Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:17 am 

Off the top of my head, Antediluvian, Prosanctus Inferi, probably Father Befouled (still waiting on their CD in the mail). 'Mortal Throne of Nazarene' is probably my all-time favorite death metal album so it's not like I mind that kind of sound being recycled a bit.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:14 am 

the obvious answer is to look to bands related by band members past and present, like Disma and Funerus, Disciples of Mockery for eg.

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:47 pm 

I guess it's how you define "Incantation wannabe"

In general, Occult Black/Death stuff is all within the realm of stuff already mentioned, though really I don't consider Antediluvian(new stuff, early demos were way more Incantaion-y), Mitochondrion and Dead Congregation to be clones of Incantation.

3 bands I would mention: Ritual Necromancy, Vasaeleth and Altars(AUS)

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:26 pm 

Here are some bands that are worth listening to. Not all are clones of Incantation but they are all worth listening to and draw influence from, or from cavernous black/death in general.

Grave Miasma - Morbid Angel, Austopsy, and Incantation are just some of the main influences here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxht_NzTd8I

Impetuous Ritual - Australian band that is along the same lines as Portal, and Mitochondrian.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ3q9O3HVcU

Corpsessed - Finnish band drawing main influences from the old Finnish scene like Demigod but also Incantation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_eWjXCBDVM

Ævangelist -This is one of my favourites in this style. Very dark atmosphere, and a bit of an industrial feel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6IFSA9pcDM

Dead Congregation which has already been mentioned has a new album due out this year and is one of the most anticipated death metal releases for death metal fans.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:43 pm 

Good picks. Thanks.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:58 am 

Disma, Funerus, Disciples of Mockery all kick ass BTW. I was talking more about bands putting stuff out right now (though I would love another Disma album).

The "Incantation wannabe" thing was sort of tongue in cheek too. But I really like that style of death metal in general.

sheshdd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:17 am 

Ignivomous,their last release was in 2012 though.Burial Invocation would also be a good pick,but they split up 2 years ago.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:02 pm 

Bands like Ignivomous, Impetuous Ritual, Grave Upheaval I would honestly put in a slightly different category. Sure they have a detectable Incantation influence somewhere in there, but they take the music in such a violent, chaotic direction that in spirit they remind me more of Blasphemy et. al.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:20 am 

Encoffination is another one that could be considered an Incantation wannabe.

I like them, they are dark and atmospheric, very doomy. Contrast with Impetuous Ritual which is very brutal and violent.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell
RIP DIO

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:29 pm 

Nah, I don't think Encoffination has much in common with Incantation (apart from logo font!). Yeah, they're both death metal and dark, but apart from that, not much common sound. Father Befouled, whom the OP mentioned, are probably one of the closets, sound wise. Don't just check out the albums (I must admit I haven't heard their latest from 2012), but explore their EP out put as well, Profano ad Regnum is absolutely crushing for example.

Maybe check out Drawn and Quartered? They don't have as many slower parts as Incantation, but fucking dark and heavy stuff. All their albums are great, but maybe start with their middle stuff, Return of the Black Death, Hail Infernal Darkness.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:21 am 

A lot of great bands mentioned so far, and most of them sit on my shelves in my collection, but I'll mention another great Incantation influenced band, in the form of Cruciamentum. The Convocation Of Crawling Chaos demo fucking owns, and is viciously, brutally heavy, but the Engulfed In Desolation EP is also stellar.

From the demo
Deathless Ascension
Convocation Of Crawling Chaos

From the EP
Through The Gates Of Morpheus Realms
Fallen In Disease

Gonna second the HELL out of Grave Miasma - one band you need to hear
Ritual Lair (what a fucking song!!)

My collection

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:27 am 

Check out Set - Upheaval of Unholy Darkness, it's more blackened than most Incantation style death metal, but it's very similar in my opinion. It's more than simply a wannabe, though.

Drawn And Quartered is obviously more than simply Incantation wannabe as well, but they have similar things in their music, especially the albums Extermination Revelry, Merciless Hammer of Lucifer and Feeding Hell's Furnace. The debut album has one very Incantation-styled song that could be considered worship, called Implements of Hell. It reminds me of something from Onward to Golgotha, maybe Profanation.

AxeheaveR
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:10 am 

Years late and fortunes short. Try Cruciamentum, Ascended, Ritual Necromancy, Krypts, Drawn and Quartered (more Immolation style, but they have Incan moments).... none of my suggestions are pre clones, just band with healthy and obvious Incantation influence in their sound.

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:08 pm 

I agree with the Drawn and Quartered recommendation. I highly recommend their latest album "The One Who Lurks."

I'd also recommend Ritual Chamber. The drummer from Drawn and Quartered and Infester, does everything on the album. The music has a real Incantation vibe to it.

Spoiler: show
Youtube: show

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:44 am 

I have always thought Blaspherian was the best Incantation-style band and they're working on a new full-length right now.

their first one:
Youtube: show

Reply to topic