Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:39 pm 

Date set up for Indiana playing with Nak'ay. Can't wait.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:23 pm 

I just completed enough songs for a potential album release, but am completely stumped as to where to go from there. Maybe some pics or something, I don't know.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:02 pm 

Yeah sounds like album art time. And track order, mixing and mastering, and sitting on the songs for a bit and making sure you still like them after a few listens.

Absolutely cannot wait until tomorrow's over. Then I start my vacation. Granted I'm not going anywhere but it'll be nice to do nothing except work on music for a week.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:27 pm 

I just heard this song for the first time since the mid-90s. A friend let me borrow this tape and I basically played this song over and over again. I promptly forgot the name of the band and the name of the song, but the guitar riffs always stuck in my head, as well as the nonsense lyrics. I finally found it again, so that makes me happy

Melvins - Honey Bucket
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAl3A2pYFhM

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:33 pm 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
Date set up for Indiana playing with Nak'ay. Can't wait.

That will be a killer show!

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:02 pm 

Just bought a VH140 head, yesssss.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:33 pm 

Yeah I cannot wait to play with them. I need to get some new gear though specifically a new head... Hopefully with my tax money I'll be able to upgrade to something nice.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:02 am 

What are you using now?

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:53 am 

Im using a Peavey XXL which is not bad but I need something with more headroom. I really don't know what I want since I don't know what other grind bands use.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:54 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
So the ESP EC-401 I have and use for most of my metal stuff isn't actually mine, it belongs to my younger brother who lost interest in metal a while ago so hasn't really cared that I've had it this whole time, but he just recently decided to buy a new guitar and figured he'd pay for it by selling off his ESP. Kind of a bummer, heh, but it does give me an excuse to buy a new guitar as all I'll have is my Telecaster and a Castle Rock fake LP that sounds alright but I don't really like that much.

I've been looking at Agile Guitars since I keep hearing a lot of praise for 'em. I've also always wanted an SG so this looks like a pretty good deal: http://www.rondomusic.com/valkhcslim.html. I like that it's got a slim neck as I hate those thickass Gibson necks. I kinda wish it had the classic SG shape rather than that funky SG/Jazzmaster hybrid thing it's got going on, but beggars can't be choosers at that price. However, they've also got this: http://www.rondomusic.com/hadron627.html. I LOVE natural finishes and those sorts of neck-through designs, plus it's got a 27" scale so should work well for tuning down to A like I like to do. Insane price for a guitar like that, assuming it's not a total piece of shit.

Also spent a lot of time fiddling around with the Carvin custom shop and built myself a totally sexy Explorer there....came out to about $1,300 though :(

Update on this: my brother hasn't sold the ESP yet but he did get himself a fake Jazzmaster from Guitar Fetish:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-JT100-Offset-Alder-Body-Alnico-JM90-Pickups-pickups-Gloss-Black_p_2204.html

It definitely needed to be taken in when he got it, as it needed a good setting up, the bridge needed fiddling with, the whammy bar mount was really loose, etc. However, the build quality seems really high otherwise. Great feeling neck and fretboard, nice hardware, really solid wood. It'll be great to hear how it sounds once he gets it back from the shop; so far other than those minor issues and some cosmetic qualms (mainly that the gloss they've used on the neck/headstock gives them this vaguely orange glow that's sorta weird) I would definitely put this up against the made-in-Mexico Fender stuff and miles ahead of Squier.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:05 am 

Dragunov wrote:
Just bought a VH140 head, yesssss.

I know where you got it. Just know they don't sound the same as the Ampeg SS140's They are actually pretty different. I know I have both.

Got home Wed night. pretty much been working on a commission piece that I'm going to finish tonight.

yesterday I recorded 3 Shokushu Goukan tracks for that split yesterday. more will be done today.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:26 am 

I'm trying to decide if I want to go pure goregrind with my lyrics or have a sociopolitical slant to them like a lot of grindcore, since I'm so sick of the idiotic politicians in 'merica. I dunno.

So fucking stoked for the end of work today. Then my vacation starts, and it's music time, woooooooooooooo. I have a shit ton of shit planned. Can't wait.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:27 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I know where you got it. Just know they don't sound the same as the Ampeg SS140's They are actually pretty different. I know I have both.

