PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:51 am 

Blutengel - Black Roses
Blutengel - Forever
Blutengel - No Eternity
Blutengel - Soultaker

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:51 pm 

That would make Blutengel the greatest band of all time.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:34 am 

Kyla La Grange's Cut Your Teeth is the best PBR&B album yet and I should know, because I've literally heard them all. It may not stay a perfect score forever, as quite possible something else will come along to usurp it (I'll remind you that PBR&B is a genre still in its infancy), but for now I couldn't possibly imagine giving it any less than a perfect score.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:07 am 

Blutengel - Nachtbringer

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:29 am 

Next person to post nothing but a band and album name with absolutely no commentary whatsoever wins a week's vacation from the forum courtesy of the hammer.

Next person after Tod_Im_Juni, I mean. His vacation is permanent.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

ratedgdr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:23 pm 

The Joshua Tree by U2. Not all of the best items in their discography come from this album, but the first three songs ("Where The Streets Have No Name," "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," and "With Or Without You") are certainly among their most iconic. That and "Bullet The Blue Sky," which is great by them and great when it gets covered.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:32 pm 

I can think of three non metal albums I might give 100%s too.

Wishbone Ash - Wishbone Ash (1970). This is without a doubt the best non-metal album I have ever heard. If you like guitar driven classic rock, you need this album in your life. So much guitar to love here: lead harmonies, riff harmonies, delicate parts, heavier parts, lots of great licks, lots of soloing.... The vocals are really good, pretty melodic but not overly poppy, and there's some really good vocal harmonies. There's the extended jam number that goes through various moods, Handy, the epic number Phoenix, the riffy numbers Lady Whiskey and Queen of Torture, the mellow number Errors of My Way... That's five songs out of the six, I'd say the only one that's not really anything EXTRAORDINARY, but still great, is the lead off track, Blind Eye.

Scorpions - Fly to the Rainbow (1974). Scorpions may both be on the archives and mostly known as a metal band elsewhere, but this album really isn't metal. But it's fricken fantastic. I'd say all 7 tracks are at least great, with the title track being fricken phenomenal. In this album we have the world's introduction to Uli Jon Roth, who contributes some writing credits to the album with the title track co-written by Michael (!) Schenker, and one he penned himself, Drifting Sun. Fly to the Rainbow is a 9+ minutes epic that starts off with an acoustic intro, then goes into great guitar harmonies which play for "choruses" in between the verses. The second half of the song, the guitar gets very spacey and Uli takes the mic with spoken word lyrics. Then it ends on a heavy rock riff with guitar noises. Uli also takes lead vocals on Drifting Sun, which is a great song, where the guitar maybe reminds me of Hendrix. This is My Song is another highlight, featuring really good harmonies and soloing. Fly People Fly also features a lot of great lead playing by Uli.

Captain Beyond - Captain Beyond (1972). This is high quality hard rock/proto metal from former members of Deep Purple (MK I only) and Iron Butterfly. There's a lot epic songwriting, but they listed different parts as different tracks. So if you're going to go youtube random songs from it. Listen to tracks 1-3 together (Dancing Madly Backwards (On a Sea of Air), Armworth, Myopic Void), tracks 6-8 together (Thousand Days of Yesterdays (Intro), Frozen Over, Thousand Days of Yesterdays (Time Since Come and Gone)), and tracks 9-13 together (I Can't Feel Nothin' (Part 1), As the Moon Speaks (To the Waves of the Sea), Astral Lady, As the Moon Speaks (Return), I Can't Feel Nothin' (Part 2)). Tracks 4 and 5, Mesmerization Eclipse and Raging River of Fear, respectively, are stand-alone tracks.

~Guest 337487
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:04 pm 

Any Breaking Benjamin album is great!!!! I think the TDG albums have become really bland after Adam Gontier left, along with All That Remains, I just don't like how bands can go to alternative and have no passion in it whatsoever. That's why I like Breaking Benjamin, Benjamin Burnley has passion in his voice, you can tell he is there to perform a professional show, not a whiny baby fame attempt that most bands of the -core genres have performed almost instantaneously recently, not saying anything bad about these bands, I just don't like fake bands who really don't try to give a performance, only a money attempt, and that's about it for them!!!!

Brainded Binky
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:27 am 

I know I might get some flak for posting this, but here I go!
Styx-Equinox
Styx-The Grand Illusion
Styx-Pieces of Eight
Boston-s/t
Boston-Don't Look Back
Wolfmother-Cosmic Egg
Blue Oyster Cult-Agents of Fortune
Blue Oyster Cult-Fire of Unknown Origin
Blue Oyster Cult-Secret Treaties
Tesla-Mechanical Resonance
Tesla-The Great Radio Controversy

Last edited by iamntbatman on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What did I *JUST* say?

