Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:28 pm 

Got some tentative artwork for my Eternal Oblivion EP, courtesy of Zdzislaw Beksinski (just like every other underground metal band, haha). No clue what to call the EP. I guess that'll come later. Maybe I'll name it after my cat.

InThyKingdom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:56 pm 

May be at the end I'll listen to the finished songs that were recorded 3 years ago. Radek on the vocal lines and Nochielo behind the lyrics - thanks a lot dudes (not to forget Rmind!)!!
Die Liebe ist Tot - Brazen Foul
LITTLE NORWAY PRODUCTIONS

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:19 pm 

Nice song, inthykingdom. If I may make a suggestions, I would make the snare and kick drums and the vocals a bit louder. Any more stuff like that?

So I'm sitting here drinking a beer by myself in a dark house, alone on a Saturday evening. I should write a doom song about how my life sucks, but I think my doom is emotional enough already. No need to get overly emotional on it.
After all, men are only allowed to have three emotions:
Whiskey.

InThyKingdom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:21 pm 

Thanks Infinite, I'll give a try new mix tomorrow with your suggestions! My ears are still fked up due the last night Chuck Schuldiner tribute :)
LITTLE NORWAY PRODUCTIONS

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:43 pm 

RIP Chuck. I wrote a tribute to him on my last OSR album. He's a huge influence on my rhythm playing and lyric writing. Such a fucking shame he's dead while people like Rhianna are alive. Ugh. THIS WORLD NEEDS ANOTHER CHUCK!

But yeah the mix sounded pretty good, just those things. And the drums as a whole don't need to be louder, the crash cymbals were loud enough, just a small, like +1.5dB boost to the kick and snare, try that and see how it sounds. And the vocals as well.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:07 pm 

Was playing along to some Pendulous on bass the other day, pretty great doom metal band. I usually have a slightly harder time picking out bass lines than guitar, I don't know if that's because lower frequencies can be harder to pick out or because I usually don't play bass. I imagine the latter of the two is true. Anyone else find that figuring out bass lines is tougher than guitar?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:13 pm 

No that's a fair assumption. I usually if I'm interested in what a bassist is playing it's usually prevelant for me to figure out what they are playing cause most likely their presense in the music is louder than your average mix, or their tone is more clangy or otherwise sets them out of the mix a bit more.
So it's not you directly I believe it's just the lower frequencies and the bass getting buried, and sometimes where the bass is just directly following the guitar.

infinite... at least you have something to do. I'm literally sitting in this hotel room in my underwear arguing with people on what a riff is looking at really terrible albums on ebay to purchase(just stopped, there is just so much terrible metal/music) and it's only 8. I think I'm going to go to the gym here and run on the treadmill for an hour or two. ain't like there is anything else for me to really do. my laptop barely runs up anything.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:31 pm 

infinitenexus wrote:
men are only allowed to have three emotions:
Whiskey.

If I did signatures, this would reign for some time to come.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:49 pm 

It was good, but it seems that summer time is the best season to play live, since more people show up then.
Their album is out since last Friday and they played it all, plus a cover on The Thing That Should Not Be.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:00 pm 

Do some crossfit in the gym. Or some HIIT. I have 2 personal trainer certifications if you ever want any tips. And more importantly, I've purposely forgotten most of that bullshit to actually study real fitness on my own over the past few years. So I know a few things.

I kinda have something to do. I've just gotten to a point in this divorce and in life in general that I'm pretty much miserable and all I have is my music, so while that works out sometimes and I write an EP in a weekend, whenever I'm not feeling musically productive I get in a sort of gloomy depressed mode and whatnot. Of course as a caveat to that, I am in general very much depressed and hating life right now, mostly due to my divorce and my horrid fucking soon to be ex wife. But hopefully that will be done soon. Ugh. At least it's good for some musical inspiration, on my last Licrest album like 6 of 8 songs were about her, so hey, depression is always good for doom. And on your running note I was going to go for a run this morning but it was 33 degrees and I just said fuck that.

Arguing what a riff is would be hard to someone that didn't play guitar, I think. A riff is, like one uh, thing on guitar. It changes later and then that's another riff. But a riff is one solid junk. Fuck.

My OSDM EP is basically done, I just want to sit on it for a day and make sure I still like it. But I've been listening to a lot of professionally recording, very (sonically) high quality music for the past two hours and more importantly, I've had 3 beers (at 9.1% alcohol each) so I'm going to go through my OSDM right now, tweak the drums a bit (ugh, I'm getting so tired of the monotony of drum programming and can't wait until I can play better) and try to release it tonight. Midnight is my goal! ETERNAL OBLIVION SHALL DESTROY YOUR EARDRUMS WITH 80S INSPIRED DEATH THRASH SOUNDS AND STUFF

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:00 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
infinitenexus wrote:
men are only allowed to have three emotions:
Whiskey.

If I did signatures, this would reign for some time to come.

Thanks!

