Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:58 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Alright darkening, you convinced me to watch Space: AaB. I started to watch the pilot a while back but I was really tired and didn't make it. I'll do round 2 soon as I'm done with Enterprise.

Yay! The pilot's a bit weak (although not horrible) but the show definitely picks up by its 4th or 5th episode. The only completely crap episode is the one named "The Enemy." The second half of the series is just an unbeatable streak of awesome. And yes, the CGI does improve.

EDIT: Also, what did you think of the Enterprise episode where T'Pol had to deal with Vulcan AIDS? Effective morality play or a bit too transparent and preachy to have the desired effect? I personally loved it but I can definitely see why someone wouldn't.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:58 am 

Honestly it didn't strike me in any particular way. It was decent, but pretty underdeveloped, I'd say.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:19 am 

Any other obsessive Workaholics fans on the board?
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:26 am 

I'm an obsessive workaholic.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:27 am 

Gotta get that honey. BEAR ME!
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:38 pm 

Just watched the first episode of Agents of SHIELD, pretty decent show. It will be a cool and entertaining spin off.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:15 pm 

Can anyone tell me how American Horror Story season 2 (Asylum) compares to season 1 (Murder House)? I enjoyed the first season as a nice change of pace from all the 'criminal protagonist' shows I watch, and I'll check out season 3 when it premieres in a week and a half. I'm trying to decide how much effort I should put into getting season 2 on DVD, since I've heard it wasn't as good as season 1.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:18 pm 

It was alright. I can't really say one way or the other whether it was better or worse than the first season since both seasons had cool stuff but also some sort of annoying things that continually kept it from being really good. As the name suggests, it does have a much different feel than the first season, with a focus on fucked up insane asylum horror stuff rather than classic haunted house tropes.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:32 pm 

Thanks. I think at one point I was considering watching season 2 on DVD while season 3 is airing, but I'd probably confuse myself if I tried that. I'll put off season 2 until 3 has concluded, which apparently is sometime in January.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:35 pm 

Well, season two has Chloë Sevigny and much less of Dylan McDermott, making it better than the first season by default.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:53 pm 

My stepbrother and I taped hours and hours of random sitcoms and specials off network TV as kids. I think it was because even though we were fully aware of the concepts of reruns and syndication, we thought could turn our recordings into some kind of neighborhood bootleg business.

Watching full episodes of The Critic and The Norm Show with zany, "EXTREME!" '90s commercials intact is one of the more fulfilling ways I've wasted my time in a while.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:55 pm 

Oh...I wouldn't worry about plot continuity. Season 2 is basically just a completely different show about different stuff, albeit with some of the same actors. I assume season 3 will be a whole new story line again.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:57 pm 

I wouldn't call myself a fan of Dermot Mulroney Dylan McDermott, won't be watching that new show he's on. But the presence of Chloe S isn't exactly a guarantee of quality. She was in The Brown Bunny for God's sake.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:56 am 

I actually rather liked The Brown Bunny; Vincent Gallo is a curious guy and his movies provide a unique aperture into the mind of a weirdo.

Replace Brown Bunny with "anything made by Harmony Korine," though, and I'd happily concur.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:02 am 

AHS season 2 was a lot of fun. Nazi doctors, sexy possessed nuns and serial killers, oh my.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:47 am 

The new South Park episode is not funny and very boring. Why can't they make funny and creative themes instead of current trend/political crap. I hate when they forget about making jokes and just get on their soapbox, as if they're not preaching to the choir. Terrible start to the season, especially after such a long wait.

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:11 am 

AHS' third season has a pretty solid premise plus you have Kathy Bates in a role Ryan Murphy claims will be ten times worse than Annie Wilkes (Misery).

Plus it's always great to see Jessica Lange.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:45 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
The new South Park episode is not funny and very boring. Why can't they make funny and creative themes instead of current trend/political crap. I hate when they forget about making jokes and just get on their soapbox, as if they're not preaching to the choir. Terrible start to the season, especially after such a long wait.

