Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:31 pm 

Per this report: Someone completely fucked up Goatwhore's latest release. The version I linked is the only complete version, all the others are missing lyrics to various songs and need to be deleted.

On that note, would it not be possible for Metal Knights to have the abilities to deleted unneeded child releases instead of having to get mods and admins to do it?

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:36 pm 

Ah crap, I deleted the good one. I'll message that user though.

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:48 pm 

Can I add an advance tape as an "other version" if it has alternate cover art and not just a plain text on blank background type of promo cover? The band is Catalepsy, the label is Restless if that matters.

dantes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:52 pm 

I just cannot find the "bin" icon in order to delete tracks on other versions. I was working on "Mors Orbis Terannum" of Peste Noire but now I cannot finish it.

dantes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:59 pm 

I have now edited the release, all the tracks that have lost their title should be trashed.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:02 pm 

korgull wrote:
Can I add an advance tape as an "other version" if it has alternate cover art and not just a plain text on blank background type of promo cover? The band is Catalepsy, the label is Restless if that matters.

Are you saying it is an 'other version' to an existing entry in their discography? Usually alternate cover art is enough to warrant a separate entry, in any regard. If it is a radio/zine promo or something, don't bother. Still not sure if that is going to change or not in the future.

dantes wrote:
I just cannot find the "bin" icon in order to delete tracks on other versions. I was working on "Mors Orbis Terannum" of Peste Noire but now I cannot finish it.

Spoiler: show

dantes wrote:
I have now edited the release, all the tracks that have lost their title should be trashed.

Flag a report.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:34 pm 

Might be a case like the one you had to fix for me where for whatever reason it just won't let people, even with access, delete things.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:53 pm 

dantes wrote:

Check it out now - look right?

Manalishi69
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:52 pm 

Today I failed twice when I wanted to add the double vinyl edition of the ACCEPT Compilation "Metal Masters" on Brain Records, a sublabel of the Metronome Musik GmbH.

As I managed to add a double vinyl edition of SLAYER's "Show No Mercy" I wonder if I am supposed to be a regular user in the ACCEPT case. Or is there any bug still present ?

Generally I'd like to point out that I only update or add versions I have a physical copy of, triple checking it with discogs, musik-sammler.de and my physical copies.

This ACCEPT Compilation really is something special, the already existing double vinyl version on Razor Records contains the two albums "I'm a Rebel" and "Breaker in their entirety, the Brain Records version contains the two albums "Accept" and "I'm a Rebel".

Last but not least I'll include a report in this posting.
I'm not owning any of the Razor Records versions, but the vinyl version with 15 tracks all on side A seems to be the CD version, all Razor Records vinyl formats are most likely to be double vinyls.

Your answers and support will be appreciated.

dantes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:25 pm 

Well, there were no bin symbols whatsoever for me, And I'm on Firefox. I even tried IExplorer out of desperation but there was still nothing.

Thanks for the edit though, it looks great.

~Guest 152635
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:35 pm 

Could there be some indicator when a tape has the same songs on each side?

For example:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Xo ... fer/430133

There is no way of telling if it's a different untitled track or the same one without trying to edit the release, which people without accounts and people without high enough rank (I think?) won't be able to see. Unless I'm missing something...

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:27 am 

Seems like a marginal phenomenon. The additional notes should be the best solution.

theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:54 am 

dantes wrote:
Well, there were no bin symbols whatsoever for me, And I'm on Firefox. I even tried IExplorer out of desperation but there was still nothing.

Thanks for the edit though, it looks great.

I'm on Firefox as well, so it's not the browser. Maybe it is some sort of permission thing/glitch.

gravlagtieljudne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:31 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
magnus_alejo wrote:
I added various versions of the "Brasil / Brazil" album by Ratos de Porão but they appear separated on the complete discography tab, as they were released separated under the names "Brasil" (Portuguese) and "Brazil" (English) in different years. The Discography tab appears to be messed up with various entries for the same album...
How can this be fixed?

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ra ... azil/34676

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Rat ... iscography

Yeah, it automatically creates a separate listing when the album title is different from the original. In hindsight, that's probably not such a good idea... It makes sense in some cases but definitely not all of them, so I might change that. In any case, I fixed the one you pointed out. Submit a report about it if it happens again.

HellBlazer, exactly the same happened to me just now: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Moondark/85849. Could you fix this as well? Thanks in advance.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:31 pm 

gravlagtieljudne wrote:
HellBlazer, exactly the same happened to me just now: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Moondark/85849. Could you fix this as well? Thanks in advance.

Fixed, but you can just flag reports for these instances in the future. We expect them.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

gravlagtieljudne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:57 am 

Diamhea wrote:
gravlagtieljudne wrote:

Fixed, but you can just flag reports for these instances in the future. We expect them.

Thanks for fixing it, Diamhea, and OK, I'll keep that in mind!

