but it was pretty under-realised. Really wish he had gone with someone other than Tom Cruise for that role.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:18 am 

Riddick: This was terrible. The worst in the series by far. I really wasn't expecting this. Terrible pacing, the characters all suck super hard and have laughable dialog. the cgi looks like shit. the monster designs look like shit. Its impossible to care even remotely about anything thats happening. Probably the worst thing Ive seen in a while.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:22 am 

Was that series ever good? I remember watching Pitch Black a few years ago and thought it was ungodly boring and half-assed. Is the rest of the series a ton better?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:23 am 

The general consensus seems to be that Pitch Black is okay and The Chronicles of Riddick is surprisingly very good. I saw them both back to back years and years ago when Riddick was new, but I remember almost nothing of either movie so I'm not really any help :p
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:11 am 

I haven't seen the new one but I like pretty much all things Riddick. Pitch Black is just a really solid sci-fi-ish monster movie and Chronicles is a great epic sci-fi movie. The short animated movie that bridges them is pretty cool, too, but my favorite entry still might be the Pitch Black prequel video game.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:21 am 

Yeah batman i believe I've heard you harpin' on about Last of the Mohicans a few times over the years. Wasn't aware of your Riddick fandom. Aren't those films a bit hard to sit through considering they star Vin Diesel? He's one of those actors who's presence seems to make things unbearable for me. He has that effect on me in everything else I've seen him in.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:41 am 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Yeah Michael Mann's early spree of films was decent for sure; Manhunter, Thief, Heat, Mohicans, but from what i've seen of his more recent work i haven't really enjoyed. Collateral had some promise but it was pretty under-realised. Really wish he had gone with someone other than Tom Cruise for that role.

Agreed 100% about Collateral. Public Enemies had promise and I went in with high hopes, but it was just really poorly written. The acting, costumes, and action were really good, but the screenplay was adapted from a non-fiction book, and it really shows. The dialog was so naturalistic that it was just really boring, and there were no real character arcs. Aside from Dillinger, 99% of the cast had no character development.

There's a reason that most successful biopics take liberties with the facts, like Patton or Cromwell, and that's because real life rarely offers dramatically satisfying stories that can fit into 2 hours.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:33 am 

No, the Riddick series was never great or anything, but Pitch Black is an entertaining enough movie with solid acting. Chronicles was a dip, but still watcheable. This one was gag reflex inducing. Just no redeeming factors whatsoever.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:34 am 

failsafeman wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:

Agreed 100% about Collateral. Public Enemies had promise and I went in with high hopes, but it was just really poorly written. The acting, costumes, and action were really good, but the screenplay was adapted from a non-fiction book, and it really shows. The dialog was so naturalistic that it was just really boring, and there were no real character arcs. Aside from Dillinger, 99% of the cast had no character development.

There's a reason that most successful biopics take liberties with the facts, like Patton or Cromwell, and that's because real life rarely offers dramatically satisfying stories that can fit into 2 hours.

I disagree about Collateral but 100% agree about Public Enemies. That one really fell flat on me and I left the theater not really caring about anything that happened in the film. And I agree that it almost seemed like an un-narrated documentary.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:16 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
I disagree about Collateral but 100% agree about Public Enemies. That one really fell flat on me and I left the theater not really caring about anything that happened in the film. And I agree that it almost seemed like an un-narrated documentary.

Agreed with this. Collateral ruled. Public Enemies felt so by-the-numbers with the shootouts and had such a stock plot that it was hard to give anything more than two shits about the movie.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:20 pm 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Yeah batman i believe I've heard you harpin' on about Last of the Mohicans a few times over the years. Wasn't aware of your Riddick fandom. Aren't those films a bit hard to sit through considering they star Vin Diesel? He's one of those actors who's presence seems to make things unbearable for me. He has that effect on me in everything else I've seen him in.

I like Vin Diesel. The main problem is that he's just in completely shitty movies other than like, Riddick, and Saving Private Ryan. I feel like if he hadn't spent so much of his career doing those shitty Fast & Furious movies we could've gotten a few more solid action roles out of him during his prime.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:07 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
real life rarely offers dramatically satisfying stories that can fit into 2 hours.

