Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:00 pm 

It depends how it is presented really, there are many reissues of full lengths that advertise earlier demo/EPs in their entirety as 'bonus' material. Thus, it remains a full length. Case by case AFAIK.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Andre Gaius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:21 pm 

Yeah, when comes as bonus clearly remains a full.

But... Double vinyl; a vinyl is a full lenght, the other one is a 4-track EP?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:08 am 

I'm not totally following you, but remember you can still change the release type when adding a new version without fuss. So there can be a compilation re-release of a full-length all under the same discography entry, for example.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:53 am 

Can you merge a parent release with a child release that is a split?

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ne ... t.../50052 was a demo from 1995
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ne ... .../187309 was a release of that demo with songs from two additional bands

Do those warrant a merge?

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:39 pm 

It is somewhat unclear, so in this case it is best to just leave it as is. The additional notes of the original demo point to it being a re-release, but anybody could have added that note and in turn interpreted it incorrectly. There is no way to 'merge' entries like this, so somebody would have to build the split from the ground up again as a child entry, and then we would have to move the review. In the end, it is alright as it stands. No need for the extra work in this instance.

Last.fm

WindsOvCreation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:51 am 

Is there any way to add multiple versions of a release to your collection?

Never mind, I figured it out.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:08 pm 

Newbie question, should collaboration albums appear on both bands' pages like split albums do? Case in point:

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ny ... hts/292210
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Mo ... hts/300408

Kind of curious about this one.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:10 pm 

Yep, currently no other way than to manually add them to all participating bands' pages.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:17 pm 

Ideally it would probably be best to have it work like splits, except the "&" would substitute the "/". Shouldn't be too much of a hassle programming-wise, and it would use an already existing system. What do you think of that option?

On a clearly unrelated note, when you add a new release must you always specify the format or it will give an error? Or does that happen only on splits? I was trying to add a split on a band on MA with a band not on MA and after filling out most of the info (not format though) I got an error saying that specifying the formats was necessary.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:54 am 

Courtesy of HellBlazer: Other versions lacking a release date can now be added.

Last.fm

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:20 am 

Likewise, the "authenticity" field has a new option: unknown. Like it suggests, this option should be used when the authenticity of a version is not (yet) known.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:47 am 

So there is a company out there that bootlegged tapes, and mocked them up to appear as legit releases from Music For Nations. The actual name of the company is not known, but it is known that these releases are not official. I'm curious how we should list them label-wise. Discogs lists them under "Music For Nations", but it links to a separate pages than the official label's releases (http://www.discogs.com/label/186321-Music-For-Nations-2). Should we adopt something similar, or should we leave them checked as "unsigned"?

BastardHead wrote:

Last edited by MetalCuresHeadaches on Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0th
Suicidal Angel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:32 am 

Diamhea wrote:

In label's page (e.g., http://www.metal-archives.com/labels/Ev ... tions/4116), the year "0000" should be listed as "-", "Unknown" or "n/a".
And in the advanced search, a checkbox can be added for searching releases with unknown years. Because when you search such an album by entering 0000 to 0000, there will be no results.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:32 pm 

The unknown release date feature does not work on parent albums, only child entries. Can I ask why? I know that's always been a rule for a release to be added, but if this feature is present, would it not be acceptable to use it for parent entries?

BastardHead wrote:

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:27 pm 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
So there is a company out there that bootlegged tapes, and mocked them up to appear as legit releases from Music For Nations. The actual name of the company is not known, but it is known that these releases are not official. I'm curious how we should list them label-wise. Discogs lists them under "Music For Nations", but it links to a separate pages than the official label's releases (http://www.discogs.com/label/186321-Music-For-Nations-2). Should we adopt something similar, or should we leave them checked as "unsigned"?

I had the same thing occur while going through the Bathory back catalog. There are tons of exact counterfeits of some releases, with the exact same information (like you describe). Factually the best thing to do is do exactly what Discogs did, but at first glance it can be very deceptive. I'll talk it over with the staff, but for the time being follow Discog's practice. I'll get back to you on this one.

EDIT: Talked it over, and the best solution might be to add "(fake)" at the end of the bootleg label. Here's an example:
http://www.metal-archives.com/labels/Bl ... e%29/36744
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ba ... ory/462814

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:10 pm 

BlackenedZeroth wrote:
Diamhea wrote:

In label's page (e.g., http://www.metal-archives.com/labels/Ev ... tions/4116), the year "0000" should be listed as "-", "Unknown" or "n/a".
And in the advanced search, a checkbox can be added for searching releases with unknown years. Because when you search such an album by entering 0000 to 0000, there will be no results.

Fixed the listing on label pages. Also, it should be possible to search for year 0 now, but the thing is that versions are omitted by default from the search results unless you search on a version-specific field, so... The best way to do it is probably searching for years 0 to 0 and also selecting all formats, so that you get listings for versions but won't miss any since you're not really filtering out any format. A bit convoluted but... probably only people who work on the site would want to search for unknown release dates anyway.

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
The unknown release date feature does not work on parent albums, only child entries. Can I ask why? I know that's always been a rule for a release to be added, but if this feature is present, would it not be acceptable to use it for parent entries?

