Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:53 am 

Wow. That Victory at Sea sounds bloody delicious. I wholeheartedly recommend the Big Eye, it's a damn good brew, with a 7% ABV. The fresh, pine/citrus notes are there in spades with a nicely balanced bitterness (I believe). Huge fan of this one. They have a rather tasty standard porter too, which is, unfortunately the only other Ballast Point brew I've had, but I'll be keeping my eye out for others...

My collection

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:08 pm 

Currently nursing a bomber of 2009 vintage Stone Old Guardian. Mmmm. Just about the perfect amount of aging on this. As expected the booziness is more noticeable, but there's still an assload of malt. Most importantly, though, the hops are massaged into the perfect role; they're still quite bitter but nowhere near as astringent and dominating as they are in a fresh bottle, and all of the tasty floral and citrus notes are still quite strong. Mmmm.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:25 am 

Anyone going to attend Zwanze Day at any of the locations that are holding it? A beer bar in Helsinki hosts one, but unfortunately I am in Amsterdam right now. Fortunately, Bierkoning in Amsterdam is holding one too, with Prairie Artisan Ales brewer in attendance and their beers available for the first time in Europe. Anyone familiar with those?

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:13 am 

So I've been beer shopping today and here is my haul:

3 Ravens European styled dark smoked ale (Australian brewery), North Coast Brewery's Brother Thelonious Belgian style Abbey ale and a Sierra Nevada Narwhal imperial stout. Never had the the Narwhal, but I have not been disappointed with a SN brew yet, so this will be (I'm assuming) tasty stuff. The 3 Ravens will be something new as well, and I'm hoping it can pull off the claim on the bottle... and continuing my almost obsession with strong ales is the North Coast. Looking forward to trying all of these.

And some more:

Grand Ridge Brewery dark side of juniper (Australian again), La Trappe quad oak aged version (oh god yes!) and a Renaissance chocolate oatmeal stout. The Grand Ridge is a limited edition, and I really have no idea what to expect with this one, so we'll see... the La Trappe, well, after MacMoney told me of this variant of one of my favourite beers (and they had some in stock) I could not pass this up. Considering how enamored I am with the regular quad, this is something I cannot wait to sample. Only had one other beer by the New Zealand brewery Renaissance, and it was an English styled IPA which was much more subdued on the hop and bitterness front than the American style. It wasn't bad, but maybe I'm starting to prefer the robust, sharper flavour of American IPA's... anyway this stout sounds tasty.

My collection

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:21 am 

You pretty much can't get Aussie or NZ brews here at all, which is both a shame and rather confusing considering there are shitloads of Aussie wines available here.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:28 am 

That's bad news too, because there is some excellent beers from both countries on the market. I also missed the opportunity to grab some Harviestoun old engine oil as I only just saw it after I had paid for these six... ah well next time I'll grab some, and they were out of the Mission Brewery shipwrecked DIPA too dammit.

My collection

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:35 am 

Murray's Whale Ale and Vale LGR for me today. :)

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:36 am 

I have enjoyed the local Malmgård brewery's beers lately.

http://malmgard.fi/?lang=en

They seem to be brewing the rather nice Huvila beers nowadays as well, but their own Belge and Blonde ales are surprisingly good ones. I guess these won't be available outside Finland, but the locals should try them, I think.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:09 pm 

I think there might be exactly one brewery (and exactly one beer) from Finland available in the U.S. Only seen one that I can think of. Seen a few Norwegian ones, a Swedish beer or two, even seen an Icelandic one. Pretty much nothing from Finland though.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:04 pm 

I think Sineberychoff's (Koff's) Porter is pretty much the best available Finnish beer in the US. However, Malmgård's Huvila Arctic Circle Ale and Huvila X-Porter are exported there as well. I think by the Shelton brothers, but I'm not sure.

As for why Australian and NZ beer is not common in the US while their wine is... Well, I'll get into that later, but let's just say terroir.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:35 am 

Earlier tonight I had a 5-year-old bottle of Troeg's Mad Elf. The taste wasn't really too dissimilar to how the stuff tastes fresh, i.e. decent amounts of sour cherries and sweetness from the honey. This beer was never really mind-blowing but this confirms that while, yes, it will keep for quite a long time, there's really no point in doing so, so if you've got some stashed away you may as well drink it right now.

