Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:36 pm 

Lysander wrote:
He's doing one at the moment! I got hold of Backwards Chimney, Claymation Courtyard, Mirror Realms, Sunken Parlor and It's Alive.

I just heard Wall Slide off Sunken Parlor. Now that blew my mind. It's just a shame it had to end at all.

You sir, are now officially my friend. Those are some of my favorite Pikes! Glad to see you bought Sunken Parlor, I agree "Wall Slide" is freaking insane. It's one of my all time favorite Buckethead songs, and it's a relatively new one! Backwards Chimney is in my top 3 Pikes ever, it's a masterpiece. Since you bought Claymation Courtyard, do yourself a favor and check out Pike 65. :wink: It looks like you are down the road to becoming a Buckethead fan, if you're not one already :thumbsup: :headbang:

Lysander
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:51 am 

I didn't expect to turn into one, but I can't deny the man's talent. He is clearly a genius. The consistency of Backwards Chimney alone is impressive, but Sunken Parlor confirms it.

Has there been any discussion on his non-musical influences? The reason I'm asking is that parts of Backwards Chimney [melodics, guitar tone, drumming] are particularly reminiscent of Akira Yamaoka's work on the Silent Hill 2 and 3 soundtracks [as well as that, the name Sentinel Hill is a bit of a coincidence]. Seeing as he seems to have an interest in horror, I wouldn't be surprised if he had played the games and taken some influence from the atmospherics and the music.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:26 am 

Yeah, Big B was always fascinated horror films and soundtracks. Often, his songs will be purposefully named after events or characters in movies or TV shows. He even has a few covers of famous film soundtracks on a couple of his albums - namely his totally wicked Star Wars cover :lol: So "Sentinel Hill" most likely isn't a coincidence at all, but it was probably named like that on purpose. A couple of his albums listen like horror movie soundtracks too, like his Bucketheadland and Bucketheadland 2 albums.

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:09 pm 

thanks all, I recently started listening some Buckethead and was quite blown away (based on your high review scores).
I have a lot to go listen here I see so will look in this topic more often :)

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:50 pm 

Glad to hear Rompestromper! :-D I made a couple posts a little while ago with some links that you should check out. I take it you've seen some of my Buckethead reviews? I am determined to conquer most of his discography, but currently I'm taking a break. Once you take the plunge into Buckethead's work, it's only a matter of time before you're a fan :-D What have you heard so far?

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:19 pm 

I finally looked this guy up and saw how he releases 85 albums per day... I am intrigued and confused. I guess I will just pick one at random!

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:29 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
I guess I will just pick one at random!

Yeah, umm, on the list of things that are a good idea, that's not on the list. Too many people hear one of his experimental albums first, then commence to say he's terrible.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:09 pm 

Hey Sick6Six, just follow the reviews mate. Let the bucketbots map out and guide us blind ones around his vast discography, they know what they're doing! :lol:

Lysander
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:36 am 

I'm just bumping this topic to say the Claymation Courtyard is excellent. I have the mp3s of the five pikes I mentioned and I think these will keep me going for now. I also like how some of the tracks have an 80s metal vibe to them [I noticed this on It's Alive and parts of Claymation Courtyard]. Thanks stainedclass2112, your help has been invaluable.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:37 pm 

No problem, Lysander :thumbsup: Enjoy those pikes, don't forget to explore the pike series yourself, you never know what you might find. I'm still freaking out over Sunken Parlor. He nailed it on that one, "Wall Slide" is just blows me away.

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:52 am 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
Glad to hear Rompestromper! :-D I made a couple posts a little while ago with some links that you should check out. I take it you've seen some of my Buckethead reviews? I am determined to conquer most of his discography, but currently I'm taking a break. Once you take the plunge into Buckethead's work, it's only a matter of time before you're a fan :-D What have you heard so far?

I started with Pike # 51, it had 2 reviews on here, both high and that made me trust your other reviews more since someone agreed (trust as in: I am on similar musical interest level as that guy)
then I did # 108 to see if we both agree on less my taste things
and then # 11, which is great again.
Honestly I am thinking of redoing it but then chronologically but since I don't listen to much online it will take some time.