Yeah, I'm not really comfortable with allowing it for parent releases. Some obscure version with an unknown date is one thing, but for an entry that is displayed in the band's discography? Nah, I still think at least the release year should be a bare minimum of information for those.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:41 pm 

Will there be an option to search for child entries with names that differ from the parent release? Currently, those child-titles turn up 0 results.

BastardHead wrote:

Manalishi69
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:53 pm 

Hi all, during my work on DIMMU BORGIR's page when I tried to add the boxset of the "Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia" album, which I own, I got completely fucked up and exhausted. I cannot tell you what exactly happened, but the result my eyes have to face is absolutely not acceptable, I'm curious what other people see. The modification tracking history and the displayed versions make no sense to me.

I added the bonus track including the lyrics, but it does not show up. One dead link with the error 404 message has been produced, nothing on purpose, everything accidentally without my knowledge or awareness during the editing process.
One thing that came into my mind:
I did not change the release type from full length to boxset.

I am posting here because the action that has to be taken is only executable by authorized personnel.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:59 pm 

Well, judging by the timestamps of the modification, I bet this was triggered by the server issues we've been having over the last couple of hours. It seems like when this happens, it credits the other version to another band, but it can't find the nonexistent entry data so it just says " As band "" ". Interestingly, clicking on the version in question in your edit history takes you to this band instead of the version: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/69

So this is clearly a bug. I nuked that version, you may now continue.

Last.fm

Manalishi69
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:22 pm 

Thanks fpr your quick reply. As I was suffering from a little headache the whole day and my internet connection is weird anyway I prefer to deal with that DIMMU BORGIR album tomorrow after a few hours of sleep.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:33 am 

What do I do about a release on a label I can't find any links or info on? This is my problem, specifically. Should/could I just label it as independent? Or do I go ahead and add the label (even if it's defunct, or status unknown) anyway?

My collection

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:41 am 

Just add the label, as we know for a fact it wasn't an independent release. Just mark status as 'unknown' and we can always merge/update labels if necessary later on.

Last.fm

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:49 am 

Okay, cool thanks.

My collection

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:04 am 

We don't require much for label pages, less so than for other types of entries, think of them more as implications of album pages (not quite, but close, yeah) that can be quite barren themselves (except, well the name and at least one connection to a release or a band). You don't even need a country of origin, just set the status to unknown and you're good to go. The info can always be filled in later, if/when more things come to light. Also, for mods there's a checkbox "verified as legitimate?", which is unchecked by default and can be checked later on. So don't sweat it, as long as it's listed on the release somewhere and not an obviously made-up label, add it.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:16 am 

In relation to something like this and this, should they really be separate entries? The only difference between the two is pressings limitation and colour variation. Even the cat# and release dates are exactly the same. Shouldn't the splatter version be in the additional notes instead?

My collection

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:01 am 

I can't fix it right now, but yup. The specific vinyl limitations and types should also be described in the notes (with the total sum in the lim. field).

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:28 pm 

again, sorries if this has been asked before... let's say two bands release a split on vinyl. there's no digital version with both bands' contributions, but one band releases theirs on bandcamp. do I mention it on the split's add notes, or add it as a separate single/ep? also, what if both bands release their contributions digitally, but separately? thanks :)

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:48 pm 

Well if you go to add a child version of a split release that for some reason isn't a split, it allows you to pick a single band's name for that release. So this is feasible from implementation standpoint. The question is whether or not it warrants a separate entry. I suppose it depends on how it is advertised/presented and if the material is unique to the split or older songs (which often is the case concerning splits). Remember that you can always check the separate listing box so it still shows up as a separate entry in the discography, yet remains a child entry of the split in question. An interesting question, but one I am failing to find a definitive answer for, sadly.

Last.fm

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:11 pm 

thanks for your reply :) the first question is based on a release I came across...
the split: http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Bl ... ben/388837
the "single": http://anotherstarlessnight.bandcamp.co ... ees-graben (I didn't edit it in)
the second question is hypothetical, yet fairly possible, if not already existing but undiscovered (by me).

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:32 pm 

Altogether separate entry for this one.

Last.fm

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:52 am 

thanks again :) did.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:05 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Wh ... its/402194

https://www.facebook.com/10800467255417 ... 06/?type=1

So the first link is a 7" split between Rabbits and Whores. This week, Whores. released their song from the split as a stand alone single on iTunes, as seen in that announcement in the second link. Does that single go as a child entry of the split, or does it get a separate release?

BastardHead wrote:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:07 pm 

Separate release.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:08 pm 

Ironically this is nearly a carbon copy of aloof's last inquiry. Separate entry.

Last.fm

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:33 pm 

wanna start a club, MetalCuresHeadaches? :D

another thing that has probably been asked before: do longboxes constitute a separate release? I came across this one, for.ex:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/1498//469869

longboxes simply housed the standard jewel case, because (for whatever reason) some US stores thought they'd display CDs like that. other stores still binned the carton longbox and displayed the jewel case.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:22 am 

Yes, valid separate packaging.

Last.fm

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:26 pm 

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:10 am 

Having some trouble with adding a second vinyl disc to a release, then it leaves me with a "blank" track which I can't remove, giving me one extra track which there shouldn't be. How do you remove/delete this?

My collection

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:22 am 

Flag a report. Not too unusual.

Last.fm

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:24 am 

Thanks man. Will do.

My collection

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next