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:30 am 

Boston's self-titled is a fucking awesome record - wouldn't score it flawless, but damn it's really great rock.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:29 pm 

I'm unclear as yet (need Scientology) on this, but I was considering Neil Young with Crazy Horse's Broken Arrow.

I've heard it two or three times at work, and I can't see much wrong with it. The ideosyncrasies and even wavery errors aren't any more disruptive to the experience than a clumsy wind is to the surface of a rocky stream. The weary sadness to the folky rock style sticks with you. The first time, it had my attention to the point that I could barely concentrate on what I was doing. Afterward, a co-worker told me that is was basically the launching point for grunge, which I'd never known. As far as I know, grunge never managed the emotional impact of this album.

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:42 am 

Hold Your Colour - Pendulum

Yeah, you read that right. Don't hate.

Moonguile
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:13 pm 

I consider a lot of hardcore albums to be 100%. Gorilla Biscuits "Start Today" is an absolute classic, and every single song holds its own. Some other hardcore albums I would put up there would be Know the Score "All Time Low", Battle! "In Remission", and Comeback Kid "Wake the Dead". Every single song on those albums is perfect in its own way, and I never tire of listening to them.

There are a handful of hip hop albums I would say are 100% as well. "Enter the 36 Chambers" is classic through and through, even though I think most of Wu-Tangs later effort is flawed. The production, the gritty beats, the non stop barrage of different flows from all of the different rappers. Flawless. Big Punisher "Capital Punishment" is also flawless through and through, save for maybe the skits. Pun definitely fell a bit on "yeah baby" and its a shame he died, but "Capital Punishment" will always be classic.

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:41 am 

A semi-recent discovery for me, Death in June - The Wall of Sacrifice has quickly become one of my favourites. The first track has this really cathartic vibe that sort of prepares the listener for the rest of the album. Other than the first and last tracks, acoustic guitar is featured heavily, and its simple progressions fit perfectly with Douglas P's mumbling, understated vocal style. It's just an all-round amazing album.

Ancient Sunlight
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:03 am 

J. Geils Band - Full House

Rock on, Magic Dick.
"One of my mottos is: anything has a value if you know what it is. If you can say what the thing is, the value becomes apparent. It may be a very small value. It may be a negative one. I also swear by Gertrude Stein’s wisdom, 'Description is explanation.'"

DeathspellDelta
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:04 am 

Der Blutharsch - Der Blutharsch (Full-length)
From the cover art to the very last song, this album is just so oppressive. I always have a great time listening to this when doing schoolwork.

Metal_Totoro
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:39 am 

Boa - Tall Snake EP : Very catchy alternative rock.
Boards Of Canada - Music Has A Right To Children : One of the best and most consistent idm albums. The tracks leave you with a feeling of sweet melancholy, like childhood through the eyes of an adult.
Boats - The Ballad Of The Eagle : Mixture of ambient and modern classical. Autumnal, melancholic and beautiful.
Body Pleasure - Dictator EP : Old-school EBM the way it should be. Makes you wanna dance (or, more correctly, stomp).
Bohren & Der Club Of Gore - Sunset Mission
Bohren & Der Club Of Gore - Geisterfaust : Doom jazz/ambient jazz or whatever you wanna call it, it is beautifully slow, dark and lush jazz, combining the oppressiveness of doom and the noir atmosphere of lounge jazz.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:48 am 

Nice try, Tod_Im_Juni.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:56 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Next person to post nothing but a band and album name with absolutely no commentary whatsoever wins a week's vacation from the forum courtesy of the hammer.

Next person after Tod_Im_Juni, I mean. His vacation is permanent.

RIP the world's #1 blutengel fan

CardsOfWar wrote:
A semi-recent discovery for me, Death in June - The Wall of Sacrifice has quickly become one of my favourites. The first track has this really cathartic vibe that sort of prepares the listener for the rest of the album. Other than the first and last tracks, acoustic guitar is featured heavily, and its simple progressions fit perfectly with Douglas P's mumbling, understated vocal style. It's just an all-round amazing album.

that one is pretty good, i don't think it's his best one though. have u heard nada? that's probably the best death in june, it gets almost danceable in places(thanks patrick leagas) but it's still got all the gloominess you need.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:24 pm 

While I love all the DI6 albums for different reasons, I honestly don't think any of them quite hit 100%. They are so idiosyncratic and personal that there is always some element that doesn't quite work...which is part of their charm I guess. but then I dont really think that there is much of anything I would give 100% as perfection is a myth.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:29 pm 

Just posted one in the rec forum for blues recs...Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs

This is as close to perfect as you can get.

Like your reviews?

