Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:44 am 

Alice Cooper - "Dada" (the most underrated of Alice Cooper's album), "Constrictor", "Raise your fist and yell", "Prince of darkness" (the best tracks of the two previous with some very good live versions of older classics) & "The life and crimes of Alice Cooper" (one of the best collections with good variety of hits b-sides and rarities covering effectively the whole of Alice Cooper's career up to that time)

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:49 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Couldn't get through 30 seconds of it.

Yeah, that's not how forming an opinion on music works.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:57 pm 

Spoiler: show

Das it. :nods:
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:01 pm 

There are a lot of albums that would get a 100% from me....

Blue Oyster Cult's first three and first live album:
Just incredible proto metal and hard rock. These guys are legends in the industry and can still crank out quality material. But their first three are just incredible works of heavy rock and the live album shows them in their element.

Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush - Live
This blues rocker from Canada just slays with his guitar work. One of the guitar gods from the 70s that steered me towards metal.

Most Frank Zappa
There are just too many to name but Zappa always released quality albums and his guitar shredding was indescribable. Joes Garage, Roxy and Elsewhere, Apostrophe, Overnight Sensation, Live in New York, Zoot Allures, 200 Motels...the list could go on and on.

Genesis - Foxtrot
Just a massive ball of talent, this album is one of my favorite performances by Peter Gabriel.

The Who - Who's Next and Quadrophenia
I fucking love The Who. These two albums show that band at their absolute best.

Triumph - Allied Forces
To me, they should be on MA. Their arena rock sound and almost metal riffing and guitar playing makes this one of my all time favorite bands. This album was one of those albums that was in heavy rotation in high school.

Kiss - Alive
Nothing need to be said here. One of the greatest rock albums ever made.

The first five Kansas albums
These guys just ooze talent. Some of my favorite 7os proto metal.

That's all I can think of now. I know I have more in my collection, just can't think of them at the time.

Like your reviews?

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:21 pm 

Ska....:puke:

Death in June - But What Ends When the Symbols Shatter?

While I think that most of Di6's early career is amazing (The Guilty Have no Pride to Kapo! are all really great in their own way), this album stands out head and shoulders among the rest and a wee notch over The World that Summer and Rose Clouds of Holocaust. The songs are mournful and earnest, simple and short, with slight accents of gothic elements that perfectly capture the nausea and apathy of a crumbling empire. Douglas P's lyrics are at an all time high, with meandering philosophical musings, cynical historical analysis, and that trademark pitch-black humor all coupled with his crooning chambered delivery. Sadly this would become the formula that would lead Di6 to the self-parody it became in later years, but at this moment, all of the elements are there, and all of the elements are perfect. It really does feel like the end of an era, where the symbols and meanings we found throughout history are no more, replaced by an empty, lonely sense of purpose in the modern world. A sense of purpose stripped of philosophy and drive; the end of history, really. But, the apocalypse doesn't come in the form of rushing rivers of blood and a violent climax. Instead, it comes like winter, gradually, slowly - until all we're left with is a barren field. Instead of a rebellion, we just slowly accept the fate, because we're cozy inside our cabins. Bored, weakened - but alive.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:28 am 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Ska....:puke:

Death in June - But What Ends When the Symbols Shatter?

While I think that most of Di6's early career is amazing (The Guilty Have no Pride to Kapo! are all really great in their own way), this album stands out head and shoulders among the rest and a wee notch over The World that Summer and Rose Clouds of Holocaust. The songs are mournful and earnest, simple and short, with slight accents of gothic elements that perfectly capture the nausea and apathy of a crumbling empire. Douglas P's lyrics are at an all time high, with meandering philosophical musings, cynical historical analysis, and that trademark pitch-black humor all coupled with his crooning chambered delivery. Sadly this would become the formula that would lead Di6 to the self-parody it became in later years, but at this moment, all of the elements are there, and all of the elements are perfect. It really does feel like the end of an era, where the symbols and meanings we found throughout history are no more, replaced by an empty, lonely sense of purpose in the modern world. A sense of purpose stripped of philosophy and drive; the end of history, really. But, the apocalypse doesn't come in the form of rushing rivers of blood and a violent climax. Instead, it comes like winter, gradually, slowly - until all we're left with is a barren field. Instead of a rebellion, we just slowly accept the fate, because we're cozy inside our cabins. Bored, weakened - but alive.

I would agree except for the presence of "This is not paradise". That song always annoyed me for some reason.

Interesting fact re that album - it's almost all "covers" (after a fashion" of Jim Jones' "People's temple choir". Compare tracklist:

http://www.discogs.com/Peoples-Temple-C ... ase/778438

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:59 am 

Whoa...I had no idea. That's even on the wiki page for it! How wild. I'm gonna check that out...

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:54 am 

Alice Cooper - Brutally Live. Great performance with the best possible playlist (good measure of older and more recent tracks with some unusual choices added). Cooper's voice sounds remarkably good and the band performs the songs faithfully without (unnecessary) added soloing or guitar gimmicks.

