Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:02 pm 

Just got my pre-order from NB in. Anyone know what "All Hello Kitty-ride playing on this album is dedicated to Fenriz" in the liner notes means? I'm assuming some inside joke about shitty-sounding cymbals?

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:16 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aRu_3WvE6c&t=252

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:47 am 

I gave it two listens and it's very "meh". Seems very superfluous in their discography.

I'm going to stick with their older, better material.

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:00 pm 

Third listen in and I'm liking what i hear. Oddly enough it sounds like a cross between the last couple and Vikingligr Veldi. Maybe its the song lengths and repetition of certain parts?

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:22 pm 

Pretty freaking impressed. Didn't blow me away like RIITIIR did, but solid nonetheless. The chorus to In Times is great, and the mechanical chords remind me of Enslaved circa Isa/Ruun, which is similar to what we heard but definitely a subtle difference compared to what they did with Axioma and RIITIIR. A welcome influence on an album that was starting to sound a bit like Axioma/RIITIIR part 3. I'm feeling like Enslaved has kind of hit a point of diminishing returns at this point, though. I think they are going to really need to do something different and interesting the next time out, because I'm starting to get the feeling this well is starting to dry up. Honestly, I feel like they need to go back to the Vertebrae sessions and maybe do something in that vein. I know it wasn't really super well received, but it was an interesting permutation on their modern sound that never really got fully explored. Or just go all out and make a black/thrash/death album like Maurdraum.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:16 pm 

I heard the new material for the first time at the show last night. It definitely had a different vibe from the rest of the set (which included work from all over their career). I liked everything they played. Their live presence is totally awesome. Great show, and congratulations to them on the new album. Really good work.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:34 pm 

they need to fire their clean singer....from a canon

DennisDemoniarch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:39 pm 

I want to like this, but I share the same opinions to a varying degree as several others now... kind of ...like... meh after a couple listens now. Hard to say what the real end opinion will be, could be I have saturated myself lately with some other really stellar albums and this one between those others really is just not as appealing, or is this album really just not appealing no matter what? haha

Like someone else mentioned already, RIITIIR had several immediate moments that I knew the album was something I would play again and again. I didn't get one of those moments from this new one.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:40 pm 

Chaosmonger wrote:
they need to fire their clean singer....from a canon

That's exactly how I felt last time they came to town. I think he's alright on the albums but live he was just terrible.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:28 am 

Listened to it a couple times more this weekend. It's great, but it re-affirms my belief the band should take a temporary break from heavy stuff and make a full-on prog/acoustic/mellow album. I know they have it in them.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:54 am 

AOTY material for me. It's everything you could expect from modern Enslaved. But while RIITIIR was just good steak, this is premium cut Wagyu. This may even top Vertebrae for me in the long run.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:10 am 

Keep in mind that I'm not nuts about latterday Enslaved exactly, there being always some really interesting guitarwork but something that holds the band back, usually related to vocals. I've heard two songs from this album now, though, "A Thousand Years of Rain" and something else I can't remember, and I found that I really enjoyed both of them. The guitar progressions are just masterful. Something about the production doesn't really suit the mellow parts, I find, but this band still has a good bit of metal riffcraft in them. Again, those guitars are the real strength. wow....Yeah, I may have to try once again to give some of the newer albums a proper listen. I'm still not wild about either the harsh or clean vocals but eh, if I get more of that tasty guitarwork, I'm not too bothered.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:57 pm 

After another few listens I'm finding the album pretty unevenly balanced. The first three tracks are absolutely amazing, but the last three are only so-so. Way too much repetitive fluff on the title track, for example.

Serenityinaz12
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:09 pm 

A bit underwhelmed by this release - seems pretty popular with other people though.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:54 pm 

As much as this album seemed really average (which, by Enslaved standards, is still pretty decent) when I first heard it, I can't stop listening to it. It's got some sort of dull moments and some of the emotional climaxes seem to misfire, it's definitely got it's bright spots. The First three songs especially are great. A Thousand Years of Rain rivals Veilburner when it comes to their catchy uptempo numbers and while the title track does tend to meander a bit, the beginning part with the snaking bassline and the quicker chorus part are definitely on point. I find RIITIIR succeeded a bit more as whole cohesive songs, but In Times definitely brings a lot to the table. I just found some of the songwriting to be a bit "go nowhere" and the hooks a little stale.

Another thing I noticed is this album isn't super dynamic in song length or anything. The songs themselves are fairly dynamic and varied, but I think RIITIIR's possession of some (relatively) shorter numbers really helped it in feeling fresh. I don't know, maybe it's just a mental thing for me, but I think this album could have used a few shorter songs, for example, One Thousand Years of Rain could have been trimmed significantly.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:46 am 

I still haven't listened to it as I'm waiting until Tuesday night when they play here to buy it direct from the band. I'm liking all the descriptions I've been seeing here and someone told me "the new album is so good I want it to have my babies.", so definitely looking forward to picking it up in a few short days.

Azmodes wrote:

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:47 am 

^Hehehe, though upon a closer listen to the album (I wasn't really paying attention to the second half) I'd say it's not completely flawless - the second half does drag a bit, with some of the aimless prog-ish parts that I didn't care for on Isa and Vertebrae. But when it's on, it's absolutely fucking on - "Building with Fire" and "One-Thousand Years of Rain" are glorious.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:44 am 

Good to know. I look forward to spinning this for nost of next week. :evil:

Did you ever get your damned ticket to the show either?

Azmodes wrote:

the_bard_of_osyrhia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:49 am 

The album is damn near spot on. Everything I was hoping for from Enslaved. Seems they've streamlined their proggy and extreme aspects more than ever. Despite the juxtaposition of the two vocal styles and heavy and calm parts it all fits together amazingly well.

http://www.last.fm/user/Argaalofthemyst

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4