Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:59 pm 

If for some reason you had to leave your country with only a backpack, what would you bring with you? I'd bring my laptop, clothes (metal band shirts and camo pants), food and medicines. I'd fill the extra space with all the CDs and DVDs that'd fit. How about you?

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:05 pm 

A refugee? That means my country would have been destroyed i na brutal war or something like that. I don't think my priority would be saving my metal band t-shirts per se... evne though pretyt much every t-shirt and hoodie of mine has a metal band logo in it. So it's not like it'd be a conscious effort to takethose.

...but I'd take my Nintendo 3DS and as many games as I could fit in my backpack.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:09 pm 

Yeah, luckily pretty much all of us in this forum don't really need to leave their countries, but I just asked it out of curiosity. :)

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:11 pm 

You don't have to live like a refugee.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:05 pm 

Yeah, Tom Petty told me that. He ain't no liar!

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:45 pm 

Sew some gold into the lining of your clothes. It'll come in handy.

Hank Scorpio
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:51 am 

A laptop or Nintendo are somewhat weird choices for a refugee. My priorities would be food, water, money and clothes (who cares if they are band shirts or not). Of course, if I really had some space in my backpack for luxuries, an mp3 player incl. earphones and charging cable would be a nice choice to kill some time in the refugee camps.

Lysander
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:33 am 

A laptop, CDs and DVDs are extreme luxuries that would either end up stolen or sold or both. I like your thread idea but it's totally unrealistic. I think an mp3 player or a phone that plays mp3s [even a dumbphone] is more likely. If you play the video game This War of Mine you'll see that anything apart from food, clothes and medicines is an expendable commodity. However, one shouldn't discount the importance of music on lightening one's mood, so that's why I agree that a small mp3 player would be best. CDs and DVDs would take up too much weight and space, you'd end up ditching them or losing them before long, I imagine.

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:53 am 

Other than the bare essentials like at least two sets of clothing, I would pack a sturdy smartphone with good batteries that doubles as an MP3 player and that's it. The ease of navigation and gathering of specific information according to circumstances that is possible with those things will make my travel much easier (and maybe even possible in the first place). Especially when it comes to offline maps. Maybe pack a spare battery/charging device/extra smartphone, etc. Free Wi-Fi is available in many places and mobile data access might also be possible. You can even use it as a translation device for some basics.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:02 pm 

This is a dumb thread, to be honest with you guys.

It's not dumb because of current events, or anything of that sort. It's dumb because it's a thread that's essentially a "what are your favorite things" thread attached to a specific environmental condition where one's "favorite things" are secondary to the basic fundamentals of life and the maintenance of a standard of living. You could replace this specific condition with any situation that involves a dramatic shift in one's standard of living (eg. a natural disaster, a war, homelessness, etc.). With each scenario, you're going to have the same collective reply: "I have X luxury goods that I favour, but I would obviously need to ensure a basic standard of living first and that involves food/shelter/clothing/etc!"

In other words, it's a dumb thread because the topic of discussion (in this case, one's "prized possessions") is secondary to a repeated general statement about the scenario (needing to maintain the fundamentals of life). I would suggest a better thread would have just asked what one's prized possessions are. Considering this, this thread is dead.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.