Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:28 am 

Oh, I just remembered another nice scotch on the cheaper side: Old Pulteney 12. It's light but pretty robust, and it's got a salty overtone to it that could be a selling point or...not. For me it wasn't, but in hindsight I think I should've just left the bottle on the shelf for a while to let things mellow and then come back to it after it had some time to soften. Might've been a lot better after a few months. So yeah... if a solid salty note in your scotch sounds appealing, you could give the OP 12 a go.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:35 am 

I have had the Virgin Oak recommended at the local liquor store before, when I was looking for a scotch with a strong wooden flavor. Will definitely check that out, thanks!

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:40 am 

Yeah go for it! It's very light, zesty, and bright, but not at all simple-minded. At that price it's an incredible value. Just don't drink it too fast, haha.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:45 am 

Oh Frog, whatever did you end up taking to your parents? I keep thinking about the Longrow, and how much you'd probably dig it. Any peat lovers here tried the Longrow besides me? ;)

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:09 pm 

Oh yeah, I ended up getting the Hakushu - it was thoroughly enjoyed by all parties - people really dug it. I think it's my favorite of the family, but I'm not sure because I haven't had them back to back yet....hmmph hmmmph. Hakushu is good in ginger ale, soda, and by itself. Yummy stuff.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:21 pm 

Haha you used it as a mixer? Sweet, glad I didn't steer you wrong. The peat undertone, which was quite subtle at the beginning, definitely emerged more after many months open, making it even better. There aren't that many scotches I've bought repeat bottles of up till now, but the Hakushu 12 would definitely be a candidate. Methinks the next on my list is Lagavulin.

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:39 am 

So, Since I started working almost full time, my liquor shelf has grown expansively. So I'll post a huge swath of everything I've tried that I haven't seen talked about here with approximate prices.

Recommended:

Connemara Peated Irish Whiskey $40 Honey coated grains wrapped in a blanket of gentle, earthy peat that gives off tiny wisps of smoke at the finish. Great stuff.

Jefferson's Bourbon $26 - A smooth, light bodied bourbon starting off with standard corn/carmelized sugar sweetness, moves into very delicate refreshing oak then finishes with a rich, bittersweet vanilla finish. A good buy for bourbon fans even if my palate is starting to find bourbon too sugary.

Redbreast 12 Single pot still $60 - An oily, heavy body replete with chewy pot still spice, burnt sugar, coconut, vanilla and toasty grains. Tasting this makes me wonder why there aren't more single pot still Irish whiskies.

Laphroaig Triple Wood $60 - Since this is pretty much just the quarter cask with some sherry aging, I won't mention the quarter cask on it's own. You get the signature iodine, brine and smoke of laphroaig, but with the ashy, dried campfire wood and vanilla flavorings of the quarter cask. The moutfeel is sufficiently full, and with the sherry aging you get integrated notes of cherry and berry that dance around the edges of the flavor and pop up most prominently at the top of your palate on the finish.

Tomatin 18 $56 - Wood, tightly woven heather honey, a cabinet of baking spices finishing with oranges and cocoa. It probably isn't the greatest 18 year old malt, but a knockout in terms of value and supremely tasty especially if you are into dry, malty spicy highlanders.

Macallan 10 Fine Oak $40 - it uses 3 types of oak for aging, the signature oloroso sherry wood, sherry spiced american white oak and regular old bourbon oak. Honey, creme brulee-esque cereal malts, bourbon, oak spice and echoes of grape.

Highland Park 12 $41 - Hugely rich heather honey that is briefly snuck up on by raisins and semi-sweet red wine and finishing with a return of the heather honey, some citrusy peat combined with a lightly smoky finish reminiscent of smoldering embers. It strikes me if Johnnie Walker Black had the peat refined and toned down, and the grain astringency replaced with sherry and a richer base of honey.

The Irishman Founders Reserve - $29.99 - A blend of 30% pot still and %70 single malt Irish Whiskey. Opens with honeyed grains, fragrant green apple, the middle palate is spicy pot still grain and the finish is a nutty oakiness (walnuts?) backed with gentle vanilla. This stuff is criminally good for this price.

Meh -

Glenfiddich 12 $41 - It isn't a bad whisky, it just always see it losing to the Glenfiddich 12 at every angle. The central pear flavor lacks the chewiness and almost edible consistency of the green apple in the glenlivet, and the supporting notes of oak shavings and mild cirtus aren't as interesting as what the glenlivet has to offer. I'm not really rushing to get another bottle especially considering the fairly abrupt finish.