Haha, I was bidding on a VH-150 head before I bought the VH-140 (an auction I ended up losing) and I half expected to come in this thread and see you boasting about getting another VH series amp. :lol: And I figure you'd know because I know you keep tabs on shit like that. Thank you MGR! Also, I thought the VH and SS series amps were pretty much the same thing, aside from a slightly different power section? Either way, I know that this thing will do great in getting certain tones I want to use. Glad to add this to my arsenal!

xThe_Wizard wrote:
Im using a Peavey XXL which is not bad but I need something with more headroom. I really don't know what I want since I don't know what other grind bands use.

Ah man, just try out a bunch of amps and see what you like best! I think my favorite tones in grindcore are the super-distorted solid state tones, or the super bright, mid-heavy tube amp tones. But if you like what you hear, no matter what you're playing, go with that.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:34 am 

You can try an old Peavey VTM60/120. I used a 60 on my recent Eternal Oblivion release, it's basically a rip off of a hotrodded JCM800. It's built like a tank, just as ugly, and you can pick them up for dirt cheap all the time. I think I got mine, with new tubes, for about $150.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:52 am 

Those VTM's are definitely good, loud amps. They're built like fucking tanks, too.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:22 pm 

Yeah mine didn't even have the enclosure around it - which I think is a good thing, as the enclosure to the head is generally regarded as being horrifically ugly. But it's still running strong and sounds incredibly awesome and works perfectly every time. Probably the best sounding $150 I've ever spent. I've heard good things about the Peavey XXX, but haven't tried it.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:43 pm 

The XXX's are EXCELLENT amps, and can be had used for very cheap. I like the sort of dry sounding distortion it can conjure, very very good amp for anything thrashy. With a cab that has speakers that push lows a bit more, this is a good all around rock/metal amp. I believe Bob Vigna uses the XXX's in the live setting nowadays, so that says something.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:10 pm 

One of these days I'm going to have to try one out.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:31 pm 

Finally had the place to myself and the neighbors are gone, so I practiced a bit of drums and recorded another 5-6 grind tracks. Now I'm writing the guitars and bass to the drums I recorded, and it's turning out nicely. I kinda like writing music like that, it's fun, although I'm a shitty drummer so it takes me 50 takes just to get one good one.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:43 pm 

The VTM looks nice I will have to check out the local shops around here to see what is up. If I could get an XXX I would since I really like the sound of my XXL I just need something that has a bit more to it. Either that or I am going to have to not use my pedal but I like the fuzziness that I get. We will just see.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:31 pm 

The current state of my dabbling in songwriting: I manage to come up with great first halfs of songs, neat riffs, good flow and all, but then I get stuck and don't know how to conclude the composition. It's totally frustrating.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:02 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

Haha, I was bidding on a VH-150 head before I bought the VH-140 (an auction I ended up losing) and I half expected to come in this thread and see you boasting about getting another VH series amp. :lol: And I figure you'd know because I know you keep tabs on shit like that. Thank you MGR! Also, I thought the VH and SS series amps were pretty much the same thing, aside from a slightly different power section? Either way, I know that this thing will do great in getting certain tones I want to use. Glad to add this to my arsenal!

Yea I actually bid on that but I pretty much let it slip on by since I already had one and I've been more about picking up cabs currently. So instead of that head I bought an 1983 Traynor 412 cab. I'm pretty stoked on that. And plus there is another older Sunn Concert Lead that I'll probably go and pick up this week cause I def need three for some reason. haha. But MGR is pissing me the fuck off lately particularly this one store that has some cabs I want and they want to charge me 150 a cab to ship. that's fucking robbery I said I'll buy the cabs and arrange for my own people/shipping company to do so and they said they wouldn't do that either. That's fucking horseshit. I literally am considering going on a road trip not to go buy some gear but to go up and stab that fuckhead in the throat that I talked to.

They are similar sorta but when you have them both and can play them back to back the VH series has a much higher gain, biting tone. Produces a tone of sharp piercing feedback while the SS are a bit more warmer distortion and produces some very nice harmonic feedback you can listen to for days. You'll probably be able to get what you want out of it. But say if you tried playing something like Eyehategod or Soilent Green on the VH series with the same settings and guitar as the SS it'll sound different completely.

