Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:03 pm 

HellBlazer updated the advanced search to encompass album additional notes, which means that there are a lot of options for users to make points legitimately and help out the site in a positive manner.

For starters, here is a list of albums that have raw URLs in the notes (there are over 7000 of these although not all are incorrect).

I would say that nine out of ten of these are just users dumping URLs in a promotional/spamming manner, or due to general ignorance. These notes need to be cleaned up and the raw URLs removed, or truncated properly using HTML if they are legit. Ask me if you need further instruction.

I will add more tasks to this thread based on how successful this is.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

0th
Suicidal Angel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:16 pm 

New task: Format in the notes. Example: http://www.metal-archives.com/search/ad ... re=#albums
Let's clean the notes and update the format.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:21 pm 

Yup that's another good one. "CD" is always redundant as it can now be applied correctly as the format.

AddWittyUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:27 pm 

Same with release-types, such as "Demo", "Single" and such.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:29 pm 

Yes, and for those of you under 1000 points, you can still help by simply flagging reports for these. You still get a point just as if you did the edit yourself once the report is closed.

EpicDismemberment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:35 am 

May be this is a stupid question. How to use HTML?

The Red Tower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:10 am 

EpicDismemberment wrote:
May be this is a stupid question. How to use HTML?

Concerning the URLS (which should be formatted so that they are actually clickable) it looks like that:

This demo recording is only available through the band's <a href="http://www.someundergroundbandspatheticallyprogrammedhomepage.com">old homepage</a>.

Of course this includes checking if the URL still works and should be present in the additional notes at all.

EpicDismemberment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:25 am 

Thanks. I'm on it.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:44 am 

NOTE: If the URL is external (points to another website), a good practice is to make it open in a new tab. You can accomplish this by including the following attribute:

<a href="http://www.someundergroundbandspatheticallyprogrammedhomepage.com" target="_blank">old homepage</a>.

EpicDismemberment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:56 am 

OK, thanks, will do. Now I'm dealing with bandcamp links.

The Red Tower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:15 am 

EpicDismemberment wrote:

I don't want to forestall the mods but imho bandcamp links that are present in the additional notes of individual releases should be removed for the sake of simplicity. It should be sufficient if a band's main bandcamp site is linked in the "Related Links" section. Someone seconds that?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:22 am 

Agreed.

AddWittyUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:06 pm 

Per Diamhea, in response to my (many, many) questions:

CD-R, not CDr, CDR, CD-r. Goes in VD ("version description") (and check if release is actually set to CD yet).
Limited edition goes in VD. Moreover, when the number of copies field is filled in, Limited edition should be in the VD (it often isn't)
Cardboard sleeve goes in VD.
Promo goes in VD. As Promo, not Promotional, Promotional CD, Promo CD or what have ye. (In the latter two cases, check if format is set yet)
Digipak, not Digipack. Goes in VD.

All stuff you come across in additional notes a lot when cleaning up, especially when searching for format-in-notes.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:40 pm 

The Red Tower wrote:
EpicDismemberment wrote:

I don't want to forestall the mods but imho bandcamp links that are present in the additional notes of individual releases should be removed for the sake of simplicity. It should be sufficient if a band's main bandcamp site is linked in the "Related Links" section. Someone seconds that?

Yes, but I put "Bandcamp" in the version description to clarify the source of the "digital" version, as it could come from many sources.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Sang Dalang Abu
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:12 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
it can now be applied correctly as the format.

so Metal Archives in earlier times cannot apply format album? :scratch:

The Red Tower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:40 pm 

Paw wrote:
Diamhea wrote:
it can now be applied correctly as the format.

so Metal Archives in earlier times cannot apply format album? :scratch:

This feature was introduced in May 2014. :nods:

Diamhea wrote:
Yes, but I put "Bandcamp" in the version description to clarify the source of the "digital" version, as it could come from many sources.

Yes I do it that way as well.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:28 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
I would say that nine out of ten of these are just users dumping URLs in a promotional/spamming manner, or due to general ignorance.

I've always added the bandcamp link as: Available on <a href="URL">Bandcamp</a>.
Such links also appear on that list, and I'm afraid users are going to remove them too.

EDIT: They've started removing them indeed.
A few examples:
Those were links added by either you or me.
http://www.metal-archives.com/history/v ... /id/508152
http://www.metal-archives.com/history/v ... /id/506909
http://www.metal-archives.com/history/v ... /id/511213
http://www.metal-archives.com/history/v ... /id/526121
http://www.metal-archives.com/history/v ... /id/503782

PS.
The Red Tower wrote:
It should be sufficient if a band's main bandcamp site is linked in the "Related Links" section. Someone seconds that?

It would if the bandcamp page (linked in the notes) was always the band's, but that's not the case. Some albums are published online by legitimate labels; others by hosts promoting/helping local artists. Removing the link in such instances will result in the loss of valuable information.

PPS.
- People are just removing links without adding "iTunes", "Bandcamp", etc. to the "version description" field.
- People are simply removing links instead of truncating them properly.
Is this the idea?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:35 pm 

Bandcamp links are also constantly being deleted and revised, so direct links are oftentimes rendered obsolete. I used to add the direct link (as you did) but I stopped doing this quite a while ago.

