Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:18 pm 

cvac wrote:
Awful mixing on Mind Wars? No. Someone doesn't know the difference between mixing and mastering. I really despise when people use these terms interchangeably because they're not the same thing. The album, to my knowledge, was never remixed. The Japanese first pressing sounds great, as I mentioned earlier. I would imagine the Roadracer CD or the later Japanese CD from the early 90s is fine as well. If you don't like the way the album was recorded, fine, but it is what it is. I can think of tons of metal albums that have much worse production than Mind Wars.

Agree that splitting the track was a bad idea.

Mastering could be what I was meaning to refer to, I'll admit that. I mean, the sound just sounds very quiet on my CD copy, and the vocals sound quite buried underneath everything. Sure your ears will probably get used to it by the second or third song and it'll sound louder compared to when you first started the thing, but the El Revengo tracks and every other song on the 2CD reissue that didn't include audio glitches show that the album could sound much, much more louder and clearer.

cvac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:27 pm 

SkullFracturingNightmare wrote:
cvac wrote:
Awful mixing on Mind Wars? No. Someone doesn't know the difference between mixing and mastering. I really despise when people use these terms interchangeably because they're not the same thing. The album, to my knowledge, was never remixed. The Japanese first pressing sounds great, as I mentioned earlier. I would imagine the Roadracer CD or the later Japanese CD from the early 90s is fine as well. If you don't like the way the album was recorded, fine, but it is what it is. I can think of tons of metal albums that have much worse production than Mind Wars.

Agree that splitting the track was a bad idea.

Mastering could be what I was meaning to refer to, I'll admit that. I mean, the sound just sounds very quiet on my CD copy, and the vocals sound quite buried underneath everything. Sure your ears will probably get used to it by the second or third song and it'll sound louder compared to when you first started the thing, but the El Revengo tracks and every other song on the 2CD reissue that didn't include audio glitches show that the album could sound much, much more louder and clearer.

The album was originally mastered to pre-loudness war standards. There is nothing wrong with it. If you need it to be louder, turn up the volume control. If you can't get enough gain, something is wrong with your system or you need a better one. My little integrated amp puts out a measly 45 wpc of power and with fairly efficient speakers I have no trouble getting it to volume levels that hurt my ears or will make the neighbors complain. If you're listening to this stuff on the computer, get a better headphone amp and/or apply replay gain tags to your lossless files.

We don't need any more shitty loudness war remasters. The market is flooded with them, which is why the value of older, unbutchered pressings of many albums on both LP and CD has gone up.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:44 pm 

Who says every remaster has to be a brickwalled loudness war contributor? Don't be a cock.

cvac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:24 pm 

Who says every remaster has to be a brickwalled loudness war contributor? Don't be a cock.

Nobody said that. Don't put words in my mouth, asshole. Fact is, a lot of metal and hard rock remasters ARE loudness war hack jobs. It's bad enough that a good remaster job is the exception, not the rule. Also, the fact that you think El Revengo sounds good at DR6 or whatever and complain about the first press of Mind Wars not being loud enough shows you are ignorant on this front.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:04 pm 

Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me, princess.

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:08 am 

The Black Death album is finally getting remastered and put out on CD. According to the band, Hell's Headbangers remastered it and the planned release date is March 1st.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:58 pm 

Martyrdoom Productions has reissued "To the Depths, in Degradation" by Infester. The remaster has been handled by Dan Lowndes, who's probably the most qualified to handle this that comes to mind. The original press had dips in volume from track to track, where this version equalizes them all without increasing the overall loudness it had. Dark Descent and Hell's Headbangers should be receiving some copies soon, so I'm just waiting on the word from them to get mine.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

SlevinKelevra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:03 pm 

ModusOperandi wrote:
Martyrdoom Productions has reissued "To the Depths, in Degradation" by Infester. The remaster has been handled by Dan Lowndes, who's probably the most qualified to handle this that comes to mind. The original press had dips in volume from track to track, where this version equalizes them all without increasing the overall loudness it had. Dark Descent and Hell's Headbangers should be receiving some copies soon, so I'm just waiting on the word from them to get mine.

maybe it was supposed to have a wide dynamic range; just like the non-sensical cropping of the cover art.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:56 am 

That is pretty lame that the album art is zoomed in for no reason, I always hate when reissues do that. What, were they only able to afford that much of the original album art to display?

Regardless, still nice to have an official reissue. Seems like the person who did the remastering job isn't some hack job brickwaller either, so that's nice.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:03 pm 

Well, I was gonna herald the plan for reissuing the three albums of Gates of Ishtar, but after checking the Loudness War Database, and seeing two of them listed as having dynamic ranges of 5 and 4, I'm maybe not as optimistic. Even though I realize not everything can be conveyed by a number, my experience with Century Media reissues and brickwalled remastering tells me to expect the worst.

