Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:30 am 

droneriot wrote:
Not sure you understand what trolling is.

Well, having a very bad opinion about something that is universally liked or a very good opinion about something that's universally hated would seem insincere to most people, so writing a review in that manner would count as trolling.

My definition for trolling has always been posting bullshit for the sake of posting bullshit, which is kind of incomplete, I know. However, I fail to see how a neutral review would count as an act of trolling. :???:
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:44 am 

Oh nevermind, I thought your last sentence was sarcasm and you called him a troll for writing a 59% review, which just puzzled me.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:55 am 

droneriot wrote:
Oh nevermind, I thought your last sentence was sarcasm and you called him a troll for writing a 59% review, which just puzzled me.

I see. Perhaps I should try to express my ideas more clearly...

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:37 pm 

Lich Coldheart wrote:
Can't believe Human666 actually gave a medium score (59%) on his Iron Savior review...

Lack of originality, almost plagiarism, is to blame it seems.
Other than that he describes it as "decent", "quite good" (production), "solid" (guitar sound), "fast paced aggressive riffs", "ballsy voice", "powerful and dynamic" (drumming), "enjoyable" to the extent of having it played at a "hard rock pub", and apparently invigorating enough for a "gym session".
Sounds quite positive actually - despite the below-60 score - especially to those who won't seek originality in power metal. :rolleyes:

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:51 pm 

Antioch wrote:
Lich Coldheart wrote:
Can't believe Human666 actually gave a medium score (59%) on his Iron Savior review...

Lack of originality, almost plagiarism, is to blame it seems.
Other than that he describes it as "decent", "quite good" (production), "solid" (guitar sound), "fast paced aggressive riffs", "ballsy voice", "powerful and dynamic" (drumming), "enjoyable" to the extent of having it played at a "hard rock pub", and apparently invigorating enough for a "gym session".
Sounds quite positive actually - despite the below-60 score - especially to those who won't seek originality in power metal. :rolleyes:

He seems to have been an honest reviewer during his 2007-2012 reviewing era. What happened to him, I wonder?

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:04 pm 

Lich Coldheart wrote:
He seems to have been an honest reviewer during his 2007-2012 reviewing era. What happened to him, I wonder?

I think he honestly dislikes the album. My post wasn't meant to ascribe dishonesty to the man, yet to question his argument. Just to be clear.

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:34 pm 

Antioch wrote:
Lich Coldheart wrote:

I think he honestly dislikes the album. My post wasn't meant to ascribe dishonesty to the man, yet to question his argument. Just to be clear.

I see, but I referred to all of his latest reviews. I mean, he might be honest, but he has written a lot of one-digit reviews lately while in the past he had only a few and I'm not even talking about his ratings proportionally... But his rating style may have changed a lot, especially if we take into account that 4-year gap. :scratch:

I've spent too much time talking about Human666's reviews, anyway. I wish him all the luck, the fame and to be mentioned in this forum as often as possible. Unless he does something really surprising I'm out of this discussion for good.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:48 pm 

I think H666 has reached some sort of trolling nirvana when he's getting mentions in this thread for the simple fact that he gave a middling score.

Let it the hell go.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:54 pm 

Jesus, my latest review got, like, nearly instantly accepted. Whoever was in charge of that one, thanks a bunch.

~Guest 378771
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:38 am 

I was told to copy and paste my review for 'Forteresse - Les Hivers de Notre Epoque' so it could be made acceptable

Forteresse is a Québécois Nationalist band who play a style of atmospheric black metal with a high emphasis on abmience and create a cold atmosphere through their use of raw production and wall-of-sound guitars. Their riffs are not very complex, however since they mainly consist of a low end guitar and a high end simultaneously being playing, and given the context of their overall sound, they give the listener a cold and intense feeling. However, their ambient style of atmospheric black metal was a style that was not all that present on their debut album, 'Metal Noir Québécois'. It was established on this album right here, and good god did they do a good job at establishing it.

The intro track is a nice ambient track that sets the tone for the album perfectly, and let's the listen know what they're in for. It clocks in at nearly 5 minutes, so it might be difficult for some listeners to stomach. However I feel that since the songs on the album are very ambient and repetitive, I welcome it with open arms.

