Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:12 am 

Pessimist - 'Zavist'.

Farty bass/goofy keyboards as a intro then some really flat sounding drums (no big budget, I guess) and what sounds like talk box on the lead guitars (Bon Jovi inspired, perhaps?). This is really odd and totally lacking in power; not outright awful, but definitely silly. The whole tempo is weirdly laid-back, almost dreamy, reminding me of late 1990s video game music meets wank like Cynic. I certainly couldn't call this death metal, since there's nothing that remotely resembles death metal, but progressive metal with weird croaked vocals might fit the bill. Goofy prog metal amateur hour, I guess the band's name is trying to recall the days of, say, Atheist and Cynic. When it comes to the Czech Republic, I'll take Master's Hammer over this. :D

Still classic metal, Mikey, so you might want to leave this for someone else.

Abethedemon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:45 pm 

Blaspheme - Orgie Romaine
Allright! Now here is some good, goofy NWOBHM inspired french metal. I haven't heard about this band until now, and I feel a bit left out. The vocals are clean without being sappy, the riffs are crunchy and progressive, and the song displays a fun and heavy atmosphere. I don't speak french, so the lyrics didn't have any impact on me, but they were sung in a very energetic way. I liked the falsetto towards the end. However, it didn't really leave me with a lasting impression.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdCwdfjMqHg

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:36 pm 

Agent Steel - Agents of Steel

Classic, absolute classic. One of the finest pure speed metal albums of all time. Everything here is just great. from Cyriis Piercing highs, great dueling solo's, blazing riffs and competent drumming. There's not really much more you can say about it. just a perfect song

10/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK-nvp_PQvk

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:47 pm 

Heavens Gate - Livin' in Hysteria

Kicking, classic 80s metal. It's pretty dated, but in an awesome way - the fuzzy tone and general 80s sound are there in full and glorious. The riffs are extremely high quality, fast and choppy with enough of the right kind of groove to work, and the vocals are charismatic and full of energy. A lot of new bands could learn from the bounce and verve these guys have. It's a simple song but it works and the chorus fucking kills - I'll check out more sometime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Osz5riHtu4k

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:05 am 

Empyreal wrote:

No idea what this was going to be, but I can tell you that it was a rather cool surprise. This is heavy, gloriously heavy. The guitar tone is superbly weighty, plenty of scuzz, bottom end and enough clarity to give the riffs life without strangling them in murk. Another interesting aspect is the vocals, which sound like a death metal vocalist trying singing for the first time - and pulling it off. Gruff and burly is how I would describe them, and backed up with what appear to be almost gang-shouts to give extra gravitas (not in a lame way either, they really work). It kind of reminds me of Grand Magus devolving into something... heavier than what they are now, if that makes any sense at all. The mid pace works well here too, it just seems right, nothing more be said, there are however moments of thundering, faster double bass drum work, which again add more weight. This is quite fucking cool I have to admit, and I might look further into these guys. Interesting.

Something I can't get out of my head...

My collection

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:33 am 

TRIPTYKON - Aurorae
Interesting piece of atmospheric music. Very reminiscent of a lighter, mellower Clouds-era Tiamat distilled with a good dose of shoegaze. The song takes quite a bit of time to develop with the same hypnotic riff repeated over and over, though each time a few barely-noticeable guitar flourishes are added layer upon layer. So by the time the goth rock vocals come in, which to be fair, is towards the end of the song, one realizes just how intricate the piece became. Really impressive piece of music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2ywvw8OEXU

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:20 am 

Batillus - ...And The World Is As Night To Them

OK... bit pissed. but let's do this.

OK... so it starts slow. Sounds like what people call "sludge" which honestly, I couldn't give a shit about, and consider pretty much shite metal. slow.... slow... slow riff cmon.... get to the good stuff.

ok some silence.. best part of the song.

Maybe I'm just too drunk to enjoy this, but it's just boring and depressing. I'm sure in another state i might enjoy it.

