* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:58 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Spoiler: show
that said I hope it's the last we ever hear about Dana.

Fingers crossed!

His one episode was excellent, though.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:45 pm 

Haha, yeah...

was that her getting written out of the show? Honestly that scene was stupid as fuck. She's what, 16? And one day she's just like, "I'm basically running away from home but I'm gonna tell you about it" and after about thirty seconds her mom's just like, "yeah ok, cool, I dig. Here's some money."

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:53 pm 

Homeland...

It never occurred to me that they could be writing Dana off the show. Too good to be true but it would be a really silly way to exit as batman pointed out. I somehow have a bad feeling that she'll pop up again though.

I was wondering the same about Brody but with these two significant characters and a lot going on with them individually, I guess the writers are just trying to avoid clutter. Anyway, I'm not complaining too much about the recent lack of Brody. We should see him in an episode two weeks from now. The last episode was good and the season is shaping up well.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:58 pm 

Homeland:
I don't care about Brody all that much, to be honest, I find Carrie to be infinitely more interesting and compelling. But I'd still rather see more Brody and less Dana. :lol: And he's kinda important to the story, or so you'd think... wonder where they're going with him.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:52 am 

Any opinions on "The Blacklist"?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:15 am 

I dislike its somewhat episodic approach, but I'm more of a story-arc-based stuff guy in general when it comes to TV series. And well, there is a greater plot, though it often takes second place when they're chasing the current blacklister-of-the-week. Seven episodes so far and through bits and pieces of varying magnitudes scattered across each one things appear to be culminating ever so slightly.

As for the series itself, it's pretty solid. I like to put it on for dinner or when I'm just bored and such. Tad bit on the routine side of drama and action and suspense and all that jazz, yet it has a mildly fresh air to it. James Spader makes a good manipulative, smug bastard (I couldn't believe this was the same guy who played Daniel Jackson in the original Stargate movie :P ). The rest of the cast is okay, I guess.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:00 am 

Just finished Farscape. Really phenomenal stuff. I did definitely feel like the miniseries finale was "rushed" a bit but was still handled really well given the circumstances. A couple things about the end kind of left me pretty depressed, though:

D'argo dying was just...ugh. So heartbreaking. As I was telling Metantoine earlier, if he had always had this sort of warrior spirit where the best possible way for him to go would be to die gloriously in battle defending his loved ones (which is what he did) then I would've been ok with it. However, despite being part of a warrior race and being a damn fine soldier and leader himself, all he ever really wanted was to settle down on some rural planet somewhere and become a farmer and raise a family. He was crushed when Chiana basically expressed no interest in that life at all (plus banging his more carefree son didn't help of course) but by the end of season 4 she seemed to be warming up to the idea and I think they could've been happy.

That, plus as the series went on Crichton had more and more emotional stress and trauma resulting from all of the violence he continually found himself responsible for, to the point where it was absolutely causing him serious mental health issues. His demonstration of the wormhole weapon effectively resulted in peace, but he killed probably tens of thousands of people in the process; that's gonna fuck him up for life, for sure.

Great show. Highly recommended.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:04 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Just finished Farscape. Really phenomenal stuff. I did definitely feel like the miniseries finale was "rushed" a bit but was still handled really well given the circumstances. A couple things about the end kind of left me pretty depressed, though:

Great show. Highly recommended.

Oh dear god. I did not foresee quoting this would show me the spoiler. I am about to watch the Peacekeeper Wars finally tonight. Fuck. Totally my fault.