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:13 pm 

Okay, due to some beer and me just really wanting to put it out, I'm gonna try to release my OSDM EP tonight. Hopefully within the next hour. I keep calling it old school death metal, but it's my own interpretation of old school death metal, which is the first wave stuff. In other words, mid-80s, before death metal really existed, and a few people were playing thrash metal tuned to D, with harsher vocals. So technically it's more death/thrash. But whatever. This was a really fun album to write, as it was really going back to my roots, and getting influences from Master of Puppets and Reign in Blood. I must say, the lyrics to the song 'Cannibal' are my creepiest ever, because I wrote them about Issei Sagawa, a Japanese dude that killed and ate a danish girl and basically got away with it. I wrote the lyrics after watching a documentary of him, and a lot of the lyrics are direct quotes from him. Super fucking creepy, but a gold mine for metal lyrics.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:35 pm 

Shit, you have seen what I look like. I don't really need many pointers on what to do in a gym. and this isn't really a gym at this hotel... it's more of someone's garage. a treadmil, a really shitty eliptical, and stationary bike that doesn't work, and a really laughably bad all in one total gym hunk of shit that's broken. The tredmill at least works so i burnt off 1225 cals in less than an hour and went and took a shower and reviewed ol' dude's black post rock album.

and that Issei Sagawa guy... he didn't just basically got away with it. he did. regardless that he was caught he is out right now. I don't even think he spent a year in jail.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:46 pm 

BAM, old school death metal released! And by old school death metal I mean more like old school death/thrash. But it's some awesome fucking music. A ton of stuff from my early days, all influenced by master of puppets and reign in blood:

http://eternaloblivion.bandcamp.com/

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:49 pm 

True, hotel gyms are basically treadmills and a yoga mat. Granted, yoga is good for hip flexibility, but still.

And Issei Sagawa spent a tiny bit of time in like a Danish jail or something, then went back to Japan scott-free and starting writing books and paintings about it. Fucking brutal, I wish i could kill someone and eat them and get away with it. Either way, my link is above. Damn cannibals.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:53 pm 

I'm going to go listen to it in just a moment. I also made a stance that the guy should stop calling his work blackened sludge since it's nothing like sludge and posted a nice healthy amount of music to show anyone what sludge really is.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:54 pm 

I forgot I'm on my laptop. bandcamp doesn't work.

great.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:04 am 

Shit. I'm too drunk to edit my webpage, to add the eternal oblivion link. Shit. Shit. Shit. It took me like 5 tries to write shit three times. Shit. God damn you HTML!!!!!

Wow, adding eternal oblivion to my god damn ipage whilst drunk was pretty tough. At least the mix turned out okay. Fucking hell, HTML while drunk. Fuck you. Why do I do this? I should just be a famous rock star and write a bunch of music and let some lawyer or something make my webpage and collect all my money. Tens of dollars.

And yeah sludge is technically doomy stuff with occasional punk-ish fast interludes, according to the definition, I think. Like crowbar.

Since my OSDM EP is supposed to be old school, I made sure to cut some midrange from the snare to give a proper old school 80s snare sound.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:07 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I forgot I'm on my laptop. bandcamp doesn't work.

great.

YOU WILL NEVER HEAR MY GLORIOUS OLD SCHOOL DEATH/THRASH! IT IS BEYOND HUMAN COMPREHENSION!

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:11 am 

Shit shit shit. Didn't edit out the 10 seconds of silence at the beginning of each track before I uploaded it. Shit fuck shit. Gotta re-upload. I blame the beer.

Edit: okay, fixed. Damn beer, forcing me to include mistakes into my music. Fucking hell.

Last edited by infinitenexus on Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:11 am 

that just might be cause it sounds like you might fuck up and delete the bastard before anyone does. and yea at the most fucking basic that's what sludge is. it's not that it's overtly complicated. It's just that and the overall sound and tone of each of these bands.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:20 am 

Whew. Got rid of the huge amounts of dead space at the beginning of each song and re-uploaded it. Can't believe I forgot that, that's like the number one thing to do before uploading. God damn. But I figure I'll post the album here for a day or so before I officially release it to the masses and get my grammy. Master of Puppets meets Reign in Blood meets shitty death vocals bitches, YEAH! I forgot that I even named the album that, hahha. At least it's sufficiently thrashy.
http://eternaloblivion.bandcamp.com/alb ... f-darkness

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:23 am 

haha, well soon as I can I'll give it a listen.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:23 am 

:lol: infiite i can totally understand that mindset, being at the very confident stage of drunkedness and then cursing yourself for fucking up. Gonna listen to that now.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:30 am 

Hahahah awesome. I have a miserable life at the moment so sometimes it just takes a beer or two to snap me out of my depression and write some shit. And I still say, on my OSDM EP, on the song "Problems" at 3:25, that's like the heaviest riff I've ever written. I love that riff and I wish it wasn't so short, but it works well as an accent. And "cannibal" is a great song, it fucking better be considering how many times I've redone that god damn song. And "morals" I wrote back in 2007 or so, it's one of the first songs I wrote when I got back into playing guitar and recording and whatnot. It's actually the first song I wrote with any kind of harmonies in it. And it's kind of a direct ripoff of Metallica's disposable heroes mixed with slayer's reign in blood.