Users should be adding the digital source (iTunes, Bandcamp) to the VD, so they need to be notified (which I just did).

The Red Tower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:57 am 

Antioch wrote:
It would if the bandcamp page (linked in the notes) was always the band's, but that's not the case. Some albums are published online by legitimate labels; others by hosts promoting/helping local artists. Removing the link in such instances will result in the loss of valuable information.

Good point... On the other hand the label which released the album is (or should be) given at the album's MA page and the label's bandcamp site should be linked via the label's MA page, as it's the case for example with Stormspell Records.

Of course it is valuable information but I think most people should be able to use a search engine and type "band name" "label name" "album name" and thus find the site for (legally) downloading/buying. But maybe I'm damn wrong with this assumption... :scratch:

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:59 am 

I've also realized that the count is far lesser than 7000, since the search picks up the links that are even obfuscated by the HTML tagging (properly in many cases). I ran a search for "Bandcamp" and only got around 2000.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:01 pm 

Code:

http://www.metal-archives.com/search/ad ... re=#albums

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:21 pm 

The Red Tower wrote:
Of course it is valuable information but I think most people should be able to use a search engine and type "band name" "label name" "album name" and thus find the site for (legally) downloading/buying. But maybe I'm damn wrong with this assumption... :scratch:

That's as maybe, but I had MA's welfare in mind not Google's.
http://www.metal-archives.com/content/support

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:08 pm 

oneyoudontknow wrote:

Uh, duh.

There are a lot of variations that can be run through the search to get more results, but not all entries that pop up are invalid. In the "Bandcamp" case, nearly all of them need to be moved to the VD and removed from the notes, so that's a good starting point.

Last.fm

The Red Tower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:47 am 

Antioch wrote:
The Red Tower wrote:

That's as maybe, but I had MA's welfare in mind not Google's.
http://www.metal-archives.com/content/support

I know... Looks like it's not that easy to find a consensus regarding links to bandcamp in the additional notes (valuable information vs. links becoming obsolete) Don't know if a guideline concerning links in the add. notes in general would be "too much rules"?

I'd say linking to an individual release at a label's bandcamp site is alright if the band hasn't got one, so I second Antioch's opinion. If someone finds obsolete links he should fix/delete/report them (should be a no-brainer, actually).

But I don't make the rules and I personally won't mess around with those links at this point. Just racking my brain a bit...

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:46 am 

The Red Tower wrote:
Looks like it's not that easy to find a consensus regarding links to bandcamp in the additional notes

If in doubt, follow Diamhea's example, TRT. I'm no rule enforcer either.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:39 pm 

The Red Tower wrote:
Looks like it's not that easy to find a consensus regarding links to bandcamp in the additional notes (valuable information vs. links becoming obsolete)

Says who? Let's continue clearing the additional notes and entering "Bandcamp" in the VD.

Last.fm

EpicDismemberment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:11 pm 

New task?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:15 am 

Hardly. That has been brought up more than once in this thread alone.

Worth a mention for those clearing the Bandcamp URLs from the notes: Don't forget to enter "Bandcamp" in the version description as you clear the notes.

Last.fm

AddWittyUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:54 pm 

A large portion of what is returned by Notes-searches for Studio and "recorded at" can be moved to the Recording Info field proper. Or just plain removed from notes, if it's already in the recording info field. (There are, of course, exceptions. As always, really) There's a fair list of similar searches to catch the rest of them. (One could use plain "recorded", but that requires a lot of manual vetting, since it's used in a number of other contexts like "re-recording", too.)

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:09 pm 

Another task now that we can search band notes: http://www.metal-archives.com/search/ad ... ame=#bands

Proper HTML is (example given is [email protected]) <b>Contact:</b> <a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a>

EDIT: HellBlazer fixed it so that email addresses automatically get converted into links. So this task isn't necessary.

Last.fm

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:22 pm 

Is it at all possible to have a contact field as is the case with labels?
Or is that too much work?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:52 pm 

Antioch wrote:
Is it at all possible to have a contact field as is the case with labels?
Or is that too much work?

Maybe someday, but for new all is well.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:59 am 

Okay got another task. Feel free to nuke band bios that aren't objective; the type that are copy-pasted from other sites with little/no formatting or proofreading. For example, look at this heinous garbage that passes as a "biography:"

Quote:
Nequicia was formed in 2000, when drummer Gaston, who was already playing with guitarrist Leonardo, called musicians to start a new death metal into Brujeria's style. Vocalist Facundo Gomez (ex-SADDEN (Doom Metal), NECRONOMICON (Thrash Metal), SERPENT DIE (Thrash Metal), CIELO OSCURO (Doom Metal) and bassist Pablo Mamprin joined them.-

The wide range of musical influences converged in a prototype-band, that added many elements from other styles from death, thrash, heavy and hardcore to jazz, flamenco, blues and funk, being this mix of influences the birth of a new style, which was labeled by the band as SICK METAL.-