Balvenie Doublewood $54- The enjoyable heather honey is snuffed out quickly by a muddling jumble of barrel spices, and the advertised sherry notes don't make much of an entrance in totality. I wish I could find more to say about this one.

Avoid - Dalmore 12 $44 - You can definitely tell this one has been chill filtered and watered down, the flavors aren't very well integrated and kind of just flatly present themself. Semisweet orange, typical sherry and a vaguely chocolate finish on top of a thin body and anemic finish.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:21 pm 

I've got a bottle of Jefferson's I've been meaning to test against this Woodford Reserve Distiller's select I opened a couple nights ago.
I normally drink liquor without any ice or additives, but I think I've finally bought into the idea of ice really bringing out flavors, especially in whisky. The aftertaste almost evolves on the palate with each sip, hints of apples and nuts, even a slight lingering lavender taste too. Woodford Reserve has been my first experience with whisky properly, though after really enjoying a couple glasses of this one I'm itching to try a glass of this Willett pot Still bourbon too.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:18 am 

Hello whisky fiends. I had bought myself a bottle of this below, and am wondering if any of you have some thoughts (or have had) on this single malt, peated whisky?

My collection

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:22 am 

That's a good one, Crushed. A really nice peaty Highlander with lots of round sweetness and wood to it. It's been a couple years since I had a bottle at home but it was a great buy. Do give it ten or fifteen minutes in the glass. I remember it mellowing quite nicely over the course of the bottle. How much did it run you? In my neck of the woods it goes for ~$50.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:33 am 

Knew I could count on you Starmere :thumbsup:

Thanks for the wrap, sounds like I good a decent one for my foray into whisky... Got this bottle for $65 Australian monies, though I could have gotten two for $89 at the duty free (why didn't I do that?...). I like your description as it sounds exactly like something I would enjoy, what with the peaty, woody notes this has. Should be nice to sit on come winter. Might take me a while though as it's a one liter bottle...

My collection

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:42 am 

But of course!

Two bottles of good scotch is always better than one, but two bottles of good and distinctly different scotch is even better. :) Best to save your cash for more variety, I say. If you end up liking the Ardmore a lot, I definitely recommend the Benromach 10. It's similar but more complex, and possibly a little harder to find. I'd always be down to throw more suggestions your way if you lend me some insight on your developing scotchly interests as time goes on.

Have you got a snifter on hand?

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:46 pm 

Latest two things I've tried are Willett pot still bourbon (comes in a super cool bottle, shaped like an old-timey pot still). For the price (like ~$40), it's pretty good though I think I've become partial to Jefferson's (which is $15 cheaper), the bottle I've got seems to be a lot harsher than some of the other bourbons I've tried.

Just opened this bottle of Glenmorangie's Quinta Ruban and goddamn this stuff is smooth. I'm pretty sure this is my first single malt scotch I've had, and this stuff is a world away from the blended varieties I've tasted. It's a lot sweeter than what I expected, though I guess aging in wine casks brings that out a bit more.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:55 pm 

How familiar are you with rye, OneSize? If you like the Willett you might do well to branch into them there parts. Russell's Reserve 6 Year comes to mind as a great choice, though I'm not as well versed in rye at this point as I'd like to be. I too was mildly underwhelmed by the Willett, though it was definitely good stuff.

Also, single malts can be plenty sweet even without "special" wine cask aging. I mean it is absolutely traditional for them to be aged in sherry casks, already a very sweet wine, so nothing odd there.

Just finished my bottle of Balcones Brimstone last night. I really like the way that stuff aged in the bottle. It's an extremely distinctive whisky, and for a long while the smoky/cornmeal aspect of it was almost too much, the aftertaste just lingered for waaaaay too long, like into-the-next-morning long. After months in the bottle, the last few glasses were beautifully balanced, with some of the smoke toned down and everything just settled more. Really sweet, lovely stuff. Still need to try more of the Balcones line.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:14 pm 

I couldn't stand the Quinta Ruban. Really harsh stuff. If you want a proper double-cask Scotch that finishes sweet look for Balvenie 14-year Caribbean Cask. It's finished in rum casks.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:18 pm 

The only Glenmorangie I've had so far was the 10 year and I thought it was kind of shitty. Really sugary nose that clashed pretty badly with an overly grassy, harsh palate.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:15 am 

From what I've tasted, this stuff is anything but harsh (especially for something bottled at over 90 proof), scotch finished in rum casks sounds delicious though.. I've got a few other things I need to taste in my cabinet first (Laphroaig 10 year cask strength is one I've been looking forward to).

