Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:47 pm 

I have a question regarding the vinyl edition of an album. The music was broken up into tracks for the CD version but the press release for the album says that the album is really just one long song. And on the vinyl itself there are no indications of separate tracks - it's just one continuous groove. So on the vinyl version should I have just two tracks, with one on side A and one on side B? The album in question is this one: http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Br ... nee/186373.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:06 pm 

MonumentalBlackArt wrote:
I have a question regarding the vinyl edition of an album. The music was broken up into tracks for the CD version but the press release for the album says that the album is really just one long song. And on the vinyl itself there are no indications of separate tracks - it's just one continuous groove. So on the vinyl version should I have just two tracks, with one on side A and one on side B? The album in question is this one: http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Br ... nee/186373.

Yeah, that's fine. Just add it to the additional notes.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:09 pm 

Will do!

Andre Gaius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:02 pm 

The member # 1 adding "jewelcase" in the descriptions....

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Th ... tan/474574

A week ago...

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Pe ... Bci/479419

I've corrected this one....

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/K% ... eere/94366

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:15 pm 

In most cases he is trying to differentiate two versions that are nearly identical other than one being digipak and the other jewel case. He still shouldn't be adding JC, so I let him know.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:52 am 

Maybe it's just me, but I can't stand this type of stuff in the version description, when all that shit can be put in the additional notes instead. I personally will just put "Limited edition, numbered" so it doesn't look like a clusterfuck.

My collection

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:37 pm 

Yeah, that is wrong. In my opinion, hand-numbered and even "gatefold" should go in the additional notes, not the description field. These are like... secondary descriptors that are best kept out to avoid said clusterfuck that results when people decide to write a freaking novel in the field.

Derigin is still working on the formal guidelines, I promise that will clear all of these inconsistencies up; I'll make sure of that.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Manalishi69
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:45 am 

I just modified the "Holiday in Cambodia" single and flagged a report. I think the info I displayed there concerning the discrepancies of the release year should go as an info in the additional notes. There must a decision taken if it remains 1989 or will be changed to 1990 by someone of the stuff. Maybe a reminder of not changing the release year after the final decision and maybe modification by the staff is also useful.
I'm not good at reports especially concerning the providing of sources, but as a trusted user my detailed input on the Forum addidtionally to the report is welcome, I think.

Secondly I'd like to point out that concerning the lyrics of a cover song a band often changes single words or lines. Lääz Rockit have been politically correct as they performed on both, the single and the "Annihilation Principle" album the line "Braggin' that you know how the suckers feel cold", which is also printed as such in the booklet. The original Dead Kennedys lyrics say niggers instead of suckers.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:18 am 

I'm having problems. Why does this Birkenau demo, which was re-released as an I Shalt Become full-length (and is linked to the former as such), not show up in the I Shalt Become discography?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:24 am 

Does now. Separate listing box wasn't checked.

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:25 am 

Maybe those questions were asked before but to be sure:
1) Should we add "test pressings" of vinyl as the other version? Test pressings can be different to the standard pressings.
2) What about promo versions marked as "not for sale"? When exploring Discogs, one release could be released as two different "promo" versions like this one: http://www.discogs.com/Thor-Keep-The-Do ... ter/598452 There is a difference between the original and promo versions. If we take Discogs as a source, it's not always clear if those promo versions been released.
3) What about not standard formats like "8-Track Cartridge"? http://www.discogs.com/Thor-Keep-The-Do ... se/4388499 Mark as "other" and add a note in the field "Component 1"?
4) If the same album released in the same year with a different cover art should it be added as other version? Like this one: http://www.discogs.com/Marécage-Marécage/release/4027440 - released also with black cover and green lettering.
5) The same album has been released in different countries - does every country need an entry as the other version?

Thanks!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:44 pm 

1. No.
2. I don't mind adding entries that are known promos, since this term seems to have wider use, but if it is marked as not for sale somewhere on the cover, or in the description, it shouldn't be included. There might be some staffers that want to nix promos overall, and others that are against it. I am somewhere in the middle. It just depends on the circumstances, and whether or not it was released to the wider public.
3. Yup. I would recommend mentioning it in the description field as well.
4. If there are two versions totally identical but with different different covers, I add a separate version for each and put "Alternate cover" in the description field for the second. I think that is a big enough difference to warrant two entries.
5. No, no, no. This is a big one that tons of people are still doing. Do not add a separate version for each country, UNLESS there are differences that warrant it anyway. Also do not enter the country in the description field by default. There are some exceptions, like if there is a different release date, and lets say a different bonus track, for two versions. One is US, the other Europe. They are otherwise completely identical. I suppose it is okay there. Japanese versions are the exception here, go ahead and add that to every one, because those are oftentimes so different that it helps to point them out.

Last.fm

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:49 am 

Tying up some loose ends that seem to continually arise, hopefully this will help straighten things out until we finish the formal guidelines.

