Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Mutterficker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:34 pm 

I've been obsessed over reading lists of paranormal events (i.e. http://listverse.com/2010/01/14/10-more ... planation/ and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSdRilEvAv8). It's pretty engrossing.
You know of any strange or paranormal or plain unexplained happenings, especially obscure ones?

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:23 pm 

Skeptoid has done so many episodes that nowadays most of his topics are pretty obscure.
http://skeptoid.com/episode_guide.php

Exigence

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:17 pm 

Anytime I have to do a lot of clerical shit, I throw on some Coast to Coast AM stuff on YouTube. Their "Ghost to Ghost" episodes every Halloween are legend. The stories the callers tell are fucking INSANE. I think there's one on YT now where they have an Indian guy named "Thunder Strikes" explain every different type of demon and how to handle it.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:58 pm 

Erotetic wrote:
Skeptoid has done so many episodes that nowadays most of his topics are pretty obscure.
http://skeptoid.com/episode_guide.php

This guy needs more recognition, seriously.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Cruciphage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:24 pm 

Is this thread just for supernatural stuff?

Because one of my favorite "unexplained" things is the Voynich Manuscript.

There is much contention that it's a hoax, but many are still working on trying to decipher the unknown script that it's written in. If it is a hoax, you'd have to wonder what the perpetrator hoped to gain from it (other than potentially a lot of money and a serious lol boner).

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:35 pm 

Wasn't there a big breakthrough in the Voynich manuscript recently?

Cruciphage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:45 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:

You are correct!

Someone has allegedly deciphered 14 characters and 10 possible words in the manuscript. This is really awesome, because if it proves to be legit then it's the first step toward understanding and translating the whole thing.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:08 am 

when traveling long, long drives.. i will be sometimes able to come acrossba station on the A.M channels which suddenly features Joshua P. Warren's voice.. and i stick there.. he can be..'mainstream, if you will, but some people (new, especially) always pop up.. never get to catch the names, due to getting a little lost in all of the subject matter..
there has been a few things, in life.. that i feel to have experienced pretty unexplained shit..
wandered the English countryside one late, two a.m morning, and saw some strange, dim.. glows in the olden oaks upon the hills, a bit off into the distance. the glow kept fading in, and awat.. rather a small, really dim greenish hue, in between branches- but not too deep in. was alone, sober.. and a bit stirred. so i decided to check it out, and the closer i got, it would disappeae, and show up again.. when i reached to the spot i thought the culprit would be, it was just an old wall, the back part of a huge wall mounted to the bottom of an old bridge.. there really was no reasoning by that point. i remember it having an eerie chill being sent to my spine, like hairs on the back of my neck, standing.. i do not know, what that ever was.

Exigence

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:26 am 

I just watched a documentary on Netflix about the Giga Codex. A massive 3ft, 100lb book from 1210 A.D.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:42 pm 

Just stay awake for like 30 hours non-stop and you'll automatically see all kinds of strange shit. Seriously!

Last edited by Machine_Dead on Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:58 pm 

I read up on the Tamam Shud incident a while back and it seemed really boggling at the time, definitely one of those weird ass stories that made me think for a while.
That, and the eerie unearthing of Tamerlane's tomb and the outbreak of WWII within hours of it's exhumation always intrigued me. Kinda hoping they never find where Genghis Khan is buried..

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:37 pm 

Cruciphage wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

You are correct!

Someone has allegedly deciphered 14 characters and 10 possible words in the manuscript. This is really awesome, because if it proves to be legit then it's the first step toward understanding and translating the whole thing.

People have been claiming to have decoded bits and pieces of this thing ever since it was originally discovered. Usually, they run with their theory for a while before somebody pokes a hole in it by demonstrating that their hypothesis can't be extrapolated to other parts of the manuscript, that it produces words with phonemically illogical compositions. I read about this when the news first broke earlier this year, and seeing as no progress has been disclosed since then, well...
Spoiler: show
ImageImage

Cruciphage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:41 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
People have been claiming to have decoded bits and pieces of this thing ever since it was originally discovered. Usually, they run with their theory for a while before somebody pokes a hole in it by demonstrating that their hypothesis can't be extrapolated to other parts of the manuscript, that it produces words with phonemically illogical compositions. I read about this when the news first broke earlier this year, and seeing as no progress has been disclosed since then, well...