Right now I'm nursing a 5-year-old Stone Oaked Arrogant Bastard. This one....hmm. The hops are pretty much totally gone. It's a bit boozier than usual. Still a decent bit of malt, but this thing is SWEET. Like, this tastes like the sweetest Wee Heavy ever plus a couple tablespoons of Belgian candi sugar. Pretty cloying, honestly. Still potable but definitely not better than fresh.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:51 am 

4 Pines El Dorado Pale Ale last night. Perhaps it was because of the spicey food but man that shit was incredible. Gorgeous IPA, perfectly balanced, but it was the hops that really made. Clean and fresh, a strong taste but such a delicious complex one. All this strange aftertaste of cotton candy and tropical fruit, while still being rather, well, hoppy. Probably my beer of the year alongside a random limited ed. Mountain Goat amber ale, super recommended! :)

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:29 am 

I've been drinking Long Trail Ale and Amber Woodchuck over the past few days. Two great session beverages.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:22 pm 

Went to Two Roads Brewery today for their Ok2berfest. Their traditional Marzen was good, the "modern" golden Octoberfest was sour and tasted sorta like old Molson Golden. Enjoyable event, got an awesome stein upon entrance that makes the perfect sound while toasting. There was some great food, supplied by food trucks, one specializing in meatballs ran out of them very early (I got there before 2pm and they were out by then) and there was a truck that specialized in french fries who had some great Belgian style fries topped with fresh barbecued pulled pork, bacon, onions, and mushrooms. Quite pricey as it was $15 to enter then $6 per pint, but an enjoyable event. Hopefully they can the marzen and sell it so I don't have to go there for it.

THEMICRULAH wrote:
I've been drinking Long Trail Ale and Amber Woodchuck over the past few days. Two great session beverages.

Good beers, but I find that I can't session a cider like that because of the sugars in it. I find that session beers need to be a bit lighter or the extra malt/sugar in there builds up and hits me hard.

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:24 pm 

I've been sipping on Dirty Bastard all weekend, a favorite of mine for years. Founders brewery makes a great beer. They have a good breakfast stout that I can't seem to find these days.

I just now cracked open the Dragon's Milk, so I can't say anything about it. My older brother had a bottle of it a couple years ago and fucking hated it so I'm finally getting around to seeing what he was talking about.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:38 pm 

That's a pair of tasty beers there, for sure. Founder's Breakfast Stout is also delicious. I did a road trip to Michigan a few years back that involved hitting up just about every brewery in the state and, though we didn't plan it this way, we wound up at Founder's for the weekend they released Kentucky Breakfast Stout (like an amped-up, bourbon barrel aged version of the Breakfast Stout). From what I understand that stuff's nigh impossible to get your hands on and sells out completely by the end of the weekend. It was, as you'd expect, faaaaaaaantastic stuff.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:18 pm 

It's that time of year where the autumnal seasonals are out in full force, particularly pumpkin-flavored brews and Oktoberfest variants. I've been reluctant to partake in any since I've read and heard of so many that are either too flavorful or devoid of pumpkin altogether in favor of heavy spices and cinnamon and nutmeg and so forth. That says nothing of beers which are virtually absent of any of the aforementioned additives altogether. This year I've decided to buck that trend and seek out what's generally considered among the top shelf with Southern Tier's Pumpking. I'm not sure what to expect outside of a mouthful of pumpkin pie in liquid form and whether that's even what I want or not remains to be seen, but here's to being adventurous. Any other seasonal recommendations, to include meads and ciders, would also certainly be appreciated as I'll need some options to tide me over for the next couple of months until Thirsty Dog's 12 Dogs of Christmas is on sale. :beer:

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:54 pm 

I miss the Augustiner Brau from Munich this summer. Can't find it over here.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:27 pm 

Well, the last of the 5-year old beer just went down the sink. This was a pint of Pickled Santa that had lived up to its name.

FredGarvin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:58 pm 

Drinking a Green Flash Brewing Co Double Stout Black Ale right now. Good stuff!

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:59 pm 

Been drinking a lot of Fall Woodchuck lately. I have a new cider obsession, methinks.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:16 pm 

Today's haul:

Old Dominion - Gigi's Farmhouse Ale
Sierra Nevada - Beer Camp #65 (2012 Imperial Red Ale)
Sierra Nevada - 2012 Ruthless Rye
Coopers Brewery - Best Extra Stout (after seeing the Pale Ale and Sparkling for sale here for years, it was great to finally nab this one)
Ommegang - BPA
Gulden Draak - 9000 (quad)
Piraat - Privateer

Gonna hit up the shittier beer store later this week to get some cheaper seasonals for sessioning* purposes.

*Note that "sessioning" is here used as a fancy euphemism for drinking alone.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:22 pm 

"training" also works. My mom went to the US this weekend, I asked her to bring me some beer we can't find here. I got some Rolling Rock (we can find it here but she didn't know, I wanted something a bit classier...). But thanks mom, good "sessioning" beer!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:03 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
"training" also works. My mom went to the US this weekend, I asked her to bring me some beer we can't find here. I got some Rolling Rock (we can find it here but she didn't know, I wanted something a bit classier...). But thanks mom, good "sessioning" beer!

Got a kick out of this :lol:

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:28 pm 

Got some of this today:

Tasty!!!