Whatever the case, they're listed in the Nuclear Blast Europe store but not the US one.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:39 am 

About a month and a half ago, Blood and Iron Records and Lost Realm Records released Force - Discography 1981 - 1984. Force was Al Morris III's pre Iron Man doom metal band, which featured a female singer. There's 19 tracks, including all of the tracks from their 1991 self titled album (I did not know until I read a blurb about this release that the tracks on the 1991 album comprised demos from 1984 and were not new recordings for that 1991 release).

I've heard the tracks on the 1991 album, and they are really good, so this is a really cool release, especially since none of Force's material, even the 1991 album, has ever been available on CD before, and the 1991 vinyl is rare as fuck.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:58 am 

After years of hearing it would happen, reissues of the first two Vendetta albums have happened! Go and Live... Stay and Die is already out (except in Canada...) and Brain Damage comes out later this month! Don't really have any specific links for you, but you can probably search them anywhere and find them.

I am hugely stoked for this. The reviews for both albums are so positive, and people have been talking about these albums getting reissues for a very long time.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:44 am 

Fuck yeah. Brain Damage is such an underrated record.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:54 am 

Divebomb Records is about to unearth both records from Arbitrater! Looks like their store just closed for a week, but I pre-ordered it just before that happened: http://divebombrecords.bigcartel.com/pr ... ed-reality

I've only heard the occasional Arbitrater track, but I'm sure it's worth a purchase.

Interestingly, that first Vendetta record I was mentioning above was delayed in Canada from its already delayed release date of June to September. I know there are other ways to buy it prior to that, but the price dropped considerably, and Brain Damage should be arriving soon, so I think I might just wait it out on that one.

Seemannsdaemlack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:04 pm 

The first 5 Running Wild reissues will be released on August 11th.

Gates to Purgatory - CD/LP
Branded and Exiled - CD/LP
Under Jolly Roger - 2-CD/LP
Port Royal - CD/LP
Death or Glory - 2-CD/2-LP

http://www.emp-online.com/lis_running%20wild_bandbrand/

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:22 am 

Seemannsdaemlack wrote:

Port Royal - CD/LP

Wow those bonus tracks are awful. Who ever heard of putting nothing but already-released re-recordings and remasters on the second disc?

Hopefully they can do a good job boosting the poor sound of Port Royal (which actually probably needs a remix), but I'm not expecting much. I love Running Wild, and think Rapid Foray is great, but along with their half-hearted touring this year, this really shows that Rolf is a bit lazy these days.

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:57 am 

oops double post

Last edited by idunnosomename on Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
ThrashAD720
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:40 am 

Seemannsdaemlack wrote:

Port Royal - CD/LP

11th August 2017
Gates To Purgatory – Expanded CD & 180g LP
Branded And Exiled – Expanded CD & 180g LP
Under Jolly Roger - Expanded 2CD & 180g LP
Port Royal – Expanded CD & 180LP
Death Or Glory – Expanded 2CD & Gatefold Double 180g LP

25th August 2017
Blazon Stone – Expanded CD & Gatefold 180g LP
Pile Of Skulls – Expanded 2CD & Gatefold Double 180g LP
Black Hand Inn – Expanded CD & Gatefold Double 180g LP
Masquerade – Expanded CD & Double 180g LP

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/run ... se-records

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:47 pm 

Thanks for the headsup! Just ordered Under Jolly Roger and Port Royal. The others of the first 5 don't seem available on Amazon Canada yet, and I have the last 4, but the first 5 have always eluded me on CD!

The Crazy Old School Music Fan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:01 pm 

ModusOperandi wrote:

Does anybody know where I can get this in the US? Import fees on my credit card are insane. I know Dark Descent had it for one day, but before I could order it it was sold out. If it was at HHB I missed out, because I never saw it being sold there.

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:46 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
After years of hearing it would happen, reissues of the first two Vendetta albums have happened! Go and Live... Stay and Die is already out (except in Canada...) and Brain Damage comes out later this month! Don't really have any specific links for you, but you can probably search them anywhere and find them.

I am hugely stoked for this. The reviews for both albums are so positive, and people have been talking about these albums getting reissues for a very long time.

They were re-issued about 10 years ago, this is like the third time they've been re-issued. Based on liner notes the 2017 re-issue will be no different sound wise than the 2007 one.

ThrashAD720
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:43 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
Thanks for the headsup! Just ordered Under Jolly Roger and Port Royal. The others of the first 5 don't seem available on Amazon Canada yet, and I have the last 4, but the first 5 have always eluded me on CD!

Found out today i almost through my phone in happiness finding this because i could never find any of these albums. Tankard better be next after Running Wild.

Last edited by ThrashAD720 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:58 pm 

ThrashAD720 wrote:
Spiner202 wrote:

Found out today i almost through my phone in happiness finding this because i could never find any of these albums. Tankard better next after Running Wild.

I'm surprised Coroner hasn't happened yet.

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:09 pm 

I just recently got into Running Wild, so thanks for posting this! I guess I'll start with Blazon Stone.

