Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:28 am 

Peeping Tom is basically a pop album by Mike Patton and its sick as fuck
Caravans’ stoned deliverance"-Sleep's Dopesmoker

LO FI GRIND- http://alaskanpipelinesgrinds.bandcamp.com/

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:32 am 

^Agreed. Actually, everything by Mike Patton is sick as fuck!

Via_Nocturna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:49 pm 

Wardruna's two albums. Yep, both of them.

SluseTheInventor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:45 pm 

Ghostface Killah's new album is pretty much a 12/10

lowki1087
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:55 am 

M.D.C - Millions of Dead Cops

No explanation needed.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:58 am 

lowki1087 wrote:
M.D.C - Millions of Dead Cops

No explanation needed.

As far as early American hardcore punk goes I would but those in front:

Black Flag - Damaged
Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables
Bad Brains - Bad Brains

From those three I would put Black Flag and Bad Brains at 100%. But M.D.C. is of course a classic.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:15 am 

I have my complete list of non-metal albums posted here in rateyourmusic:

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Paganbasq ... tal_albums

But I will mention a few ones:

Trobar de Morte(Fairydust and Legends of...): both albums are marvellous mastepieces of magnificent etheral folk/ambient.

The Chamaleons-Script of the Bridge: awesome post-punk/80s poprock.

Lana del Rey-Born to die: hypnotic pop/indie music.

The Beatles: almost every f*cking album.

Swarms-Old ravens end: incredible atmospheric dubstep.

Artesia-Chants de automme: another masterpiece of ethereal folk/neoclassic music.

The Moon and the Nighspirit-Rego retejm: mystic folk/ambient.

Of Monster and Men-My head is an animal: beautiful indie/folk.

Blutengel-Seelenschmerz: addictive EBM.

And so on....

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:36 pm 

I was listening to Faith No More - The Real Thing & GnR - Appetite for Destruction when I was in kindergarten (probably had something to do with why I was such a bad kid)
I'd give them a 100% like 20 years ago, but listening to them today probably a 60% :old:

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:43 pm 

Appetite for Destruction is the greatest hard rock album of all time. Not one single stinker on there. I also grew up with it, but I never grew out of it.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:52 pm 

Appetite is good but its no 100%. Only about half of that album is worth listening to so yeah I guess pretty much agree with ~60%.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:03 pm 

There's only one non-metal album I'd give 100% (The Mechanical Hand by HORSE the Band), so that's why I never post in this thread (which pretty quickly degenerated into "non metal albums I like"), but there isn't a single song I dislike. I agree it's no 100% but I'd put it in the low 90/high 80 range.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:32 pm 

There are two:

Porcupine Tree - The Incident: this is probably a controversial choice, but of all the great albums Mr. Wilson has created, this is perfection for me. While I'd say Fear of a Blank Planet had better songs (every single one there is great on its own), this is the masterpiece of album flow, coherence and variety. There's everything from poppy ballads, through prog, to some heavy and dark as fuck moments, and the atmosphere of the whole album is amazing. It starts with its feet firmly on the ground, and seems to gradually take off with every song, flying through the skies when it reaches I Drive The Hearse. It's at the same time a dark and dramatic album, and at the same time there's something incredibly warm and lovely about it.

Anathema - A Natural Disaster: ok, I know it's actually on the Archives but the last Anathema album with any level of metal is Judgement. What I can say about this album is... It's not technical perfection - the mix could be better in a few places and things like that. But it's not comparable with anything else for one simple reason.

It's the most beautiful and most atmospheric album ever created in my opinion.

And Violence is my favourite track ever created.

That's it.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:35 am 

severzhavnost wrote:
Not sure about giving it 100%, but Fejd's Eifur is beautiful top-flight Nordic folk. So pure and natural, it practically has healing properties. Seriously. Next time you've got a head cold, piss on the pharmaceuticals and let Fejd clear you right up. Damn fine music.

Fantastic band. Their demo material is nearly flawless.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:19 am 

One of the non-metal artists I rate most highly is Cypress Hill, particularly their first four albums, and I still follow DJ Muggs' various projects loyally. The Legend of the Mask and the Assassin, which is basically DJ Muggs producing and Sick Jacken/ Cynic rapping deserves somewhere between 90-98%. Apparently when I reviewed it I said:

"'El Barrio' seems as if it could have been lifted directly from Cypress Hill IV, and 'Black Ships' feels like a cross between 'Dr. Greenthumb' and 'Illusions' - at one point, the beat even lapses into 'How I Could Just Kill A Man' very briefly. These references accentuate the album's similiarity in dynamic to the Hill's sound. Psycho Realm frontman Sick Jacken's edged, nasal flow is backed up on almost every track by the gruffer voice of Cynic. Jack and Cynic are more than used to sharing the mic, with Psycho Realm and Street Platoon's many collaborations together (now known collectively as Sick Symphonies) behind them, and given the opportunity to bring their streets-honed, underground-inspired styles to an album with a legendary producer like Muggs encourages both emcees to put in definitive performances. The combined vitriol of the two makes uptempo joints like 'Unorthodox Blocks' and 'Reptilian Renaissance' standouts, and this record the best of the trilogy, comparable in quality and consistency to Cypress Hill. It is likely that, were this album recorded in the 1990s, it would be regarded a hip-hop classic."

