Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:17 pm 

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/03/16/290696376/westboro-baptist-founder-is-on-the-edge-of-death-son-says?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=npr&utm_campaign=nprnews&utm_content=03162014

Well, what's everyone think about this?

PS, sorry if it's been posted already, I didn't see anything.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:35 pm 

The big debate now seems to be whether people should picket his funeral or not. I'd personally support the latter option; the WBC may be delusional but they're also at least self-aware, and are liking expecting a big "haha, take that" picket of some sort. Not doing so would likely annoy them even more.

That said, I'm interested if we'll ever find out why he was excommunicated...Some have said it's possible he had some sort of end-of-life revelation and denounced his/the church's ways, but I think it's more than likely he was just getting senile and started advocating things that could actually give people a legitimate case against the church. (I.e., physical violence...Again, the WBC may be crazy but they're well aware of things they're legally allowed and not allowed to do.)

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:17 pm 

The only correct way to mock his passing would be to have anal sex while wearing a cowboy hat.

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
That said, I'm interested if we'll ever find out why he was excommunicated...Some have said it's possible he had some sort of end-of-life revelation and denounced his/the church's ways, but I think it's more than likely he was just getting senile and started advocating things that could actually give people a legitimate case against the church. (I.e., physical violence...Again, the WBC may be crazy but they're well aware of things they're legally allowed and not allowed to do.)

Spokesperson Steven Drain claims that Phelps is in a care facility. I doubt he has been actually "excommunicated", more like he has been removed from his leadership position since he's an old man with severe health problems. They're strictly controlling access so no one outside of the cult can visit or speak to him, which indicates to me that he's still a true believer and involved with the cult, just not in a leadership position.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Vipunen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:22 pm 

Let him be remembered as a hero who unintentionally did a lot to advance LGBT rights.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 pm 

Well he certainly did not do mainstream homophobes a favor, that's for damn sure. "Hero" is giving him way too much credit; at best he was a useful idiot.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:05 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
The big debate now seems to be whether people should picket his funeral or not. I'd personally support the latter option; the WBC may be delusional but they're also at least self-aware, and are liking expecting a big "haha, take that" picket of some sort. Not doing so would likely annoy them even more.

I agree. It'd be better not to sink to their level.

Anyway, I'm pretty impartial about the news. Condolences to his family. Hopefully they'll slow down, or at least temper the crap they pull.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:26 pm 

Unlikely. Steven Drain is the new boss, same as the old boss.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:27 pm 

ClaymanOnFire wrote:
Condolences to his family. Hopefully they'll slow down, or at least temper the crap they pull.

From what I know, certain members of his family are far worse than he was, so I doubt this will hamper them at all.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:28 pm 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
Well he certainly did not do mainstream homophobes a favor, that's for damn sure. "Hero" is giving him way too much credit; at best he was a useful idiot.

I'm not quite sure that you're grasping the intentional irony of the previous post.

Anyway, Phelp's impending death is neither here nor there as far as I'm concerned. WBC ceased to be a sensation (or an outrage) for me a long, long time ago. They just exist.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:35 pm 

I couldn't care less what happens to the guy, but the excommunication really...bothers me to be honest. What could he have done?

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:58 am 

Woolie_Wool wrote:

That's the funniest thing is it had the exact opposite effect of what they wanted. Spewing a bunch of hate is going to turn people in the other direction, regardless of how right or wrong you may be.

So in that line of thinking, I think protesting his funeral in return may generate sympathizers for the Westborough Baptist Church and we certainly don't want that as it runs counter to what we all want.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:02 am 

the_raytownian wrote:
Woolie_Wool wrote:

I'm not quite sure that you're grasping the intentional irony of the previous post.

Anyway, Phelp's impending death is neither here nor there as far as I'm concerned. WBC ceased to be a sensation (or an outrage) for me a long, long time ago. They just exist.

Again, it's possible he had become senility-induced delusional enough to start advocating things that would have gotten the church in legitimate legal trouble, had they been heard by the public, so the excommunication could have been a form of preemptive damage control. Some sort of deathbed renouncement of his beliefs would theoretically be nice, but that's a ridiculously idealistic possibility.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:03 am 

If it wasn't for Fox news or whoever keeps putting them on tv, they wouldve gone away and stopped protesting a long time ago. As one journalist said "they love the camera". I mean really, every single interview is the same shit.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:10 pm 

I audibly said, "yesss." I know, I know, death is crappy, but it's Fred fuckin' Phelps we're talking about.

