Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:44 pm 

Y'all realize raising the minimum standards of acceptance won't decrease the amount of mod work, right? If anything, checking reviews against even more rigid standards would only increase the amount of time spent going over reviews. That's what's at the heart of the issue here.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:54 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Antioch wrote:
Wouldn't it be a better idea if you started writing decent, detailed biographies instead? I mean, seriously, is that where your loyalty stems from? Reviews?

Yes, if a site is partly based on a community element, a lot of people come for that. That's why a lot of people quit last.fm when they completely did away with the community element.

You're suggesting that reviews are the only "community element" the Archives offers, and without them the website would be void of any form of worthwhile communication. So when people come to the forum to exchange ideas, is that not considered a "community element"?

Metal_Detector wrote:
Y'all realize raising the minimum standards of acceptance won't decrease the amount of mod work, right? If anything, checking reviews against even more rigid standards would only increase the amount of time spent going over reviews. That's what's at the heart of the issue here.

I thought the heart of the issue was having to deal with all the hassle that dealing with the reviews generated.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:22 pm 

Having never done the job, I may be way off, but I'm not sure how stricter standards would increase work. The easiest method is to have no reviews. The second easiest method is to accept all reviews. After that the reviews must be read in order to be judged, but higher standards don't necessarily mean more work.

For instance, I'd prefer to see the gamut of shit-talking, meandering jabbermouth reviews put in the fire unless they are particularly substantial or unique, but they won't be because they meet the current standards. That type of writing seems more appropriate for a personal blog or casual site than one as well organized as this. Rambling crap could receive a rejection notice like, "Blog material. Style unfit for M-A." That doesn't take long to write, the review can likely be skimmed, and the resulting standard is significantly higher. It must be infuriating to waste time panning for passable technicalities in an otherwise obviously weak review.

I know I'm humorless on this topic, and I don't want to seem overly censorious of personal style, but a general encouragement toward a "reference section" standard doesn't seem out of place for an encyclopaedia.

Rosenthorn wrote:
it also gives us a simple way to write and publish our own reviews, if we get inspired to do so. I don't think I would bother writing a review if it were on a personal blog that would get 10 views a month, but now I know that whenever someone wants to look up Savatage's discography here, they are only a click away from reading my opinion

I quote this to make a general point. I agree that it gives hobbyists an opportunity, but I encourage reviewers to think about it the other way around and to put the overall quality of M-A above your personal visibility or "contributer cool" points. It seems to me that a review here should be presented in a form that aims at upholding or improving the standard of the site, as well as enriching the general experience and education of a person dabbling in or studying the realms of the riff. Reviews should serve a broader function than simple personal exposure and a platform for personal expression.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:52 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Yeah certainly no point visiting the site daily anymore, just when needed.

Personally, I visit the site daily for the forums. I read reviews "just when needed."

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:53 pm 

Antioch wrote:
Wouldn't it be a better idea if you started writing decent, detailed biographies instead? I mean, seriously, is that where your loyalty stems from? Reviews?

The problem I see with having a more thorough biography instead of reviews is that it would generate an endless shitstorm of work for the staff and high ranking users. You think the report que is bad now? Just wait until there is a billion reports flowing in every day because user x doesn't like how it's written. Or when there's editing wars between users because they feel something should be worded differently. Or because one user believes certain information to be pertinent while another doesn't. Who's to decide what should and shouldn't be there? Even among the staff there will be a difference of opinion. If the site goes that route might as well just lock the bio section to anyone below knight status, at the very least. But again this would increase the work load on the staff exponentially.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:08 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Reviews should serve a broader function than simple personal exposure and a platform for personal expression.
Otherwise they shouldn't have a place on an encyclopaedic database.

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
If the site goes that route might as well just lock the bio section to anyone below knight status, at the very least. But again this would increase the work load on the staff exponentially.
Rumor has it that the workload is being distributed as we speak.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:33 pm 

after reading Napalm_Satan's Darkness Descends review, I agree - baby with the bath water, dudes.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:36 pm 

That is a review I am sure to rewrite in the next few days.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:40 pm 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
That is a review I am sure to rewrite in the next few days.

