Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:07 am 

Recently, I made a smartlist (a dynamic playlist with rules, for those of you who don't know what that is), and by the time I was done working it out, I was left with the qualifying releases by the following bands:

Amia Venera Landscape
Architects (Lost Forever // Lost Together)
Doyle Airence
Fall of Minerva
Iwrestledabearonce
Norma Jean (Meridional onward)
Underoath (Define the Great Line onward, but especially emphasising Ø (Disambiguation))

Sky blue indicates a band that I found on my own since I began this thread. Red indicates a band that I found with your help. Everything else, I already had or knew about.

Basically, I'm looking for a certain form of metalcore/post-hardcore with somewhat specific characteristics and an aesthetic that is a little difficult to describe. There's a certain aggressiveness and intensity about the above acts on the mentioned releases that has really been rocking my socks lately (it's kind of funny, actually: feels like I'm experiencing a throwback to my teen years, but more intelligent and selective), and I feel like I could round this whole thing out with one or two (or three) more acts in this vein.

Now, I should note that As I Lay Dying and Ovid's Withering don't quite fit like the others do, being influenced largely by (melodic) death metal. They are retained because they just happened to survive the restrictions I placed upon the list. I'm not bothered by their inclusion because, let's face it: they're definitely aggressive, through and through, they don't break the mood in a playlist like this, and I won't necessarily reject suggestions similar to their format. However, I would still like to note that I am not stressing the melodeath/deathcore side of things here.

Instead, the acts I'm looking for are those who tend to spend more time in the alternative and, dare I say, commercial side of things, yet still manage to experiment, and hit hard by way of jarring, unconventional riffing, general loudness, a "wall-of-sound" effect, and a vocalist with a penchant for intense screaming (usually employing the fry technique, rather than the death growl/false chord)--yelling or shouting is also welcome (and often present in this kind of music). It helps if the act employs a prominent-but-subdued post-rock/metal or sludge influence, but not necessarily in the same vein as actual post-metal acts. To sum that last point up, it might be apt to say that I'm looking for sludgy (or just generally heavy and distorted) post-hardcore without the doom vibe exhibited by bands like Cult of Luna, Old Man Gloom, and VYGR. Norma Jean are probably the best example of this and the other mentioned traits, especially on their two most recent albums, Meridional and Wrongdoers, though Underoath were treading down a similar path by the time they released Ø (Disambiguation), before they disbanded. In both cases, their late-era works represent an abundance of aggression for works rooted in post-hardcore, and leave the listener thoroughly and satisfyingly spent by the time they cease to spin.

To impart some more general stipulations, experimental/avant-garde leanings are not discouraged, and are even welcome (as the presence of Iwrestledabearonce should probably well attest), but I'm not necessarily looking for mathcore. I am also okay with chugging and breakdowns, but only if their inclusion is consistent with the rest of the song at hand. In other words, if the entire tempo and mood of the song changes to accommodate the breakdown (basically, the problem most metal purists have with -core genres in general), that's a no-go. Such is literally why, as promising as I felt they were in most of the other areas, the band Northlane just didn't quite do it for me. I also have mixed feelings towards the arena rock shouting chants present in some hardcore punk(-influenced) acts. I'm okay with electronic influence, but not to the extent that it becomes straight electronicore i.e. autotune and whatnot. Obviously, lyrical content doesn't matter much to me; however, much as I am down with the (in)famous modern post-hardcore croon, I prefer that it doesn't sound boyish (Spencer Chamberlain's clean delivery is a good reference for the cleans that I am okay with, whereas Aaron Gillespie is that awkward vocalist that I had to adjust to).

To cite some examples, I ordered Architects' Lost Forever // Lost Together a few days ago (I know...I was a bit discomforted by the (scr)emo-ish title as well, but got over it once I actually heard it) for managing to be accessible, heavy, and atmospheric--often all at once. I was instantly won over to a buy by Norma Jean's Wrongdoers when I heard it all the way through for the first time tonight. Bring Me the Horizon's most recent offering, Sempiternal, is definitely on the right track, though I am on the fence about it due to the aforementioned arena rock chants and the pop vestiges. Senses Fail also feel like they have potential, now that they've released Renacer, being like a less thick and sludgy Norma Jean on some tracks, but still lacks in heaviness and "punch", probably because they're still leaning a bit too much on their alternative aspects.