Also had Dragunov practice and wrote and recorded another 9 Shokushu Goukan tracks for that split. So I have 12 songs for the split, so tmwr I'll wrap that up and start mixing it next week.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:41 am 

Sounds good. How many tracks are you looking at having total for the split? I think I have roughly a dozen also.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:57 am 

probably will be around 15. Most of mine just reach a minute. I'm going for straight up old school. hell this is the basic sound I just won't have these vocals on it.
http://shokushugoukan.bandcamp.com/

bout to go head out and finish it.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:37 am 

Looks like I'm going to have about a dozen songs also. Just have to record guitars on a few of them and write lyrics and record vocals on most.

Also gonna try to head up to the local metal record store in Baltimore and chat with the owners who are really cool people. Gonna ask them about local metal venues and the metal scene in general and whatnot. Maybe give them some more of my music to hand out.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:30 pm 

infinitenexus, your drumming is progressing very nicely. Was wondering if you wanted to do a one-man-no-programming split some time in 2014? Got one lined up with SLK also. Thought it would be fun to do some splits like that with people.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:03 pm 

Yea I plan on working on our split this week coming up. I finally have an idea of what I'm going to do and under what name. and my friend did some artwork for it that we might use.

I did another 4 SG songs. So that completes that split. I just have to mix it now.

did 2 Corpse Arise tracks cause I want to get a full length together for an early release next year. I stopped early cause I'm going to down to my shed tmwr to hang with my friend who is moving to NYC. So I didn't want to burn out being down there plus I did want to get home to work on mixing some stuff that's already completed and ready to go aside from assembling the artwork which is an Uzumaki full length, Yzordderrex full length, and KP ep and split.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:35 pm 

CloggedUrethra wrote:
infinitenexus, your drumming is progressing very nicely. Was wondering if you wanted to do a one-man-no-programming split some time in 2014? Got one lined up with SLK also. Thought it would be fun to do some splits like that with people.

Sure thing, just let me know what genre

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:36 pm 

Hung out at my local underground metal record store here and had a good time. Also found a Filtheater cassette and Forestfather CD so I picked those up, supporting the MA musicians!

Huge to-do list to work on. I'm going to relax tonight, and have a glass of wine and watch a movie. Tomorrow it starts, dun dun dun.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:45 pm 

ha that's awesome!! And I can tell you that for certain they didn't get either from me. I only got 30 tapes out of that run of cassettes and I traded half of them away for some other stuff I meant to sell and I haven't. The rest I sold or sent off to a few friends. All the forestfather cds I have I've sold or still have.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:25 pm 

That's cool you guys! SLK, I think I will start recording for the split in January. infinitenexus, I guess something between death/black/grind would be my favourite.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:30 pm 

Put in an order for 50 Cassettes of our EP. Sending the guy the music when it finishes uploading and we will have it out by January. Thank god I got photoshop cause I was never going to do the album artwork without it.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:42 pm 

Infinite finally listening to your death thrash ep. Enjoying it vastlly... aside from Cannibal. to me was way too long and was actually quite boring compared to all the other tracks.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:51 am 

Struck with a bout of insomnia, so I picked up my guitar for the first time in awhile and messed around. I recorded this little ditty with my iPhone as a lame attempt at grindcore, but I don't have the slightest clue about the genre. It's more a joke than anything, but I guess I'm interested in trying to get into grindcore now.
https://soundcloud.com/hedgewizard/ground

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:30 am 

SLK, that song was basically my kind of "harvester of sorrow." A lot of old thrash bands would put one slow, heavy song on their thrash albums, and that was me capturing that kind of feel. I'm actually tempted to try to finish up a few more songs (I have a ton half written) and just make that EP into a full length. I dunno.

