Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:16 pm 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
but the other half are just there with no context.

I think those need to be double checked, too. Not all users (know how to) add joint releases neatly, and throwing a label in that box might be their way of saying "Released in cooperation with {label X}".

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:28 pm 

Some were probably added by users who didn't know how to add re-releases. Needless to say, don't add any new label versions without double-checking first. If you can't find any trustworthy sources, just remove the mention.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:56 pm 

Here's a frustrating one: http://www.metal-archives.com/search/ad ... re=#albums

Albums with lineups in the additional notes. Sometimes this is simply redundant, but in most cases the lineups need to be properly added. If there are artists with names that aren't recognized/listed in the main lineup, just add them as guest/session.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Kjetter
Mutineer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:08 pm 

Searching album additional notes for "limited to" currently yields at least 1000 results where the additional notes contain nothing but the limitation. Including more complex descriptions the list makes up about 12000 total hits.
So, if anyone who has the required site access wants to lend a hand...

Emptiness Cycle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:41 am 

Kjetter wrote:
Searching album additional notes for "limited to" currently yields at least 1000 results where the additional notes contain nothing but the limitation. Including more complex descriptions the list makes up about 12000 total hits.
So, if anyone who has the required site access wants to lend a hand...

Gonna take a look at these over the next few weeks.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:22 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/search/ad ... re=#albums

"Bonus tracks": valid descriptor or not? If not, could someone clean those up?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:45 am 

Invalid descriptor.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:30 am 

Here's another one for veterans and above:

http://www.metal-archives.com/search/ad ... ame=#bands

Band locations should use the "(early), (later)" tags, not "(early), (now)". Saying "now" is unnecessarily presumptuous. Also seeing a lot of these using the syntax "Púchov, now Ružomberok." Should be: Puchov (early), Ruzomberok (later). Let's clean this up.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Midnight Rider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:39 am 

What about the bands that have 3 locations?
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Darkthrone

I've seen "early/later/now" and "early/mid/present"
Any rule for this too?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:42 am 

early, mid, later

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:07 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Here's another one for veterans and above:

http://www.metal-archives.com/search/ad ... ame=#bands

Band locations should use the "(early), (later)" tags, not "(early), (now)". Saying "now" is unnecessarily presumptuous. Also seeing a lot of these using the syntax "Púchov, now Ružomberok." Should be: Puchov (early), Ruzomberok (later). Let's clean this up.

I'm currently working on this. If I'm correct, I fixed all (that I could) of them when it comes to the lyrical themes being "(early), (now)". The ones left with "(now)" in the lyrical themes have too much listed as lyrical themes to change to "(later)". http://www.metal-archives.com/search/ad ... LabelName=

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:26 pm 

What about bands that have had 4 locations? "Bergen (early), United States (mid), Italy (later), Greece (now)"...
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ancient/772

Midnight Rider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:11 am 

Here's a list of tags that I found on the way while I was cleaning it.

earlier, present, past, formerly, current, hometown,
location, old, new, previous, former, originally

I fixed most of them, but there are some invalid entries remaining yet:
present: 42 tags ; past: 2 tags ; current: 4 tags ; new/old: 1 tag ; originally: 8 tags.

Hope this helps.

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:30 am 

Midnight Rider wrote:

present: 42 tags ; past: 2 tags ; current: 4 tags ; new/old: 1 tag ; originally: 8 tags.

Hope this helps.

Just fixed the 8 that had "(originally)".

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:53 pm 

Antioch wrote:
"Bonus (tracks)": valid descriptor or not? If not, could someone clean those up?

connor and I have cleaned most of these up. There's still a few, some of which need extra attention.
http://www.metal-archives.com/search/ad ... re=#albums (bonus tracks)
However, there are two entries - Anthrax and Artillary - which need to be manually removed. Leftovers of some deleted stuff. A webmaster's chore, I think.

Diamhea wrote:
Invalid descriptor.

Gutter Dave is unaware of this.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:50 pm 

Midnight Rider wrote:

Hope this helps.

It does, exceptional work.

Last.fm

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:27 am 

New task?
http://www.metal-archives.com/search/ad ... re=#albums

Midnight Rider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:34 pm 

^That gave me an idea: https://goo.gl/H4xAb2
(although, I think it's a mod-only task)

I'll give you a hand on the easiest ones, Connor.