It's picky and overly detailed, but I hope this make sense. I'm interested to hear of the suggestions y'all might have.

EDIT: I appreciate Metatoine's effort to fix the title for accuracy, but I changed it again to something yet more apt since, once again, I am not necessarily looking for mathcore or melodeath-influenced metalcore. If "post-hardcore" really doesn't describe what I'm looking for (I think it does, but water under the bridge, &c.), then I guess we can use the "emo/screamo" stereotype if it gives you all a better idea of the basis I'm referring to. I still don't find that apt, though, since most of the acts mentioned aren't really all that emo--not during the era(s) specified.

EDIT 2: Removed As I Lay Dying and Ovid's Withering, since, as stated above, their format is not what I'm looking for here, much as I like them.

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

Last edited by Schmengie on Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 am, edited 8 times in total.
IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:36 pm 

Sounds like you might like Glass Cloud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5wt2OOLOCg

And The Color Morale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSe_Jz0KhbY

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:40 pm 

The Color Morale is close: could be a bit heavier and darker, and a little less conventional. I am positive that if they decided to take such a turn on a hypothetical future outing, they'd be precisely what I am looking for. Good suggestion, keep it up! :)

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:38 pm 

No other suggestions?

I imagine that most of you won't have many, since what I'm looking for in this thread isn't the kind of music that's well-liked 'round these parts. Might as well clamour one more time though.

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:52 pm 

I mean, most of what you listed I would not consider "Post-Hardcore" and that genre in general doesn't really exist IMO. I guess from the listed bands you want chaotic, metallic and melodic modern Metalcore. So I would recommend stuff like The Chariot, Chiodos, The Dillinger Escape Plan, etc.

I'd also highly recommend the recent War From a Harlots Mouth

Personally, I love dark Screamo and Screamo influenced stuff: Funeral Diner, Joshua Fit for Battle, Circle Takes the Square, Gospel, Cara Neir and deafheaven.

pbarb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:59 am 

Why Zao is not on there baffles me as they are a huge influence to half the bands there

Ohrwurm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:58 am 

Let's see...

There's Walls of Jericho, In This Moment, Drop Dead Gorgeous, The Devil Wears Prada and Silverstein. I used to be an emo, so I might have some more, but it's been years so a lot is slipping my mind. Atreyu maybe?

last.fm

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:38 pm 

Title edited again for clarity.

I'll get to your recommendations today. :)

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:03 pm 

I thought of some others that you may enjoy:

As Cities Burn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW7tAaT5Bus

Exotic Animal Petting Zoo (Kind of post-rock-ish/experimental post-hardcore)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJbxTApUtho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e7qvR2_jkU

Ohrwurm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:11 pm 

Gatherum wrote:
Title edited again for clarity.

I'll get to your recommendations today. :)

With that edit, Atreyu's Lead Sails and a Paper Anchor should be perfect. It's the only album from that period that I still spin too.

last.fm

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:47 pm 

Ehhh...Atreyu seems a lot more like metalcore's answer to Avenged Sevenfold, which is not quite what I'm looking for. It isn't terrible, but also not particularly exciting. :P

As Cities Burn was, quite simply, not heavy enough. Was essentially run-of-the-mill screamo-ish post-hardcore.

Exotic Animal Petting Zoo immediately reminded me of Mindless Self Indulgence for a few seconds when it came to his cleans; I never liked Mindless Self Indulgence all that much. That, however, diminished, and the vocalist eventually sounded a bit more distinct. Then, it got kind of amazing. Considering the experimentation, I wouldn't call it the definitive template for what I'm looking for, but I'll definitely look further into it. Good rec. :)

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:45 pm 

So I stumbled upon Fall of Minerva last night, being that I am still on this binge, and they totally rocked my socks off, what with the aggressive vocalist, post-rock atmospherics (and even some keyboarding!), unconventional heaviness, and sound wall. Their Seasons EP prompted me to an instant buy, and is a prime example of what I was looking for here. Standout songs in particular are "The Lingering Agony of an Exhausted Soul" and "What Dreams May Come".