I still don't really understand how he can release so much, often good quality stuff. Is he a millionaire or something? (not meant goofy just I find it really interesting especially with his vague history stories, it makes me have a big smile)

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:10 pm 

Oh, yeah, Pike 51 is the real deal. One of the best pikes, without a doubt. My review is totally inferior to the other dude's review, he did an excellent job on his. Pike 108 is really... just not too interesting. In some places it was annoying. Now pike 11, I wish that one got more recognition - it's really awesome. The way he combines acoustic melodies with heavy metal riffs is just out of this world. That one is a total winner.

Buckethead releases so much because he really has no reason not to. He is the only member of his little outfit, besides Dan Monti, who produces most of them and plays the bass on a lot of them. Buckethead can really do whatever he wants, especially since he has quite the fan base now. The guy totally loves music and he is arguably one of the most talented musicians, ever. He has always been a really eclectic artist with his fictional background and his stage antics, but I love stuff like that, so I was drawn to his stuff - I've been a huge fan for a long time.

And to answer that little question, Buckethead's definitely a multi-millionaire. He has released a massive amount of music that has been successful, not including his other projects. He also has fans that buy his pikes in droves online, so he definitely has not only the freedom to do what he wants musically, but the funds to do so as well.

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:24 pm 

This guy never gets tired of constantly releasing albums. It's like he has nothing else better to do. Very talented musician though.

Terminus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:46 am 

Ydrapoej sounds like clicking through a sound test on an old video game. :lol:

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:26 pm 

Get to go see Buckethead live in a few weeks :hyper: Should be totally awesome! Anybody catching him on this tour? It's his first in a while.

And yeah, Ydrapoej... it's one of the worst. That description is spot-on though :lol:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:49 pm 

Ah would had been cool to see him but there's no Canadian dates. After barely checking him out when we decided to approve him, I've decided to jump into the Pikes series. As I have no bandwith limit, I'm getting, well, 200 albums (??) right now! Wish me luck!

I'll start with Pike 1 and slowly make my way through this hell.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:19 pm 

What's that? Metantoine's giving Buckethead a shot!? :-D I made a post a little bit back pointing out some of the best Pikes, definitely check those out! Aren't you a big doom metal fan? Check out Pikes 130 and 131 for some eerie, doomy, gloomy goodness.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:20 pm 

Oh yeah, I saw this big post, seemed pretty in depth! I'll go read it... or maybe I won't and get surprised.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:38 am 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
Oh, yeah, Pike 51 is the real deal. One of the best pikes, without a doubt. My review is totally inferior to the other dude's review, he did an excellent job on his. Pike 108 is really... just not too interesting. In some places it was annoying. Now pike 11, I wish that one got more recognition - it's really awesome. The way he combines acoustic melodies with heavy metal riffs is just out of this world. That one is a total winner.

Buckethead releases so much because he really has no reason not to. He is the only member of his little outfit, besides Dan Monti, who produces most of them and plays the bass on a lot of them. Buckethead can really do whatever he wants, especially since he has quite the fan base now. The guy totally loves music and he is arguably one of the most talented musicians, ever. He has always been a really eclectic artist with his fictional background and his stage antics, but I love stuff like that, so I was drawn to his stuff - I've been a huge fan for a long time.

And to answer that little question, Buckethead's definitely a multi-millionaire. He has released a massive amount of music that has been successful, not including his other projects. He also has fans that buy his pikes in droves online, so he definitely has not only the freedom to do what he wants musically, but the funds to do so as well.

thanks for clearing that up :)
I hope to have some more time to check more out but I was on a cd buying spree last months which also request a lot of attention hehe.

I did not know that he had such a big fan base though, it seemed to me that he was one of those very underrated artists who don't get enough recognition. Also I am a sucker for those fictional stories behind an unknown person really, I read quite some "bio" before giving him a shot because that alone is great also haha!

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:43 pm 

I really like Buckethead but I've only heard a tiny portion of its work, although in terms of volume tha tiny portion is roughly the same size as an average band's discography. I've tried random pikes and I haven't heard anything that could be labelled even "mediocre", everything ranges from good to very good to awesome. But they do sound samey, which is my only complaint.

Having said that, I only post here to second the recommendation of the most famous of his Pikes (AFAIK), #65 - Hold me Forever, dedicated to his mother. It really is a very, very beautiful and moving piece of music. My wife was obssessed with it for months and she doesn't care for shredders at all (with the exception of Jason Becker).