And as far as rye goes, I've never tried it before. If it's along the same lines as bourbon I'll definitely like it though. I feel like Willett needs a couple ice cubes to fully bring out the flavors, while stuff like Jefferson's or Woodford don't really need any added ice.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:53 pm 

OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
And as far as rye goes, I've never tried it before. If it's along the same lines as bourbon I'll definitely like it though.

It definitely is. A good percentage of bourbons already contain a fair degree of rye so it's not a very wide diversion in terms of style at all. The noses on some ryes are extremely, er, rye-y, a lot different than the typical vanilla/brown sugar scents you get with bourbon.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:13 pm 

Templeton springs to mind. Whistle Pig isn't bad, either. I like Old Overholdt, but it's pretty middle tier. Honestly, Bulleit Rye is a great, inexpensive place to start. Semi-interesting trivia: Bulleit Rye and Bulleit Bourbon are each made in a town called Lawrenceberg, but the bourbon's is in Kentucky, and the rye's is in Indiana.

Not entirely sure why their bourbon won an award in 2012, but .. *shrug* .. can't exactly complain about it, either. I used to, though. I've lightened up in my old age.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:41 pm 

For anyone looking for a good bourbon choice with budget in mind, check out the Rebel Yell. It's been repackaged recently, I think, and looks nicer now. I tried it by chance today and was surprised by how relatively great it was. Very heavy on the vanilla, but with a nice hit of rye in the finish, giving it more complexity. A nice mellow nose with buttered toast aromas. I think it's a wheated bourbon? It's only 80 proof, so it goes down quite smoothly as well. At only ~$20 a bottle I'd say it's a pretty killer buy. Get it, you cheap fucks!

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:33 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
For anyone looking for a good bourbon choice with budget in mind, check out the Rebel Yell. It's been repackaged recently, I think, and looks nicer now. I tried it by chance today and was surprised by how relatively great it was. Very heavy on the vanilla, but with a nice hit of rye in the finish, giving it more complexity. A nice mellow nose with buttered toast aromas. I think it's a wheated bourbon? It's only 80 proof, so it goes down quite smoothly as well. At only ~$20 a bottle I'd say it's a pretty killer buy. Get it, you cheap fucks!

I've seen that stuff in stores before but was always kinda skeptical. I'm not against the hardcore vanilla stuff at all and I've gotta start looking for cheaper stuff, but not too cheap.. I mistakenly bought a bottle of some Canadian stuff called black velvet a while ago. tasted like it was distilled in a plastic bottle, I guess black leather doesn't have the same appeal. I can handle a shitty vodka or brandy, but whisky is something that shouldn't taste like it was distilled in a New york trash can.

Any thoughts on Knob Creek? I got a bottle of that stuff for my birthday and I'm really liking it so far, it doesn't have the heavy oaky-ness of Angel's Envy or the fruity-ness of Four Roses but for something that's considerably less than the aforementioned, I'd be willing to pay ~$30 for a bottle

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:06 pm 

Oh yeah, Knob Creek is great stuff for sure. One of the first high-quality bourbons I got to know. Like it a little better than Woodford overall. It's been quite a while since I had any on the shelf, though, so my memory of it is a little outdated.

I was surprised myself at how tasty the Rebel Yell was. Since it was a blind taste I didn't have any preconceptions, so maybe that shifted things a bit. Really smooth, surprisingly mellow for a bourbon at 40%, which was actually sort of refreshing since I often find a lot of bourbons a bit harsh. Sort of like a...dessert bourbon? Great stuff for the price, I stand by the recommendation.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:42 pm 

I checked out this new super-grocery store that they built last summer and found out they have an insane selection of single malts that even the liquor stores here don't stock.
Gotta make a list of stuff I wanna try, saw tons of stuff from Talisker, Dalmore, Bunnahabhain and Ardbeg

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:27 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
So I figured I would make a thread about one of my favorite things to do - have a wee dram of Scotland's finest aqua vitae!