You might not get a chance to...
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:42 pm 

Yeah, sure...

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:57 pm 

His work disappearing would definitely be a silver lining of the reviews getting deleted. The Darkness Descends review is possibly the most ridiculous review I've ever seen on this site. HEY GUYS I'M USING CAPS LOCK AND I'M SLAUGHTERING A SACRED COW PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO ME. OK NOW I'M USING CAPS LOCK AND BOLD IS ANYONE PAYING ATTENTION TO ME YET???. The premise to most of his arguments are flawed to say the least and it just seems like he is being really dramatic and "controversial" just to get attention. You can't make out most of the riffs? Uh, pretty sure that's a problem with you and not the album. Everyone I've talked to about it can make them out just fine. I do like the album, although I'm not particularly attached to it and I do think it has some flaws. It's just, come on dude. Attention whoring at its most blatant.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:01 pm 

Keep the hate flowin', I too have disowned the review.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:10 pm 

That's good. Nothing personal, I'm sure you can figure out why people would give you shit for it. From a technical perspective, you're a good writer. You just really have to say from the blatant hyperbole and making everything melodramatic.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:10 pm 

Then why leave it up?

I guess I'm starting to see the point in doing away with three reviews, especially when there's just blatant shit free flowing around. Still don't want to see it happen but when you get the attitude of "hey I'm gonna right tripe for attention and then own it but still passive aggressively bitch when people call me out on it" like an unnamed reviewer here then yeah.

Azmodes wrote:

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:14 pm 

I'm trying to strike a balance between more cold, hard clinical description and just a sprig of expression/shouting, and at that point I overdid the latter dramatically. Yeah, it isn't very good. I hope my rewrite will suffice!

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:16 pm 

Well, I only became motivated to do something rather than leaving it be after a chat with Zodi. The review is gone. And how am I passive aggressive? I am agreeing with dystopia.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:22 pm 

Three months after I started writing reviews and it turns out they might be taken away. Right when I was beginning to improve my style a bit too. Either way, I sure had fun while it lasted. I do hope some sort of compromise is reached.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:28 pm 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
Well, I only became motivated to do something rather than leaving it be after a chat with Zodi. The review is gone. And how am I passive aggressive? I am agreeing with dystopia.

But will this attitude last? I just hope you stick to it this time rather than writing another 4,000 word diatribe about how a classic album has no redeeming value, and then immediately "disowning" it the next day. It's just like, jesus, you don't have to make everything so public and so melodramatic.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:35 pm 

For what it's worth, I never cared about the reviews since day 0. They were never an important feature to me, and I never read them because most of them are tl;dr anyway. Just saying.

Thiestru wrote:
Deleting the reviews would be atrocious. 'Waaahhh, I have to work!' winge the anti-review moderators. Well, fuck off and resign then; you aren't important. This site would be castrated by the removal of reviews.

Oh fuck off, you have no idea what it's like being a mod. I cannot abide people talking out of their asses.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:43 pm 

Part of the difficulty with reviews has always been that the webmasters upheld the general ideas of accepting anything properly written, but neither has ever cared about reviews nor gotten involved in the moderation of them. Review policy has always been, more or less, the status quo of whoever handles the queue. We've had things like the ~25 review cap on albums enforced in practice for years while being anathema to our rules.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:43 pm 

@Morrigan: I've volunteered to help out, so I'm not talking out of my ass. Basically, you're accusing me of not knowing what it's like to work, and I damn well do. You just admitted you don't care about the issue being discussed, so you have nothing to add. Also, basically all this is is some people volunteering for a job, finding the job not to their liking, and instead of simply quitting, demanding that the entire job be erased. If one person is doing the lion's share of the work, then you folks need to sort things out in your own way, rather than dragging everything out in the open. You have not done this, so when an average proletarian from the public voices their opinion, you tell me to fuck off. I'd rather not, since I rather like this place. You, Hellblazer, and a ton of other people have done great things by creating this site and keeping it going. But if you invite public opinion, and then say 'fuck off' when you don't like what I have to say, well, fine, but that's on you.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:07 am 

Volunteering to moderate reviews is like trying to restore Ecce Homo.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:14 am 