Wow, I strongly disagree with this; there's countless real life stories that can fit comfortably into the 90-150 minute mark and be perfectly "dramatically satisfying," so long as the writer and director work closely together to deliver a compelling account. Countless excellent films are based closely on perfectly true stories. Off the top of my head: In Cold Blood, The Last Emperor, The Bang Bang Club, Stander, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Boys Don't Cry, The Straight Story... need I go on?

Plus, there are tons of events that happen on a yearly, if not monthly basis, which are screaming out to be films. While I have yet to see Sofia Coppola's The Bling Ring, the story it's based on is more ready-for-Hollywood than most fictional movies.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:13 pm 

I was just talking about The Bling Ring. It was pretty bad. It's sort of an interesting-ish premise and seems like the sort of subject Sofia Coppola could somehow make entertaining, it just failed on all fronts, really. Basically once the "these are vapid Hollywood wannabes who break into lame celebrities' houses to steal their stuff so they can be like them" premise is established, the movie just doesn't really do anything with it. Probably a good 60% or more of the movie's running time is just these kids wandering through celebrity houses, gawking over their fancy shit, then taking it. I don't really relate to the celebrity worship at all, which is fine because I didn't really relate to the characters in The Virgin Suicides or Lost in Translation, either, but she didn't really seem to make any effort to make me care.

Also, Emma Watson's character was the most annoying in the movie and she wasn't even very attractive in it, which is a huge shame because I have a giant crush on her.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:25 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
failsafeman wrote:
real life rarely offers dramatically satisfying stories that can fit into 2 hours.

Wow, I strongly disagree with this; there's countless real life stories that can fit comfortably into the 90-150 minute mark and be perfectly "dramatically satisfying," so long as the writer and director work closely together to deliver a compelling account. Countless excellent films are based closely on perfectly true stories. Off the top of my head: In Cold Blood, The Last Emperor, The Bang Bang Club, Stander, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Boys Don't Cry, The Straight Story... need I go on?

Oh come on dude, you cut out the most relevant part of my comment. Real life can absolutely offer dramatically satisfying stories, they just need a lot of monkeying - even if the events are mostly realistic, you can bet your bottom dollar that at the very least the dialog is much cleverer than what the people actually said, and that the film offers way more insight into the characters' inner workings than the simple reporting of events would have. These are things that most people take for granted in films, but have you seen Public Enemies? Like Earthcubed said, it's like a documentary without narration.

darkeningday wrote:
Plus, there are tons of events that happen on a yearly, if not monthly basis, which are screaming out to be films. While I have yet to see Sofia Coppola's The Bling Ring, the story it's based on is more ready-for-Hollywood than most fictional movies.

It's also a bad movie, and Sofia Coppola sucks.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:57 pm 

Fair point! It's definitely true the wheels of real life need at least a little greasing; how much depends largely on how smart/interesting the subjects are. I've actually avoided Public Enemies because of your nonplussed reaction towards it. Oh, and because it has Christian Bale.

I know nothing of the Bling Ring movie, just the story it's based around. As for Sofia Coppola, she was pretty fucking awful in Godfather 3, but I remember The Virgin Suicides being pretty good. Lost in Translation, on the other hand... :thumbsdown:
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:03 pm 

The Fighter was a pretty good movie based in real life. Real life plays out significantly differently than those same events told in anything like a selective artistic narrative. And some crazy things that happen in life would make a lame movie. For instance, I know a guy who went off a hill highway on a motorcycle, fell a hundred feet, actually survived and inched up the far side with broken leg and ribs and a concussion over the course of six hours. Imagine a movie that was just about that climb. It would take a little longer than three Ben Affleck movies, and would be comparably painful.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:23 pm 

Time for an obligatory brief look at every single Friday the 13th movie solely because of the day. I did this last year with the Halloween films, but I did it just because and not actually around Halloween.

Friday the 13th:
My personal favorite of the series. Likable characters, a couple cool deaths for 1980 (particularly Kevin Bacon getting stabbed through the throat with an arrow from underneath a bed), a great performance from Betsy Palmer, and it's genuinely scary at times. The quintessential slasher film, in my opinion.

