Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:01 pm 

Sam Adams Octoberfest is really good this year, best it's been in quite a few years. I can get it pretty cheap by the case too!

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:10 pm 

Slimer, TED's? Really? Might as well drink West End/xxxx/VB etc, tastes just as bad but at least it's cheaper

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:17 pm 

I went to pick up some fall seasonal stuff today; I figured I'd get an interesting pumpkin beer since I don't drink 'em too often as well as a good fall seasonal cider, but instead I found two pumpkin beers that I hadn't had before. Starr Hill's got a pumpkin porter called Boxcarr. I haven't really been blown away by any of Starr Hill's stuff just yet, but I've never had a pumpkin porter so I figure I'll give it a whirl. I expect it to be pretty average but hey, it was cheap. I also picked up a sixer of Flying Dog's new season, The Fear. Marketed as an imperial pumpkin ale and stands at 9% ABV or something, so we'll see how it compares to something like Pumking.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:32 pm 

Went to Magic Hat's Oktoberfeast event at their brewery today. Got to sample a few of their beers straight off of the tap, they had an exclusive brew which was a maple chocolate stout, definitely my favorite. I'd compare it to Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout, but with a slightly lower ABV of 7.7%. There was free food samples of all kinds available as well, and a live band playing called the Blind Owl band. They were a strings band playing bluegrass style tunes. I feel lucky to be from Vermont, a state with many great breweries!!
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:22 am 

Some thoughts on what I've drank tonight:

Starr Hill Boxcarr Pumpkin Porter - This was pretty much exactly as I expected. Mouthfeel was a bit thin, and the roasty malt presence was a bit hard to make out. Not that the pumpkin and spices were really a huge kick in the mouth, either; this is a pretty subtle beer through and through. As is often the case for kind of second-tier stuff in lower ABV's, this felt kind of cheaply made and overcarbonated. Still pretty sessionable, though. Plus I only paid $7 for the sixer I think.

Old Dominion Gigi's Farmhouse Ale - Marketed as a Farmhouse/Saison, this seemed somewhere between that and a Biere de Garde. Really crisp sour apple on the nose and right up front on the tongue. Fairly tart and sweet right out of the gate. Then, all that saison goodness flashed across the tongue for an instant: the slight funkiness, the peppery, estery yeast and the spices. Then, it had this sort of lingering grassy, bitter (but not hoppy at all) aftertaste that wasn't the best. This thing was also massively carbonated, which could've been toned down a bit. Still, the upfront flavors were good enough to polish off the bomber with no reservations.

Flying Dog The Fear - This one's an imperial pumpkin ale, as advertised. Shitloads of pumpkin pie/gingerbread spice on the nose, with gobs of pumpkin on the tongue to go along with it. Still, there's good maltiness throughout, winding up with a pretty well-balanced beer considering how brazenly pumpkin-worshipping it is. The 9% ABV is utterly hidden. You could get right tanked up on this stuff quick I reckon. Really good pumpkin beer, one of the better ones I've had for sure.

SwampSlimer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:45 am 

caspian wrote:
Slimer, TED's? Really? Might as well drink West End/xxxx/VB etc, tastes just as bad but at least it's cheaper

I find Ted's tastes quite different to those beers. Besides which, I'm not really a fan of the beers you mentioned. :-P I agree on the price, though, unless its on special.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:31 pm 

I bought these today:

-Muifelbrouwerij Beersky (Heavy Whiskey beer (11%) brewed with strong turfed Bairds Whiskey malt (25 ppm smoke) and strong peat)

-De Hemel Nieuw Ligt Grand Cru (Ready to drink, but at its peak in 2015, caramel malty, bitter dried fruit and hazy orange finish)

-Duits & Lauret Houtgerijpte Rook Dubbelbock (Hazy dark amber beer, notes of smoke and roasted malt. Sweet with notes of smoke, roasted malt, and iodine, dry smokey finish)

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:34 pm 

What's that one on the far left there? Really interesting looking bottle (is that plastic? how quaint!), and a really deep color on the beer.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:45 am 

The one on the far left is Dr. Pepper. The one before that is this:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/muifelbrou ... ey/192064/

lurkist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:46 pm 

Has there been much talk of home brew here? Just sampled my first ever batch and, I hafta shay folksh, itsh quite the shuckshesh...