Yeah...there's that. Whenever I've looked at it, all the "letters" appear to me like very slightly modified versions of two or three basic characters. There doesn't seem to be enough diversity for it to be an actual language. I do hope that eventually some sense can be made of it, or at least to see a document brought forth which proves conclusively that it's a hoax. The idea of the manuscript itself is still fascinating to me.

Exigence wrote:
I just watched a documentary on Netflix about the Giga Codex. A massive 3ft, 100lb book from 1210 A.D.

Oh yeah, the Gigas Codex. Thank you, I was trying to remember what it was called. I've been curious about that documentary...how was it?

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:00 am 

..talk of Codex stuff, here is this..
http://dangerousminds.net/comments/code ... _the_world

pretty odd.. the, author? claims it was written.. by his cat, via telepathic thoughts..
wow. haha

Exigence

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:05 am 

Cruciphage wrote:
Exigence wrote:

Oh yeah, the Gigas Codex. Thank you, I was trying to remember what it was called. I've been curious about that documentary...how was it?

Kinda cheap but having never heard about the book, it was all new information. Though when they break it all down, it seems just like a REALLY big Bible with a couple other parts.

"The Devil's Bible" is the title.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:12 pm 

Hahaha my room mate, out of NOWHERE, asked me the other day if I had heard of "Codex Gigas" and my brain instantly wrinkled. I was like I KNOW that I have...what the fuck is that from? Why, it's from Candlemass' Nightfall of course! He said the documentary was kind of shit though, yeah.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:23 pm 

Yeah it was a fun, if kinda stupid, documentary.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:25 pm 

Mutterficker wrote:
I've been obsessed over reading lists of paranormal events (i.e. http://listverse.com/2010/01/14/10-more ... planation/ and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSdRilEvAv8). It's pretty engrossing.
You know of any strange or paranormal or plain unexplained happenings, especially obscure ones?

I've been interested in the Belmez Faces case since I was a kid, I've been meaning to make a post about it, as well as about other paranormal cases. Maybe I'll do it in a few days.

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:50 pm 

Well, i fought a site with some unexplained stuff, like SS Ourang Medan, Gef The Talking Mongoose, Shanti Deva and the St. Germain Count. If someone of you likes zombies, take a look at Felicia Felix-Mentor's history.
Some mysteries or conspiracy themes that i fought recently were about the Ramsey's Curse (everytime that the football player scores a goal, a celebrity dies. Whitney Houston, Paul Walker and Osama Bin Laden are some "victims"), a romanian woman that received a selfie of her dead grandma and an horrible game in Taiwan, made in hospitals (that game is like a lottery, where the "players" try to guess how long a patient with cancer will survive. It includes lots of money and also the family of the patient risks to play).

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:43 pm 

I am into "Unexplained Stuff" with the purpose of finding the explanation for the unexplained, so to speak. Although I acknowledge that there are still things that are supernatural and/or unexplainable. But still I always wish that SOME of these stories, particularly the more creepy/unpleasant ones, did have an ending that wrapped it up with a rational explanation.

And why does "unexplained stuff" always have to be creepy or horrible? That "Ourang Medan" story for instance, isn't that the ship that was supposably smuggling chemical weapons, and the canisters ended up leaking and killing the entire crew in a horrific way? However that ships crew died, it was fucked up, either way.

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:05 pm 

I don't know if you have heard about it or not, but the Dyatlov Pass incident is really interesting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:58 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
I am into "Unexplained Stuff" with the purpose of finding the explanation for the unexplained, so to speak. Although I acknowledge that there are still things that are supernatural and/or unexplainable. But still I always wish that SOME of these stories, particularly the more creepy/unpleasant ones, did have an ending that wrapped it up with a rational explanation.