OK 4:45 - that's a good riff. I'll give it another shot later, but it's not doing much for me 3.5/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szayfdJDDq4

Abethedemon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:00 pm 

Warlord - Thy Kingdom Come
I like Warlord, but I wasn't really feeling this song. It almost feels like a hymn and not an actual metal song. It's nice, and pleasant enough, but it feels way too christian for me. I guess it has to do with my mood. I'm usually not in the mood for slow and sleepy songs. The vocals are okay, but kind of in the background, and the whole song has a quiet relaxed atmosphere to it without any riffs. Maybe I'll listen to it again, but Warlord can be really hit or miss sometimes.
now for a classic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8WFl4Mo1yM

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:02 am 

Abethedemon wrote:

Haha fuckin' cool intro. Eighties as all fuck 'eavy metal, and yes, it rocks. Solid, no bullshit riff work and pretty awesome vocals too. Now I have actually never heard this album in it's full, as death and black metal are (clearly) my forte, but it doesn't mean I don't enjoy some solid, rollicking metal like this. The twin lead work rules towards the back half of the song, and you can clearly see where other, more famous bands got some influence. The chorus rules hard for all it's simplicity, with a clever harmonized vocal line which just makes it cooler - no other word for it. The main riff is the backbone here, just pounding along, in unison with the bass, and (relatively) simple drumming, but hell it works. Pretty sweet song.

In comparison, something almost brand new.

My collection

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:39 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
In comparison, something almost brand new.

Drowned - Black Projection

This has a nice oppressive atmosphere to it. The guitar tone sounds like a swarm of bees and you can drown in a few of the riffs. It's dynamic for death metal, going through a few tempo and mood changes. I liked the slowdown around the 4 minute mark with a bit of a doomed out riff, reminds me of something Autopsy might have done back in the day. I'm digging the vocals too, nice and menacing sounding where a lot of other death metal vocalists just come off corny and try-hard. The absolutely horrid cover art blows the whistle on this being a modern release. There is a lot worse out there, a LOT worse. Probably not a band I'll come back to but the ravenous death metal junkies might want to check this one out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efqmNsJYuWw

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:40 am 

Jonpo wrote:

Okay, I know something of this band; their debut was more Merciless inspired death/thrash and now they've taken a weirder turn. Apparently, this album is overlong and features a lot of psychedelic rock passages, but there's no sign of that here. The problem here is a lack of stand-out riffs; the intro and verses just don't stand out for me. They're briskly paced but not doing much. Occassionally they'll break into a thrashier riff, but again, there's something lacking. I takes the lead guitar to get something going at around 2 minutes, with some cool sprawling ideas. Now, we're getting somewhere! Somewhere between Voivod and black metal, now. Again, it's the lead guitar that stands out moreso than anything else. You can tell they're still a young band and maybe they'll benefit from more experience and focus in the future; this has its moments, but aside from great lead guitar and obviously the band wanting to bring something different to the table (enough with the caverncore, guys, enough) it's still lacking that extra "omph".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7aS6U-9DmI

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:47 am 

Spoiler: show
Don't be afraid to tell em what it is! Truthfully that's one of the weaker songs on the album but all the best songs are longer than I tend to post in this thread. I can't recommend the album highly enough. It is super long but it flies by.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:42 am 

Acrobat wrote:

Marduk - Materialized in Stone

Full discolure: First Marduk song I've ever heard. Uhhhhh...this is great! I'm ashamed I've gone out of my way to avoid this band. I guess their early stuff is something I need to take a look at. This sounds like Bathory. Particularly, this sounds like the songs from Under the Sign of the Black Mark that want to be Manowar in Hell. Awesome midpaced stomping grooves with a very flattering production. I love the vocals being pushed back and treated. That huge tumbling drum fill smack in the middle of the song is the type of shit that takes a good song and turns it to something more. Bonus points for killer Verwimp cover art. This is a winner. Thanks Acrobat. I guess I'm going to be checking out some Marduk. Weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcFyXuPehdA

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:30 pm 

Voivod - Evil (Mercyful Fate cover)

I got excited when I saw it was a cover of Evil, one of metal's all-time classic tunes. But boy do these guys butcher it. I was never a Voivod fan to begin with. But this is pretty awful. It sounds sloppy, but I'd have to listen again to verify that - a lot of live albums give that impression. They speed the tempo up slightly, making it a bit thrashy, and it does not work. It looses all the menace and anthemic qualities. And the vocals, what I can make out of them, are terrible. The half assed falsettos are goofy and the rest just sounds garbly and phoned in. The guitar solos pale severely in the shadows of Sherman and Denner. Maybe they were trying to turn this into a thrashy burner but instead it sounds like a hot mess. But again I have never heard any Voivod I've really liked.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KSe4c8TOvN4

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:03 am 

@Acrobat
Acrobat posting a Marduk track?! Is it opposite day?