Thiestru wrote:
@Morrigan: I've volunteered to help out, so I'm not talking out of my ass. Basically, you're accusing me of not knowing what it's like to work, and I damn well do. You just admitted you don't care about the issue being discussed, so you have nothing to add. Also, basically all this is is some people volunteering for a job, finding the job not to their liking, and instead of simply quitting, demanding that the entire job be erased. If one person is doing the lion's share of the work, then you folks need to sort things out in your own way, rather than dragging everything out in the open. You have not done this, so when an average proletarian from the public voices their opinion, you tell me to fuck off. I'd rather not, since I rather like this place. You, Hellblazer, and a ton of other people have done great things by creating this site and keeping it going. But if you invite public opinion, and then say 'fuck off' when you don't like what I have to say, well, fine, but that's on you.

You'll note that I didn't tell that to anyone else but you, so it's obviously not because of your dissenting opinion about the values of reviews, but rather your extremely disrespectful attitude towards moderators and the work that they do.

Btw, you are the one who used the words "fuck off" first. Addressing it to, guess who? Moderators who disagreed with your position. Yeah. Well, back at you, asshole.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:14 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Volunteering to moderate reviews is like trying to restore Ecce Homo.

Haha. I know I have no idea what the review queue looks like, but it seems like at least electing additional help before scrapping the whole feature would be the best move. I know people who don't actively participate in the site, but who use it primarily to read reviews. I honestly believe that MA would be hurt by the removal of the reviews feature, with site traffic dropping substantially. I mean, who checks this site solely to make sure a band is here? They want to know what people have to say about them.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:18 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Thiestru wrote:

You'll note that I didn't tell that to anyone else but you, so it's obviously not because of your dissenting opinion about the values of reviews, but rather your extremely disrespectful attitude towards moderators and the work that they do.

Btw, you are the one who used the words "fuck off" first. Addressing it to, guess who? Moderators who disagreed with your position. Yeah. Well, back at you, asshole.

All right, I'm sorry for being disrespectful. But on that note, you're no better, since you've shown quite the predilection to name-calling yourself. You've also conveniently ignored everything else I said in the above-quoted post. We've met in person, and got along quite well on that occasion, so your calling me an asshole and insisting on a belligerent tone is quite inappropriate.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:34 am 

Yeah, I have this predilection where I call people assholes when they engage in asshole behaviour such as disrespecting my staff. Shocking!

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:38 am 

Look, I'm sorry for that, and I've said so. If you won't accept that, that's your fault. And you've still ignored everything else I've said. It is now you who are engaging in 'asshole behavior'.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:32 am 

@Empyreal - Time will tell. I really have nothing more to say on the matter.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:32 am 

Well that's a pretty shitty attitude now isn't it.

Azmodes wrote:

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:44 am 

This conversation has gone extremely out of hand, by mods and regular users. It's damaging. I think everyone needs to take a breath. :)

I'm all for keeping the reviews since I don't mind reading them, especially BastardHead's ones because they make me laugh, and I think having them around doesn't contaminate the neutral, factual information that the encyclopaedia provides. Any outsider who truly thinks that clearly doesn't know the meaning of the word "encyclopaedia." I'm not even close to the most prolific writer, and I'm the first to admit that I'm hardly the best reviewer, let along top 10 or 20. However, I do enjoy writing when I have the shot of inspiration. I like reading them. I like checking average scores, especially if I'm at the metal store in Sydney and I find something that catches my eye. The reviews are pretty handy that way.

Having said all that, if the reviews are actually deleted, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I'll have no avenue to write anymore, and it will be unfortunate seeing them gone, but it won't diminish my thoughts on the site itself. It's still going to be the most invaluable tool to find new metal music, reviews or no reviews.

If the reviews remain, someone other than Diamhea needs to do the work. It's pretty clear who does most of the accepting and rejecting. The entire queue can't be overseen by just one man.

Can we get back to discussing reviews as they're accepted? Like what this thread used to be? Please? :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

klun222
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:29 am 

I agree, this conversation descends into stupidity. The owners and the mods have to clear their own issues.
I already told what do I think of our mods. The thing you have to do is to distrubute the work between all mods.
If there is not enough of them, there are some qualificied users that voulentered to become moderators.