And why does "unexplained stuff" always have to be creepy or horrible? That "Ourang Medan" story for instance, isn't that the ship that was supposably smuggling chemical weapons, and the canisters ended up leaking and killing the entire crew in a horrific way? However that ships crew died, it was fucked up, either way.

Skeptoid sounds what you are looking for, he even manages to shoot down the JFK assassination conspiracy, claiming it's based on anti-authority reasoning.

Skeptoid spoils interesting stories by seeking to bluntly debunk every story that comes his way even if it is unexplainable. I don't mind his critical approach but when there's little evidence to suggest his theory is entirely correct and he tries to sell it as fact, that I have a problem with.

Cruciphage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:41 pm 

Exigence wrote:
Kinda cheap but having never heard about the book, it was all new information. Though when they break it all down, it seems just like a REALLY big Bible with a couple other parts.

"The Devil's Bible" is the title.

Yeah, I did a quick search for info about it and came away disappointed. Its alleged origin is interesting (if generic), but mostly it really is just a big honkin' Bible.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:03 am 

I want to know what the connection between the K129 and the USS Scorpion is.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:22 am 

Great thread. I love stuff like this.

I came here to mention the Dyatlov Pass incident, but it appears one of you beat me to the punch.

Here's one that's really nuts: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smiley_face_murder_theory. There are plenty of interviews online with the two detectives, and they go in greater detail as to why they believe these deaths are connected, including geographical patterns, demographics, etc.

The Buzzer is another good. Basically this Russian shortwave radio station emits a constant buzz for twenty-four hours a day, hence the name. It's been running since the late 1970s, and very rarely something will occur: a voice, a song, a person counting down from ten to one...and then back to buzzing. It's exact purpose is unknown. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UVB-76

Obligatory Last FM Link

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:29 am 

I think this was posted in the last unexplained/spooky thread. While this is not especially spooky, it's afaik unexplained and kinda funny but also just plain 'ol strange that this particular youtube account has posted up many thousands of videos all containing a series of red and blue shapes and accompanying tones. All seemingly random. I can only assume it's a joke, but the perseverance is remarkable if that's the case. 42k subs is impressive!

Webdriver Torso

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:35 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
The Buzzer is another good. Basically this Russian shortwave radio station emits a constant buzz for twenty-four hours a day, hence the name. It's been running since the late 1970s, and very rarely something will occur: a voice, a song, a person counting down from ten to one...and then back to buzzing. It's exact purpose is unknown. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UVB-76

Anything involving numbers stations is going to be cool and all and have a mysterious vibe, but I don't think they meet the technical definition of "unexplained stuff." Broadcasting radio signals on a public frequency without a license is illegal pretty much everywhere, yet no numbers stations have ever been shut down when independent researchers discover the location of domestic stations and point them out to authorities. In fact, no Western government has ever acknowledged investigating a numbers station on its own soil even though they are by definition illegal even as they occasionally introduce foreign stations as evidence in espionage trials (for example, the Cuban Five/WASP network case).

That pretty much explains itself. If they were being used by private citizens as pranks or by organized crime for shady dealings like arms and drug sales, the stations would be hunted down and turned off, their operators arrested. If they were being used for espionage, clandestine or otherwise covert activities, they would remain unacknowledged and continue to operate. Therefore, the logical conclusion is they are used for clandestine and covert activities.

While we are on the subject though, you might find this interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Conet_Project

marcomai
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:39 pm 

The Voynich Manuscript is really interesting. It's a manuscript written and illustrated in a script no one has been able to determine the origins of. Some people say it's a piece of art some an arcane text. Terence McKenna has a great talk about it available online.

If you read this article, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript it'll do a better job of summarising what it is than I will. If you like it, I'd recommend viewing full size scans of it online. It's beautiful and weird.