My collection

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:50 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
@Acrobat
Acrobat posting a Marduk track?! Is it opposite day?

@Crushed and @Jonpo
When you see me posting some caverncore, you'll know there's something up. But I listen to plenty of black metal, early Marduk included. Here I generally prefer to post short, punchy heavy metal tracks; they're easy to get into on first listen and perhaps less dependent on their album context than extreme metal. Which is probably why I don't post many long tracks here. Also, I can always find a some heavy metal stuff that's a little underappreciated :) Blaspheme for example.

Jonpo, you can go ahead and check out at least the first three Marduk albums, then. Opus Nocturne is probably my favourite and it has the most appropriate production of the three. Dark Endless is an odd one because it's a straight-up mix of black metal and death metal (not strictly ala Entombed, though). Those of the Unlight is cool, too, probably their most epic. I recommend all three. And there's also Heaven Shall Burn When We are Gathered which is a touch more polished and a bit more inconsistent but the highlights still make it worth having.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:29 am 

I'm DEFINITELY going to be checking out Opus Nocturne. I figured I'd probably skip the debut as I'm not really interested in the death metal influence. Those of the Unlight has such a great cover, I'll probably have to give it a chance just on that alone. That song was awesome and I enjoyed listening to it multiple times.

That cover of Evil is fucking awesome, although I didn't expect a positive reaction. Who wants a cover to sound like the original? That makes no sense to me. They Voivod'ed the hell out of it! I was actually really impressed with Snake's vocals. Didn't expect him to even TRY any "falsettos".

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:27 pm 

Hah, VOivod has come up a few times in this thread and they always just seem to get such an uninspired, "meh" kind of reaction. One day that will change! One day the heretics will repent!
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:43 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Hah, VOivod has come up a few times in this thread and they always just seem to get such an uninspired, "meh" kind of reaction. One day that will change! One day the heretics will repent!

It's genuinely hard for me to wrap my head around someone just not liking the band at all. They went through so many different sounds and styles I just assume everyone can find SOMETHING from them to love. But I could see where these demo tracks that I go crazy over aren't for everyone...

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:39 pm 

i will admit I haven't heard much by Voivod, I don't own a single album of theirs simply because everything I have heard by them has left me disappointed. I just...don't find anything about their sound appealing. I'm not big on thrash though.

And to clarify, I did not want the cover to sound like the original. I don't like that either. But I also don't like when bands shit all over classics.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:54 pm 

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah wrote:

Kongh - Sole Creation

Ok, first things first. The album art is awesome. Secondly, I'm glad I picked this song, as I have recently been on a doom/sludge kick. Initially I was reminded a bit by YOB, mostly in the vocal department. As for the music though, the song featured a lot of really nice atmospheric touches that I don't hear too often in the genre. The vocals are definitely the best part of the song, with pretty good snarls reminiscent of black metal, and excellent clean vocals mixed in. The cleans are what mostly warranted the YOB comparison, but at moments I was reminded slightly of Layne Staley. The riffs weren't exactly the best I've heard (a bit standard if anything), but the vocals and the nice touches of atmosphere (around the 5:30 mark) are enough to make me want to check out more from Kongh. Good stuff. Thank you, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1e49KntOb0

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:18 pm 

Glad you dug it. I love the album art too. The whole album is massive and heavy as fuck. Love every track. The riffs don't vary much in that specific track but even so they sound so sinister and heavy I fuckin love it. You may want to check out an earlier EP of theirs, too, Counting heartbeats. It's a little more experimental, a little less Yobby.

Abethedemon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:00 pm 

Cult Of Fire - काली मां
This is quite interesting stuff. When I first opened the link I was thinking it was some sort of Vedic Metal, but what I got was some atmospheric black metal. It isn't really "heavy" per se, but it still works. Feels like it's music more for thinking than for head banging. The drums were way too high, but the riff was really catchy. It also felt like it was repetitive, but I didn't have that much of a problem because it blended into the background well. Not bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjhXxouTsI8

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:30 am 

Abethedemon wrote:

Yah, fuckin' Candlemass. This owns - the musty, doom laden vibe is all apparent, covered with the dust of ages, old without measure. The main lead motif is excellent, truly carrying the weight of this effortlessly, with purposely constructed, crushing chord work to back it all up. It's quite haunting too, given the slight reverb given to the vocal lines, which is further backed up in the guitars, especially the leads. That's not to say there's no speed here at all, because it does have it's moments of pace to help breathe life into it's story of erm.. the crystal ball. There is a certain magic to Candlemass that cannot be so easily summed in just their songs, musically speaking. They have a knack of making it sound so... real, so captivating, so epically haunting and grand, that it seems to transcend to another level. The construction and thought gone into the way they want the track to unfold is part of their arcane magic, and one that keeps you coming back for more. Damn good.