There's a whole thing here: http://baileysmmcreamy.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... eriod.html

By the way that new Ghostface Killah album does have a great old school vinyl hip hop sound - shame I could never really dig the guy's flow.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:33 am 

Huh, I thought I had posted in this thread.

Slint - Spiderland

People really like talking about how this was a landmark release that helped shape post-rock, but it's also a very strange album with a really unsettling atmosphere and certain sense of dread that many bands they influence have never really succeeded in capturing. The liner notes include an advertisement for female vocalists, which indicates to me that the band wasn't happy with the vocals on the album, but I couldn't imagine them any other way. From the essentially spoken-word bits, to the strained crooning to the sort of post-hardcore shouting, they're really unlike anything else. Not to mention the slinking riffs, dry-as-a-bone production and loping drums. A really strange record to be sure, but I find it completely flawless.

Mogwai - EP+2

Mogwai are probably my favorite band and I enjoy all of their releases to varying degrees, but I think this early compilation stands as their most consistently brilliant release. The track order is perfect, and the disc features some of the bands most sombre melodies ("Burn Girl Prom Queen"), most intimate and delicate songs ("Christmas Song", "Rollerball") and the most perfect marriages of heart-wrenching melodicism and scathing noise ("Rage: Man" and "Small Children in the Background"). The production for the two releases this combines (EP and No Education = No Future (Fuck the Curfew)) is essentially identical so, despite technically being a compilation, this feels like a purpose-made album. I'd go so far as to say this release is the pinnacle of post-rock and is 100% essential to anyone even vaguely interested in the genre.

I would *almost* give 100% scores to Modest Mouse's first and third albums if it weren't for a couple of bits on each album that mar otherwise flawless releases ("Dog Paddle" on This is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About and "A Different City"/"The Cold Part" from The Moon and Antarctica). Same with Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation (Lee's vocals in "Eric's Trip" grate on me).

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

baron samedi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:17 am 

Queens of the Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf
Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

Mass Of The Fermenting Dregs - ワールドイズユアーズ (World Is Yours)
^this is female fronted shoegaze/post-pop-punk can't recommend it enough.

Aphex Twin - druqks
Yes - Yessongs (live album, but better than any of their early studio albums even in terms of production)
Mulatu Astatke - Ethiopiques Vol. 4
Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:04 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
Appetite is good but its no 100%. Only about half of that album is worth listening to so yeah I guess pretty much agree with ~60%.

I agree. No way it's THE greatest hard rock album. I'd give it a 70 maybe. Best hard rock album of all time is either Zeppelin III or Deep Purple's Machine Head.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:12 pm 

This thread is too good to discover music I can't let it die:

Can - Ege Bamyasi: This album is a little better than Tago Mago in my opinion. It is more consistent and enjoyable. It doesn't have anything to compete against Hallellujah(Probably their best song), but it does have some acid masterpieces like Pich and Soup. One of my favorites.

Chrono Trigger OST : It's just a great song after great song, even if you haven't played the game it's still an amazing experience.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:30 pm 

Chrono Trigger OST is great. I would probably come close to giving 100% to FFT's soundtrack too.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:34 am 

A7IE - Tabula Rasa. One of the few killer dark electro albums of the last 2 years, in a genre that has gone really stale.

Exigence

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:46 am 

The Gaslight Anthem - '59 Sound

About the closest thing anybody will come to a modern rock classic. It's 2012 counterpart "Handwritten" ain't too far behind...

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:31 am 

Cradle Of Filth: "Midnight In The Labyrinth".