Last edited by Midnight Rider on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:41 pm 

Wait for Diamhea's approval. As far as I'm concerned "promo" is OK. You could work on connor's task for now. Needless to say, some of the descriptions here need to be transferred to the additional notes, not just be removed altogether.

Midnight Rider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:48 pm 

Thanks, Antioch! no problem, will do.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:59 pm 

I'm ok with "Promo" in the VD.

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:01 pm 

Midnight Rider wrote:
I'll give you a hand on the easiest ones, Connor.

Cool, thanks, M.R.

Edit: Don't forget to put "Limited edition" in the Version Description of those albums that have a limited number of copies, M.R.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:14 pm 

Good job folks! Keep it up!

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:57 am 

Quite a few albums with redundant info in the notes like "released on tape" http://www.metal-archives.com/search/ad ... re=#albums

In some cases the format still needs to be set, in others a user came by and updated the format, but didn't clear the notes for whatever reason. Have at it. You don't need to know which tracks are on Side A/B to change the format.

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:49 pm 

I'll take a look at that either later tonight, or tomorrow.

Midnight Rider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:06 pm 

^Idea here: prior to that, let's add "only" on the search.

Just 306 entries, and a lot of "released only on tape" results.
They're easy to fix, and maybe the most urgent of them to address
(the "unknown" format on these releases can be filled immediately)

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:41 am 

There are many users who misunderstand the meaning of the "Identifiers" field. This is reserved for barcodes, matrices etc. NOT a place to put info that belongs in the version description/additional notes.

Here is a list of albums with invalid info entered in that field including "cover". This doesn't include all possibilities, just one of the biggest points of confusion.

Last.fm

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:31 pm 

Pruning some more from album notes.

I'm going through albums with the redundant "Music and lyrics by band X" mention in the album notes and removing it. Completely redundant. If an artist is credited instead, make sure you add that to their main lineup roles.

Last.fm

Heartless_Metal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:26 pm 

Hi! I was warned to "(...)Stop adding 'No barcode/no Cat ID' - just leave it blank! Stop changing the word 'band' to 'lineup.' This is considered point whoring(...)".

Well, in my defense about "No barcode/no Cat ID":

a) When I see an album version that I have with no barcode registered in database I go take my copy to insert the barcode in right field, when already mencioned "no barcode" I don't need to check, so I don't need to double check (3x,4x,10x...) to searching for something that doesn't even exists. So, "no barcode" is totally different of "barcode unknown".

b) When somebody check that there's a barcode in an album version tag with "no barcode" it means that it is another version, so you can add, included, and most of all in this case, the barcode.

Second of all about "Stop changing the word 'band' to 'lineup.'" in the "Contribute / To do" field there's a high priority things to fix, one of that is "Bands & albums without line-ups->Albums (Legacy)", where is marked all albums to contain "line-up" or "lineup" to help add to add the proporly line-up in the right place. Occurs that there're a numberous times when "line-up" appears as something like: "new booklet with lyrics and LINEUP", in this case I was just bored of enter on the same link to see there's nothing to correct, so I started to change "line-up/lineup" for something possible as: "new booklet with lyrics and band members". This way it stop apears in to do list for me or anyone else, so no double/triple...check for the same album over and over again.

So, it wasn't my intenction point whoring anything. So I ask: can I still do any of these?

At any case I hope you understand my point.

Heartless_Metal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:37 am 

Hi,

I think some answer/feedback would be very nice, so, if someone could do it...

p.s.: As anyone can see from my numbers of "posts" I'm not a user whom use the forum so much, if I'm doing this wrong sorry.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:47 am 

As mentioned, there are many tasks in this thread that still need to be finished. If you are that desperate for points, there are still easy ways to earn a lot of them while helping the site out re: higher-priority tasks.

I don't understand the line of thinking that consciously ignores the work that needs to be done, instead making meaningless edits or juggling syntax like this. Thanks for explaining, but as a moderator I am asking you to stop doing that.

By the way, I'm not just giving you a hard time, another user contacted me complaining about your edits.

Last.fm

Heartless_Metal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:45 pm 

Thank you for your feedback!

And as far as I don't agree with the "juggling syntax" and especially the "meaningless edits" part (where I still judge "no barcode" a truly valid information), I totally respect the site/moderators position, so it won't be repeat.

I only feel I had to defense myself because be warned by those, and certains expressions were too hard, like "point whoring" or "desperate for points", because I don't feel like a point whore, and either not desperated for some points.