In case anyone had any more suggestions. :)

guitar_metal_777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:24 am 

OH BOY OH, have I got a band for you. Actually, they're like Fall of Minerva in a lot of ways, so if that's what you like, I suggest to you Amia Venera Landscapes.

EDIT:

GOddamnit I don't know how to make the video post, so here's the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXhRkhc_CaU

Honestly, the 5:00 mark comes out of nowhere for me.

Noktorn wrote:
I'd imagine that my parents are very tired with me saying "OH MY GOD LISTEN TO THIS RIFF HERE IT'S AMAZING why are you walking away from me. "

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:16 am 

...You know, I stumbled upon these guys before on Last.fm while looking for music like this. I think the player failed or something, so I went and found their Bandcamp, but before I could partake, I had to vacate for work. I tried to commit them to memory, but that name, while certainly an eye-opener, is difficult to remember when you have other things to do.

But, holy fuck. o.o

I am quite glad that you brought them up again! Not only is this (an experimental form of) precisely what I'm looking for, it also somehow manages to construct half of the bridge between the above acts and the sludge/post-metal bands I am so fond of (with the other half of the bridge being the territory of Devil Sold His Soul). I also detect certain intimations to Between the Buried and Me, but more dynamic and varied.

I think I'll be picking this up! Thank you! \m/

EDIT: Bought the début, along with a t-shirt. :3

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:51 am 

Have a look at this band called Burst - http://burstband.bandcamp.com/
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Burst/15620

I'd say they play a blend of metalcore, post-metal and some proggy elements. I'm not sure but they could satisfy your requirements.

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:31 am 

Burst are cool. Known about them for years, several before I even knew post-metal was a thing. I do have a fancy for Origo. They're not really what I'm looking for here, having more to do with other post-metal bands with emphasis on the prog side, like The Ocean, but thanks for reminding me of them anyway. :)

hailfatherdagon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:55 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgv_IJF_9Lw

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:03 pm 

Already have The Ocean. That said, great rec. :3

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:00 pm 

Hmm, I have now a different idea of what you're after, maybe, just maybe, you'll enjoy Downfall of Gaia and Mouth of the Architect.

Downfall of Gaia

Mouth of the Architect

Syntek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:14 am 

Viatrophy are literally the epitome of what you're looking for here.

Lots of aggressive metalcore sections, post-metal/post-rock sections, sometimes fusions of the two. See if you dig.

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:45 pm 

I see that Downfall of Gaia sound quite a bit like a sludge/post-metal band, albeit with more of a tempo. Wasn't a fan of the vocal delivery at first, but it grew on me. What really got me interested was that it kept building, and somehow, they managed a seamless transition into post-black metal territory, with a grimness nearly comparable to Altar of Plagues. I love Altar of Plagues, so that was definitely a treat for me. That being said, it's not consistent with what I'm looking for in this thread; however, it's so awesome in other ways that I might end up adding them to my collection anyway. Win! \m/

Mouth of the Architect, I had in my library a long time ago when I was just getting into post-metal and binging on it. They're all right--not really the cream of the crop, and also not what I have in mind, but they're good enough with what they do play to be worth consideration. I'd need to hear more.

Viatrophy are more death metal-oriented, which is all right, though there are an abundance of breakdowns bordering on the breaking of the flow. I'm not hearing much of a post-rock influence, honestly.

Syntek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:06 pm 

Gatherum wrote:
Viatrophy are more death metal-oriented, which is all right, though there are an abundance of breakdowns bordering on the breaking of the flow. I'm not hearing much of a post-rock influence, honestly.