Have a go at this eh?

My collection

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:20 pm 

Craven Idol - Codex of Seven Dooms

Fuck yeah, dude. That album was definitely on my top 25 list for 2013. Great stuff all around. While presenting nothing all that new in itself, this is just a really fun and well put together melting pot of established styles. This is a great mix of black, thrash and death blended together seamlessly with a high sense of dynamics. Lots of good thrashiness rooted in some fortified-as-fuck black metal. It runs a good range without losing focus, that bendy, groove-laden riff that comes in a bit before two minutes is fantastic, the more melodic moments near the end of the song are excellent and the epic backup clean vocals really give it that little something extra. Overall, excellent instrumentation, superior riffcraft, awesome lead guitar and just all around old school metal badassery. Fantastic choice, good sir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLvC9X-qyj8

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:32 pm 

Redacted

Last edited by narsilianshard on Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:04 pm 

Come on man, I called placeholder and everything.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:35 pm 

So now what do we do? Tempted to review you track dystopia, as you had the placeholder.

My collection

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:25 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
Come on man, I called placeholder and everything.

Obviously I didn't see that. I'll just delete mine.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:32 pm 

Or you could have put it in a spoiler and reviewed his song? Just sayin' :-P

My collection

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:11 pm 

Obliveon - 'Nemesis'

Oh, weird intro. HUMANS WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL!-kinda vibe. Then some strange, proggy riffs. Stop starting in a strange, yet likeable manner. The vocals are a bit odd; maybe like some of the European death metal of the time (think Atrocity, for example). The drummer's good, too; interesting and yet not too crazy with the accents (as can often be a problem in this style). The song develops at a nice pace, it's easy to see why this band is acclaimed so. After the teasing of the stop-starty riffs in breaks into something more menacing at around the 2:40 mark... finally giving you a chance to headbang. My only complaint is the lack of a solo, which could have really taken the song to another level. This has whetted my appetite to hear more this band, which I should really do (if only their material was more readily available).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r07ZnWQYGsA

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:42 pm 

Kat - Devil's House, Part I

This is some absolute old school Stuff. Not surprised to see that it's from 1985. with a laid back yet rocking intro the song kicks off in high gear. Vocals that are somewhat slightly raspy and harsh. Not quite as venomous as a Quorthon's early shrieking, but remind me more of that Death SS dude. They wouldn't work for a cleaner metal style, but for this dirtier stuff I think they work absolutely fine. The whole vibe is somewhat energetic and these guys definitely seem to know on how to craft a tune without sounding very talented. A simple verse-chorus format is going and thorough the song nothing seems to come of forced or drags. Definitely fun raw heavy metal that reminds me of Venom and early Running Wild even.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncwQORbhjIU

Tron_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:05 pm 

Ripper - Raising The Corpse

Cool...immediately reminds me of early Kreator in terms of tempo and vocals and can't help but bang your head to something like this. riffs are pretty good but do get abit monotonous at times...abit more variety would help (although i know thats probably not the point of the song). There is the slight pause in tempo mid way through the song but feel they could have done more with that. Drummer seems OK and does his job albiet nothing groundbreaking in that area. overall, not bad but as this was made in 2014 Its a good throwback to those early death/thrash style but really adds nothing new to the mix imo...but with that said, I still enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5MC_EZunDs

my last.fm

Abethedemon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:16 pm 

Midwinter - Northern March
Some good stuff right here. I'm not the biggest fan of black metal, but that was pretty catchy. I really liked the riffs. The vocals were a little bit whiny for me, but they still worked. It felt like black metal, but with a more melodic aesthetic, and that stuff is my kind of jam.
Now for an epic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZDP-SLrcEM