I just like metal and enjoy to contribuite with the site, like, I guess, everyone else here.

Just one more thing, I don't "consciously ignores the work that needs to be done" here, I just totally ignore its existence, because, as I said, I don't usually use the forum, and my "juggling syntax" was done to reduce the numbers of "ASAP -> Bands and albums without line-ups -> Albuns (Legacy)", and truly did reduces it.

And when I was redirected to this post my very first think was "I can easely do this", but my second was "I'm not desperate for points, I don't need to do this", because, as I said, some words was a little hard, at least for me, whom don't be a native english speaker.

By the way, you didn't give me a hard time, I just cry a little bit (lol). When I recover myself I will see what I can do of this post before my visible boring vacation ends.

And again, thank you for your feedback, it really matter to me.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:07 pm 

Don't sweat it. PM me if you want any guidance regarding specific tasks.

Last.fm

Heartless_Metal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:50 am 

Hi again, I think I'll do some tasks in this field:

BlackenedZeroth wrote:
New task: Format in the notes. Example: http://www.metal-archives.com/search/ad ... re=#albums
Let's clean the notes and update the format.

So following this:

AddWittyUsername wrote:
Per Diamhea, in response to my (many, many) questions:

CD-R, not CDr, CDR, CD-r. Goes in VD ("version description") (and check if release is actually set to CD yet).
Limited edition goes in VD. Moreover, when the number of copies field is filled in, Limited edition should be in the VD (it often isn't)
Cardboard sleeve goes in VD.
Promo goes in VD. As Promo, not Promotional, Promotional CD, Promo CD or what have ye. (In the latter two cases, check if format is set yet)
Digipak, not Digipack. Goes in VD.

All stuff you come across in additional notes a lot when cleaning up, especially when searching for format-in-notes.

So in this 2 cases:

1) http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ce ... ion/438811 -> Notes like this: "First press on CD", should be moved to description, just erased, or leave it as it is?

2) http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ex ... ent/631653 -> "SHM-CD": should be moved to description, just erased, or leave it as it is?

In a matter of fact, such things as: "SHM-CD", "gold CD", "black CD","CD contains flash multimedia section", etc, goes to description, just should be erased, or stay in add notes?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:05 am 

Generally, you want to avoid redundancies, so saying "First press" is pointless and should be removed.

SHM-CD, Gold disc, etc can go in the version description.

For CDs with "multimedia" put "Enhanced" in the version description, then detail what it contains in the notes. REMINDER: Multimedia videos on CDs are NOT part of the tracklisting!

Last.fm

Heartless_Metal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:50 am 

Sorry, but some new dull questions:

1) Hand-numbered, hand numbered, or handnumbered?

2) In version description:

a) Limited edition, Digipak, Black CD or

b) Limited edition, digipak, black CD or

c) Limited edition. Digipak. Black CD?

3) OBI goes to description too?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:41 pm 

Most of those questions have been answered here, a long time ago: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=105402

1) Hand-numbered, hand numbered, or handnumbered?

Whichever, but it goes in the additional notes.

2) In version description:

a) Limited edition, Digipak, Black CD or

b) Limited edition, digipak, black CD or

c) Limited edition. Digipak. Black CD?

A

3) OBI goes to description too?

Ideally you can find a picture of the cover art complete with the OBI strip, but otherwise just put it in the notes.

Last.fm

Heartless_Metal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:42 am 

Diamhea,

Based on all those you tell/shown me I'm correcting some of the mistakes I done, in the "no barcodes"-like should I erase it, or leave it be?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:03 pm 

I say remove it, but maybe another mod with more clout should comment on this matter. It sets a bad precedence, but honestly how many albums are there that actually have no barcode? It's difficult to weigh the options and I don't feel comfortable making that call on my own.

Last.fm

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:32 pm 

Not sure whether this is the best thread for this, but seems like something should be done sooner or later. Seems like Alsace, Champagne-Ardenne, and Lorraine have gone by the name Grand Est as of September 2016. Grand Est is the region encompassing all three regions - Strasbourg being its capital.
http://www.britannica.com/place/Grand-Est

I think we should drop Alsace, Champagne-Ardenne, and Lorraine, and start using Grand Est instead. Could HellBlazer do that in one fell swoop? Or do they have to be changed manually?

@users: Wait for Azmodes' or Diamhea's confirmation before going on an editing spree.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next