Niklas Sanger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:57 pm 

Tim Buckley - Happy Sad

Pink Moon - Nick Drake

Two depressing albums by folk singers who both died young and never achieved popularity in their lifetimes.

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:54 pm 

I don't think there's any album that I would give 100% to but Better Luck from the Plugz comes close. Especially with the song Blue Sofa. I like to think they they realized that they weren't that great at playing punk so they decided to make a 'rock' album and ended up fucking nailing it.

The first five Oingo Boingo albums are also some of my absolute favorites.

Kimono my House from Sparks is damn near 100% but it starts losing with the last few songs.

untappd: patrick_g

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:30 pm 

Off the top of my head, I suppose the closest I could get to 100% in this instance would be Guns n Roses Appetite for Destruction. I know, it's a highly toted album by most mainstream critics and GNR fans alike but I do think it deserves the praise it gets. GNR may be a parody of itself now, and should probably just be renamed to The Asshole Rose Band, but that album stands on its own as a classic.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:46 pm 

bug_man wrote:
that one is pretty good, i don't think it's his best one though. have u heard nada? that's probably the best death in june, it gets almost danceable in places(thanks patrick leagas) but it's still got all the gloominess you need.

Yeah, I've heard Nada. I can appreciate the whole sort of grim carny vibe it has, but I don't think its anywhere near as good as The Wall of Sacrifice.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:22 am 

U2 - The Joshua Tree: This was one of the albums that got me into rock and pushed me away from hip-hop and electronic music. It's just rock music being played straight from the heart and you can feel the passion in every member of the band. I still get mesmerized when I listen to "Where The Streets Have No Name", "Running To Stand Still", "In God's Country", and my god does "Bullet The Blue Sky" rock hard (Sepultura's cover is complete and utter trash). Brian Eno was such a genius, I don't think U2 would have become what they are today without him.

The Streets - Original Pirate Material & A Grand Don't Come For Free. I'm not big on hip-hop anymore, but The Streets were a damn good group (Mike Skinner, mainly). Awesome flow and hilarious lyrics ("The Irony Of It All") accompanied with a unique UK garage sound that I haven't ever come across before.

Kaickul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:04 am 

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
System of a Down - Toxicity
Dinosaur Jr. - Bug
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II
The Replacements - Let it Be
Fugazi - Red Medicine

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:26 pm 

Deerhunter - Weird Era Cont.
Broken Social Scene - Broken Social Scene
Grime Kings - First View Of The New (98%), Something Ugly (100%)
Jean Michel-Blais - II
Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street
Sonic Youth - Confusion Is Sex
Beach House - Teen Dream
U.G.K. - Super Tight
Curtis Mayfield - Superfly

Honorable Mentions:

Mac DeMarco - 2
Mississippi Fred McDowell - I Do Not Play No Rock 'N' Roll: The Complete Sessions
The Flaming Lips - Zaireeka
Z-Ro - The Life of Joseph W. McVey

Panpol
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:41 pm 

Fields of the Nephilim - Elizium (which I consider to be the best album in the music's history)
The Cult - Love (the second one in my opinion)
The Cult - The Cult
Bauhaus - In the Flat Field
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronounced 'Lĕh-'nérd 'Skin-'nérd

ratedgdr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:29 pm 

"White Pony" by Deftones. I feel that this was the best album of their predominantly nu-metal period before they went in a more experimental style like Linkin Park did.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:36 am 

ratedgdr wrote:
"White Pony" by Deftones. I feel that this was the best album of their predominantly nu-metal period before they went in a more experimental style like Linkin Park did.

White Pony is a great record. I don't know why it's classified as nu-metal, really. It's more experimental rock/alternative metal, if you ask me. "Digital Bath" is my favourite off that record.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:16 am 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
ratedgdr wrote:

White Pony is a great record. I don't know why it's classified as nu-metal, really. It's more experimental rock/alternative metal, if you ask me. "Digital Bath" is my favourite off that record.

It's because the band was classified like that with their first album but since then...

RoryGFan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:38 pm 

100% to me is all songs are great, could be stuck on a desert island listening to it over and over... etc.

Rainbow- Rising
Led Zeppelin- Song Remains the Same Live 2 CD set
Rory Gallagher- LIve in Europe, Irish Tour 74, Stagestruck
Joe Satriani- Crystal Planet, Live in San Francisco
Joe Bonamassa- Live at Royal Albert Hall 2009
Paco De Lucia, Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin- Friday Night in San Francisco
AC/DC- Highway to Hell, Back in Black
UFO- Strangers in the Night, Walk on Water, Covenant, Sharks, You are Here
Montrose- Montrose (First Album)
Be Bop Deluxe- Sunburst Finish
Pink Floyd- Wish You Were Here
ZZ Top- Tres Hombres
Steely Dan- Royal Scam
Deep Purple- Made in Europe
Robin Trower- Bridge of Sighs
Alice Cooper- Schools Out

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:29 am 

I don't think I'd ever give out a 100 but Billy Joel's An Innocent Man is pretty damn close.

untappd: patrick_g

despotband
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:13 am 

King Crimson's Red, Discipline and Three of a Perfect pair are easily 3 of my all time favorite albums and I'd give them 100% without a second thought.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:01 am 

Ten by Pearl Jam is pretty damn good and almost perfect.