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:50 pm 

lurkist wrote:
Has there been much talk of home brew here?

Don't think so but I'm quite interested on the matter:
http://viviendoapesardelacrisis.blogspot.com.es/2013/05/el-do-it-yourself-de-la-cerveza-mejor.html
I'm trying to make my first one!
Tell us more about yours!

lurkist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:14 pm 

Not much to tell really, just followed the instructions! It's a lot simpler than you'd think, and the results were a lot better than expected (considering it was my first time). The beer I usually buy, chosen for it's quality/strength/value, is about £1.70 per litre. This kit works out at £0.52 per litre! And it's easily as strong, and damn near as tasty too!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:42 pm 

I really like the normal St-Ambroise IPA so my friend and I decided to try this one and it's even better. Definitely one of the best IPA I tried and it's starting to be one of my favorite sort of beer. This one wasn't quite bitter as I expected to be and it was very very flavorful.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:15 am 

Mmmm I like a good DIPA, will look out for that one...

Trying this tonight:

"Redoak’s Organic Pale Ale was Australia's first organic beer brewed. It is an English style Pale ale which is brewed using only certified organically grown malt and hops. A specially chosen strain of London Ale yeast gives a distinctive fruity character with a firm hop bitterness and rich malty flavour.

This sounds like delicious.

My collection

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:29 am 

Man I am so sick of the IPAs. I love hoppy beer, but the style is just really getting old for me. I want something black as pitch or nothing at all right now!!! :P

I've still got a couple Old Rasputins left in the fridge (thank GOD!!! :P) and some Magic Hat Seance, which is a dark beer you can session... :D

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:32 am 

For me it's ALL about the IPA's. Really love 'em on a hot afternoon. Either that or a strong Belgian ale, but this seems a nice, lighter alternative.

My collection

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:34 am 

I don't think I could ever get bored of a fresh, refreshingly fruity, bitter and dry IPA.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:54 am 

Let me know if you can find it, Crushed. It will probably cost you an arm though! It was 12.99 for me for a sixer and it's a local beer!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

roibert88
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:23 am 

Boreal and micro brasserie Dieu du ciel

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:10 pm 

Spoiler: show

:-D

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:20 pm 

HAHA! I have an empty bottle atop my kitchen cabinets, forever taunting me, along with my other favorite brews I've sampled... I love you, Arrogant Bastard.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:25 am 

Got some of these for today's warm spring afternoon:

Mountain Goat hightail ale, and my favourite session IPA the Big Eye. Mountain Goat make some tasty, but non-threatening beers, but the Big Eye is my go to beer; it's too damn good!

My collection

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:01 am 

Really looking forward to summer this year. Big pales and hell, even a healthy swig of so-cold-I-can't-taste-it West End at the cricket.

Good beer season.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:59 am 

Bezerko wrote:
Really looking forward to summer this year. Big pales and hell, even a healthy swig of so-cold-I-can't-taste-it West End at the cricket.

Good beer season.

Summer's past already, ya prick!

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:08 pm 

I feel like there is something wrong with me, I can only drink super pale bear once a month at the most :( give me molasses black pitch liquid, please.

Metallumz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:39 pm 

Been on the Robinson's Unicorn ale tonight, as much as I enjoy the Trooper ale they also brew down the road from me in Stockport it's nice to have a change once in a while. 4 pints of the Unicorn and i'm only half-buzzed which isn't too bad for a 5hrs night worth.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:38 am 

THEMICRULAH wrote:
Man I am so sick of the IPAs. I love hoppy beer, but the style is just really getting old for me. I want something black as pitch or nothing at all right now!!! :P

I've still got a couple Old Rasputins left in the fridge (thank GOD!!! :P) and some Magic Hat Seance, which is a dark beer you can session... :D

I'm sort of in the same boat as you with IPAs. I love 'em, but at the same time, every fucking "craft" brewer seems to put out an IPA and a Stout (usually a milk stout and/or an imperial) and I feel like it's overload. I get more excited now when I see someone put out a pilsner or something than another IPA. I've been trying to branch out into more Belgian and sour ales, too.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:23 pm 

I drank that Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye the other day. Really fucking tasty beer, with loads of that distinctly sour rye flavor but balanced by plenty of hops heft. It was probably a little more potent than Founder's Red's Rye and probably closer to something like Bear Republic's Hop Rod. Delicious.