1. Country should never be added to the description field unless separating two otherwise identical versions. So for example, adding Candlelight USA as the label precludes the need to add "US" to the description field. It is redundant and silly to add "Mexico" to every Scarecrow Records release, so just leave it be. The only exception to the rule is Japanese pressings, which are consistently and markedly different enough to warrant consistent designation when viewing the other versions tab.
2. Both "Hand-numbered" and "Gatefold cover" should be added to the additional notes, not the description field! These are what I like to call "Secondary descriptors" and they don't carry enough weight to warrant clogging up the description field any further.
3. Both "Jewel case" and "Black vinyl" are the assumed default for the CD/vinyl format respectively, and should never be added. If adding a version that consists of only one vinyl color, please specify in the description field i.e. (Limited edition, Red vinyl / Red vinyl). But if there are two or more colors, please just leave "Limited edition" and...
4. ...condense multiple vinyl colors that are released at the same time under the same cat #. Discogs adds a separate version for each color, and as you can see that can lead to excessive version totals. Break down as shown here and include all colors, even if the total isn't forthcoming for all of them.
5. Bringing up secondary descriptors again, entries like "180g black vinyl, foil stamped rough solid-coloured green cartonstock with round corners, heavy printed inner sleeve." should obviously be truncated into the additional notes. Do not write a novel in the description field, this is universally frowned upon.
6. To expound on point #5, all description field entries should be entered coherently and separated by commas. Capitalize the first letter of each term you enter, i.e. (Limited edition, Digipak, Enhanced). Do not be excessively brief (limited digipak) or enter the data like (limited gatefold sleeve on black vinyl). Please follow the suggested standard so everything stays presentable and more importantly: consistent.
7. "Enhanced" CDs that contain multimedia data and/or bonus video tracks should be marked as such in the description field, and the information broken down in the additional notes. Do not tack these onto the end of the tracklisting, as this is misleading and suggests that the multimedia element is part of the tracklisting itself, which it isn't. Explain in the additional notes using bullet points or some other structured manner.
8. Single-sided is a valid description field term, and should be used to help differentiate cassette/vinyl entries that are otherwise unmarked. Please realize that at the time of this writing, ~90% of albums without sides marked are actually two-sided but unfinished, so don't go around adding this to every one you come across without proof.
9. Do not add just "CD", "Cassette/tape" etc. to the description field. Realize that this comes up separately under the "Format" field, so it is entirely pointless to add this.
10. Check your level of site access before trying to make edits to albums. We are getting at least a dozen or more unnecessary duplicates a day (that we catch at least), almost all coming as a result of sub-veteran level users trying to edit albums and using the "add a version" tab to circumvent their lack of site access. They make the changes because this is allowed when adding a new version, and then just leave it and don't flag a report to remove the older duplicate. As a result we get upwards of 6 of these at a time from the same user making changes and restarted after making a mistake, or whatever. PLEASE stop doing this. Flag a report for one of the higher-level users/staffers to make the applicable changes to the original album entry.
11. When adding a new version, please clear the additional notes of the version you are adding, and clear the applicable data from the parent entry after you are finished. If you don't have enough access to do the latter, please flag a report for one of us to take care of it. It is very frustrating to have to clean the notes when there are upwards of a dozen different versions. Just isn't necessary at all and it is sloppy.
12. When adding Japanese versions, please try to grab a cover image including the OBI strip.
13. Pro-tape, Pro CD-R, etc. are valid description field entries. You should also specify tape color if it is forthcoming (Limited edition, Blue tape) etc.
14. Pressing limitation = "Limited edition" in the description field. Doesn't matter if you don't know the exact numeration, or even if it is the ONLY version of the album.
15. It's digipak, not digipack. ;)

I will add more soon.

Last.fm

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:44 pm 

here's a case that maybe hasn't occured before... http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Na ... III/458996 read the notes. just got my copy of terrorizer, and the ep is "just" the first four tracks on terrorizer's "ear candy"-series compilation cd. there's like 10 more tracks, each by a different band, afterwards. how do I add it, and do I add it at all?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:51 pm 

Don't add it at all, just revise the additional notes to account for it.

Sigh... some numbskull also added all the lineup role particulars to the "Recording info" field.

Last.fm

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:14 pm 

well, his username is johnny english... :D

thanks, will do :)

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:53 pm 

To anyone suspecting I am too overbearing/anal with these new features, here is a brief snippet of what I deal with on the norm:

Spoiler: show

Last.fm

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:00 am 

What's the standard procedure with regards to albums released in multiple digital locations? Bands and labels frequently have the same release. Should that be one version or a version from the band's Bandcamp and then one for the label's Bandcamp?

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:05 am 

One digital version total, unless the tracklisting is different. It'd be a mess otherwise.

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:50 pm 

Is it OK to add another version of the album if it is written in the additional notes that the album was co-released by two other labels?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:20 pm 

Nope. Break down extra cat #s in the additional notes for now. We are maybe looking into a way to add more than one label per-release.

Last.fm

Torquia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:26 am 

I found that user http://www.metal-archives.com/users/theunrelentingattack changed the catalog numbers of Disembodied records releases, adding a [-]: DR-XXX. Most of them do not have that [-] before the number, so I found no sense in that changes.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:26 am 

"Gatefold" can now safely be added to the description field, as is specifying packaging (A5 digipak, etc.). As usual, try and limit extraneous overstuffing of this field; keep it as concise and accurate as possible. We are obviously still fine-tuning the OV feature(s), so expect more minor tweaks like this in the near future.

