Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:45 pm 

Well, I´ve been listening to some Edge of Sanity lately, and when it comes the turn of Purgatoy Aftergloy to spin, I can´t help but think, wow, this Black Tears song is so out of place, but feels so healthy for the album. The song has different atmosphere, different songwriting, different sound, well, is from another album. Another song that seems different than the rest of the album is Sister Shadow sister, from the finish "dark metal" (?) Legenda (featuring Sir Lutinen), it sounds all the way different.
So, What other healthy examples you know of songs that are different from the rest of the songs in one album and they are for the better
Not hearsay but the will of man

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:52 pm 

Black Sabbath has some of these. Am I Going Insane (Radio) from Sabotage is a pretty weird song but an enjoyable one. I'll probably get a lot of disagreements with these next two, but I also really like Who Are You? from Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Breakout from Never Say Die! I used to hate Who Are You? but what won me over was when Ozzy sings, "Into the dust..." and the middle section with militant drums and more creative keys than the rest of the song. Breakout I've (almost) always really liked, I think the sax is great.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:56 pm 

One that comes to mind is the first half of Symphony of the Dead by Therion off of Beyond Sanctorum, its pretty much gothic/doom metal on an album full of pretty brutal old school swedish death metal

DreamOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:34 pm 

There's this odd "Atmospheric Blackened Heavy Metal" band Shamash and I found one of their CDs for a few bucks. The entire album is rather... boring with high-pitched black metal vocals and semi-orchestral songs, but then there is a double-bass solo. Two bass guitars playing for four minutes straight. The sound on that song is very different form the rest of the album and it just feels weird.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olHZa4Lzndg

299796kms
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:22 pm 

Coroner's cover of I Want You by the Beatles. It comes at the end of their dystopic Mental Vortex album, one of their darkest and most clinical albums. It's completely out of place and doesn't feel like it truly belongs, and yet, it's the one song from that album I'll put on repeat. I love how dirty it sounds, especially compared to the squeaky clean original.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:10 pm 

The last song on the first Ghost album. Awesome instrumental proggy psychedelia that I really hoped they do more of on their second album.

JerryLeeEx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:28 pm 

Angel of Disease on Morbid Angel's Covenant album. It's from their earlier days and has a much different sound from the rest of the album. But it's so goddam cool and intense that you have to love it!

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:38 pm 

Faith no More: in Angel Dust (1992), you get this Jizzlobber track. Sounds almost like Doom metal!
(I think I cited this one quite some times in these forums)
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:32 pm 

Feeling Free Again from Crystal Logic by Manilla Road. Lot`s of people say this song sounds out of place, a relatively simple rocker on an album full of balls to the walls metal. Personally, I love it. It`s one of my favorite songs on the album. Simple, but insanely catchy. I love feel good metal songs like that (or the similar Heavy Metal to the World).

ThrashingTheRedemer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:08 pm 

The Crying Orc is a mournfully simple departure from the rest of the material on Burzum's debut. Great fun to multi-track on guitar at home too!

ghroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:12 pm 

A very recent example is on Colored Sands by Gorguts. Halfway through the album there's an entire song that's nothing but a string quintet. It fits the album really well, but it was jarring at first to hear some classical sounding music surrounded by a bunch of technical death metal.

Reply to topic