Blood Sugar Sex Magik by Red Hot Chili Peppers (I got tired writing that!) is a funky motherfucker. You can't help but to jump up and down and do some wacky shit with your arms and legs.

Abraxas by Santana is wonderful, sexy stuff. It's hard to believe that it came out in '70.

Roffle_the_Thrashard
Thrash Slinging Slasher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:08 pm 

Minor Threat- In My Eyes EP
Hüsker Dü- Everything Falls Apart
Bob Mould- Last Dog and Pony Show
The Misfits- Walk Among Us

:-D

I will list more in the future.

UnholyAnalDeathWorship
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:54 am 

A lot of 100%s in my book so I'll list the ones that have already been discussed a hundred times..

Pink Floyd - "Meddle", " Animals ", " Wish You Were Here "
The Doors discography
Rush "2112", " Moving Pictures "
Led Zeppelin "I-IV", "Houses of the Holy"

With those classics out of the way onto some of the more personal choices.

Warpaint - "Warpaint"
Nowvi have an incredible soft spot for this band. Incredibly passionate musicians with music that speaks to me on a while 'nother level than most music. I love the ambiance in this album, gives it a very spacious feel to it. Grooving bass rhythms throughout the album, stellar drums, vocal melodies and harmonies that are gorgeous, and solid guitar work. Very catchy and well written and the lyrics are great on each song. Mix that with the personalities of the band members (as a fanboy I feel I can hear which members influenced not of certain parts) and the simple but fitting artwork you have here a perfect album.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor "Yanqui UXO"
While most people might choose Lift Yr Skinny Fists I've always had a calling to this album more. Has a more "psychedelic" or challenging sound. Something about it just has kept me returning more than any other album. The songwriting is incredible. But in my opinion GY!BE is a band who can do no wrong.

Modest Mouse "The Moon and Antarctica"
Each track has a personality of its own and stands out individually. Every song on this album is catchy with unique diversity and lyrics that never let you down. Has been a personal favorite since the moment I heard it, not a single bad quality.

Ott "Fairchildren"
As a fan of psydub and various other styles of psychedelic EDM genres, this new album has blown me away. I prefer "Mir" but the opening track of that one was a doozy. This album, however, has plenty of intricate synth work laid out behind great dub bass lines and weaving vocal harmonies. Not only that but the transitions from introspective electronic to bass drop dancing goodness. Plenty of "let's get the fuck down" moments that Ott is perfect at executing. The last track is a great conclusion to an overall blissful and eventful ride.

Ben Frost "Steel Wound"
This album is like taking a trip to space alone but in a sense of "I'm completely okay with this" sort of way. Incredibly introspective, dreamy layers and provoking imagery with it. This is Ben Frost in a calm, personal level. His albums are usually really jagged and fragmented sounding but this is clear and comfortable. This album is a perfect album to reflect upon.

Stardeath and the White Dwarfs "The Birth"
This is a great psychedelic rock record, simple as that. Accessible, trippy, fun, relaxing, heavy and soft, dark and bright all in one. Just a great experience from start to finish.

Stone Temple Pilots "Core"
I'm not a big fan of grunge but this album possesses everything I'd ever want. Gritty rocking riffs, classics Ali throughout the album, great metrics, great noon-single songs that hold up just as well, and a really weird interlude track that is forever memorable. Oh and that closing epic... Love it. I love just smoking a bowl and kicking back to this album.

Burzum ambient albums
All his albums (excluding The Ways of Yore, have yet to hear it) are all equally amazing and none of them have tracks that fall flat. Especially Sol..., that is my favorite as it is the most "spiritual" (couldn't think of a better word) album. Almost dream like in substance. Hard to explain but the three ambient albums certainly get 100's from me

I have plenty more but it's taken me 20 minutes just to write these from my phone. Will come back for more eventually

MegaChaos666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:30 pm 

Anyone who listens CHON ?

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:04 pm 

^CHON is fucking great. As a guitarist it's hard not to appreciate the genius of some of their compositions. Great use of harmony and advanced technique all together. Don't know if I'd call any of their stuff perfect though. It is still pretty dry and clean for my taste.

Well, now that I've got a non-metal album of my own, I think I can safely say it came out 100% the way I expected it to and I love it.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 43  Next