Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Bertuccia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:31 am 

I'm not an expert, so I ask why in this site their're considered simply death metal and not brutal

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:36 am 

i would say you can make an argument for either -

in 1992/ 1993 (i would say they do classify as brutal death metal ) but in 2014? looking at Torture / id say no

im guessing most people will say no

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:49 am 

cause there was no distinction between death metal and "brutal" death metal in the early 90s, i guess. and they don't fit the "brutal" tag anyway. far too listenable. *zing*

AcidMind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:04 am 

just death

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:11 am 

well severe torture / and Vomitory are both brutal death metal

and thoes bands #1 influence is Cannibal Corpse

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:16 am 

Later Cannibal Corpse is actually more technical than brutal. It's one of the bands that manage to sound very simplistic to the unattentive listener, whereas the riffing is highly complex and technically demanding.

While it has the chunky, sometimes groovy mid-paced sound of some brutal death stuff, I don't think it's part of the genre. The majority of the material is of the speedy, complex and energetic kind. It sounds highly violent, and it is definitely brutal-sounding stuff, but I don't think it's really in the subgenre of brutal death metal. That tends to have a different meaning than just death metal that's very brutal.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:25 am 

NecropsY wrote:
i would say you can make an argument for either -

in 1992/ 1993 (i would say they do classify as brutal death metal ) but in 2014? looking at Torture / id say no

im guessing most people will say no

I agree with this. Butchered At Birth and Tomb of the Mutilated are both pure brutal death to me. Even though a lot of their stuff is incredibly technical, it's more like the old-school style of technical death metal like Atheist and Cryptopsy than it is modern technical death metal. Though you could definitely see how a song like "Perverse Suffering" could have some huge influence on modern tech death bands.

I would just call them death metal.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:14 am 

Sure it's "brutal" music in the general sense, but in the specific sense of what the genre "brutal death metal" is currently taken to consist of, it doesn't fit that style. Dismember had some melodic moments but I wouldn't call them "melodic death metal", because that term refers (rightly or wrongly) to a specific style and sound.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

The Infamous Bastard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:06 am 

Their first album was not "brutal" death metal, I'd say, but just death metal. Their second one was definitely BDM. Haven't really listened to their newer albums, so can't really say.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:31 am 

The "brutal" tag was never my favorite. Nile is listed as Brutal/Technical Death Metal so I don't know. I guess Nile have lots of moments (like 40 seconds in Winds of Horus) where you hear blast beats with some speedy guitar work that perhaps sounds more deliberately technical than most Cannibal stuff. Still, and of course this is subjective, I don't perceive them being much more technical or brutal than CC.

I am left wondering if having a drummer like George Kollias in CC instead of Paul would push them over the edge into either category. Not that I would wish that myself.

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:43 pm 

Nah, it's just death metal. Sure, CC are a heavy band and stuff but they have little (if any) elements that truly define brutal death. And if they do have the elements they're not pushed far enough to make their music brutal death anyway. Death metal is a fine genre for CC.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:47 pm 

Brutal Death Metal (the old way)

Fuck nowdays brutal death metal.

"You make it easy."

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:45 pm 

I wouldn't go so far as to label them brutal death but they definitely were right at the edge at times, such as Butchered with Birth. Pyrexia, Suffocation, and Internal Bleeding are oldschool bands I would give the tag of 'brutal death' to though.

Abethedemon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:45 pm 

Maybe, because of the lyrical content.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:58 pm 

I referred to them as brutal death metal months ago and got skewered for it around here.

I understand why people disagree but the first brutal DM band IMHO was SUFFOCATION and their primary musical influence at the time I would guess was CANNIBAL CORPSE.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:06 pm 

I dunno. They've got BDM influences at times, for sure, but they've also always had a load of thrash in their sound which seems to usually be disregarded. They also juggle around a lot of various styles of OSDM all at once, rather than adhering to a regional scene. Average all of that out and they're best described as plain ol' death metal.

Vampire From Nazareth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:11 pm 

They are playing shit overall

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:36 pm 

Turner wrote:
cause there was no distinction between death metal and "brutal" death metal in the early 90s, i guess. and they don't fit the "brutal" tag anyway. far too listenable. *zing*

^What he said.

I guess that with the term "Brutal death metal" being so specifically and rigidly defined nowadays, they would not qualify as such. Calling them "Death Metal" was always good enough for me.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.