Friday the 13th Part 2:
It's good, but not as good as the original. The main problem with it for me is that outside of the deaths and the general plot, it's quite forgettable. I remember only a couple of the character names, and even then only one instance of that is because they mention the character in Part 4, and the portrayal of Jason as being a mix of the hulking menace he would later be known as and this sort of dumb, forest dwelling, mute hick is strange compared to even Part 3.

Friday the 13th Part 3D:
Again, it's very forgettable for me outside of the deaths and the general plot. This one has a very strange look to it, like the picture is brighter than it really should be. This movie has one of the best deaths in the whole series; a character is walking on his hands when Jason shows up and splits him in half at the waist. The ending being a complete knockoff of the ending from the first movie was also entirely unnecessary.

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter:
In the race between this movie and Part 6 as being the best of the sequels, this one just barely edges out that movie due to having a bit more of the horror feel to it compared to Part 6. This movie shows the proper way to do slasher film victims, something that almost no slasher films nowadays do, as everyone in this movie (sans Jason) is incredibly likable and you don't want to see them die, especially in the ways that they do (poor Crispin Glover's face). The practical effects were the cream of the crop for their time, and show why Tom Savini was the king of horror film makeup. Proof in the pudding is Jason's death at the end, which ranks right up there with pretty much anything out of The Thing when it comes to the quality of the special effects. All around an awesome movie.

Friday the 13th: A New Beginning:
This on the other hand is nowhere near awesome. This one sucks, and, to me, is the only genuinely awful movie in the whole series. I read an article on Bloody Disgusting that tried to defend this movie as being one of the best in the whole series because of its sleaziness, and while the deaths are really cool and all, they don't save this stinker by any stretch of the imagination. Also has a major plot hole in terms of the main bad guy: When Roy decided to adopt Jason's M.O. after the murder of his son, how exactly did he acquire Jason's invincibility and strength? Thank fuck this was hated, as its failure led to...

Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part 6:
Just barely below The Final Chapter as the best sequel in the series. The inclusion of comedy and action movie elements (including a car chase, of all things) combined with characters as likable as the ones in The Final Chapter, if not more likable, make this the most entertaining movie of the whole series (the first one's watchability came from the horror factor). I really wish this wasn't the last movie to include Tommy Jarvis, but it makes sense that his character exits the series here.

Friday the 13th Part 7: The New Blood:
This movie is almost entirely carried by the performance of Lar Park Lincoln as Tina. She's the most interesting lead character of any of these movies aside from Tommy Jarvis. The deaths in this movie being as trimmed and edited as they are really hurts the movie for me, although I can see somebody else preferring that they don't show all of, for instance, the head crushing scene to leave it to the imagination. The only time Kane Hodder as Jason really makes the character into his own is when Tina telekinetically rips off his mask and you see his face, which is easily the most fucked up and evil looking "Jason face" of the whole series.

Friday the 13th Part 8: Jason Takes Manhattan:
The other only truly bad movie in the series, but it's still not as gutwrenchingly shitty as A New Beginning. I'll join everybody else who doesn't like this movie in asking why call the movie "Jason Takes Manhattan" if there's only about 20 minutes of the movie that actually takes place in New York City (and even then, most of that time is spent in generic urban slums that could be any major city in the world)? I get that there was a lot more of Manhattan that was written in and later cut out, but surely they could have come up with a different, more suitable name, right?

Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday:
Take the main problem with Part 2 and Part 3D and multiply that times 100. The beginning, end, the death scenes, and Duke are the only memorable elements of this movie. It doesn't suck, but it's just immensely forgettable. I didn't think the Jason hopping from body to body thing was as stupid as many others thought it was, but it represented the absolute furthest point the character had gotten from its origins at that point. That's really all I can say about this movie. Sorry.

Jason X:
I know people that absolutely hate this with a passion, but I think it's so bad it's good. Just say the premise out loud: Friday the 13th IN SPACE. How can't it be hilariously stupid? This movie has what might just be my favorite death in the whole series when Jason freezes a woman's head in a sink full of liquid nitrogen and then smashes it on a table. It's so completely preposterous that it's amazing. Also, the Camp Crystal Lake holodeck scene where Uber Jason mashes two naked camp counselors to death against a tree and each other while wrapped up in sleeping bags.