Also, as a huge fan of SOAD and Serj's voice, this is awesome, from Enter the Chicken:

Oh, and great work on Chinese Democracy too.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:54 pm 

Last night was the concert! Finally got to see Big B play live! It was totally AWESOME. It was the full Buckethead experience, he was totally in character, he played a killer set, he gave out toys, did nunchucks (which was WAY cooler than I thought it would be), did the Giant Robot Theme, played the Star Wars theme, and he even let the people in the front row tap the killswitch! Very, very awesome show. If anybody lives where the next shows (tour dates here) are going to be played, definitely go see him.

As for the set itself, he played the gamut of classic Buckethead material, including Meta Matic, Night of the Slunk, Jordan, The Embalmer, Lebrontron, Gory Head Stump (probably the highlight of the show), Soothsayer, Baseball Furies, Hog Bitch Stomp, I Love My Parents, Welcome to Bucketheadland, Nottingham Lace, and a bunch of others. Surprisingly, he didn't play Siege Engine or Binge and Grab. BUT, he did play two songs from one of my favorite Buckethead albums: Captain EO's Voyage. He played condensed versions of Star Chasing and Chase the Darkness Out - it was totally freaking wicked. PLUS, he played Jimi Hendrix's Purple Haze. Buckethead playing Purple Haze, insanely awesome.

Lysander
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:19 am 

Really glad you got to see him live - that's a must for you. Compulsory experience.

I only came in this thread to say It's Alive just clicked. Fuck, what an awesome experience.

voidgazer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:25 am 

I'm a big Buckethead fan. The Cuckoo Clocks of Hell is my favorite work of his. So much crazy shit going on on that record. Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains is another great record he worked on as well. Some of his solo stuff gets redundant but I also love Colma, Electric Tears and the Elephant Man's Alarm Clock.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:47 pm 

Lysander wrote:
Really glad you got to see him live - that's a must for you. Compulsory experience.

I only came in this thread to say It's Alive just clicked. Fuck, what an awesome experience.

Yeah it was totally awesome on so many levels. :hyper: Glad to hear you're enjoying It's Alive, the Pike series started off really cool with that one! "Crack the Sky" is one of my favorite Buckethead songs, and "Lebrontron" also rules. Keep going with the Pike series man, it seems as if you're enjoying a decent amount of his stuff. Have you heard Thank You Ohlinger's yet? I've been jamming to that one a lot lately; it's one of his best.

voidgazer wrote:
I'm a big Buckethead fan. The Cuckoo Clocks of Hell is my favorite work of his. So much crazy shit going on on that record. Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains is another great record he worked on as well. Some of his solo stuff gets redundant but I also love Colma, Electric Tears and the Elephant Man's Alarm Clock.

Sweet! :thumbsup: Glad to see another Bucketbot on here! Cuckoo Clocks is one hell of a record, and it remains one of the most insane albums I've ever heard. C2B3's album is a really badass album, I'm a massive Les Claypool fan as well as Buckethead so that album entertained me for quite the long time. Colma and Electric Tears are serious Buckethead classics, and glad to see you mention Elephant Man's Alarm Clock, that album is quite underrated.

Lysander
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:06 pm 

Anyone been listening to the new pikes? I'm really enjoying Florrmat and Oneiric Pool. Castle on Slunk Hill is a bit more avant-garde but all three are great. I haven't listened to them all so would be interested on those who have heard more from 2016.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:31 pm 

Heard just about all of them. :oh shit: :lol: Florrmat is one of my faves too, an example of his really focused, riffy style of Pike. Oneiric Pool was the first after the tour and I really enjoyed it. Have you heard The Five Blocks yet? It's my favorite out of the 5 (I think?) post-tour 2016 Pikes. Really beautiful leads with a divine atmosphere. Nice use of keyboards too. The newest Pike, Chart, has a song called "Chart" that is a fantastic little speed/thrash number in the Buckethead vein that I've been enjoying lately.

If you want some other great 2016 Pikes, try Sunken Parlor, Mirror Realms, Cove Cloud, Happy Birthday MJ 23, Drift, and Arcade of the Deserted. Also, Cabs has Underneath the Arctic, which is like the fan favorite song from 2016 it seems.

Speaking specifically recently, I did not enjoy Attic Garden at all. Castle on Slunk Hill really teetered on the edge, but it breaks the 60% mark for me.