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:27 am 

Diamhea, are you so sure you should be taking info in the additional notes like "Limited to x hand-numbered copies" and deleting it, then replacing it with "Limited edition" in the version description? That eliminates the bit of information that specifies that the copies are numbered by the artist (that's why I keep those short blurbs around anyways, because there's no other place for that information to go).

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:29 am 

Well, "hand-numbered" should be kept in the add. notes, but I don't think it really has a place in the version description, unless there's multiple, nearly identical un-numbered versions to be distinguished from.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:05 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Diamhea, are you so sure you should be taking info in the additional notes like "Limited to x hand-numbered copies" and deleting it, then replacing it with "Limited edition" in the version description? That eliminates the bit of information that specifies that the copies are numbered by the artist (that's why I keep those short blurbs around anyways, because there's no other place for that information to go).

Go ahead and re-add it, that's okay. Add 'Limited edition' in these instances though, as that is an important descriptor and when I open up the other versions tab, I want the most pertinent information laid out in a coherent and legible way. Not a cluttered mess, which is why we need to hammer out some official guidelines regarding the description field and what goes where/when. The presence of, as Azmodes said, multiple near-identical versions can change the way one should handle this.

I just went through all of Depressive Illusions Records' catalogue and fixed all of the errors too.

Last.fm

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:09 pm 

We really need to write up some more concrete guidelines for the field, I'm aware. But to codify something, there first needs to be internal discussion and consensus. And these matters are prone to a certain sluggishness. Still, we will try to come up with more definite and exhaustive guidelines ASAP.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:29 am 

On the page for Drowning the Light's Diabolical Winter Spells it says that there exists a CD of Diabolical Winter Spells that includes the tracks from the Serpent Spells demo as bonus tracks. I own this release and I am wondering whether I should include it as another version of Diabolical Winter Spells, or if I should add it as a separate compilation release because it includes two full demos. The title is still Diabolical Winter Spells, but the back makes it look like it's a compilation given that it says (couldn't be arsed to write out the track names, but you get the picture):

Winter Spells:
1. Raptured....
2. blah
3..blah
4...meh
Serpent Spells:

Thoughts?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:49 am 

Well, since it considers the demo tracks bonus material, I would say add it as another version of Diabolical Winter Spells.

Last.fm

AddWittyUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:25 am 

Added my first "other version". Digital version of Falls of Rauros - The Light That Dwells in Rotten Wood. Would appreciate it if someone could check it over to see if I did everything as I should. Here's the link.

(I also missed filling in one of the fields first time around and had to go back to add the info. Did not intend to point-whore, but if any of the mods decide I should not have gotten any points for it, I fully understand. If so, please feel free to remove 'm.)

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:22 am 

No reason to put "digital release" in the version description. That's already in the format.

Don't worry about point-whoring. We won't hound you because you forgot something and updated again. Only massively repetitive, point-maximising behaviour will effect a notice/warning.

AddWittyUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:48 pm 

Alright. Yes, it looks a bit redundant to me as well, though keeping the field blank looks even worse in my opinion. Should I keep it blank next time, or should I fill in for example the site (bandcamp etc.) through which it's released?

Okay, that's good to know.

Torquia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:42 am 

Is it correct to add to description "Japan OBI" or should I mention it in the additional notes if this release has OBI?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:21 am 

Torquia wrote:
Is it correct to add to description "Japan OBI" or should I mention it in the additional notes if this release has OBI?

One could argue that in most cases the presence of the strip is assumed for Japanese variants, and many people upload the image of the pressing complete with the OBI strip in many instances, but if you can't find a picture of that specific version, go ahead and put it in the additional notes. "Japan" can go in the description field, though.

Last.fm

Andre Gaius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:23 pm 

The label releases an album and the first 200 copies comes with slipcase. Two versions should be added or just a note on the slipcase?

* For Diamhea * - You removed "handnumbered" of version desc. and placed "Limited edition". Since the limitation appears there, it seems redundant. Would be more appropriate to describe something about this limitation (eg handnumbered) than ratify that is limited.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:31 pm 

Andre Gaius wrote:
The label releases an album and the first 200 copies comes with slipcase. Two versions should be added or just a note on the slipcase?

The latter.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:57 pm 

Andre Gaius wrote:

* For Diamhea * - You removed "handnumbered" of version desc. and placed "Limited edition". Since the limitation appears there, it seems redundant. Would be more appropriate to describe something about this limitation (eg handnumbered) than ratify that is limited.

The limitation doesn't appear when there is more than one version (as viewed from the other versions tab) so limited edition has more merit on the whole. For consistency's sake, let's just keep it that way even for single versions. If it is hand-numbered, just move it to the additional notes (at least I have been). We are really trying to keep the description field reserved for the most important of attributes, and the fact that something is hand-numbered just doesn't seem that important to me.