I always thought the breakdowns were fairly tasteful, but eh, neither here nor there, I guess.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6N6JbAnqSY[/youtube]

Here's a more post-metal influenced track by them.

guitar_metal_777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:44 pm 

Gatherum wrote:
...You know, I stumbled upon these guys before on Last.fm while looking for music like this. I think the player failed or something, so I went and found their Bandcamp, but before I could partake, I had to vacate for work. I tried to commit them to memory, but that name, while certainly an eye-opener, is difficult to remember when you have other things to do.

But, holy fuck. o.o

I am quite glad that you brought them up again! Not only is this (an experimental form of) precisely what I'm looking for, it also somehow manages to construct half of the bridge between the above acts and the sludge/post-metal bands I am so fond of (with the other half of the bridge being the territory of Devil Sold His Soul). I also detect certain intimations to Between the Buried and Me, but more dynamic and varied.

I think I'll be picking this up! Thank you! \m/

EDIT: Bought the début, along with a t-shirt. :3

Here's something a little different and not exactly what you're looking for, but give it a try.

This band, Junius who I saw in Chicago some months ago. Very doomy, atmospheric. Most of their songs are pretty midpaced and they're not as aggressive as any of the bands I mentioned. Mood is a little too sappy at times, but whatever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poQTQTTP_tA

I also saw this band, Circle Takes the Square, last night. They also have a very doomy sound interspliced with a lot of old school screamo ala Raein and Saetia. Far angrier sounding, heavy grinding riffs.

This album released in 2012:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZxWSYOykpQ

Noktorn wrote:
I'd imagine that my parents are very tired with me saying "OH MY GOD LISTEN TO THIS RIFF HERE IT'S AMAZING why are you walking away from me. "

StraightEdge
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:57 am 

I too have been looking for music like this. Lots of good finds here so far.

Anyway, my contribution is Ghost Brigade. They are probably a bit on the softer/less abrasive style but I think they have a unique sound going. I don't even know which song to post because I love all their songs, so here's a cool official video of theirs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kubmMxykI8

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:20 pm 

Junius sound like a combination of recent Throes of Dawn, a little bit of The Foreshadowing, and some alternative-inspired gothic/post-metal. I haven't heard a combination like this before, so this was something of a treat. It has almost nothing to do with anything else here, but I want to hear more. :)

Circle Takes the Square...ehhh. I can see why you called them "old school". I don't really like the song compositions, to be honest: they're inconsistent, and not really in a good way...like Underoath on Act of Depression, but with no death metal influence, and with kind of an annoying vocalist.

I have Ghost Brigade. :D
Interesting bridge between Katatonia-esque depressive rock, death/doom, and post-metal, but often not in one song. Until Fear No Longer Defines Us is a great album that I bought not long after hearing it for the first time, but I'm kind of hoping that they figure out how to make their various influences cohesive.

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:07 pm 

You might enjoy "As They Sleep" - they're a bit heavier than some you've commented on previously, but would seem to meet most of your requirements.

Dig it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCzi0V2p5N0

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:02 pm 

Hmm...As They Sleep seem like a pretty run-of-the-mill Killswitch Engage/All That Remains-esque act, but lacking clean vocals and adding some deathcore influence here and there. It's good background music to my ears, but doesn't wow me.

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:06 pm 

Gatherum wrote:
Hmm...As They Sleep seem like a pretty run-of-the-mill Killswitch Engage/All That Remains-esque act, but lacking clean vocals and adding some deathcore influence here and there. It's good background music to my ears, but doesn't wow me.

All good, M8. I'm enjoying many of the bands you've surfaced on this thread!

infected_dignity
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:59 pm 

Fear Before the March of Flames
This is also post rock tinged metalcore that has more noise elements and a somewhat inferior vocal. You guys will enjoy this.

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:42 am 

The Blinding Light is what would've happened if Eyehategod and Converge made a baby.

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:05 am 

I feel like you would dig the fuck out of LLNN

Last FM

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:05 pm 

Rosetta is a great band in this vein, and all of their stuff is by donation on bandcamp.

https://theanaesthete.bandcamp.com/music

EDIT:

Comrades is also another great example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pF39j4253Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee1VzJg ... U2io5nr9gd

Reply to topic