Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:51 pm 

Everybody bitching about the cold can officially suck it. I drive an hour to and from work and I have no heat in my car. I spend at least two hours in a mobile igloo each day. I hate life.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:53 pm 

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:14 pm 

It has been like ~80 degrees (F) for me all week.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:20 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody bitching about the cold can officially suck it. I drive an hour to and from work and I have no heat in my car. I spend at least two hours in a mobile igloo each day. I hate life.

As someone who drove an hour to and from work with no AC this summer, you have my sympathies. That said, I'd take that over heatless cars in the winter because I'd rather be too hot than too cold, at least with cars in that situation you can keep the windows down.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:33 pm 

I live in a cabin in a duck club in a marsh near the SF bay. It's only accessible by boat, which means I have to boat out to my car every day to go to work/do anything. So i wake up before sunrise and brave rain and wind chill for 10 minutes in a vehicle completely unprotected from the elements, in 30-32 F weather (I guess that's like -1 or 0 C). My cabin is pretty poorly insulated too so it's cold inside and outside. Don't take your insulation and heaters for granted people!

Totally worth it to see the sunrise above the marsh every morning though.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:02 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

As someone who drove an hour to and from work with no AC this summer, you have my sympathies. That said, I'd take that over heatless cars in the winter because I'd rather be too hot than too cold, at least with cars in that situation you can keep the windows down.

I don't have AC either and haven't since like June, so I braved the summer as well. I'm basically just riding a really fast bicycle everywhere.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:04 am 

Yeah it's cold as a witch's tit. -5 F without considering windchill. I had forgotten what it feels like to have your hair freeze to your head after being outside for two minutes.

Last edited by MonumentalBlackArt on Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:13 am 

Maximum temperatures have been in the 13C-16C(55F-60F) territory here. since Christmas. Also it has mostly been sunny and/or a bit cloudy with the exception of a couple of rainy days earlier this week.

Not the coldest Winter I've experienced thus far, but still cold enough for me to wear a sweater/hoodie outside.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:35 am 

BastardHead wrote:

What the fuck dude? Your car isn't even that old.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:40 am 

Empyreal wrote:
The internet is just garbage sometimes. "Lol, gotta troll, everything is ironic"...

Indeed. Subtle, clever trolling can be funny, but just being an asshole "ironically" is no different than being a simple ol' asshole. The effect is the same, you're an obnoxious douche who needs to fuck off. So yeah.

I've literally no patience for this shit anymore.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:42 am 

Unfortunately we're gonna have to get used to it for the next four years, whether here or elsewhere. A joke candidate and TV entertainer was elected president. The "trolling" is just beginning. :ugh:

Eventually it will likely end up being normalized, too.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:37 am 

I'd say it's already like 50% normalized or so.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:20 am 

I re-watched Jesus Camp with the wife last night because she's never seen it and man, do we repeat the same bullshit, huh? Like everyone's talking about how things are bad now, but back in the aughts shit was weird as fuck. They literally had kids praising Jesus' name and invoking him to help out Bush and to appoint pro-life judges and end the Mooslum influence. Evangelicals man, way too much voting power.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:22 am 

TheExodusAttack wrote:
I live in a cabin in a duck club in a marsh near the SF bay. It's only accessible by boat, which means I have to boat out to my car every day to go to work/do anything. So i wake up before sunrise and brave rain and wind chill for 10 minutes in a vehicle completely unprotected from the elements, in 30-32 F weather (I guess that's like -1 or 0 C). My cabin is pretty poorly insulated too so it's cold inside and outside. Don't take your insulation and heaters for granted people!

Totally worth it to see the sunrise above the marsh every morning though.

Um that sounds kind of amazing! I would be jealous if you lived just about anywhere other than SF, I lived there for like 6 months and it was some of the worst times of my life. One day I will live on a paradise island in Thailand, so far I have only visited. Hey Google, what is a duck club?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:14 pm 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

What the fuck dude? Your car isn't even that old.

The car heats and cools just fine, if you put your hands up to the vent while the car is in motion you can feel the desired temperature blowing out weakly, it just doesn't actually blow out. I've changed the blower motor and that did nothing (also tested the old and new one and they're both in perfect operating condition) and all the fuses seem okay, which means it's probably a bad connection or broken wire or something. I'm not an electrician so I've done all I can without actually taking it in somewhere to get looked at, but I just can't afford that as it stands right now. I'm seriously considering taking it to a coworker's house so he can just wire up a direct on/off switch to the thing to bypass wherever the hell the connection is broken. It'll always be either off or full blast but at least the fucking thing will work.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:19 pm 

That sucks dude. But are you sure it's electrical and not a bad valve or something?