Busting out my nice long musical to do list today, and gonna start knocking things off. For today I'm going to try to finalize the breaking wheel mixes, retrack all my Saloth stuff in my new tuning, finish another Devourer song or two and write some lyrics. If I have time left, I'm going to try to decide on a guitar tone for my stoner project, and I guess more importantly, a bass tone.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:15 am 

Well, all of that may be put on hold, as my computer seems to be dying. I've had to restart it a dozen times already this morning. Yay for windows 7.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:07 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Yea I actually bid on that but I pretty much let it slip on by since I already had one and I've been more about picking up cabs currently. So instead of that head I bought an 1983 Traynor 412 cab. I'm pretty stoked on that. And plus there is another older Sunn Concert Lead that I'll probably go and pick up this week cause I def need three for some reason. haha. But MGR is pissing me the fuck off lately particularly this one store that has some cabs I want and they want to charge me 150 a cab to ship. that's fucking robbery I said I'll buy the cabs and arrange for my own people/shipping company to do so and they said they wouldn't do that either. That's fucking horseshit. I literally am considering going on a road trip not to go buy some gear but to go up and stab that fuckhead in the throat that I talked to.

They are similar sorta but when you have them both and can play them back to back the VH series has a much higher gain, biting tone. Produces a tone of sharp piercing feedback while the SS are a bit more warmer distortion and produces some very nice harmonic feedback you can listen to for days. You'll probably be able to get what you want out of it. But say if you tried playing something like Eyehategod or Soilent Green on the VH series with the same settings and guitar as the SS it'll sound different completely.

$150 per cab sounds absolutely ridiculous, I'd be pissed as well! And damn, a third Concert Lead? I understand though, if I had the means I would hoard any and all cool Sunn gear as well. :lol:

And that high gain bite is exactly what I need! I'll probably run my EQ and noise suppressor in the loop though, just to brush things up a bit. Going to be trying this on a few of my cabs to see which I'd want to do rewirings and speaker swaps on. I can't wait to run this in stereo next my 5150 III stack, too. Gonna get loud!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:40 am 

Well this Concert Lead is the older model so it looks different. hahaha. That's my excuse and then I'll have them all just stacked on each other. I have to rearrange some stuff in my shed for the upcoming gear that's being delivered. I'm excite. OH since you have that 5150 it'll be a great match for that.

I like my VH series stuff and I've utilitized them in two projects now but I still love the SS series more. And from talking to another guy who collects tons of gear he said the top mount Vh150... the kind you and I have are the rarer of all the VH's. Usuallly there are plenty of VH140c and the bottom mount Vh150's

He also said since SLM makes the same board for both ampeg and crate the poorman's version of a VH140c is the crate GX130c. I just got one in and I don't really agree. But the other style he said that's close to the SS140 is the GX1600 and GX600. I got the GX600 and it's fucking beast and only for 60watts it's fucking loud as fuck. I'd put it up against any other standard hundred watt solid state. I'll do some sound tests of both later. Maybe even today.

And I know infinite, I remember reading why you created it. It just seemed to go on and on to me. it wasn't as crushing to me as the rest of the material. Hopefully you get your computer working correctly. I know how aggrivating it is to have to get a new rig. I've done so 3 times. so far my latest has been the best.

Mysticaloldbard I'm going to check yo shit out and offer some advice when I get back. Going to meet my friend at the shed today. he's moving to NYC in 5 days and wanted to come hang and jam before he did.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:35 pm 

Computer finally started working right, so far at least. It froze up/blue screen of death/crashed probably close to 20 times, finally ran the startup repair and it said it couldn't repair anything, but afterward it started working apparently. It hasn't crashed in about 45 minutes so I'm crossing my fingers.

You guys are making me want a Sunn amp head. From what I understand though, they're super powerful and I'd probably blow a speaker. How much gain do they have?

Got all the music written and recorded for my grind stuff. Just gotta write lyrics and record vocals, that won't take long though. I'll probably do that later. Also wrote a little bit of BDM. Slammy slam.

I think I'm going to postpone replacing the neck on my les paul until tomorrow. I'm really not looking forward to it.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:37 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Mysticaloldbard I'm going to check yo shit out and offer some advice when I get back. Going to meet my friend at the shed today. he's moving to NYC in 5 days and wanted to come hang and jam before he did.

Cool! Bear in mind it was improvised and it'll sound quiet since I recorded it with my phone. But with my new amp coming in I'm feeling a little reinvigorated and want to explore genres I don't know much about, especially grindcore.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117 ... 185  Next