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:02 pm 

SHIT, this is quite a challenge... thinking very hard, and the first squeezed titles would be:

The most consistently awesome, Scratch Acid's The Greatest Gift. Fucking Texas punk/gothic/blues venom.
Jesus Lizard - Goat (Dave Yow = the man).
Big Black - Songs About Fucking
Frank Zappa - Absolutely Free
Butthole Surfers - Psychic... Powerless.. Another Man's Sac
Country Joe & The Fish - Electric Music For The Mind And Body
John Coltrane - Meditations
Cocteau Twins - Treasure
Cheap Trick - Cheap Trick
Cows - Daddy Has A Tail
Iannis Xenakis' Electronic Music, it was and remains one of the most substantial listens for old great experimental electronic.
Love - Da Capo
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Deja Vu
Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced
Cream - Disraeli Gears
Ice Cube - AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted
Mobb Deep - The Infamous (the imperial reserve of dope beats)
Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
Yardbirds - Roger The Engineer
Christy Doran, Michael Wittwer and Freddy Studer - Red Twist & Tuned Arrow
Cramps - Songs The Lord Taught Us
John Fahey - The Transfiguration Of Blind Joe Death
Henry Cowell - Piano Music (some tunes played by himself, sheer brilliance)
Carlos Salzedo - Scintillation (bitchin' harp).
Ween - Chocolate And Cheese
Naked City - Naked City
Royal Trux - their debut/also known as Skull And Bones
Love Cry Want - Love Cry Want

(to be continued)

Last edited by TripeOverload on Wed May 14, 2014 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:36 am 

Acylum - The Enemy
Industrial/Dark Electro that is really dark, scary and harsh. Pounding beats, sinister atmosphere and a perfect combination of male/aggrotech, female vocals and samples.

Gor Lord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:52 pm 

I have a few non-metal albums that are just as important to me as my favorite metal albums.

Tom Waits: Rain Dogs, Real Gone, Mule Variations

Tom Waits is one of my most respected musicians. His work is nothing short of amazing to me... it really speaks to me on a deeper level.

Gogol Bordello: Gypsy Punks, Trans continental Hustle, Pura Vida Conspiracy

Much like Tom Waits, the songwriting of Eugene Hutz reaches deeper. If you are not familiar with these guys, keep an open mind and give them a try. They truly show that music is a spiritual medium that every culture embraces. Truly amazing shit. I have had the joy of seeing them live twice now, and I cannot even begin to tell you what an amazing experience it is to see this band in action.

Pink Floyd: Meddle, Dark Side of The Moon, The Division Bell, and my personal favorite... A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Pink Floyd... man, I don't think I need to even say anything more.

http://4-john-alexander.artistwebsites.com/

Buy my art. Hang it on your wall.

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:43 am 

Acylum - Karzinom
A bit softer than the rest of their discography, but more atmospheric and with orchestral samples, brings some fresh aspects to the formula of old-school industrial/dark electro pf the band.

sparklewhooves1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:07 am 

Well thats a bit hard for me, since metal and punk have been my main squeezes for years now. so i guess i could spread it out a bit.

Tragedy- Nerve damage (crust punk)

Sordo- Tactical Precision Violence EP (Powerviolence)

Infest- No mans slave (Hardcore/Powerviolence)

Black Flag- Slip it in (Hardcore)

Thats pretty much it in the punk department, as for other music....

Texas Flood- Stevie Ray Vaughn (Blues)

Joy Divison- Unknown Pleasures (Post rock/Post Punk(?)

Primus- Sailing the Seas Of Cheese (Funk Rock)

Screaming Trees-Clarivoyance (Grunge)

And that pretty much sums it up for my musical favorites that aren't metal. If it WERE metal, i would be here all day i assure you.

Ian “Lemmy” Kilmister of Motorhead - 2006

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:34 am 

Adolf Plays The Jazz - Muzzle The Birds EP
Greek post-rock with a strong cinematic feel and diverse influences.

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:06 am 

Aeldaborn - The Cosmic Trident
Neofolk with apocalyptic and ritualistic influences and lyrics about ancients myths. One of the very few recent neofolk albums of the last few years that I deem as worthwhile.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:06 am 

Tim Hecker - Ravedeath, 1972

Stunning work of ambient/drone. Completely immersive and utterly devastating. Once this one pulls you in it doesn't let go.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Slow Riot for new Zero Kanada

This is THE post-rock recording to me. Their first 2 full-lengths are masterpieces as well, but this recording, although shorter, is flawless. When I saw them live I nearly broke down in tears during "Moya," this EP is beyond powerful.

Car Seat Headrest - Twin Fantasy

Lo-fi, fuzzed out, occasionally folky indie rock. Super feelsy music & lyrics. One of my favorite live acts ever too.

I could list a bunch of other favorites that are near perfect but don't quite make the 100% mark.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:11 am 

Pennywise - Full Circle.

A total blast. Super good stuff

DivineSpirit33
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:51 pm 

For me, it's an album that I personally consider as Metal, but The Archives does not. It is Get What You Give by The Ghost Inside, a Post-Hardcore masterpiece. It is my all-time favorite album; I like it even more than Blood Stain Child's Mozaiq. I know that a ton of people hate breakdowns, but I love them, and that album uses them frequently yet effectively.