Also, if there is a god, the first thing he'll probably say to Fred is, "what the fuck are you doing, bro? This shit? Really?"

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:37 pm 

Honestly, I'm not gonna celebrate or say that this is good.....but I honestly feel nothing of sorrow, sympathy or anything remotly kind. This bastard led his family to inflict emotional and mental anguish, claim it was right and used the law (very cleverly I'll admit) to continually do it. While I sadly doubt this will slow down the family at all, hell he might be a matyr and they go on stronger, we are atleast free of not only one of them, but one of the most crucial members.

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:40 pm 

ClaymanOnFire wrote:
Smoking_Gnu wrote:

I agree. It'd be better not to sink to their level.

I agree. The best thing to do would be to ignore his funeral. That would be the best way to snub them. The WBC would love if a bunch of protesters showed up. Don't protest, ignore the funeral and that is the ultimate burn.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:52 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Also, if there is a god, the first thing he'll probably say to Fred is, "what the fuck are you doing, bro? This shit? Really?"

With these sorts of things I always like to imagine how fucked we'd all be if it turns out these people were 100% right all along. I wake up at the pearly gates and God's right hand man Fred Phelps sends me straight down to Hell.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:18 pm 

Picketing his funeral would be more noise pollution.

Fred's just more fodder for the dirt-worlders. May he be forgotten.

Last edited by Grave_Wyrm on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:25 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
I audibly said, "yesss." I know, I know, death is crappy, but it's Fred fuckin' Phelps we're talking about.

Bill Maher said it best when talking about Jerry Falwell dying; death isn't always sad.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:56 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:

With these sorts of things I always like to imagine how fucked we'd all be if it turns out these people were 100% right all along. I wake up at the pearly gates and God's right hand man Fred Phelps sends me straight down to Hell.

The Fred Phelps of the world are 100% wrong. These people claim to be Christians but all they do is spew hate and intolerance. Christ taught us to love one another and help each other. Not to mention being gay is not a choice. I haven't ever met a real Christian unfortunately. A real Christian would be more concerned with helping the poor and the sick rather than focusing on hating gay people and abortions.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:44 pm 

http://www.power1057.com/common/page.ph ... &is_corp=0

Both Phelps' son (the one who made the first announcement) and members of a Kansas LGBT group are asking people not to protest his funeral.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:15 pm 

That's what you get when you chase buttsexers with pickets and torches.

No, but in all seriousness, hopefully these people will calm down in a few years. The Christian faith is based on acceptance, not conviction of everyone else, and he'll soon learn that shit.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:01 pm 

Unfortunately I doubt their dying-down would happen that quickly - The fact that there are still young members in the WBC family who haven't split off like Nathan are a testament to that. Granted, that people have left shows its at least possible, but as far I'm aware there are still more of Fred's children who have stayed in the church than those who have left (correct me if I'm wrong.) I think it'll at least take another generation or two for the attrition rate to rise above 50% of a given generation.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:44 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
http://www.power1057.com/common/page.php?pt=Westboro+Baptist+Leader+Dying%2C+Relatives+Ask+for+People+to+Not+Protest+his+Funeral&id=18773&is_corp=0

Both Phelps' son (the one who made the first announcement) and members of a Kansas LGBT group are asking people not to protest his funeral.

Ironic for the son to make that statement. I have no clue what his relationship to the rest of the family is though.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:12 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
Ironic for the son to make that statement. I have no clue what his relationship to the rest of the family is though.

I'm fairly certain his son is one of the few family members to not be a part of the WBC, and get away from that shit. There have been a small number of lucky ones either disowned and outed, or gained their sanity and left on their own. Can't remember which case describes the son, though. At the end of the day, family is family, so it makes sense he still wants to say his farewells to his father, though apparently the rest of the WBC is trying to prevent him from doing so.

Probably the most dysfunctional family on earth.

Ganondox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:22 pm 

Good riddance. He isn't worth anymore words.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:00 am 

overtenmy wrote:
The Fred Phelps of the world are 100% wrong. These people claim to be Christians but all they do is spew hate and intolerance. Christ taught us to love one another and help each other. Not to mention being gay is not a choice. I haven't ever met a real Christian unfortunately. A real Christian would be more concerned with helping the poor and the sick rather than focusing on hating gay people and abortions.

With the Bible being so vague (for some reason god did it this way in all his infinite wisdom) it's hard to tell who is truly living a Christian life.

If you were basing it on just Christ's teachings and actions alone, then yes wander the earth and help the less fortunate.