Last.fm

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:48 pm 

With all due respect, I really don't like the idea of "limited edition" being used in the version description by default. For underground black metal tape/vinyl labels, for example, an album being "limited edition" is somewhat of a given, so when I read the phrase it usually makes me expect there to be a more standard, non-limited version (but of course that doesn't exist in most cases). If it must be used, I'd prefer it only be there in cases where the label or band uses it to describe a separate version of an album which exists aside from a standard, more basic pressing; otherwise, it's more confusing than informative.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:07 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
With all due respect, I really don't like the idea of "limited edition" being used in the version description by default. For underground black metal tape/vinyl labels, for example, an album being "limited edition" is somewhat of a given, so when I read the phrase it usually makes me expect there to be a more standard, non-limited version (but of course that doesn't exist in most cases). If it must be used, I'd prefer it only be there in cases where the label or band uses it to describe a separate version of an album which exists aside from a standard, more basic pressing; otherwise, it's more confusing than informative.

I don't see how it is confusing at all, maybe somewhat overzealous, sure. I don't agree with your example regarding the underground labels, but omitting it when there is a single edition featuring a verified pressing limitation in the separate field is fine, I guess. Six of one, half-dozen of another. We still really need to pound out a firm set of guidelines regarding the description field (which we are working on) - and we will take this into consideration.

The way I have always seen it (and still do) is that it will be easier to remove extraneous information as opposed to playing catch up and filling in a bunch of missing fields. Some redundancies are clear cut and obvious (like jewel case, etc.) but in this case (at least right now) I don't see much reason to change it.

Last.fm

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:44 pm 

How do we decide what is 'official' and what is not? Take Hank Williams III. The artist does not consider 2011's Hillbilly Joker or 2012's Long Gone Daddy to be legitimate releases, as they were records of material released by his former label, Curb Records, after his contract was terminated and without his input/consent. So, who's right? Are these 'official' by our standards? Would they be better marked 'disputed' or 'unofficial'?

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:20 pm 

It's a bit difficult to make general statements here, as the necessity of case-by-case analysis is always going to be a reality for these disputes, but let me attempt to frame such an assertion.

If it was originally released with the band's consent and regarded official at some point, it stays. In the case of retroactive disowning of material, I'd say the usual approach should be to keep the album, albeit with a note about all the particulars. These things can get whitewashy and we don't want to indulge artists rewriting their history as they see fit.

In your particular case, if what you say is true, those albums were originally released without the artist's permission. So it follows that there was never a point when they were regarded as being part of the official discography. It looks to me that they are bootlegs, by definition. Although I admittedly know little about all that contractual technicalities that can occur and went on in this example.

Also keep in mind that the 'disputed' and 'unofficial' categories can only be used for later release versions, i.e. child entries. A parent entry's authenticity should be beyond reproach (in theory, at least...).

Andre Gaius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:15 pm 

A major label releases an album manufactured in Germany. Later, releases the same album manufactured in US. Even if these releases are not restricted to these countries (eg the Irond releases are manufactured in Russia and for sales exclusively in Slavic countries, and also many Brazilian labels releases albums for the Brazilian market), we must put "Germany", "US" in the version description?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:47 am 

No. It's not about the place of manufacture, it's about the intended market.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:54 pm 

This seems to be confusing many people, as a number of users are interpreting the Discogs country tags as the "intended market" when it is actually in fact that place of origin (for the label). This is causing quite a number of these to continue popping up, and as a result is usually safe to just remo

Last.fm

Manalishi69
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:59 am 

When I started with my updates concerning the new versions feature my instinct told me that it was necessary to separate between European and US versions as well as Japanese ones.

Can you already post here clear defined markets ?

I'm rather sure there will be some releases, where it might be really difficult to figure out which market they have been intended to reach. But I certainly will do no guessings then and write "international" into a field. As long as there are no new guidelines published it's simply better to leave the field blank in a lot of cases.

As I just updated DEAD ORCHESTRA's page, I added the Steamhammer pressing of the first album, I'm just curious if there will be distinguished between a US market and a Canadian market.
By the way, the Colossal version could not be updated by me (just tried to remove the additional notes info to the recording info field and changing "For" to "for" as a capitalization edit, maybe there is a bug...

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:17 pm 

I have spoken to other moderators about this, and if you are referring to entering "US, Germany, etc." in the description field, I am pretty sure this isn't really necessary. One could argue that it can boil down to the only difference between two versions, but if everything else including the catalog # is the same, it is then overkill to add a version for every region. We have to draw the line somewhere. Please understand that Japanese pressings are the clear exception here, as there are usually consistent, sizable differences that make them unique and worth designating separately.

Last.fm

Andre Gaius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:31 pm 

2 full lengths on 1 cd is a compilation.
And 1 full length + 1 ep re-released on 1 cd/vinyl/tape?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next