Just watched it. Yep, was hoping they'd at least make an attempt to be funny with this season, but it doesn't look like there's any intention of that.

I wish South Park would go back to being its own little world rather than taking one uninteresting current topic and hammering the same sentiment into your face for 20 minutes with nothing interesting happening.

:boring:

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

slayrrr666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:12 pm 

The Big Bang Theory
Welcome to the Family-When their underachieving daughter graduates high school by announcing she's pregnant with the class valedictorian's child, the two families from differing cultures get together to try to make a safe environment for the kids to grow up and raise their family. Strangely, this one wasn't all that bad at all and really had some good points, especially about the way the plot serves as the set-up for a movie but also one that works well as a sitcom. More than likely, the season finale is the child's birth which will launch the second season and feature how the two differing families focus on actually raising a child, as the first is mostly going to be about who knows best to provide for their children and how they're going to grow up, which in itself isn't a bad way of going about things in the long run. If it makes sure the two families are likable, this could be onto something.
The Crazy Ones
Sean Saves the World-A man tries to raise his apathetic teenage daughter after years of being away while balancing working for a ruthless dick of a boss. Still not entirely sold on this one since it's basically the same guy from 'Will and Grace' only now with a teen in tow, which gives this a formulaic and pretty meandering feeling as it winds through the paces of him not having a backbone at work while making sure his daughter likes him at home. Doesn't really leave itself with a lot of work to room either as that storyline can get old really fast if that's all it's going to work with, so this one needs some help to survive.
The Michael J. Fox Show

i don't consider gordon ramsay to be a chef, because i haven't been to his restaurants, and i'm not interested in his food

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:04 pm 

:confused:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:07 pm 

Seriously, slayrrr666, what are you doing? Sounds like you're just copy-pasting opinions from elsewhere...

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:38 pm 

And he's not even bothering to format them coherently...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:08 pm 

We also don't need a synopsis for everything you watch, most namely super popular shows and movies 90% of the world is aware of.

Am I alone in thinking Agents of Shield would be far more enjoyable if they dialed back on the 'humour'? It's exhausting to watch all the characters bicker and complain, or make unrealistic and sexual based judgements like "Just because you're reasonable.. And firm" and "She is such an a--, wait, asset?" Also the fight scenes look so choreographed and weak they might as well be dancing. I don't know, I've give it another two episodes but my interest is waning.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:14 pm 

I see what you mean. Not only that, but I find it very annoying when shows try too hard to have their characters be oh so snarky, witty, quirky, sassy, etc..., like... constantly. The series is definitely guilty of this more often than not, my eyes were rolling quite a bit these first two episodes. Still, I want to like this shows and so far it has been more fun than not. Though not by that much.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:45 am 

Has anyone seen that French show, Les Revenants? I was only made aware of it because Mogwai provide the soundtrack but it seems like it could be pretty interesting.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:01 am 

About Agents of SHIELD, the first episode was ok but the second one was pretty boring. Outside Coulson, the characters are pretty meh and plastic. The handsome boyscout who's badass, the nerdy science British couple, that Asian "ohhhhh dark past and shit" badass and this hacker chick (I mean, what the hell, I can't believe that girl can hack the SHIELD's computer from a laptop in a van. Really, come on, she's not Tony Stark). It has a massive budget that goes in special effects but it would had been cool to get some slightly known actors instead of pretty dudes and babes. The pacing of the show is very good though and it's entertaining so I'll keep watching it. Nonetheless, it doesn't have the depth Firefly had nor it has really solid ties to the Marvel universe. I often have to tell myself "hey, right, Coulson met Thor and stuff!"

Nerdiest hacker ever: http://comicbook.com/wp-content/uploads ... 8/b9sj.jpg It's fun to break some stereotypes but this one feels forced.

I also finished Farscape, I only need to watch The Peacekeeper Wars! Probably one of my favorite series ever. It has everything I like.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:45 am 

I tried to get into Agents of Shield but I ended up flipping channels midway during the first episode. It just didn't have me hooked and convinced enough about the authenticity of these new characters.