Anyway, definitely one of my favorite shows! I am partial to the first two seasons myself (I enjoy the non linear nuggets of good/unique sci fi and characters/crew in those seasons). But yes, the whole series recommended for sure.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:35 am 

But it's so silly...
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:51 am 

There are a few :durr: cheesy moments, but in general I think its a positive characteristic.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:16 am 

Oh the show absolutely has its fair share of cheesy sci-fi cliches, but especially by the time the characters and universe are well-established, all of those cliches manage to play out in really enjoyable ways nonetheless. I thought it was refreshing, really; they didn't try to reinvent the wheel but instead just did a damn good job of handling common tropes.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:53 am 

Homeland:

Loved the latest episode. Lots of drama and the show is picking up some momentum. Amidst the main central stories, it was heart-breaking to see Quinn own up to those murders, more so since I've really been enjoying the character of late. I almost felt like they were gonna take him off the show when he said that he was done with the CIA and everything.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:06 am 

Homeland:

Yeah, great episode. Also totally free of Brody Family Drama. I absolutely loved Saul locking the senator in the conference room, haha. It's been great in general to see him take on a more brazen leadership role.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:18 pm 

Only about a decade late, I finally gave in to temptation and started watching season 1 of Lost. Hopefully if I make it all the way to season 6, I won't hate the finale the way many viewers did. But then again I was satisfied with the way Dexter ended despite all the criticism that episode received, so maybe I judge series finales more leniently than most.

And Sawyer looks like the Kingslayer from Game of Thrones.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:33 pm 

Good gods. Don't do it, ChineseDownhill! Come back to us! Don't waste all those hours of your life that you'll never get back!

Seriously, it's really, really not worth it. Lost is the biggest TV scam ever.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:35 pm 

Haha...I liked Lost, but it definitely peaks around season 2/3. The writers were way, WAY better at crafting obscurity and intrigue than they were about ever trying to build a coherent, interesting plot out of those elements.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:44 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
The writers were way, WAY better at crafting obscurity and intrigue than they were about ever trying to build a coherent, interesting plot out of those elements.

Of course they were. It's easy to create intriguing mysteries when you don't bother thinking up explanations for them.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:55 pm 

Easier, yes, but still not *easy*. I mean, Under the Dome tries to do the exact same sort of shit but in such a ham-fisted way that it's not even vaguely interesting. Lost had a neat setting and compelling characters to drive its mysteries, at least.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:07 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Easier, yes, but still not *easy*. I mean, Under the Dome tries to do the exact same sort of shit but in such a ham-fisted way that it's not even vaguely interesting. Lost had a neat setting and compelling characters to drive its mysteries, at least.

I'm interested in seeing UtD's explanation for the dome, as it's apparently going to be different than the book's, which I thought was pretty rushed and silly.

Typical Stephen King "Oh shit, how do I wrap up this mysterious, long-running plot point in 20 pages" climax, though I enjoyed the other 90% of the book.

I haven't watched the show at all, but given its apparent lack of quality I'm interested to see whether the explanation ends up surprisingly good, hilariously dumb or just dumb.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:30 pm 

I appreciate the warning. Here's what I think I'll do: Finish season 1 of Lost, then take a break from the show, read some more complaints about the later seasons, and convince myself to stop there.

Batman is right, though. The first ten episodes of Lost are definitely more enjoyable to me than the first ten of Under the Dome.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:32 pm 

I definitely think it's worth watching through season 3.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:50 pm 

I'm with iamntbatman here. I very much enjoyed the show for most of its duration. Sure, they absolutely fucked up the conclusion, but that doesn't ruin some of the characters, earlier subplots, concepts and the setting for me. Some stuff went nowhere, some did - in either case, much of it I found rather cool and interesting along the way.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:50 pm 

Sorry guys, HellBlazer is correct; it's not worth the time investment at all. Some of the character development was all right but ultimately not that great to stand on its own merit (ending aside) and certainly not worth it in the end. Biggest TV scam ever, indeed.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

LongLiveTheNewFlesh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:17 pm 

I am one of those snobs who doesn't watch television with the sole exception being The Twilight Zone (although this is viewed from discs and not on a broadcasted station). I love watching films but I just can't get into the whole TV series structure.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:29 pm 