ThrashAD720
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:16 am 

Didn't know Coroner albums are hard to get now so you can add Coroner to list that needs to happen.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:48 am 

Are Coroner's albums not available anymore on their website? I know it's been a few years since the 2014 reissues but I remember them still being pretty easy to find there.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:12 am 

Are Coroner's albums not available anymore on their website? I know it's been a few years since the 2014 reissues but I remember them still being pretty easy to find there.

I didn't even know they got reissued. I'm amazed I didn't hear anything about it because people have always been talking about how hard No More Color and Mental Vortex are to find. Their website only has Punishment for Decadence still available (conveniently the only one I have on CD already). If that's the case, they might not be next in line, but I would have thought they'd be an in-demand choice from Noise.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:16 pm 

Yeah they reissued all of their albums excluding Grin in 2014 on their own label, and then Grin eventually got reissued like a year later.

ThrashAD720
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:49 pm 

The first two Coroner albums i have but i need the rest cause i can't find them cheap.

Pestbesmittad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:39 am 

Peaceville will reissue Therion's "Of Darkness..." 15.9 on LP: https://burningshed.com/store/peacevill ... egory=true

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:13 pm 

Just saw Kurt Colfelt post this on Facebook, Holy Terror's getting a 5-disc boxset with Terror and Submission, Mind Wars, El Revengo, a live disc entitled Live Terror, and a DVD with some various live footage. Release date is Oct. 27

Hopefully the audio glitch on Judas Reward is FINALLY fixed and we can all get some redemption for all the crummy labels that reissued Mind Wars over the years and did absolutely squat to fix the issue (this was even addressed by Kurt and others in the comment section so it's good to know even people who were part of the band are aware of it).

You KNOW I'm getting this. I already went out of my way to get an original CD of Mind Wars not part of the 2CD reissue with Terror, and I even bought El Revengo off some download site because physical copies either weren't available on Discogs at the time or they were asking for too much. But despite all that, I'm a sucker for band's discographies being all organized and officially released, so hopefully this is the Holy Terror experience we've all been waiting for.

cvac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:06 pm 

Holy Terror looks interesting, but I'm not doing a preorder and will wait for reviews. Not super-confident that PHD won't screw it up somehow. IIRC they were involved with at least one of the previous TAS/MW 2-fer sets.

cvac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:16 pm 

The Crazy Old School Music Fan wrote:
ModusOperandi wrote:

Does anybody know where I can get this in the US? Import fees on my credit card are insane. I know Dark Descent had it for one day, but before I could order it it was sold out. If it was at HHB I missed out, because I never saw it being sold there.

It's really not that good so just save your money. :-D

HHB doesn't answer stock questions even if you drop money on a big order. If you must have it just get it from the label if you get tired of waiting for a U.S. distro. Re: credit card fees, use a bank debit card or bank account PayPal instead.

DEEK
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:55 am 

Just saw Kurt Colfelt post this on Facebook, Holy Terror's getting a 5-disc boxset with Terror and Submission, Mind Wars, El Revengo, a live disc entitled Live Terror, and a DVD with some various live footage. Release date is Oct. 27

Hopefully the audio glitch on Judas Reward is FINALLY fixed and we can all get some redemption for all the crummy labels that reissued Mind Wars over the years and did absolutely squat to fix the issue (this was even addressed by Kurt and others in the comment section so it's good to know even people who were part of the band are aware of it).

You KNOW I'm getting this. I already went out of my way to get an original CD of Mind Wars not part of the 2CD reissue with Terror, and I even bought El Revengo off some download site because physical copies either weren't available on Discogs at the time or they were asking for too much. But despite all that, I'm a sucker for band's discographies being all organized and officially released, so hopefully this is the Holy Terror experience we've all been waiting for.

I am definitely interested in this.
So I take it the 2 disc reissues of Mind Wars and Terror and Submission have this audio glitch you speak of, specifically the Candlelight version? Blackend does too?

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:39 am 

DEEK wrote:
So I take it the 2 disc reissues of Mind Wars and Terror and Submission have this audio glitch you speak of, specifically the Candlelight version? Blackend does too?

yep

ThrashAD720
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:10 am 

First 5 Running Wild should be shipping out this week since the release date is 8/11/17.

rooster85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:55 am 

it would be great if albums in this HT box had seperate jewel cases with fat booklets, but it propably end up with digipack style box...

ThrashAD720
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:20 am 

rooster85 wrote:
it would be great if albums in this HT box had seperate jewel cases with fat booklets, but it propably end up with digipack style box...

Hey it's better than nothing.

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:01 am 

Did the original 80's Holy Terror "Mind Wars" CD have the glitch or did it just appear on the re-issues years later?

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:35 pm 

No, it did not. I've yet to see anyone ever claim to hear it on original CD or vinyl copies, usually when someone's heard it, it's because they unknowingly got the 2CD reissue (regardless of which version/label released it either).

And I've also got a Roadrunner copy of Mind Wars on CD, and I can certainly tell you it's not there. It's actually a pretty noticeable skip, it even makes a "quip!" sound when it occurs (at least that's what it sounds like to me haha). It's just that it happens towards the end of the song so I think people brush it off because they don't even listen to the song in full that often to care.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 26  Next