Anybody following the new Homeland? I haven't seen posts about the latest season so far here so...

Spoiler: show
S03E01 pretty much started where the last season ended and there was an attempt for the agency to do damage control regarding the bombing and Carrie's involvement. I had kinda forgotten the nitty-gritty details of the previous season, so I'm glad it started off slow and this served as a refresher to the plot. It was okay in general. Carrie getting crucified was predicted. No updates on Brody yet. One thing that annoyed me though was, I felt that too much time was spent on Dana's character. That whole sexting bit was a bit pointless and uncomfortable to watch. That's just me. I'll look forward to the new episode.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:49 am 

I actually just finished S2 last week, in time for the S3 premiere. The episode was a little slow, but honestly the show needed a bit of a slowdown after the S2 finale. I'm really interested in seeing where things go this season, though.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:02 pm 

Can anyone recommend a sitcom similar to Coupling (UK)? Or any sitcom that has a similar character like Jeff Murdock (Richard Coyle)?
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Wedge_Antilles
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:37 pm 

So I figured I should get back to watching The Wire. I saw the first episode a few months ago, and decided to pick it back up now. Just finished watching the second episode, and am definitely digging it.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:33 am 

doomster999 wrote:
Can anyone recommend a sitcom similar to Coupling (UK)?

Fresh Meat. It's probably my second favorite comedy of all time with only Peep Show (ironically created by the same people) coming out only slightly ahead. Although the first two series of Fresh Meat are much better than the first two of Peep Show...

doomster999

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:21 am 

^ Thanks man. Seems very interesting so far.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:52 am 

Ugh, I'm not going to give up on American Horror Story season 3 after one episode, considering how much I enjoyed season 1. But the Coven premiere rubbed me the wrong way. I don't remember, did any of the episodes from Murder House have such overuse of odd camera angles? I just saw Battlefield Earth recently and had to check to make sure whoever directed that Dutch-angle-fest wasn't also calling the shots for "Bitchcraft."

Plot-wise, we have
Spoiler: show
teenage girl kills a boy she's fooling around with, then ends up at a school for people like her. Virtually identical to Anna Paquin's intro from the first X-Men movie. I sincerely hope our protagonist will discover other abilities as the season progresses, because riding guys to death will get old really fast. Shit, it happened twice in the premiere.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:53 am 

Currently on X-Files season 4. Show was at it's best here around '95-'96.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:29 pm 

I just finished watching Season 3 yesterday. It really does have some outstanding episodes. Some of the best main plotline stuff was introduced around season 3, but it also had some super memorable monster-of-the-week eps, like D.P.O., Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, War of the Coprophages, Pusher, Quagmire, etc. War of the Coprophages is one of my favorites, with some really fucking fantastic humor.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:00 pm 

Clyde Buckman's Final Repose is one of my favourite episodes. Fantastic stuff. And yeah, War of the Coprophages is such a fun episode. A really strong season.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:46 pm 

Haha a couple episodes shy of starting season 4 here. I watched X Files obsessively when it was originally on and it's just as good now as it was then... hell, maybe even better.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:25 am 

As a kid I remember season 2 the most, so that one sticks with me as a favorite. F. Emasculata, humbug, etc. is so kickass
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

doomster999

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:32 am 

Most amusing X-Files episode to me is "Triangle". Scully smooches Skinner! Hilarious stuff. The follow up Dreamland duology is also quite funny.

Last.fm

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:03 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Clyde Buckman's Final Repose.

It is definitely among the top 3 or 5, or perhaps even the best. I think I've mentioned it here before, but I found the overall plot of the series to be really cringeworthy and uninteresting. It's the standalone episodes that were the best. Some of them were dull, mystery of the week-type, sure, but the best episodes are definitely among those and the ones I skipped were the plot ones. At least after the first two, three seasons.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 182  Next