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:30 am 

For me, Suicide Silence's The Cleansing and Sepultura's Against both rate really, really high in my non-metal best-of. Both aren't quite 100%, but are edging pretty close.

bluwarguy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:25 am 

Element Eighty's self titled. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDpNyHTK9K4

heavymetalbanger1989
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:40 pm 

A-ha - Hunting High and Low. Anyone else a fan?

One of my favorite songs from it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUp4CBSlnBE

DamnedtoOlympus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:36 pm 

Emerson, Lake and Palmer- Debut
Yes- Close to the Edge and Relayer
Genesis- Nursery Cryme and Selling England by the Pound
Frank Zappa- Hot Rats
King Crimson- In the Court of the Crimson King and Lizard
Jethro Tull- Thick as a Brick
Miles Davis- Bitches Brew and Sketches of Spain
Weather Report- Night Passage
Return to Forever- Romantic Warrior
That's just to name some.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:41 am 

^ I'm intrigued by a couple of your selections. What makes ELP and Lizard amongst your favorites by each band? I enjoy the former a fair amount, but only Take a Pebble and Knife Edge feel like real classics, and I'd still put neither next to epics like Tarkus or Karn Evil 9. Lizard isn't a bad album, but I can't think of an instance where I wanted KC and didn't go for either the debut or Red.

Colmillos
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:01 am 

Led Zeppelin II - This is my favorite Zep record and it's one of the few I can listen to from beginning to end without skipping. Not sure what it is but there isn't one bad song on this one. I could probably throw their first six in the list and say thats my list.

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:25 am 

Alio Die & Sylvi Alli - Amidst The Circling Spires
One of the most beautiful ambient albums. Meditative and soothing, with hints of melancholy. The vocals of Sylvi Alli add another layer to Alio Die's abstract soundscapes.

Last edited by Tod_Im_Juni on Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andre Gaius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:53 pm 

heavymetalbanger1989 wrote:
A-ha - Hunting High and Low. Anyone else a fan?

One of my favorite songs from it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUp4CBSlnBE

Here.

But I think the Scoundrel Days album the best of them.

@topic: Mark Free - Long Way from Love (The best AOR album EVER! No filler!)
Mötley Crüe - same 1994 (My fave vocal performance, unrecognized classic songs...)

Bruce500
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:27 pm 

La Dispute - Wildlife

These guys get a lot of hate for their squeaky vocals, but their stuff is solid. The lyrics fit in perfectly with the music, and it's pretty dynamic. I'd really like to see a hybrid of post-hardcore and melodic death metal someday.

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:45 am 

Allicorn - "In Remote Places" & "At The Mountains Of Madness"
Creepy dark ambient, with lovecraftian influences.

Almofar - The Dark Woods... (Melencolia...)
Epic ambient.

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:45 am 

Lorde - Pure Heroine; I love every single track on this album. I've listened to it dozens of times in the past few months and it just "clicks" for me. I really look forward to what she releases in the future, although I'm sure it will eventually toe the line of other mainstream pop music unfortunately.

The Smiths - Complete; One of my all-time favorite bands. I love this collection because it contains all four main releases as well as other bonus tracks, a live album, and b-sides albums. It really is the definitive collection of the Smiths.

EDIT: One more that technically isn't metal, but I subconsciously lump in with the metal genre:
Code Orange - I AM KING. This album is fucking mind-blowing. Every track is super heavy and it is all-around an excellent album. Easily one of my top picks for album of the year for 2014, it really is worth checking out.

Last edited by ghost223 on Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:25 pm 

Popol Vuh's Nosferatu score, the Herzog version. Every track on the copy I have is stellar - so relaxing, well-performed. The compositions are beautiful - acoustic guitars, sitars, soft string passages and piano the whole way through, with occasional theremin thrown in to keep the spooky atmosphere in tact. I play this album before meditation, when I want to relax, when I'm seducing ladies or when I just want some good instrumental music to burn some Earth with. I don't know much Poppl Vuh outside this release but it really is perfect to my ears. So evocative, it takes you right into the Carpathian forest we see Harker passing through in the film.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:47 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
gregor104 wrote:
Rise Against - Siren Song of the Counter Culture
Quite possibly has one of the best opening tracks of any album that just throws you right into an album. Its only weak point is the acoustic song "Swing Life Away" which is still a good song in it's own right.

I agree that "State of the Union" is one of their best songs, but most everything after that falls short to me. I much prefer The Sufferer and the Witness because it has a little bit of everything and it's all well done. "Bricks" is one of my favorites from the band.

The Sufferer And The Witness pulls at my heartstrings so hard. Those lyrics kick the shit out of my feels.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:27 am 

Here I go with some:

Hocico: Signos de Aberracion. These guys are very consistent in terms of quality but I like this one too much. The arrangements are really well done and the overall composition could just stand fine even without the electronic beats. They do really well the most aggressive stuff and the slower, more atmospheric tracks. Their instrumentals are excellent.

Morrissey - Maladjusted. This one is an odd one to give such score but it's a really well done album. There's a bit of everything he did plus some new elements thrown in the mix. Not every track is flawless but every song works well with the other.