I dunno, they're just totally different formats. I used to have similar feelings with a couple of exceptions, but lately I've been getting a lot more enjoyment out of recent TV than recent movies. I know others will disagree, but I feel that the whole cable drama thing has really stepped up its game in the past decade and a half or so, with so many shows that aim so much higher than they used to on average. Maybe it's just due to my tastes changing as I get older, but as a kid/teenager I always thought of live action TV as being either sitcoms, soap operas or schlocky dramas like ER and 90210 or similar, and of course sci-fi stuff which saw a resurgence in the 90's especially. Of course there were exceptions (X-Files), but overall I feel like really capitalizing on the extended format TV offers over movies has only really been capitalized on in more recent times.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:00 am 

I stopped watching Lost around season 4. It got way too convoluted and nonsensical towards the end, like it originally was interesting but the show was spoiled when they revealed what was in the hatch, or should I say the events after the reveal, and then what the others turned out to be. Non to mention the incessant flashbacks more often than not added nothing and worked as mere filler. I'm positive they existed to chew up episode time. The plausible (although immensely elaborate) excuses for why they/it existed became really weak by season 4, as if the writers simply stopped caring, so as a viewer I stopped watching.

LongLiveTheNewFlesh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:42 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
I dunno, they're just totally different formats. I used to have similar feelings with a couple of exceptions, but lately I've been getting a lot more enjoyment out of recent TV than recent movies. I know others will disagree, but I feel that the whole cable drama thing has really stepped up its game in the past decade and a half or so, with so many shows that aim so much higher than they used to on average. Maybe it's just due to my tastes changing as I get older, but as a kid/teenager I always thought of live action TV as being either sitcoms, soap operas or schlocky dramas like ER and 90210 or similar, and of course sci-fi stuff which saw a resurgence in the 90's especially. Of course there were exceptions (X-Files), but overall I feel like really capitalizing on the extended format TV offers over movies has only really been capitalized on in more recent times.

Yeah, I can understand that, I am not a fan of recent movies either. I mostly enjoy horror from the 20s to the 90s (although as a genre it started fading in the 90s) in addition to a few other random odds and ends but I find modern filmmaking to be incredibly dry, unoriginal and uninspired. Just look at the truly absurd amount of horror remakes coming out every year now, it's like no one can come up with an original idea; granted, they can, but that stuff is usually independent and doesn't get the mainstream attention (and for good reason) and, unfortunately, is also much more difficult to get ahold of.

I was exposed to a bit of modern television through an ex-girlfriend because she would have stuff on but nothing ever caught my attention or captivated me in any way.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:15 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
I appreciate the warning. Here's what I think I'll do: Finish season 1 of Lost, then take a break from the show, read some more complaints about the later seasons, and convince myself to stop there.

Batman is right, though. The first ten episodes of Lost are definitely more enjoyable to me than the first ten of Under the Dome.

Fuck the haters, Lost is great. Is it flawed? Yes, but it's still highly entertaining and well worth the time.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:22 am 

I started watching Millennium, that X-Files spinoff. I'd seen scattered episodes or pieces of episodes back when it aired but didn't really remember much about it. It's pretty....meh. It's basically X-Files but more realistic (it's just about serial killers, so far) but at the same time even more retarded in terms of massive leaps of logic to catch people. It's darker in tone and utterly devoid of humor, and so far it's entirely "monster of the week" stuff with no central plot at all really. Frank Black's an alright character (though I liked him better fronting the Pixies than solving crime) but he's got no counterpart to his dreary, straight man character.

I'll stick with it I guess but so far I can definitely see why this only lasted three seasons.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:00 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
It's basically X-Files but more realistic (it's just about serial killers, so far)It's darker in tone and utterly devoid of humor .
That's what makes it better than X-Files. The study of serial killers and criminal masterminds is way more interesting than some needlessly unsolvable and unrealistic ever-present threat. You know, give the audience a bone once in awhile? Each episode is as futile and regurgitated as the one before it, so much so that one needs a list of the best episodes to sift through the forgettable dull waste it churned out.