If you're adding in Paul's teachings and other New Testament goodies, then you run into sexism and homophobia and other socially inappropriate actions.

And if you go by the Old Testament, then you now have all sorts of immorality.

There just needs to be a brand new Bible with just the good stuff. Sermon on the Mount. Love your neighbor. Etc. It's easy to find with this simple rule of thumb. Anytime a Christian has to make excuses why god would have this in the Bible, it's one of the bad parts. Anytime a Christian can easily point to that passage and generate agreement, it's one of the good parts.

The WBC just basically fixated way too much on the bad parts of the Bible.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:09 am 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/1 ... 81300.html

Well that was unexpected. Apparently there had been some sort of power struggle between leaders in the WBC, and Phelps' call for a "kinder approach" in dealing with intra-church conflict led to his exile.

Bear in mind his "kinder approach" thing only referred to how the church deals with internal conflict among members, not anything related to its condemning of LGBT issues. Still, this could be a cause for hope - If the church is so dysfunctional they kick out their founder for making a suggestion (to say nothing of the revelation that there are apparently other power struggles within), its potential to collapse from within may be greater than many had hoped.

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:13 am 

I feel the same way as I did when Margaret thatcher died: GOOD.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:50 pm 

Groups like this never die if they run into internal struggle. They simply splinter into several groups, every one of them at least as annoying as the original one.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:01 pm 

I don't know, but offering salvation to someone in need isn't the same as spouting hatred and stupidity in the name of the church. Jesus didn't picket outside the funerals of homosexuals and fallen soldiers, I don't think. I don't see that family doing any good in the name of God, you know, since they are sooooo devout. He tried to be a modern crusader I guess, by condemning anyone and everyone outside his little circle. Now, his family is broken and he has nothing to show for his efforts. I can't wait to read his obituary.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:05 pm 

Arkhane wrote:
The Christian faith is based on acceptance

:???: o_O :lol:

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:09 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Arkhane wrote:
The Christian faith is based on acceptance

:???: o_O :lol:

It is, regardless of whether or not its followers behave in such a way.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:22 pm 

The Christian faith is based on whatever the guy who picks up the book thinks sounds good.

As for the news..... Well, I feel more pity for the old bastard than anything else. He lead a bitter, hate-filled existence, and he achieved nothing of importance. Too bad.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:01 pm 

"Don't feed the trolls" applies just as much to real life as it does to the internet, people. All the hoopla over the Westboro Baptist church is just free advertising for them. They do this controversial shit on purpose because they KNOW it will piss people off and make them famous - and it has. If everyone just shut up and ignored them they'd probably peter out in a week or so.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:14 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
The Christian faith is based on whatever the guy who picks up the book thinks sounds good.

Those who take the time to read it all the way through will find out differently. But I don't think this conversation will end very pleasantly, and I'm not a preacher, so I'll stop here.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:33 pm 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/2 ... 00577.html

Well it is official.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:01 pm 

Eh, I honestly think if anything he helped the gay cause by making its opponents look awful. Can't say I really care that he's dead or anything.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:44 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/20/fred-phelps-dead_n_5000577.html

Well it is official.

Thank God!

Veld
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:33 pm 

Unity wrote:
AcidWorm wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/20/fred-phelps-dead_n_5000577.html

Well it is official.

Thank God!

Thank the years of stress he's dealt with doing what those inbred christians did and not gaining ground, must have pissed him off. Thank Go... wait, who? Now, I don't believe in anything, just myself. Most people I meet are nice, whatever they are ( I live in Canada ), and I don't care what they are. As long as they don't push me, I won't push back. But this group is just another extremist group no different than the Taliban in the middle east, but in America. I think all these religious people though, should just go to church and do whatever good deeds that they do, just do their thing. Whether it be a food drive, donating to the needy, whatever. Then back to reality. It's pretty sad people have to spend days making signs to denounce the life of a soldier or gay people or whatever.

I think about it like this. Ignorance is bliss, when it comes to people going to war, or being gay, or whatever. So let those people die, their families grieve, and get on with your own life.

At least he's dead. This is great news for me, more so than Gaddafi or Hussein. I'd rather die in a nuclear, chemical obliteration than hear about these hillbillies doing their "good deeds".

Maybe they'll dissolve, or get stronger. Either or, USA's problem, and it will never be mine. Sorry guys.
Veld looks exactly how I picture Canadian terrorists - big gun, big beard, but an oddly friendly demeanor that suggests "I would very much like to blow something up, but I don't know who to ask about it".

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next