I bought the US government commissioned study into it by M.E. D'Imperio but it's a pretty poor xerox and hard to read.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:48 pm 

Some say it was even mentioned in the fifth post of this thread. ;)

Cheers to Erotetic for mentioning Skeptoid, I'd totally forgotten about that site.

Also:

Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:
I don't know if you have heard about it or not, but the Dyatlov Pass incident is really interesting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

This is a really good read. First I heard of it was on this forum a year or so ago and it's still quite creepy. The condition of the bodies, specifically.

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

Last edited by Foulchrist on Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
marcomai
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:52 pm 

Foulchrist wrote:
Some say it was even mentioned in the fifth post of this thread. ;)

:ugh: My bad. At least I mentioned the study and Terence McKenna.

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:07 pm 

marcomai wrote:
The Voynich Manuscript is really interesting. It's a manuscript written and illustrated in a script no one has been able to determine the origins of. Some people say it's a piece of art some an arcane text. Terence McKenna has a great talk about it available online.

If you read this article, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript it'll do a better job of summarising what it is than I will. If you like it, I'd recommend viewing full size scans of it online. It's beautiful and weird.

I bought the US government commissioned study into it by M.E. D'Imperio but it's a pretty poor xerox and hard to read.

The manuscript made me remember a video with 10 unexplained artifacts. Along with the manuscript, other thinks like the giant eggs of Chechnya (dinosaur eggs with 1 meter (the biggest dinosaur ever had put eggs with a size of a basket ball)), Piri Reis Map (a map made in 1513 with Antartida included. The continent was only found 300 years later), and a big rock with chinese letters incripted, written 270 milion years ago (in the rock, is written this: Communist Confederate of Chinese Extinction).
There is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-S2H4ayJiU

Cruciphage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:24 pm 

Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:

I think I first heard about this when I watched Devil's Pass, the found footage style horror film. For those interested, some aspects were pretty hokey but I thought it was overall a pretty cool fictional take on the story.

I do think it was just a really extraordinary combination of freak natural events. It happens. However, I'd be interested to learn the origins the alleged "deep brown tan" the victims had and the radioactivity of some the clothing. Those are the aspects that really jump out at me.

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:41 pm 

MDL666 wrote:
The manuscript made me remember a video with 10 unexplained artifacts. Along with the manuscript, other thinks like the giant eggs of Chechnya (dinosaur eggs with 1 meter (the biggest dinosaur ever had put eggs with a size of a basket ball)), Piri Reis Map (a map made in 1513 with Antartida included. The continent was only found 300 years later), and a big rock with chinese letters incripted, written 270 milion years ago (in the rock, is written this: Communist Confederate of Chinese Extinction).

The Piri Reis map is explained if you subscribe to Gareth Menzies version of history in his book 1421, which is an interesting read. Basically it explains that Chinese sailors circumnavigated the globe in the 1420s and mapped out the world fairly well way before anyone else. I haven't followed it up that much, but I know some people - maybe noted historians - think it's a load of rubbish. I think some of it may be rubbish, but it seems that the Chinese probably explored a lot more than we've given them credit for.

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:25 pm 

wrathchild_88 wrote:
MDL666 wrote:

The Piri Reis map is explained if you subscribe to Gareth Menzies version of history in his book 1421, which is an interesting read. Basically it explains that Chinese sailors circumnavigated the globe in the 1420s and mapped out the world fairly well way before anyone else. I haven't followed it up that much, but I know some people - maybe noted historians - think it's a load of rubbish. I think some of it may be rubbish, but it seems that the Chinese probably explored a lot more than we've given them credit for.

Wow, I didn't even knew that history. But, actually, makes sense.
Have you ever heard of Valentino's ring? An assassin object that kills everyone that uses it. Rudolph Valentino died because of it, supposedly. After he bought it, his friend saw a vision of Valentino's corpse. After he, his lover, Pola Negri, used the ring and became very sick. Ross Colombo, an actor hired to be Valentino in a biographic movie, used the ring and died by a shot accident. Later, Joe Casino bought it and died in one week, because of a car accident.
Since the 60's that aren't any whereabouts of the ring.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:15 pm 

Yes. I am into searching for rational or scientific explanations for all of that. And if there is none, a simple "I don't know" and you just enjoy the mystery of the universe.