There's at least 6 or 7 episodes that are comedy based. Who goes looking for comedy with this type of TV show anyway?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:25 am 

The realism and being about serial killers weren't points against it, rather just background for how ludicrous it is that the show has so far consistently had much more unbelievable leaps in crime-solving logic than the X-Files does. Frank Black isn't a psychic and has no superpowers, but somehow he can look at part of a crime scene for like four seconds and immediately know intimate details about the killer, his motivations, etc.? Shenanigans. Not to mention that this is just some private contractor firm that somehow gets to play police at any crime it finds interesting, unlike the X-Files where they actually address not only the jurisdictional issues (most of the time anyway) but why the cases would be of particular interest to agents assigned to the X-Files instead of other people in the FBI.

I don't go "looking for comedy" necessarily, but the comedy elements in the X-Files are supremely enjoyable and add an extra dimension to the show that so far Millennium is utterly lacking.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:42 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Frank Black isn't a psychic and has no superpowers, but somehow he can look at part of a crime scene for like four seconds and immediately know intimate details about the killer, his motivations, etc.

If you watched the documentary on the DVD, it clearly explains Frank Black is modelled after a special task-force that works within the FBI. It consists of incredibly intelligent retired detectives, who can by simply looking at a crime scene photo determine any number of things. They are the best of the best and solve the 'unsolvable'. A murderer's motivation would be determined within minutes.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:59 pm 

So I just watched the first seven episodes of Sleepy Hollow and it's really damn good. The lead actor, Tom Mison is very talented (and handsome!) and he's quite apt at playing a 1780s dude transported into a modern setting. The series is a mix of drama, supernatural, history and crime investigation and it's well done, it also has some welcome comedic overtones mostly through Ichabod Crane's reactions to the modern world (when he tried an energy drink or used the internet!). The acting is solid, the episodes, even though some are more "stand alone" than others, are all following the "4 riders of the apocalypse, demonic and biblical" storyline and it's very cohesive. The pacing of the episodes is strong and overall, it's always pretty enjoyable. Watch that show.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

xSeveras713x
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:10 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
So I just watched the first seven episodes of Sleepy Hollow and it's really damn good. The lead actor, Tom Mison is very talented (and handsome!) and he's quite apt at playing a 1780s dude transported into a modern setting. The series is a mix of drama, supernatural, history and crime investigation and it's well done, it also has some welcome comedic overtones mostly through Ichabod Crane's reactions to the modern world (when he tried an energy drink or used the internet!). The acting is solid, the episodes, even though some are more "stand alone" than others, are all following the "4 riders of the apocalypse, demonic and biblical" storyline and it's very cohesive. The pacing of the episodes is strong and overall, it's always pretty enjoyable. Watch that show.

Couldn't agree more one of my favorite new shows in recent memory. Looking forward to Almost Human as well, and Karl Urban is pretty good at whatever he's in.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:50 am 

Eh, it's a solid show and I agree on Ichabod, he's a capable actor and pretty funny/cool to watch. But despite the occasional humour it's a fundamentally trashy show that takes itself way too seriously. Also, some of the later episodes were rather lame, like the one with the Hessians or the plague village. I dunno, those didn't really grip me in any way and felt rather uninspired and hurried. I'll keep watching for now, though.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:28 am 

Some of the best X-Files episodes featured plots that were conceivable in real life. However, Millennium can't touch The X-Files.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:01 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Eh, it's a solid show and I agree on Ichabod, he's a capable actor and pretty funny/cool to watch. But despite the occasional humour it's a fundamentally trashy show that takes itself way too seriously. Also, some of the later episodes were rather lame, like the one with the Hessians or the plague village. I dunno, those didn't really grip me in any way and felt rather uninspired and hurried. I'll keep watching for now, though.

I tend to agree with this though I only saw the first two episodes. The show is really, really cheesy. Nothing so badly written that I facepalmed in dismay (yet), though, and it's entertaining for now so I'll keep watching... and holy shit is Ichabod ridiculously hot O_O dat accent too, wow!

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:48 pm 

:o Homeland...