Lysander
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:19 pm 

Pike sale now on! I'll be grabbing quite a few. Florrmat, Oneiric Pool, The Five Blocks for starters. Also Lightboard. The Five Blocks is great, thank you for the recommendation.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:33 pm 

I snagged a few to fill some holes in my collection. Most notably Twisted Branches, Elevator, and The Five Blocks. Happy to add those to the bunch. I've been listening to Coat of Charms a lot lately; one of my favorite Pikes.

Lysander
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:38 pm 

This sale is great, stacked up on pikes for Christmas since I'll be away. Most of them are from this year. I got hold of

#16 The Boiling Pond [had to be done, one of the heaviest it seems, haven't listened to it all yet]
#225 Florrmat [riff-fest and much much fun]
#233 22222222 [great mix of rock/metal leads and slightly off-the-wall abstract ones]
#235 Oneiric Pool [stunning - I know some think this is very much B in autopilot but I really like it]
#236 Castle on Slunk Hill [I really enjoy the experimental/heavy nature of this one]
#237 The Five Blocks [heard it once yesterday in the uni library and was really impressed. Nice mixture of ambient/rock leads]

Is it me or is he really on a roll lately?

I still think West of Arkham is the best track he's done that I've heard.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:26 pm 

West of Arkham is absolutely fantastic! Pike 42 is still my #1 favorite, and it honestly can go head to head with my favorite Big B album ever, that being A Real Diamond in the Rough.

I agree though, he has been on a roll. Oneiric Pool, The Five Blocks, and Sparks in the Dark especially were amazing. I was tough on Attic Garden, but it's honestly a lot of fun if you're in the mood for it. Nice pickup too! Pike 16 is one of the heaviest pikes for sure. Pike 23 - Telescape also uses the same kind of guitar tone and riff-style, make sure to give that one a go. Pike 44 is somewhat similar, only more aggressive if you like that side of him. Pike 82 can get rreeeaaallly heavy too.

The way you talk about the Big B discography shows that you're really gettin' in to his stuff; that's awesome. :thumbsup: Since it looks like you also appreciate his more off-kilter side (#233 and 236 show that you def. can), I'd almost recommend you take the full-on Pike journey over time. Start at whichever early Pike you've not heard, and take the trek! It's a lot of fun, even with the duds here and there.

EDIT: yeah I'm listening to West of Arkham right now and it just floors me every time. I don't know how he pulled this album off, but yeah, it's a masterpiece.

Poopman25
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:15 pm 

I have quite a few solo guitarists/shredders in my music collection but Buckethead has never done anything for me. I mean it's obvious he is talented. He also has an insane amount of material, perhaps ill pay him a visit again.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:19 pm 

Try the Pike 42 - Backwards Chimney we were just talking about. That album is somethin' else. But of course, he's just not for everybody. I will say he has so many different styles that he's bound to at least have some form of quality in everyone's eyes.

Poopman25
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:01 am 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
Try the Pike 42 - Backwards Chimney we were just talking about. That album is somethin' else. But of course, he's just not for everybody. I will say he has so many different styles that he's bound to at least have some form of quality in everyone's eyes.

Oh its on! I really want to like this guy. Is your username Buckethead related? Random question I know.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:18 am 

My username is just two of my favorite albums smashed together haha. 2112 and Stained Class.

And back on topic, what would be a specific kind of style you think he might have that you'd be looking for?

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:00 am 

I love Buckethead. I have a ton of his CDs, but it feels like he's largely been on autopilot since around Crime Slunk Scene. Since then he's really went for that instrumental arena rock sort of thing. Not to mention his reusing of licks over and over these days.

Half the Pikes sound like they were improvised and released without much afterthought.

Hate to shit on him, cause he's great, but I don't get the same wild adventurous vibes as I do from his older material.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:09 am 

Yeah that's his one biggest problem really. I'm inclined to agree, he throws himself on autopilot a bit too much. That's not the case for all Pikes though, as I'd say at least half of them are truly their own thing with a lot of effort packed in, but there is a huge batch of less-qualified releases in there too.

His biggest dry spot was in the 150-200's Pike series, which is my least favorite collective bunch of Pikes. The late 2015 and 2016 bunch of Pikes has been largely incredible though, featuring him reeling in that sense of autopilot and really putting out some more ambitious, and I guess you could say adventurous, releases.