Freddy vs. Jason:
Pretty enjoyable, although it's sad to know that this was the last time Robert Englund played Freddy Krueger. Ronny Yu was an interesting choice for a director, as the fight scenes have camera angles you'd expect in a Hong Kong action movie, yet they work well here. The Romantic Plot Tumor of Jason Ritter and Monica Keena isn't as lethal a distraction as others would say, but it's still damn near the main focus of the movie when it really shouldn't be. I also applauding this movie for using the few CGI shots it has as a supplement to the practical effects, rather than completely replacing the practicals. More modern horror films need to do this, as CGI blood is one of the fakest looking things I've ever seen in a movie.

The remake:
I know I'm in the minority here, but I thought this was both a good remake and a good Friday the 13th movie. The characters fall a bit more into the trap of modern horror films where most of them aren't all that memorable likable (although there's only one person that you truly want to die), but you still aren't really rooting for any of them to die. Like Freddy vs. Jason, this movie also uses CGI to compliment the practical effects instead of being the only thing there, and for the most part they work. The sleeping bag on fire and Aaron Yoo getting a screwdriver to the throat were legit squirm worthy, particularly the latter as it's very slow and loaded with appropriate sound effects.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:07 pm 

I'd say Friday the 13th 8 was also in the "so bad it's good" category, especially toward the end. Just watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mluutEMR3hs

Why the fuck do the punch sound effects sound like he's bouncing a basketball?

darkeningday wrote:
Lost in Translation, on the other hand... :thumbsdown:

I really don't understand why people love that movie so much. I thought it suuuuuuuucked. It's an instance of fiction trying to be too much like real life - practically nothing happens, and the characters don't grow or change at all. I thought it could have been OK if the "aren't those Japanese so wacky" bits had been toned down, and ScarJo's character had grown somehow from her experiences there (decided to divorce her husband, be more assertive in her marriage, do something with her life, whatever), but instead it was just "aren't the Japanese weird, watch this bland woman befriend this douchey older guy, the end." I don't want to start getting personal here, but having grown up rich, it's like Sofia Coppola has a very limited understanding of emotions beyond self-centered ennui and vague depression.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:19 pm 

Pretty much everything after they get to New York in that movie is ridiculous in one way or another. The lame acting, the boxer's death scene as linked above, Jason scaring away muggers by showing him his face (although this was genuinely hilarious), Jason puking for absolutely no reason as the toxic waste gets closer to him, him turning back into a child for similarly no reason, it's just insane how much the last half hour or so of that movie descends into complete buffoonery while trying to remain serious for most of that time. It's still less "so bad it's good" than Jason X though, where the entire idea of the movie was so stupid that it was awesome. Almost everything in Jason Takes Manhattan that happens before their lifeboat rolls into New York is just lame, with a couple scenes that could fall under "so bad it's good" like the school whore trying to finagle her way into a passing grade by drawing various organs on her nearly nude body and making out with her teacher (which actually succeeds for a minute).

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:22 pm 

Hahaha I was about to make fun of you for knowing anything about Friday the 13th 8 but then I clicked the link and realized it was basically my favorite scene from any of those movies. I guess it's one of those situations where I'd assume that the really high-numbered sequels were from like, 4 years ago and have a bunch of bad CGI or something, but I'm probably more familiar with the later sequels than with some of the earlier movies.

I like Lost in Translation. But we've had that argument like fifteen times now so we'll just have to accept that you're wrong.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:24 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Jason scaring away muggers by showing him his face (although this was genuinely hilarious)

Yes! That bit is a classic too, my friends and I still reference it every now and then. The best part is how they don't just scream and run away, one of them is like "yo man, it's cool, it's cool man, it's cool," and THEN they run away. Also the fucking hilariously fake rap they're listening to. Livin' in the city ain't no big deal, livin' in the city ain't no big deal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obtc9U6hEYM

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 427, 428, 429, 430, 431, 432, 433 ... 818  Next