Well that was a crazy episode! Most of it moved along in generally the same sort of pace established by this season so far, but then the ending was madness! Two pretty big, seemingly contradictory twists - Carrie's getting the feeling that the CIA is willing to let the real bomber die and thus get swept under the rug, continuing presumably to let Brody bear the blame for the attack, while Saul secretly meets with Brody himself in Caracas. Again it seems like crucial details of the events immediately following the end of season 2 were intentionally kept from the audience in order to have these big reveals later. So far seasons 1 and 2 have both ended with catastrophic shake-ups, so I'm really eager to see where this season is taking us.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:42 am 

:eek: Homeland:

Yeah, the ending was crazy. I probably didn't blink while all that was happening. Carrie was right (again) about the killing of that alleged bomber. But goddamn, they sure took an extreme step in shooting her! The CIA is perhaps looking at the bigger picture and didn't want to jeopardize the good vantage point they created for themselves. They do look to eventually nab the conspirators rather than just a tool of a guy who detonated the bomb. Saul meeting Brody was a hell of twist for me. Geez. I'm still trying to connect the dots now, which makes the next episode a must watch! About the other aspects of the episode, I'm gonna go out on a limb now and say that that guy (Meera's ex-lover) is involved in it somehow. Possibly, Bennett's man texted this guy and the other guy (killed in the motel) was possibly a fall guy? Or perhaps, the ex-lover is planning to sell CIA confidential information since he's all disgruntled about getting dumped? Oh, the possibilities. I feel Carrie's pregnancy is kind of a distraction :/

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:09 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
I started watching Millennium, that X-Files spinoff. I'd seen scattered episodes or pieces of episodes back when it aired but didn't really remember much about it. It's pretty....meh. It's basically X-Files but more realistic (it's just about serial killers, so far) but at the same time even more retarded in terms of massive leaps of logic to catch people. It's darker in tone and utterly devoid of humor, and so far it's entirely "monster of the week" stuff with no central plot at all really. Frank Black's an alright character (though I liked him better fronting the Pixies than solving crime) but he's got no counterpart to his dreary, straight man character.

The realism and being about serial killers weren't points against it, rather just background for how ludicrous it is that the show has so far consistently had much more unbelievable leaps in crime-solving logic than the X-Files does. Frank Black isn't a psychic and has no superpowers, but somehow he can look at part of a crime scene for like four seconds and immediately know intimate details about the killer, his motivations, etc.? Shenanigans. Not to mention that this is just some private contractor firm that somehow gets to play police at any crime it finds interesting, unlike the X-Files where they actually address not only the jurisdictional issues (most of the time anyway) but why the cases would be of particular interest to agents assigned to the X-Files instead of other people in the FBI.

I don't go "looking for comedy" necessarily, but the comedy elements in the X-Files are supremely enjoyable and add an extra dimension to the show that so far Millennium is utterly lacking.

Well, I definitely understand your gripes about Millennium though what the main draw for me (during the first season) was the straight man that Frank was, the absolute desperation and hopelessness that permeates the show and Frank's outlook on life and the fact that it was played superbly straight without any comedy. I'm not sure where you get the idea that he isn't a psychic? I think it's pretty much straight out said that he is, in addition to his understanding of the serial killers' logic. I'm not really interested in the real serial killers or what goes through their mind, but the overall plot of the approaching millennium, the approaching apocalypse and how that is what is driving these people to their derangement and/or that their actions drive the apocalypse to becoming reality.

The comical aspect did fit into X-Files fairly well, for some reason. I guess it's the fact that Duchovny has a knack for delivering it and that he is kind of a kooky character. They tried to insert it into Millennium on the second season, when it was handed to new writers/runners, but I think the show lost something with that. I've had a hard time sloughing through second season again even though there are some good episodes there as well.

The difference between the shows is (or was at least at the time of the first season of Millennium) is that while in the X-Files universe, it's only Mulder who believes in the supernatural. Everyone else thinks they're living in a normal world like ours. In Millennium however, no one really thinks they live in a normal world. They live their lives mostly like they think they do, but everyone is aware of the dark and doomed world that they reside in as well as the fast approaching apocalypse that will swallow them all. They might not know the exact nature of it or when it comes or what can be done about it, but they are aware that time is short. That is why the rank-and-file members of the Millennium group (like Frank) are given the power and respect they get.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 182  Next