Morrissey - You Are the Quarry. It rocks so much. I really like some of the lyrics on this one. The second half of the album is stronger IMO but every track is an standout to me. The vocals remain unique and smooth.

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:27 am 

Anklebiter - Raintree
One of the best idm/ambient albums of the last few years

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:02 am 

Another ambient one: Acnode, Cyber Electronic Panacea.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:12 pm 

ghost223 wrote:
Lorde - Pure Heroine; I love every single track on this album. I've listened to it dozens of times in the past few months and it just "clicks" for me. I really look forward to what she releases in the future, although I'm sure it will eventually toe the line of other mainstream pop music unfortunately.

I wouldn't quite give it a 100, but it's at least a 90 for me. I love this girl. I hope you're wrong about her possible future direction, but she's already said the next album won't be like this one. Makes me very curious.

aurechti
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:53 pm 

The Jesus Lizard - Liar and Goat
The Pixies - all four full-lengths

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:21 pm 

There are probably no non-metal albums I'd give a perfect score to, but I have enjoyed quite a few: (And I'm picking up a few good recs from this thread)

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea: The whole album just so sincere and honest. The whole thing just seems like it was the product of some sort of divine bolt of inspiration. To be honest though, the only song on it that really sticks with me is Oh Comely...

Simon Finn - Pass the Distance: Just absolutely harrowing folk music. I mean, the instrumentation is very simplistic but manages to be quite interesting, and the lyrics are overall just fantastic.

King Krule - 6 Feet Beneath the Moon: This album is very quiet and understated, but I still really like it. There are a few absolutely terrible songs, but when it's good, it's absolutely amazing.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:12 am 

The Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East - the perfect live, album end of story
AC/DC - Back In Black - easily the most consistent thing they've done
Eagles - One of These Nights - just brilliant. Trumps Hotel California too.
Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP - I don't like much rap but this one nailed it in so many ways. Although the Ken Kaniff skit always makes me run for the skip button so lets say it's a 9.5/10 :P
Bob Marley and the Wailers - Exodus - Do I even need to comment?
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-nerd - Southern rock's finest.
Pink Floyd - Animals - Prog punk? Yep, it exists.
The Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace With God - FIDDLEY DEE POTATOES!
Dropkick Murphys - The Warrior's Code - Every song rocks, only DKM album I can say that for.
Disfear - Live the Storm - So brutal it always leaves me feeling physically exhausted.
Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti - Overblown? Yep. And all the better for it.

Last edited by chaossphere on Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
NoKnownName
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:18 am 

chaossphere wrote:
Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP

Eh, I personally would consider it more of a 90 or 95 than a 100, mainly because "Ken Kaniff" and some of the weaker lines from D12 members bring it down a bit. "Bitch Please II" also feels kinda out of place. Overall though the album kicks ass.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:26 am 

NoKnownName wrote:
Eh, I personally would consider it more of a 90 or 95 than a 100, mainly because "Ken Kaniff" and some of the weaker lines from D12 members bring it down a bit. "Bitch Please II" also feels kinda out of place. Overall though the album kicks ass.

Haha, just edited my post to make mention of "Ken Kaniff"... all the other KK skits are hilarious but I really don't need to hear all that cock-slurping. The KK skit at the end of Relapse is the best though.

Have to say I love "Bitch Please II", despite it being a rehash, if anything the weakest song for me is "Remember Me?", gets a bit annoying with the guest rapper during the first half.

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:08 am 

Antikatechon Chrisma Crucifixorum
Excellent dark ambient with a sense of melody.

Apoptose - Blutopfer
Strong (martial) drumming on a dark ambient background. Unique.

Architect - Mine
One of the best, most interesting and diverse idm albums.

Jewel Throne
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:09 pm 

Dead Can Dance - Within the Realm of a Dying Sun

Wizard1987
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:39 am 

I would give 100% to the following non-metal albums. Well, sometimes I need something soft after hours of death, thrash and black metal :-P

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are you experienced
Scorpions - Love at first sting
Dropkick Murphys - Blackout
System of a down - Toxicity
David Bowie - The rise and fall of Ziggy Stardust and the spiders from Mars
Cranberries - Bury the hatchet

E H
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:17 pm 

Tool's Aenema. one of my all time favorite albums ever

E H
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:22 pm 

Also Anything by Johnny Cash. doesnt matter which album

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:50 pm 

Aenima still amazes me for being so stuffed with silly filler yet I can never bring myself to skip any of it :lol:

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:31 am 

Blutengel - Child Of Glass
Very addictive and danceable synthpop

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:09 pm 

Xtort by KMFDM is probably the most anthemic album I've ever listened to.

MetalPeas
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:44 pm 

80s rock band Midnight Oil's wonderful album Blue Sky Mining. I love it, and it remains the best album of their catalogue and one of my favourite albums.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:47 pm 

Just discovered this GEM and I'm absolutely sure it's perfect.

edit: Why are we including spoilers now even though the youtube tag creates an automatic spoiler? Is that just in my browser?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 43  Next