I'm also a stanch defender of the opinion that Buckethead's golden era began right at Pike 35 and carries on to 51. All of those in between that add up to be some of the best music, from any artist, I've ever heard. Closely behind that would be that late 2000's run of brilliance, featuring albums like Crime Slunk Scene, Shadows Between the Sky, Albino Slug, The Elephant Man's Alarm Clock, Pepper's Ghost, Decoding..., and of course, A Real Diamond In the Rough which are without a doubt representative of Buckethead at his absolute best.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:35 am 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
I'm also a stanch defender of the opinion that Buckethead's golden era began right at Pike 35 and carries on to 51. All of those in between that add up to be some of the best music, from any artist, I've ever heard. Closely behind that would be that late 2000's run of brilliance, featuring albums like Crime Slunk Scene, Shadows Between the Sky, Albino Slug, The Elephant Man's Alarm Clock, Pepper's Ghost, Decoding..., and of course, A Real Diamond In the Rough which are without a doubt representative of Buckethead at his absolute best.

Pike 65 already had me reeling in amazement. If this golden era is better than that, wow.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Lysander
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:40 am 

stainedclass2112 wrote:

The way you talk about the Big B discography shows that you're really gettin' in to his stuff; that's awesome. :thumbsup: Since it looks like you also appreciate his more off-kilter side (#233 and 236 show that you def. can), I'd almost recommend you take the full-on Pike journey over time. Start at whichever early Pike you've not heard, and take the trek! It's a lot of fun, even with the duds here and there.

Yep it's not a bad idea to do that from 1st Jan. I'll make a little list with a few words for each [literally, and for my personal use].

I haven't heard pike 65 yet, well, neither of the ones to his parents. Maybe I'll come to those in sequence.

Lysander
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:34 pm 

Managed to squeeze a few more acquirements in before heading off out of London for Xmas.

#39 Twisterlend - haven't heard it yet but it's free!
#224 Buildor - pretty much floored on first listen. Heavy - melodic - thoughtful - varied - emotional. Beautiful in each category.
#231 Drift - the most 80s-sounding pike I've come across yet. Stunning mix of prog rock, heavy metal and late-night serene atmospherics.

Thank God for the sale, so much interesting material to get hold of at the moment.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:53 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Pike 65 already had me reeling in amazement. If this golden era is better than that, wow.

The general consensus is that Pike 65 is the ultimate Buckethead Pike. It is, in my opinion, a flawless piece of music that's totally amazing in every way, but the collective awesomeness of 35-51 is just too good. However, the only one of those that actually matches Pike 65 (honestly tops if it's a contest) is Pike 42 which is pretty much one of the best things he has ever done. But yeah Pike 65 makes my top 10 for sure; it's just fantastic.

@Lysander hell yeah, you're really snagging them aren't you? Nice snag with Buildor. That one is super great. Twisterlend is good, but the first song is RIDICULOUSLY GOOD*. "The Closed Triptych" can easily be argued as the best song he has ever done and I honestly have a hard time arguing with that. It's just absolutely flipping amazing. The rest of that album is just not as great to me, but GOOD GOD THE FIRST TRACK.

Also, Pike 65 and 150 are must listens dude. I did not actually review Pike 150, rather N_S did, and believe me when I say his scoring and write-up are justified. It's amazing and almost heartbreakingly beautiful.

Just 'cuz, since I have now heard them all and can actually say it, I believe my top 10 Buckethead Pikes (in no particular order, other than 42 being #1) would look something like this:

Pike 42 - Backwards Chimney
Pike 128 - Tucked Into Dreams
Pike 10 - The Silent Picture Book
Pike 65 - Hold Me Forever
Pike 35 - Thank You Ohlinger's
Pike 158 - Twisted Branches
Pike 60 - Footsteps
Pike 40 - Coat of Charms
Pike 210 - Sunken Parlor (the first 7 minutes alone land it on my top 10, sweet muffins that first 7 minutes)
Pike 36 - The Pit (probably an odd choice, but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucckkkkkk it rocks hard)

That list probably changes occasionally for me, but a lot of my absolute faves are represented there.

*For real, I cannot stress it enough or beat the dead horse enough, and yeah it's FREE. If anyone would like a quick tidbit example of why I'm always tripping balls over Buckethead's stuff, give that first song a whirl: http://music.bucketheadpikes.com/album/twisterlend

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next