And for Napalm_Satan's review I think its not his fault since THE MODS have approved his review. Its the mods fault this review got accepted, you guys have alowed this kind of stupidity.
If nobody tells Napalm_Satan that he is wrong and that he cant do that anymore, then he will keep doing it, especialy since he doesnt know that he did something wrong.
In conclusion: ban trolls, those from who you are reiciving threats and dont alow stupidity.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:59 am 

so zodi pulled my (negative) ceremony of opposites review yesterday.
im completely sure he did it to please his corporate masters after all he is the one who reviewed illud 100% to make dimwitted MA visiting fools buy the record.
People have said before that he is an erratic mod before and here we have just all the more evidence for it. My review was fine prob one of my better ones even. If this doesnt show that the review queue team is in crisis than i don't know what is.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:07 pm 

"The riff around say the one minute mark of the aforementioned song reminds me of terrible proto-nu metal bands that I won't even bother to look up to make sure I am mentioning the right names."

I was serious that this needs some revision. :boo:

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:45 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Any outsider who truly thinks that clearly doesn't know the meaning of the word "encyclopaedia."

As a matter of fact, insiders, i.e. a few mods, thought that; outsiders just thought that reviews imbued with images of one's journeys to self-discovery don't belong - neutrality would stay intact.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:09 pm 

You know what? ...No, I don't think it is. I'll let the reviews do the talking.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:14 pm 

But...I LIKE the reviews!

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:25 pm 

Napalm_Satan wrote:

You know what? ...No, I don't think it is. I'll let the reviews do the talking.

And therein lies the problem... xP

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:01 pm 

Indeed. When you claim to not even like your own reviews seemingly the minute after you post them. Coming here and being apologetic for what you wrote and your own opinions. That's why people shit all over you. Well that and your teen angst style of writing, but that's another issue altogether. If you have an opinion on something great. If your opinion changes the minute you garner criticism (which you will because you write troll reviews) then fuck off and don't bother. It's retarded and frankly really fucking annoying to have some twat posting asinine shit about how he's being picked on or whatever and then going backsies because he can't handle being called out for being a twat.

Azmodes wrote:

lonerider
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:23 pm 

I don't usually post on any forums, but I do read along on some, and I think you'd be surprised how often this site gets mentioned on those forums. A great many metalheads use the Archives as a source of reference not just for bands and releases, but for album reviews and ratings as well. Before I started writing reviews myself, I came to this site to check out some reviews of albums I was interested in buying, and I know I'm not alone in doing so. It would still be a cool site even without the review section, but I'm pretty convinced that deleting it entirely would diminish its value and that site traffic would decrease significantly.

That being said, I understand there is a certain quality standard to be maintained – maybe even raised, as over the years a lot of poor reviews have found their way onto the Archives, reviews that probably shouldn't have been accepted in the first place. I also understand that the quality control necessary to maintain that standard is very time-consuming and takes an awful lot of work, too much work to be shouldered permanently by just one moderator. (A big thanks goes out to Diamhea, by the way, for so far carrying the brunt of that workload!) I sincerely hope you guys can find a way to distribute the work more evenly. Or maybe some new, stricter rules and guidelines could be issued to ensure that fewer crappy reviews get submitted in the first place? Anyway, I really think it would be a heavy blow to get rid of the entire review section, as for me and many others, album reviews are what drew us to this site in the first place ...

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:39 pm 

Yeah NS this is definitely a problem you have, and I hate to say it, but it's the same thing LeMis used to do. I swear the dude rewrote his Effigy of the Forgotten review like six times because every single time somebody would disagree with something he wrote he would either A) change his tune and delete it to resubmit a new one that agreed with the dissenter, or B) double down and act like a massive cock towards everybody. You don't do B, and you don't really go rewriting things so you don't really do A either, but the sentiment is there. The difference is that he was a decent writer with an attitude problem, while you're a good writer with a confidence problem. You just gotta learn to take criticism better. A big part of writing in any capacity, particularly with fiction or opinion pieces, is a willingness to listen coupled with dogged persistence.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270 ... 520  Next