I would also give 100% to another album that I consider Metal but The Archives doesn't. That is Passion of the Heist by I Am Abomination, a little Progressive Power Metal EP. It's alien-themed, has a wonderful atmosphere, superb and memorable guitar riffs, and a fantastic vocalist.

~Guest 294409
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:00 pm 

Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, Maad City :oh shit:

CGB_Spender
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:26 am 

Walking With Strangers - The Birthday Massacre

First non-metallic band I've listened to in.....can't remember.

Developed a taste in the goth scene cause of these guys, and their hot female fans :D.

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:29 am 

Aghast View - Burned Beyond Recognition
The epitome of old school electro/ebm. Hard pounding rhythms and catchy sequences. And although technically a demo, the sound quality is fine. Initially released only on cassette, but re-issued on cd in 2011.

RainandRoses
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:34 am 

Lots and lots of them... a few that come to my mind right now:

Alcest - Shelter

I know many were disappointed with this one, but I just find it perfect, and the absence of metal doesn't bother me at all.

Arcade Fire - Funeral

Whithout a doubt the best indie rock album i've ever listened to (Neutral Milk Hotel's The Aeroplane Over the Sea comes at close second).

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Two albums that forever changed music and the way we percieve it.

Madredeus - O Espírito da Paz

My favourite album from one of the best Portuguese bands. Baroque folk and ethereal feminine vocals seasoned with new age-y keyboards create a spacey, sorrowful and melancholic atmosphere that is nothing short of perfect.

Marillion - Script for a Jester's Tear
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
Marillion - Clutching at Straws

Fresh, colourful, heartfelt, powerful, intimate, passionate, innovative, epic, melancholic, cheerful... Fish-era Marillion brilliantly combined the complexity of 70's prog with the punk energy of the 80's to create an unique sound, coupled with lyrical themes such as love, war, angst, depression, heartbreak, and a permeating sense of childhood nostalgia. Beautiful music indeed.

Sigur Rós - Ágætis Byrjun
Sigur Rós - ( )
Sigur Rós - Takk...

Sigur Rós are one of my favourite bands, and their three albums after Von (which was a pretty excellent one itself) are absolute masterpieces.

Yes - The Yes Album
Yes - Fragile
Yes - Close to the Edge

The fact that Close to the Edge is clearly the best album of the three doesn't take any merit away from the other two, since they are all flawless in my opinion... Nothing else in classic prog comes close to this (sorry Pink Floyd and King Crimson, I love you still :wink:). Epic, spiritual music at its best.

Last edited by RainandRoses on Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
slaveraider
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:08 pm 

NOT IN ORDER OF FAVORITISM
1. Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, The Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, The Wall
2. Prince and the Revolution - Purple Rain
3. Prince - 1999, Sign 'o' the Times
4. Black 'N Blue - Nasty Nasty
5. Cheap Trick - Cheap Trick, In Color, At Budokan
6. The Who - Live at Leeds
7. Queen - A Night at the Opera
8. Billy Squier - Signs of Life
9. Van Halen - I, II, 1984
10. The Police - Ghost in the Machine, Synchronicity
11. Sting - Ten Summoner's Tales
12. Led Zeppelin - ALL except Coda
13. David Lee Roth - Eat 'Em and Smile
14. Bob Marley & the Wailers - Rastaman Vibration
15. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?, Radio One
16. The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main St.

Last edited by slaveraider on Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:58 pm 

The Bronx's self-titled debut is hands down the best modern punk album. From the punch in the face intro the the slighly moody closer there isn't a single dull moment. Absolutely perfect in every way. A shame their later albums and Mariachi side project aren't nearly this good.

Panzerschreckrieg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:05 pm 

I can think of one really quickly off the top of my head. That would be Lucifer's Friend's debut album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y9AJ4HVAQg

Fans of 70's rock should definitely give this a listen. I didn't like it the first time around. It grew on me and now it's one of my favorite albums of all time without a doubt.

TDD
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:41 pm 

I can't believe people actually like those stinkers, The Beatles. Terrible band.
Plus all the other terrible stuff people have been posting here. But I'll try my best shot, as if it were my best non-metal favourite genre list of sorts. So albums / bands who deserve a full, perfect score would probably be (incomplete list for sure):
Swans - Anything up until their last couple of albums
Bauhaus - Mask, In The Flat Field
Sisters Of Mercy - practically everything
Sex Pistols - Nevermind the bollocks
The Exploited - Punk's not dead
Crass - Everything
Glen Danzig - Black Aria
Diamanda Galas - most of her early recording
Shub Niggurath - the french zeuhl band's couple of Latin-named albums
Gavin Friday - Each man kills the things he loves
Virgin Prunes - If I die, I die
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Minimal Compact - almost everything they ever did
I'll add some other bands and albums later on...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 43  Next