After a 50 name pre-selection NEQUICIA was chosen, old spanish synonym for evil or perversity.-

The band starts playing live and that year they release PURA MALDAD (Pure evil), demo that opened an era of non stop gigs of three years, with live shows in Buenos Aires, even playing with CARAJO two times and in Z FEST, in front of 2500 people, NEQUICIA being the only extreme band in the fest.-

In 2002 the band started to record their first live album, but economical crisis that afected Argentina didn't allow the band to go on, besides many arguments between the band's musicians on the mastering and mixing of the songs. This era ends when Pablo leaves the band, as he was not happy with the mixing, and Muneneori enters the banda, first on bass, then on guitar and Facundo P. as new bassist. This affirms the line up for two years.-

2004 was a productive year for NEQUICIA, as, besides they set up a powerful sound, they get to play for suppot act with BRUJERIA in their first Argentinian gig; this was also the year for their first gig with christian metal bands, rare fact as the singer is mostly know as El Cura (The priest), because he desses up as a priest for their live performances.-

Two months after the Brujeria shows, Munenory leaves the band, and right after that Facundo P. also leaves the band in very bad relations with the rest.-

Band takes Jose Lagarto Gonzalez, (Ex-SANEDRÍN (Brutal Death), SAGRADA PERVERSIÓN (Brutal Death), now BAGRONK (Death Grind), BUCAL DEFECATION(Death), by the beggining of 2005 -year of big changes on the band-, they release the compilatory CD DESORDEN MENTAL (Mental Disorder), including rarities, acoustic versions, live songs and some covers; Fabián Cejas (Ex-DEVASTACION, JINETEANDO) in rithmic guitar and Javier Figueroa in back vocals were recluted for the band, both from more extreme and technical styles, so the band starts to leave behind their original sound and influences, adding more violent influences, also added by Jose Lagarto, who in aougust leaves the band to dedicate to his personal project, BAGRONK.-

By october, after a tense internal situation due to personal and musical issues, drummer and lead guitarrist leave the band, being replaced by Damian C (Ex-LAGASH (Heavy Metal), actual NEMESIX(Heavy Metal) and few moths after Javier Figueroa leaves the band.-

After auditioning for bass players, Germ3n (Ex-BLASFEMIA (Grunge), actual CAYM (Grunge), gets the vacancy, adding to the band other attitude, as algon with Fabian they have an instrumental technique that let them evolute to a more precise, intense and coordinated sound, and at the same time more violent, crude and extreme, leaving behind once and for all those "very-far-from-metal" elements, and stabilyzing the line-up.-

Last, Leandro, (NEMESIX) enters the band and now the band is getting ready for fothcoming gigs.-

After a long-time silence, NEQUICIA opnes 2006 editing their new EP, EVOLUTION, that has two re-versions of old songs, two covers Poison Heart (RAMONES) y Bark At The Moon (OZZY OSBOURNE), and a new song; this EP signs the beggining of a new era for the band, from the esthetic point of view as the leave aside 95% of what the band used for five years, including the logo, as, due to the circumstances, a so-shocking change of style makes all previous musical and esthetic ways, and also evoluted into a more proffessional, responsible and stable band, musically and personalle, as the musicians have the same purpouse: Nequicia.

If there is any mention of self-promotional nomenclature, the bio likely needs to be removed in its entirety, or at least modified accordingly. Try and avoid older bands (let's say pre-'95) as many of them are now obscure enough that the information very well may not exist elsewhere. I admit I am generalizing a bit here but I trust those with the ability to modify the field to pass reasonable judgement calls. Furthermore, I encourage you to post in this thread if you are ever unsure.

Last.fm

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:04 pm 

Just an addendum here. Don't outright delete a biography without first seeing if there's any information worth saving and rephrasing to be objective. Information that might be worth saving is stuff that isn't covered by the site already (so no redundant information), but still might be seen as interesting or valuable to a person wanting to know more about the band.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:09 pm 

Tons of recording/misc staff roles that need to be properly added to the lineup, or at least removed from the album notes if redundant:

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:31 am 

Speaking of which, in cases where a band's credited for recording and/or production along with someone else, which practice is preferable when the producer's name already shows in the line-up?
- Produced by Sleepers Awake and Joe Viers. / Produced by Joe Viers and Sleepers Awake.
- Co-produced by Sleepers Awake.
I've always used the first (http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Sl ... ion/413599), but then I've never been completely sure.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:49 pm 

In those instances just say "Co-produced/mixed/whatever by BAND X." Crediting individuals isn't necessary since they should be added to the lineup. Although either method works in theory, let's try and avoid redundancy, and I don't see compelling evidence that supports leaving the primary producer's name in that field.

Last.fm

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:55 pm 

Sounds good.

0th
Suicidal Angel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:35 am 

There are some "{label x}" inserted to additional notes:

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:07 pm 

BlackenedZeroth wrote:
There are some "{label x}" inserted to additional notes:

Those are a barrel of fun. Half of them are legitimately there for multi-label releases, but the other half are just there with no context.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next