If I see some luminescent human apparition, I don't see how we come to the conclusion "I don't know so therefore humans must be able to survive their own deaths and are still alive in the afterlife and appear as a form of light"

Why would that explanation be favored over some sci-fi explanation? "It must be some kind of quantum temporal echo of a human that once lived."

Or a religious one? "It is the devil playing tricks on humans"

Speculation can be all in good fun, but when people are certain their speculation can be the only answer is when I think we're getting into woo-woo territory.

Exigence

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:35 pm 

I've seen ghosts, heard voices, watch stuff move around - experiences shared by other people - in multiple homes I've lived in and other location. I still wouldn't say it was one thing or another. But the shit was real and terrifying. I don't chase this stuff but I'm always curious to hear other people's stories. I'm always extra wary when someone I know passes away, that seems to be when the occurrences spike. My girlfriend's stepfather passed away last year at her mom's condo and the few people that were present all said they heard faint classical music and children laughing in the bedroom.

If you look it up, it's actual a common phenomenon to hear classical music during a 'near death experience'.

http://www.near-death.com/experiences/research29.html

Aquarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:52 pm 

Cruciphage wrote:
Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:

I think I first heard about this when I watched Devil's Pass, the found footage style horror film. For those interested, some aspects were pretty hokey but I thought it was overall a pretty cool fictional take on the story.

I do think it was just a really extraordinary combination of freak natural events. It happens. However, I'd be interested to learn the origins the alleged "deep brown tan" the victims had and the radioactivity of some the clothing. Those are the aspects that really jump out at me.

Has anybody read Dead Mountain by Donnie Eichar? I did, and I like it, but...
Even though that book offers quite a plausible explanation for that tragic event, for me Dyatlov Pass Incident still remains shrouded in mystery. The aforesaid aspects really give a good reason for it.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:23 pm 

MDL666 wrote:
Chechnya

Did somebody mention Chechnya?
Seriously though, I remember hearing about those "dinosaur" eggs a while back and for the hell of it tried looking it up again and found nothing in the last two years on the subject. It's totally possible there could've been some giant dinosaur that inhabited parts of the mountainous areas of the Caucasus and just gone undiscovered for millions of years, especially since parts of it is such an isolated region, but there doesn't seem to much else going on as far as I can find on google.
I've never personally seen, heard, touched, smelled, or tasted anything supernatural. So by the default, I'm skeptical of ghosts and stuff of that nature. The closest thing to a ghost story I can remember is me and a few friends sneaking into a graveyard years ago and being followed around by a black cat, which at best was slightly unsettling. Nothing really hair-raising or eye-opening. Not that I'm denying there's weird shit out there, it just doesn't seem to be attracted to me, and I'm fine with that.

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:28 am 

Another thing that is completely unexplained is the Black Knight Satellite. It might just be a piece of space debris, or something else entirely. Some pics from the NASA website:
http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/sseop/images/IS ... 4-66_3.JPG
http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/sseop/images/IS ... 4-65_3.JPG
http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/sseop/images/IS ... 4-68_3.JPG
http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/sseop/images/IS ... 4-70_3.JPG

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:17 am 

Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:
Another thing that is completely unexplained is the Black Knight Satellite. It might just be a piece of space debris, or something else entirely. Some pics from the NASA website:
http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/sseop/images/IS ... 4-66_3.JPG
http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/sseop/images/IS ... 4-65_3.JPG
http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/sseop/images/IS ... 4-68_3.JPG
http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/sseop/images/IS ... 4-70_3.JPG

Listen to the skeptoid episode on this... http://skeptoid.com/audio/skeptoid-4365.mp3

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next