Also drank that bottle of Coopers Best Extra Stout. I'm not exactly an expert in export stouts (I think the only other one I've had is Guinness Foreign Extra) but I dig how they occupy that middle ground between lighter English/American stouts and the intensity of imperial/double stouts. There's vague hints of coffee and chocolate, but not really any of the fruitiness you find in bigger stouts. It's mainly just a showcase for the roasted malts. If this were more readily available I'd session this stuff all winter long.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:21 pm 

Today at the grocery store I built my own six pack. The selection was mainly entry level craft beers, but I hadn't tried some of them yet so it was pretty cool.

I got Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, Shipyard Pumpkinhead, Third Shift Amber Lager, Wolaver's Brown Ale, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and Blue Moon Belgian Ale. I've tried the Sam Adams and Pumpkinhead so far, both were very good! The Pumpkinhead was one of the better pumpkin beers I've tried, and the Sam Adams tasted like cherry coke :P

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:29 pm 

Had a couple new bottles recently: Magic Hat's Séance and Left Hand's Nitro Milk Stout. They were both surprisingly meh, especially the latter, which had basically no head at all and no real interesting flavors to speak of. Very flat experience. The Séance was better, a decent saison with a really cool label, but I don't think I'd pick it up again in a hurry.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:54 am 

THEMICRULAH wrote:
I can only drink super pale bear once a month at the most :(

Metantoine had better be careful eh?

My collection

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:04 am 

crushed, if that big ass ReAle is being sold in your Dan Murphy's, buy the shit out of it. Awesome IPA, best I've had in a fair while.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:24 am 

The St Ambroise? I'll be on the lookout for it at my local craft beer importer next shopping spree, if that's what you're talking about.

My collection

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:48 am 

spent the last couple of weeks in NZ and drank a lot of Speight's, both a "gold medal" and "summit" ale. Fantastic beers for a major brewery to be pumping out. even did the brewery tour in dunedin, where they let us have about 20min alone with the bar at the end of the tour to taste as much as we wanted. brilliant. got back to aus and checked at uncle dan's for some, only to be told that speight's don't export. almost cried!

currently having a 4 pines hefeweizen... wouldn't really rate it. doesn't taste like a true hefe, not enough substance to it. like a hefeweizen-flavoured lager.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:00 am 

Yeah Speights was okay, when I was in NZ, and we almost went for a tour through the Monteith's brewery at sullen Greymouth, but ran out of time unfortunately.

Most of the Four Pines stuff is rather underwhelming, with, as you said the hefeweizen being no exception.

I'm about to crack a Mountain Goat steam ale. This is pretty tasty, light stuff.

My collection

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:50 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
THEMICRULAH wrote:
I can only drink super pale bear once a month at the most :(

Metantoine had better be careful eh?

Oh God :lol: I have been known to make hilarious typos.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:16 am 

Open letter to CrushedRevelation

Dear sir,

I have tried Ballast Point "Big Eye" IPA tonight as a result of your continuous praise of it in this thread. I would like to congratulate you on your recommendation of a tasty beverage. That said, Vale IPA is better, so learn to drink good beer.

Sincerely, this guy.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:08 pm 

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:21 pm 

this beer is just freaking fantastic. can't get enough. shame it's only seasonal!

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:00 pm 

Turner wrote:

this beer is just freaking fantastic. can't get enough. shame it's only seasonal!

Their Weizenbock, or "Vitus" is awesome too. It hits that spot of having a ton of flavor but still being very refreshing.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 86  Next