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:09 pm 

Cirith Ungol- Chaos Rising
A chugging downbeat heavy metal riff makes me expect some proto-doom/traditional metal in the vein of early Trouble. However, it gives way to a dirge-y ballad melody. The vocals seem to aspire to something like Halford in Beyond the Realms of Death, and surprisingly, it doesn't sound all that bad though hardly the showpiece of the song. The throaty scream of the chorus does sound a lot better and it's clear that the more Manowar-ish hymns are this man's forte. We get a bit of a wind-up riff that takes us to the galloping heavy metal that--while not quite headbangable from a youtube link--would be fun as hell to witness live, particularly given how catchy the bassline under all that guitarwork is. It's a fun little piece of heavy metal overall; definitely worth a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eitNNvCiBc

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:43 pm 

Stomach Earth - Prolong the Death Watch

Churning death doom, kinda sounds like Formulas... era Morbid Angel played on 33. I appreciate things that sound like they're being played at the wrong speed and I certainly appreciate that the guitars are quite involved (especially with that Trey-style sweep at the end of the phrase, which really is a nice touch). The song's got a strange mechanical vibe to it, which is probably Godflesh inspired. However, unlike Godflesh, this is actually enjoyable. The keys add some interesting violin textures when the tempo slows down to a grinding pace. Quite a strange touch, I think, certainly unexpected. I definitely think we could do with more bands trying unusual things in death metal (especially if they actually pull it off well). Nice stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmUA5BidG1k

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:23 pm 

Good call on the Stomach Earth

Revelation - Morning Sun

Starts off promising enough with some nice melodies and I'm finding it fairly enjoyable; until the vocals come in, that is. Really inane and boring singer, halfway between boring prog and boring alternative rock. Riffs are middle of the road, and there's a vague greasy motorcycle bar in the desert going on. However, this is just really average and doesn't contribute anything interesting or out of the usual. Didn't hate it or anything, but don't see any reason why I should ever listen to it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg530raHyuo

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:25 pm 

Ghost Bath - Golden Number

For the majority of the first couple of minutes, your standard affair of what is to be expected from this genre. A bit boring but no doubt serving its purpose for people who like this kind of stuff. Sometimes the vocals stand out in a funny way, like he's going "waaaaah" rather than achieving the effect of somebody going insane, which I assume was the original intention. Just under two minutes in and I'm surprised at the absence of pop punk vocals to compliment that melody. Going for melancholic, but ending up sounding like some nostalgic soundtrack to a college party. Back to boring "post black metal" for a bit. The drums changing to half time furthers the college party theme, it sounds like an anthem for drunk teenagers to gather round and partake in a big, warm, intoxicated heartfelt singalong among friends. Then the piano kicks in and hammers the cheese right into one's face. Yuck.

Yeah, not something I'd want to listen to again.

My contribution is something I actually just discovered and fell in love with immediately, while searching for uploads of another band with the same name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duJmgDp13Nc

:headbang:

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:06 pm 

Basilisk- Black Storm.

First off don't expect the finest production (I think it's just a demo), but man what a cool-ass song! Very creepy, tense intro, then POW, some ugly but catchy death metal with some thrash and even sludgy vibes. Definitely something to maybe break out on Halloween night.

And mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AedF7hwMBuY

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:21 pm 

fhellbringer: "Sermon of Death"

it's a raging death/thrhash kind of sound with an emphasis on the thrashy side of things, pacing and vocal-wise, although the lead guitar is really busy doing tremolo melodies through the whole song in a way that calls to mind more modern bands. It's pretty good; those melodies actually make the whole song more than just average fare and take away a little from the "Hm, this sounds like Slayer!" vibe; the vocals have a vicious snarl to them with a prominent echo effect. These vocals in particular make me think of the Portuguese band Alastor and their dry, caustic delivery. Drums are a little hard to hear--it could be youtube or it could be that those guitars are just so damn thick sounding--but I feel like he could have done a better job of it and added a bit more "spice" to the song. I was also kind of hoping for a mad solo, but I guess there are at least two moments when the rhythm track drops out and that lead guitar is just sawing away in that melodious manner that I love so much, and that kind of makes up for it. Nice and very decisive end, too, with that final lead arpeggio (or whatever it is haha) being a perfect way to close off proceedings and showing that these fellows indeed know how to write a song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EyD_LVlAWA
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 72  Next