For the record, spell check recognized that I didn't capitalize "Metallica". Holy shit.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:34 am 

And in case you can't tell, musically speaking, the song "cannibal" is based directly off of Metallica's "harvester of sorrow". This EP is about my roots and all, and when I was in high school in the 90s, that song was some heavy shit.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:53 am 

Man, after listening, I'm really enjoying this EP. And I have to say, the initial track, "Lifetaker", is a thrasher's paradise, that song is 80's heavy as shit. Some good tight playing on "Crusade" as well. I'm really happy with how this EP turned out. Very old school thrashy with death vocals, just what I was going for. Now I just need to find some promotions, so I'll get a review or two, instead of it fading into the darkness like my other stuff, hahahaha. Anyone, review it for a free physical copy!

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:55 am 

Yeah I liked Cannibal the most out of all the songs. A lot of it seems to come from the Metallica style of chugging as you mentioned, Disposable Heroes. I keep getting reminded of the 'soldier boy, made of clay, now an empty shell' riff.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:13 am 

I still say disposable heroes is one of the best songs they ever wrote.

Cannibal came from a certain thing: every old thrash album, they had one song that was slow and heavy, and sometimes tuned down to D standard. So I took influence from that, and based the song structure on harvester of sorrow. out of that came Cannibal. It's probably one of the heaviest songs I've written, and as I've said before, the lyrics are super fucking creepy. I'm going to post them on the bandcamp page.

Thanks!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:30 am 

infinitenexus wrote:
I still say disposable heroes is the best song they ever wrote.

Fixed.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:36 am 

Subrick wrote:
infinitenexus wrote:
I still say disposable heroes is the best song they ever wrote.

Fixed.

Hey, no problem with that!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:41 am 

Yup. That's been my favorite Metallica song from the first time I ever heard it. Of all the songs from their 80s albums where everything went right, that one went the most right.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:02 am 

I have no problem agreeing with that. It's an excellent song in every manner.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:58 am 

Speaking of working out, I ate a bunch of cookies while watching the hockey game last night.

Also, I never got into Metallica, yet I love reign in blood, divine intervention, show no mercy.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:05 am 

Disposable Heroes, best song, really? My favourite has always been Blackened, though I wish the solo spot wasn't so long. Hammett is incapable of anything longer than a short aggressive burst of pentatonic pull-offs ending with a whole step bend.

That stupid ass d-beat strumming riff I was talking about a while ago? I GOT IT YOU MOTHERFUCKERS I GOT IT WOOHOO

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:25 am 

I'm also one that never really got into Metallica. I pretty much bipassed them and when I was getting into thrash went straight to Slayer and Kreator. I only got some Metallica later on after reading a ton of what transpired above and I was like welll... i've heard better I guess I don't care.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:23 pm 

Metallica was great and all when I was 14 but when I heard Rust In Peace, Coma Of Souls or Seasons In The Abyss, man that was everythin that metal was about. RtL and MoP soon lay forgotten in a corner :P

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:30 pm 

Ride the Lightning is what got me into guitar playing. In fact, the outtro solo in fade to black was the first real solo I learned. Their first few albums is how I learned guitar, and it's still blatantly obvious in my style of playing, although I've since moved on to heavier music. I never really learned much lead work though, other than Kirk's old stuff. One of these days I need to learn how to shred and actually practice.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:32 pm 

I can understand why everyone liked it at that time, I wasn't one of those kids. Hell my real exposure to any heavy metal that I even noticed was ordering out of columbia house and I got Suffocation: Effigy of the Forgotten because I liked the artwork. Didn't know a fucking thing about them or death metal at all. So for me there was no gateway bands or anything like that before that my small cd collection was grunge (which I still enjoy to this day) Smashing Pumpkins, Bush, Stone Temple Pilots, Dinosaur Jr. I mainly just liked thick or really fuzzy guitars. So going into thrash was reading in metal magazines and I just picked up albums based on band member's shirts(got into Athiest because Mike Smith was wearing a shirt in that album) or who they said influenced them (some black metal band talking about Bolt Thrower for some reason)or what was spoken about in the general discussion there. (Slayer, Morbid Angel, Napalm Death) And so when talking to anyone else if somehow was brought up my listening I would be asked if I liked Metallica, and I saw discussions like you all had above so eventually I picked up an album which was Master of Puppets. I thought it was alright. I got the black one, I thought it was alright, I got ride the lightning, i thought it was alright. that's about it. they are alright I just don't really give a fuck about them.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:58 pm 

I still like old alice in chains, STP, and a few of those bands. They put out some great music. Alice in chains' latest two albums are excellent stuff, too.

Unfortunately after Metallica I got into some nu metal and crap like that, back when it all came out in the mid 90s or so. I listened to some pretty shitty music for a while haha. Then in about 2006 or so I got into Slayer, and then arch enemy and cannibal corpse and carcass and finally started listening to much better stuff. I think the real musical turning point for me was about 2009 when fleshgod apocalypse came out with oracles. I heard that and also got into aborted and death at the same time, and that just totally changed my musical preferences and eventually started changing my playing/writing style. And to be honest, these songwriting challenges we do have really expanded my musical tastes as well.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114 ... 185  Next