Last.fm

DonnTD1
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:29 pm 

I was wanting to add digital versions of albums on Band camp; I just made my first attempt with Svadilfare. (For some reason, I can't paste links on my mobile phone.) Please give feedback on whether it was done correctly.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:11 pm 

Looks fine to me.

Last.fm

DonnTD1
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:27 pm 

Thanks!

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:59 pm 

Just added this version:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Em ... usk/511779
However, I need a mod to double check whether it's valid as a separate release. There are four open reports concerning adding similar versions of other albums. As far as I could see they weren't released as a whole set, although together they make up one (no. I, II, III, IV, and V). ATTWAT for example is limited to 5000 copies whereas IX Equilibrium to 3000 only. They have different barcodes, too.
http://www.discogs.com/Emperor-Anthems- ... se/1363502
http://www.discogs.com/Emperor-IX-Equil ... se/1313927

Here's a better source (w/ more photos): http://www.musik-sammler.de/media/128292

EDIT: Expired.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:25 pm 

It's been a while since I've messed around with alternate versions so I'd rather ask than just go potentially shitting in someone else's cheerios. Shouldn't this http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Tr ... ons/288104 just be an alternate of the regular album? I mean they both have each other listed in their respective alternate versions tabs. So am I'm forgetting/missing some obvious or what?

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:18 pm 

It was added correctly. but "separate listing" was checked for some reason.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:43 am 

Could a mod please send GearWing, bastardnasum and Murmur_666 a message telling them that Digipak has no other spelling, i.e. Digipack? There are many others, of course, but those three contribute more frequently, and they ought to know this.

~Guest 152635
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:10 pm 

What is the proper way to add a bootleg split like this? It looks like it was added to both demos separately, but I want to make sure before I possibly make a mistake.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:14 pm 

Antioch wrote:
Could a mod please send GearWing, bastardnasum and Murmur_666 a message telling them that Digipak has no other spelling, i.e. Digipack? There are many others, of course, but those three contribute more frequently, and they ought to know this.

Ended up making a curt news post.

Halloween wrote:
What is the proper way to add a bootleg split like this? It looks like it was added to both demos separately, but I want to make sure before I possibly make a mistake.

No other way, currently. Two or more parents can't share one version.

~Guest 152635
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:16 pm 

Thanks!

So much work to do :(
http://www.discogs.com/label/472935-Racer-Records-2

gerardo a
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:53 pm 

Just one question.......

It can add as other official versions the launches who made a Central American company in the eighties under license from the original label ? like Emi, Capitol, Vertigo etc.

thanks

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:19 pm 

Yes.

Shadechaser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:32 am 

Taking into account existing fields like "Recording information" and "Identifiers"...
I guess it won't be useless to make one more field for "other versions": to describe additional information concerning just specified versions.
Example (don't want to search more illustrative): Kauan - Tietäjän laulu
Here in additional information are pilled up to one heap notes about this reprinted vinyl and about the album itself.
Thanks goodness I know HTML a bit, so I made words "Version summary" more notable :)
But all this sh.t I've wrote under a header will hardly fit to a single string "Version description".
I think it won't be difficult, eh?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:35 am 

Most would argue that you don't need to copy all of those details verbatim into the notes. This is the end result: it can become a little unfocused. List pertinent pressing info in the description field, and use the additional notes as a dumping ground for the rest. Try and keep it more... succinct I guess.

That said, if you can structure it cleanly with the subheaders and are willing to put that much effort in, you won't find much complaining from me. Finalized guidelines are coming (eventually).

Last.fm

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:20 pm 

So I've discovered that the Japanese band, Doom, is reissuing/remastering/rerecording (I'm honestly not sure which of those three it is or if it's some combination) their debut album, No More Pain. The title is "NO MORE PAIN~COMPLETE EXPLOSIONWORKS SESSION," and it is a 2CD set. It looks they are calling the first CD the "LP mix" which is all of the songs from the LP version of the first album, the four songs from their debut EP and two songs from their 1987 single. The second CD is either a remaster or rerecording (I'm not sure which one) of the 1989 CD version of their first album (12 songs total). So basically my question is, does this count as another version of the first album or does it count as a new compilation? I mean it does technically have a different title and different cover art. Here's some relevant links you can run through google translate if you want.
http://natalie.mu/music/news/162905
http://diskunion.net/portal/ct/detail/HMHR151016-001
http://doom-real.com/index2.html

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:11 pm 

At that point, I'd say comp.

Last.fm

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:56 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Hu ... ann/323221

Someone went through this release and added almost a dozen versions of the album. These versions, all of which are marked as Feb. 7, 2012, where part of one collaborative release between 5 labels on both CD and vinyl, but someone has added each format, by each label, as its own separate version. I know we don't have support for multiple labels on one release, but this doesn't seem like the best alternative.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next