The next track is a 9 minute atmospheric black metal epic, with very repetitive riffs and a high emphasis on ambience and atmosphere. Although despite its song length, there are only very few riffs in this song. However the production and the overall sound of the music itself makes the repetition trance-enduring and makes you feel like you're trapped in a blizzard out in rural Quebec, struggling to survive and find shelter. The vocals on this album also feel cold, and do nothing but contribute to an already dark and freezing atmosphere.

The song itself starts off with a riff with drums playing a simple pattern while the riff gradually builds up the song. Then after a minute or so, a sample kicks in of what sounds like a Québécois person delivering a politically charged statement, although since it's in French it's hard to tell. Afterwards the kicks in, as the double-bass drums and vocals come in. The whole song gives off a very cold and ambient atmosphere that it extremely trance-inducing. Probably my favourite song on the album. Afterwards, we have an ambient interlude. Nothing too special, but it does not feel out of place in the context of the album, and contributes to the overall atmosphere the entire album delivers.

The next track is a 7 and a half minute piece that is composed in a similar way to the 2nd track. However, even though they have their similarities, this song feels more beautiful and atmospheric than track 2, which felt more ambient and trance-inducing. The songs song incredibly similar, and if they're listened to outside the context of the album, their similarities my turn some people off. But in the context of the album, they work magnificently as the album feels like a single piece of freezing atmospheric black metal rather than just a collection of songs.

There's not really much I can say about the other songs as, as I've said before, they sound incredibly similar to the tracks before. But on this album specifically, I welcome the repetitiveness with open arms as it contributes to the overall cold atmosphere the album delivers. In other words, don't listen to this track by track; you've got to listen to it as a whole to really appreciate it.

Overall, this is one of the greatest atmospheric black metal albums I've ever had the pleasure to listen to. The atmosphere is unlike any other, and the riffs create beautiful soundscapes. An album like this comes very rarely in the world of atmospheric black metal; the execution of creating this freezing and dark atmosphere is extremely unique and is not often seen in atmospheric black metal. This album took atmospheric black metal to a new level, and while isn't the most innovative album ever, is a beautiful and haunting piece of work that I will hold future atmospheric black metal releases to. Recommended wholeheartedly for fans of ambient black metal and ambient/atmospheric music in general.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:11 pm 

Whoever told you to copy and paste your review was talking about this thread.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:13 pm 

And, Celtic False, if you could spoiler this or something while you're at it, that would be great thanks. See you in the workshop.

Also, could you include the rejection notice (though I have a pretty strong guess), please?

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:44 pm 

:lol: Wyrm. I should get back into the workshop. I quite liked doing it for the while I was in there but then I just stopped.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:08 pm 

I'd appreciate the help. :)

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:10 pm 

The title to ConorFynes' ItNE review irks me. The cosmos is further out than the moon, how can something fall short and yet go further out? Surely it would be an overshot!

Quibble done.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:40 pm 

No, there's plenty of cosmos between Earth and Moon.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:44 pm 

droneriot wrote:
No, there's plenty of cosmos between Earth and Moon.

I thought that was merely the sky or the atmosphere, with the cosmos referring to outer space.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:50 pm 

The atmosphere ends at about 100km from Earth, from there it's another 384,299km (on average) of outer space until you reach the Moon.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:58 pm 

droneriot wrote:
The atmosphere ends at about 100km from Earth, from there it's another 384,299km (on average) of outer space until you reach the Moon.

Huh. Shit. Didn't know it was that far out. :lol:

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:50 pm 

Is it just me, or is this review kinda missing the point? Like, he points out the lack of aggressiveness and bombast as negatives, when those weren't part of the band's aim at all. Disparaging The Warning for being a subdued album is like shitting on Maiden for being too melodic.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:59 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Is it just me, or is this review kinda missing the point? Like, he points out the lack of aggressiveness and bombast as negatives, when those weren't part of the band's aim at all. Disparaging The Warning for being a subdued album is like shitting on Maiden for being too melodic.