Uhm... Let's see.
I don't like the usual whisky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisky) that people around me drinks but, man, I CAN remember two of them quite easily:
-First one is a "misterious bottle" we drank 15 years ago just after we finished our studies and went for our first job experience to Northern Ireland. Three of my mates were living in a town (city?) near Armagh city and the family invited all of us to a night party in their country house. If was an AMAZING night but I'm not sure if the one bottle of whisky each of my coleages were given as a gift could have a relation with this. One of them told the rest of us nor him nor his family would EVER drink this botle and we decided to drink it during all the night. I just remember tripping all around an unknown house, drinking, playing music in the garden, looking for something to eat in the kitchen, talking with people I knew (and not) in the rooms,...
I was an AMAZING experience but, for the love of fucking god, I can't remember the name of the local brewery!
-Next one has been a small shot of Glenfiddich 12 years I just drank now (ambient temp drink poured in a cold watercooled glass) while watching a film.
Oh, my! I think I have LOTS to learn!

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:20 am 

Since all my long-lived bottles of single malt have finally dwindled down to the dregs, it was finally time to restock the bar. Decided to go in the American direction this time and picked up bottles of Eagle Rare 10 year bourbon and Bulleit rye. Both are delicious, which I'd already learned in tastings a long time ago. Really good shit, especially the Eagle Rare. Damn, it's fine stuff... really one of the most delicious bourbons I've tasted. It's just got a richer, sweeter and more deeply rounded character than you commonly find, as well as a longer and more satisfying finish. Might be primarily the effect of aging, as 10 years is longer than average for bourbon. A lot of bourbons tend to occupy a really narrow aroma/flavor profile and this one actually manages to stand out as something relatively different. In any case, marvelous stuff, I highly recommend it.

thementalpatient
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:07 am 

Out of any kind of alcohol, whiskey has started become my favorite. I have tried Red Stag bourbon, Maker's Mark, and Canadian Leaf (don't judge me I am a poor college student), and a few others, but am generally uncultured on the topic. What kind of whiskeys do you recommend to someone who wants to refine their tastes but has little money to spend?

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:34 pm 

Opened a bottle of Laphroaig 10 cask strength this evening, the smokiness was pretty overpowering at first, but the finish is incredible, it's like it's sweet and smoky at the same time. This is my first taste of single malt Islay whiskeys, but the smoke flavor reminds me a lot of this blended malt stuff called the Spice King I had a while back, 'cept Laphroaig has a much nicer "feel" to it overall. It's well over 100 proof though, so I might just be kinda drunk too.

Overall, I think I prefer the Highland stuff like Glenmorangie so far. I've been meaning to try Auchentoshan's three wood for awhile.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:34 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
-First one is a "misterious bottle" we drank 15 years ago just after we finished our studies and went for our first job experience to Northern Ireland. Three of my mates were living in a town (city?) near Armagh city and the family invited all of us to a night party in their country house. If was an AMAZING night but I'm not sure if the one bottle of whisky each of my coleages were given as a gift could have a relation with this. One of them told the rest of us nor him nor his family would EVER drink this botle and we decided to drink it during all the night. I just remember tripping all around an unknown house, drinking, playing music in the garden, looking for something to eat in the kitchen, talking with people I knew (and not) in the rooms,...
I was an AMAZING experience but, for the love of fucking god, I can't remember the name of the local brewery!

Hi,
Could anybody help me with the mysterious local bottle, please? We were located near Armagh, if I can remember clearly.
I'm thinking about buying a good bottle for Christmas and would like your opinions since I only know Cardhu and Glenfiddich 12 years.
Thanks!

Edit: Ok, guys. I have been searching in the supermarket where I buy my beers and found those:
-Hibiki whisky: 69,99€.
http://whisky.suntory.com/products/hibiki/
-Lagavulin 16: 62,84€.
-Old St. Andrews Clubhouse: 30,61€.
http://www.osawhisky.com/clubhouse/maxipak-70cl.html
-Glenfiddich 18: 54,99€.
http://www.glenfiddich.com/collection/core-range/18-year-old/
-Talisker 10: 36,45€.
-Glenfiddich 15: 36,05€.
http://www.glenfiddich.com/collection/core-range/15-year-old/
-Macallan Amber: 43,92€.
http://www.themacallan.com/the-whisky/the-1824-series/amber/
-Dalwhinnie 15: 35,43€.
-Laphroaig Select: 28,39€.
http://www.laphroaig.com/whiskies/select.aspx
-Glenrothes Vintage Reserve: 35,39€.
http://www.theglenrothes.com/en/our-whisky/vintage-reserve.html
-Singleton Spey Cascade: 23,58€.
http://www.thesingleton.com/en-us/
-Haig Club: 36,77€.
https://www.haigclub.com/
-Johnnie Walker Platinum Label 18 Year Old: 54,99€.
https://www.johnniewalker.com/en/our-whisky/johnnie-walker-colours/platinum-label-18-year-old/
Opinions, please!