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:44 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
So I've been beer shopping today and here is my haul:

3 Ravens European styled dark smoked ale (Australian brewery), North Coast Brewery's Brother Thelonious Belgian style Abbey ale and a Sierra Nevada Narwhal imperial stout. Never had the the Narwhal, but I have not been disappointed with a SN brew yet, so this will be (I'm assuming) tasty stuff. The 3 Ravens will be something new as well, and I'm hoping it can pull off the claim on the bottle... and continuing my almost obsession with strong ales is the North Coast. Looking forward to trying all of these.

And some more:

Grand Ridge Brewery dark side of juniper (Australian again), La Trappe quad oak aged version (oh god yes!) and a Renaissance chocolate oatmeal stout. The Grand Ridge is a limited edition, and I really have no idea what to expect with this one, so we'll see... the La Trappe, well, after MacMoney told me of this variant of one of my favourite beers (and they had some in stock) I could not pass this up. Considering how enamored I am with the regular quad, this is something I cannot wait to sample. Only had one other beer by the New Zealand brewery Renaissance, and it was an English styled IPA which was much more subdued on the hop and bitterness front than the American style. It wasn't bad, but maybe I'm starting to prefer the robust, sharper flavour of American IPA's... anyway this stout sounds tasty.

Tell me about the Thelonious one! I've been wanting it for quite a while already.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:09 am 

Oh man, Sierra Nevada. I wish I could get that here.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:58 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Tell me about the Thelonious one! I've been wanting it for quite a while already.

You're from the Netherlands? Try a proper Belgian instead. Or one from microbreweries of your own country. I've found that while the Americans do hoppy ales splendidly and often the stronger stouts, porters and barley wines well, the Belgian styles they usually get a bit wrong. A bit too clean perhaps.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:10 am 

MacMoney has hit it on the head. It wasn't bad, but compared to a European abbey ale... well it left me wanting. The Sierra Nevada narwhal however, that was a superb beer, and strong too! Still haven't cracked the La Trappe yet...

My collection

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:19 am 

Batman, definitely report back on the Cooper's extra stout.. highly curious as to your thoughts on it! Just bought a bunch of extra stout longnecks :)

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:10 am 

MacMoney wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

You're from the Netherlands? Try a proper Belgian instead. Or one from microbreweries of your own country. I've found that while the Americans do hoppy ales splendidly and often the stronger stouts, porters and barley wines well, the Belgian styles they usually get a bit wrong. A bit too clean perhaps.

Yeah, I'm from The Netherlands indeed and I know my FAIR share about beers and such but I'm looking to explore some unknown territory, plus I'm a fan of Thelonious Monk.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:44 am 

There's definitely better American takes on Belgian beers, and to be honest even a few I would sometimes pick over actual Belgian beers, but I don't know that there's many which are available outside the U.S. There's certainly very few which are as widely produced as North Coast Brother Thelonious.

That being said, I don't recommend Thelonious. Nothing particularly bad about it, at least that I can remember, I just didn't think it was special or worth the price. When it comes to the stronger Belgian dark ales---abbey quads and the grey line between quads and dubbels---I think Allagash Odyssey and Allagash FOUR are better. A lot more expensive, but better. Slightly less expensive than those but more expensive than Thelonious is Ommegang Three Philosophers, though it's a bit different from your standard Belgian dark ale (it's 98% dark ale, 2% cherry lambic). A cheaper better option is Boulevard Sixth Glass, and though it is very unusual I also prefer fresh Boulevard BBQ, or Bourbon Barrel Quad (a mix of multiple batches of dark ales aged in bourbon barrels with cherries blended with a small amount of sour beer). I also prefer some American dubbels like Ommegang Abbey and (aged) Goose Island Pere Jacques.

And it's Canadian, but Unibroue 17 Grande Reserve is also better. Been a few years since I last had Le Terrible, but I remember liking it too.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:59 am 

Just had some Das Weizen. Very smooth with some creamy overtones, most delicious. Some German restaurant offers 1 for 1 for every food and beverage bought to students from my college for some reason, so I've been frequenting it alone recently.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:04 am 

Some of my favourite beers:

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:10 am 

If we're on the subject of favorite beers...

I'm a darker beer kind of guy!

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:07 am 

Arrogant Bastard is one of the top 3 things I miss about the States. I love thick, full-bodied, dark as fuck ales.

SwampSlimer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:37 am 

Two excellent beers.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:37 am 

somefella wrote:
Arrogant Bastard is one of the top 3 things I miss about the States. I love thick, full-bodied, dark as fuck ales.

I can easily obtain them from where I am at!

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:48 am 

THEMICRULAH wrote:
Got some of this today:

Tasty!!!

I can't find this stuff anywhere. I've heard mixed things but I'm still pretty curious and the packaging is cool.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:10 pm 

Got it because of the Samhain theme. It's a pretty standard Guinness, with only a 4.10% ABV. Black as pitch! The flavor is not strong at all. It's like the light beer of stouts. Great for pairing with meals though, and a great thirst quencher.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 86  Next