Eh, if the album wasn't riff-led or aggressive in the slightest, and their intention was to make something that is guitar-led, then that is a criticism that can be leveled at the album. I don't think The Warning really falls into the categories of 'not even slightly riff-driven' or 'vocally orientated' though, so that is a bit off the mark.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:33 pm 

That's the problem with USPM fans. The music is wonderful and they often have great recs for new, weird underground shit. But a lot of the time it turns into a contest of 'what band has the most technical, crazy riffs?' with nothing else taken into consideration, and even stuff like early Queensryche is looked at as being too mainstream in some way. That review kinda exemplifies the attitude I've seen from some USPM fans.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:38 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
That's the problem with USPM fans. The music is wonderful and they often have great recs for new, weird underground shit. But a lot of the time it turns into a contest of 'what band has the most technical, crazy riffs?' with nothing else taken into consideration, and even stuff like early Queensryche is looked at as being too mainstream in some way. That review kinda exemplifies the attitude I've seen from some USPM fans.

I know nothing about USPM. Is it a particularly technical sect of metal? Even so, just because one band is ultra technical, doesn't mean that everything else is bad, right? Technicality isn't all there is to music! Also, calling old Queensryche mainstream, fucking hell. I know one thing about USPM, and that is that old Queens were anything but that.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:19 am 

Psychotic Fates's review wrote:
A critical analysis of everything reveals a pop band, but not a happy one. The proof is in the constant hooks and catchiness, melody over heaviness, huge choruses, unobtrusive leads and a general "safe" sound. These 'Rÿches understood crossover appeal and how it accompanies hype, being just metal enough to cater to the bullet-belters.

Looks like he's pissed that they did something different.

Napalm_Satan wrote:
I know nothing about USPM.

Spend some time in the h/p/s thread. Run a search in that thread just on that acronym. I think you'll enjoy what you find. Happy hunting!

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:46 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/C ... ean/373363

Nice succinct review. I'll look out for more stuff by him in the future.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:03 pm 

I like stainedclass2112's reviews. He may be largely going for classic albums but his reviews get the job done well, and carry a certain youthful enthusiasm to them that I can relate to.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:17 pm 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
I know nothing about USPM... I know one thing about USPM.

Which one is it? :-P

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:43 pm 

The former. That should say 'I know one thing about the old 'ryche'.

Whoops! :lol:

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:43 pm 

Celtic_False wrote:
I was told to copy and paste my review for 'Forteresse - Les Hivers de Notre Epoque' so it could be made acceptable

Napalm_Satan wrote:
The title to ConorFynes' ItNE review irks me. The cosmos is further out than the moon, how can something fall short and yet go further out? Surely it would be an overshot!

This page seems almost to be turning into a warped discussion of Pokémon.

Quote:

Sort of strange that you'd compare that album to Maiden, whom it was itself comparable to. It is like a subdued version of Maiden. In any case, while Tate's delivery was generally fairly active and 'aggressive' in its way, and you could say that the rest of the band were mostly leaving them alone, and the album was going for some amount of bombast and drama rather than being a later Fates Warning album, it does seem a bit strange that they're essentially detracting from Queensrÿche for not being Psychotic Waltz or earlier Fates Warning. The point by itself doesn't seem like the problem, but perhaps it's carried on too long.

Quote:
That's the problem with USPM fans. The music is wonderful and they often have great recs for new, weird underground shit. But a lot of the time it turns into a contest of 'what band has the most technical, crazy riffs?' with nothing else taken into consideration

You doubt that's a concern, then they wouldn't like most USPM. They aren't fans of Dragonforce, or, better, technical thrash.

Quote:
Looks like he's pissed that they did something different.

Queensrÿche's album is quite a departure from what they might associate with metal, being about victimhood, whining about this, and mostly passivity, the guitars are subdued, and in brief it does seem valid to note that it has a lot in common with pop music, although to be fair it's not particularly cheerful or meant for enjoyment, mostly, either. For a 'progressive' album, it is really simple, as also compared to albums by Iron Maiden or likewise at the time. Most of their observations about the music aren't that misleading, you just seem to have a problem with them using the term. However, QR songs generally were metal in some ways, and unhappy or unenthusiastic in such a way rather than having the appeal characteristic of pop music, and could transition to a softer form without coming across like a pop song, apart from perhaps 'The Lady Wore Black' which is the same either way. Metal fans might like it for emulating pop, pop fans wouldn't prefer it to actual pop, which would rather detract from it because they would have no reason to listen to it instead.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:35 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Chthe%27ilist/Le_dernier_cr%C3%A9puscule/545933/TheDean/373363

Nice succinct review. I'll look out for more stuff by him in the future.