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:49 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Opinions, please!

C'mon, guys! I need some help, please!

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:09 am 

I don't see how any of us are supposed to know which whisky you had based on absolutely no description at all. Just get the Talisker or Lagavulin, they're both good.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:14 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
I don't see how any of us are supposed to know which whisky you had based on absolutely no description at all. Just get the Talisker or Lagavulin, they're both good.

Wait, wait, wait!
I'm asking for recs telling that I liked Cardhu, Glenfiddich 12 years and the "mysterious one".

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:17 am 

Among the bottles you listed those are the only two I can personally recommend. If you're at all into peaty scotch, that is. And if you're not, well... give it a try? ;) Sounds like you could stand to broaden your horizons. I've heard great things about the Hibiki but it's a very safe-zone blend, so if you're turned off by the idea of smoke and brine in your whisky then go for that.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:27 am 

Also, you do realize you can look up actual reviews of these whiskies on the internet, right? Might be a more enlightening experience since MA doesn't seem to be yielding much for you.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:41 pm 

@BasqueStorm: Talisker 10. It's easily my pick among the lower cost on your list. I find Dalwhinnie and the Macallan overpriced and their quality comparitively pretty dull.

thementalpatient wrote:
Out of any kind of alcohol, whiskey has started become my favorite. I have tried Red Stag bourbon, Maker's Mark, and Canadian Leaf (don't judge me I am a poor college student), and a few others, but am generally uncultured on the topic. What kind of whiskeys do you recommend to someone who wants to refine their tastes but has little money to spend?

Give Johnny Walker Red a try. I think it's actually a good starting point for scotch if you've no experience at all with the stuff, and not very spendy. Gives you the scotch experience without being demanding. Since it's a blended whisky, it has a really stable and accessible profile. Very tame flavor, but not what I would call boring, exactly. It's more to my taste than most of the mid-shelf stuff I can find at an average bar around me. I'm a big fan of Bulleit Rye for the price, just over $20. That's a standard. You can get a bottle of Old Overholdt Rye for not too much, also. Knob Creek makes a good bourbon for around $30. Those are my recs for starting points not too far away from the ones you listed while still remaining pretty easy to buy on a budget.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:23 pm 

Yeah Talisker is one of my favorites, I love the cracked-pepper taste that sets it apart from other peaty scotches. Haven't had the $$ to buy scotch for a while but that's first on the list when I finally do.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:02 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Haven't had the $$ to buy scotch for a while but that's first on the list when I finally do.

I know this pain.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:27 pm 

Talisker 10!! This is a beauty. I really like that one. A damn fine drop, will have to get me a bottle. My local pub has Talisker 10 on the shelf and I regularly find myself having one or two of these, fantastic stuff.

My collection

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:44 am 

The Talisker is great. I love it too. In fact, it's so good, it made me to not want to touch a whiskey for 4/5 months because I got way and way too drunk off it this summer at a whiskey tasting. I'm just lately starting to think about whiskey again. Probably getting this. My Peat's Beast and Smokehead bottles are almost empty.

Daysbetween
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:25 am 

I bought a bottle of Caol Islay 12 yesterday and opened it immediately. One of the lesser peaty whiskies from the island so a good place to start if you are new to them. Has a campfire smokieness to it as well as a damp grass earthiness, peat and pepper. I have visited the distillery and it is in a beautiful location with a view over the Sound of Islay to the 'Paps of Jura' and is well worth the effort to get to. If you like smokey Highland whisky with a touch of peat then this is worth a try.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:56 pm 

Thanks, guys!
I'll have to coment it with more time but I finally decided to buy a bottle of Ardbeg 10 Years after tasting it:
http://www.ardbeg.com/ardbeg/

I REALLY like the smoke, salt and non-conventional whisky style.
Thanks!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next