Azmodes wrote:

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:21 pm 

Speaking on the weather, it's a balmy -20C here today before windchill, and it's supposed to get colder. I'm just glad it's not snowing, because when I went out to my car this morning, one of the back windows was rolled down. No idea how that happened, but at least my back seat isn't filled with snow.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:23 pm 

I mean that's my best guess without actually taking it to the dealership (my warranty expired like two days before it died). I took a lot of autos classes in high school but anything more advanced than tires or brakes and everything I learn has just evaporated and I need to rely on my dad or best friend (who is a mid-level corporate guy for a major manufacturer so he pretty much always has the answers I'm looking for). I'm just sucking it up until I get my tax return but it's getting pretty rough in the mornings.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:11 pm 

Due to being dirt poor and living in a small town of 5,000 people I've had to fix every single problem my car has ever had unless it was something major. Learned how to replace fuel pump, water pump, brake lines, starter/alternator, all of the belts, the entire ignition and spark system and even had to replace some tie rods at some point. It was either that or it just didn't get done. Praise Satan for youtube tutorials.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:00 pm 

My idea of maintinence (why can I not spell that word??) is taking to the shop. I am beyond useless when it comes to things like that. I'd be fucked so hard. I don't even know how to change the oil on my car.

Azmodes wrote:

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:24 pm 

All I know how to do is change oil and rotate tires. I'm more of a computer guy.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:36 pm 

MammothRider wrote:
Speaking on the weather, it's a balmy -20C here today before windchill, and it's supposed to get colder. I'm just glad it's not snowing, because when I went out to my car this morning, one of the back windows was rolled down. No idea how that happened, but at least my back seat isn't filled with snow.

Where you at? It's colder'n a well-digger's arse here in Ottawa too. World's 2nd coldest national capital, and we wear our silver medal with pride :) I also haven't had heat in my car since before the Winnipeg Jets returned. I can, however, crank the AC so that the temperature difference between inside and outside the car is not enough to coat the inside of my windshield with quick-freezing condensation and render it opaque... most of the time.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:15 pm 

I'm a bit north east of Edmonton. To be fair, it's been mostly decent here for a couple of weeks, but our weather is bizarre. I don't know what it's like in Ottawa, but there have been days where it'll be -30, the next will be 0, and then -20 the day after. I really don't mind the cold; but if it's gonna be cold, stay that way. None of this bouncing around nonsense. I don't know how you guys can hack it with no heat in your cars, I'd be out of my mind.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:18 pm 

I just went to get a haircut. It's like fifteen to twenty minutes one way. I just got home and I've been thawing my frozen fingers in the sink for the past five minutes.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:20 pm 

I've been walking 3-4 miles a day in this... just bundle up. I'm more worried about slipping on ice.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:20 pm 

Get mittens.

You're not supposed to run water over your body parts like that.

Azmodes wrote:

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:22 pm 

All of this talk about cold weather reminded me how hard it is for old people. It's especially hard when they shop for groceries. And old people shopping for groceries reminded me of this:

Spoiler: show

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:22 pm 

I was told not to run your hands/feet under hot water when I was little, so I run it under cold/lukewarm water until feeling returns and then just dry off and warm up naturally.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:48 pm 

Speaking of the weather, I saw snow today.

Yeah. Fuckin Texas.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:01 pm 

It got to 34F today where I live, but not one degree below. I don't think I'll see it this winter. It's been probably 15 years or more since it last snowed down here.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:06 pm 

The one guy left in Vektor should team up with Ildjarn for a new project called Sort Vektor.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:31 pm 

The one brain cell left in Ildjarn should have a drink and tell the ten other dead brain cells to prepare an eleventh grave.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:00 am 

BastardHead wrote:

Ironically, an igloo would have kept you warmer than your metal car.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:33 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
The one brain cell left in Ildjarn should have a drink and tell the ten other dead brain cells to prepare an eleventh grave.

as if ildjarn had ever been about braincells. :scratch: basically the pure antithesis, brutish, primitive primeval instinct all the way.
still, ildjarn's music easily beat the shit out of anything vektor have ever done. any day of the week. and that's the pure truth.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Earthridden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:20 am 

I'll have some of that cold please. It got to 105.8 °F here today and the sun is like being pierced with arrows, ugh
It was far easier losing my memory.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:43 am 

Any of you fashionistas know anything about watches? I've been thinking about buying a watch as I think it could be a cool accessory. I want something automatic (both to not have to worry about changing batteries or the delicacy of solar power or whatever, and because it's just a fascinating piece of machinery I'd like to own), darker in color and with a metal bracelet. Nothing too flashy. Maybe $300 or so would be my spending limit.

I have my eye on this one, actually: https://mwcwatches.com/collections/divers-watches-full-range/products/mwc-24-jewel-300m-automatic-divers-watch-on-a-pvd-bracelet. Made in Switzerland, seems built like a tank, simple design.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:08 am 

time is a valuable thing. watch it fly by as the pendulum swings, watch it count down to the end of the day. the clock ticks life away...

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:28 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Any of you fashionistas know anything about watches?

For this price range you could get a really cool Diesel watch, e.g. http://cdn.watchshop.com/profiler/thumb ... 752380.jpg
If you want my advice - which I doubt - seeing that this would be your only watch, you should consider getting one with a leather strap instead.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:11 am 

Last night I had 10 hours sleep, today I managed to get four cans of badger beer and two large bottles of Weston's cider for £5 due to a cashier fucking up, I had Sextrash's debut delivered, I'm eating at my favourite restaurant and I plan to spend the evening playing my wonderful new guitar. That was an incredibly long sentence describing what has been and will hopefully continue to be a fine day.

Oh, and I discovered a hidden Sam Smiths pub in York!

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:32 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
Oh, and I discovered a hidden Sam Smiths pub in York!

Please, do tell!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 689, 690, 691, 692, 693, 694  Next