I'm not sure I understand this argument.
Quote:
Every moment within each track is at odds with the next, from the out of place solos, to the haphazardly juxtaposed influences to the melodic oddities which cap off one motif before belligerently stumbling on to the next.

Didn't Timeghoul have that as well though? Tumultuous Travelings was filled with disjointed stops and gos, to a much more noticeable degree than here, and that didn't interrupt any enjoyment of that demo.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:36 pm 

2Eagle333 wrote:
Celtic_False wrote:

Napalm_Satan wrote:

This page seems almost to be turning into a warped discussion of Pokémon.

o_O 'WTF'... I choose you!

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:15 pm 

I just can't be assed with any reviews bashing Reign In Blood because they are simply wrong. Considering that this album came out in '86, you could tell that it was indeed different than everything that came out that year, so I don't know how anyone can say that the band actually put no effort into making it. It was literally an album that redefined the entire genre, for fuck's sake.

In his review, stainedclass2112 wrote:
There are not enough riffs or thrash sections on this album for my tastes. If you stack this album against Eternal Nightmare or Beneath the Remains, or even Hell Awaits, Reign in Blood doesn't even compare to those.

Yeah, an album from a third tier thrash band (Vio-Lence) is better than the universal gold standard for thrash metal. Good one. :durr:

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:22 pm 

I suspect it would cause less distress if his opinions weren't phrased as absolutes.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:45 pm 

Of course, nobody's opinions are fact. But, some are just flat out irritating. Oh well...

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:31 am 

88panzerfaust666 wrote:
...clearly studied the Jewish and Christian stories and traditions. Like most black metal bands NSBM or not, who sing about the Jews, they usually sing about killing Jews, etc. But no, Gelal only mocks them, exposing the Jews and the Christians as the swindlers they truly are. For example in the song "The Red Heifer" it talks about the Jewish sacrifice of a heifer to cleanse themselves when coming in contact with a corpse. Gelal does this mocking in an artful way. Also in the song "The Vultures of Misfortune" where it talks about the tradition of the rabbi performing the circumcision on the newborn, in the Rabbis disgusting ways.

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK? Isn't there an anti-rasicm/nazi policy on the site or something? You can clearly see this guy is antisemitic/antichristianic.

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:01 am 

Hullo, comrades. Care to give any thoughts on this?

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/B ... oad/327181

*By the way... fuck, I forgot to mention Ildjarn.

ingmar birdman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:47 am 

raspberrysoda wrote:
88panzerfaust666 wrote:
...clearly studied the Jewish and Christian stories and traditions. Like most black metal bands NSBM or not, who sing about the Jews, they usually sing about killing Jews, etc. But no, Gelal only mocks them, exposing the Jews and the Christians as the swindlers they truly are. For example in the song "The Red Heifer" it talks about the Jewish sacrifice of a heifer to cleanse themselves when coming in contact with a corpse. Gelal does this mocking in an artful way. Also in the song "The Vultures of Misfortune" where it talks about the tradition of the rabbi performing the circumcision on the newborn, in the Rabbis disgusting ways.

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK? Isn't there an anti-rasicm/nazi policy on the site or something? You can clearly see this guy is antisemitic/antichristianic.

Man, I love that album a lot but that is a really bad and badly-written review. I saw the username and I was like... oh boy.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:45 am 

Oh man, that review is bad. Really bad.

Quote:
It has the Swedish death metal guitar sound to it. I suspect Gelal used the famous guitar pedal "Boss HM-2" to get that incredible sound.

It sounds nothing like an HM-2 nor any iconic Swedish death metal I can think of.

Quote:
The bass tracks in the album cannot be heard very much as that is the case for most metal albums.

The bass is quite audible, and it has always been fairly easy to hear and distinguish in GBK.

Quote:
Gulag's drumming is much better and more articulate than The Black Lourde of Crucifixion's drumming as his drumming at times sounded off and a tad sloppy at times.

Speaking ill of the Black Lourde immediately discredits him!

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:41 am 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
I like stainedclass2112's reviews. He may be largely going for classic albums but his reviews get the job done well, and carry a certain youthful enthusiasm to them that I can relate to.

Thanks, I think.

Rosenthorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:39 am 

...And with that, Master of Puppets dips below the 80% mark.

Obey the dolphin!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, 261, 262 ... 520  Next