Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:01 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Count me into the Hallowed Be Thy Name camp as favourite Maiden song. Every thing about this track is perfect.

I'm with this. Best song of theirs. Doesn't just do everything right, it does it perfectly.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:56 am 

Hey look! A new FFA thread!

Why did you close the last one?

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:04 am 

raspberrysoda wrote:
Hey look! A new FFA thread!

Why did you close the last one?

It was because of the claw. I don't understand the power of the claw, or what it is for, however I am very fond of the thread discussing its history and implications in metal in the other subsection of this board.

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:10 am 

everyone in this thread talking about iron maiden wrote:
blahblahblahblah

The best Iron Maiden albums are their first two, and after them the band became pretty meh. I'd pick Judas Priest over Maiden anytime

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:59 am 

Too many contenders for best Iron Maiden song, but my favorite album is Piece of Mind.

With Judas Priest it's much easier to choose their best song: The Sentinel.

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:09 am 

Iron Maiden: Powerslave - an epic song with both great pounding AND melodious riffs, great lead work, supreme and theatrical vocal performance and exactly the right song length for Iron Maiden.

Judas Priest: Dissident Aggressor - it's stabbing and bawling, punching and crawling, thrashing and bashing. The hooks to my brain are well into this.

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:11 am 

No love for "The Angel And The Gambler"?... Played backwards?... While on LSD?

Anyways, it's "Hallowed Be Thy Name" or "Infinite Dreams" for Maiden, and for Priest, there's way too many to choose from for me. "The Sentinel" is a fine pick, though.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:35 am 

raspberrysoda wrote:
everyone in this thread talking about iron maiden wrote:
blahblahblahblah

The best Iron Maiden albums are their first two, and after them the band became pretty meh. I'd pick Judas Priest over Maiden anytime

Wrong opinion. Please retry!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:40 am 

Yeah they didn't become "pretty meh" before Powerslave. The first two are their best for sure, though. The two that followed are killer as well, though.

Powerslave was when they turned from "heavy metal with some melodic leads" to "melodic leads with some heavy metal".

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:18 am 

It would be hard for me to pick a favorite Maiden/Priest song, but "Be Quick Or Be Dead" and "Metal Gods" are probably their most underrated for me. Both simple, fun songs, and Bruce sounds absolutely demonic on the former track.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:19 am 

Favorite Priest song is "Victim of Changes."

Favorite Maiden one is actually pretty hard to nail down - maybe "Wasted Years" or "The Evil That Men Do."

I never get people who want to say only one of them is great. I mean sure, personal taste and all that boring shit. But they're both classics, goddammit.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:26 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
I've never heard more than the first song off Painkiller. My life's been wasted.

That is really a waste. Because there are actually more interesting songs on that album.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:38 am 

My first JP song was Never Satisfied. Highly underrated album, Rocka Rolla.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:51 am 

"Desert Plains" is their best "Rock" song.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:10 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
I think my introduction to Judas Priest might've been through hearing Turbo Lover in Gran Turismo 3.

This was my exact same introduction, haha. It was one of my favorite songs on the game. :-D

As for favorite Priest song on my end, it's the Stained Class title track, hands down. One of my personal top 3 metal tracks ever, and that song has probably my fave gallop riff, my fave Priest solo, and those verses, man, they kill! It's my favorite from them, I love it. Of course, not that anyone expected that, or anything..

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:20 am 

'You've Got Another Thing Comin' from Vice City's soundtrack was the first JP song I heard. Favourite song from them these days is in fact 'Painkiller', because yes.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:46 am 

Man, the more I listen to this Werwolf song, the more I'm convinced it's one of the finest bm songs ever written. The melodies fit together perfectly, the sense of dynamics hella on fleek, the keyboards come in at the exact moment they need to for extra oomph etc. etc. Basically it all just flows seamlessly.

My Priest introduction was "Breaking the Law." I remember seeing the music video after school one day and laughing at how shit it was, but the song was pretty cool.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:05 am 

I've got the True Werwolf Endless Journeys comp and it sounds nothing like that. Then again, the material on the comp was recorded almost a decade before that. That's a good song, but would be better if it were 50% rawer IMO. And that main riff sounds a lot like something else I've heard.

I spoke with Werwolf at a concert last year. He asked me if the beer I was drinking was any good.

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:38 am 

I was almost certain this would be a slammin' wigger beatdown band. Now I'm just confused.
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Loo ... 3540421768

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:38 am 

First day of class and I finally got my schedule. I only have class three days a week! Stoked.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:47 am 

Today begins my 2nd semester of my first year. Managed to finish with a mid-high A in each class last time, hoping to do so again. Surprised I'm so excited. The motivation is real.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:37 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Yeah they didn't become "pretty meh" before Powerslave. The first two are their best for sure, though. The two that followed are killer as well, though.

Powerslave was when they turned from "heavy metal with some melodic leads" to "melodic leads with some heavy metal".

I wouldn't say the first two are even close to being the best, let alone in the top 5.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:39 pm 

^ Yeah, agreed. Their first two are very cool, special albums and I like them a lot. But Maiden really found their voice with Piece of Mind and got better and better with each subsequent album... SIT and Seventh Son I consider their most advanced, well-rounded and all around great works, the pinnacle of their evolution.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:20 pm 

"Fear of the Dark", "The Wickerman", "Hallowed be thy Name", and "Aces High". I can't narrow it down to one. Hallowed is probably what most people would pick, and I don't really disagree.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:30 pm 

That Werwolf song was indeed good, excellent melodies all around. This one is great too.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:48 pm 

No one has Rime of the Ancient Mariner as their favourite or in their top 3?

As for Judas Priest my favourite songs are Desert Plains, A Touch of Evil and Pain and Pleasure. I also like Evil Fantasies, Ride the Wind and Heavy Metal a lot.

Norrmania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:59 pm 

Just out of curiosity, was wondering how many folks who subscribe to Decibel on here also get the flexi discs and what their thoughts on the discs are? Have you ended up with flexi discs that you thought were really worth the extra subscription money?

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:07 pm 

TheWaltzer wrote:

Anyways, it's "Hallowed Be Thy Name" or "Infinite Dreams" for Maiden, and for Priest, there's way too many to choose from for me. "The Sentinel" is a fine pick, though.

Has anyone made one of the day-long youtube videos with just the chorus of 'The Angel and the Gambler'? And if that song wasn't bad enough, it also features one of the worst music videos of all time. It's like "Iron Maiden rock out in space because Earth was sick and tired of their 2 day long choruses".

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:09 pm 

The first two forever, always. It's fun when drone and I agree on something! I appreciate Number of the Beast a lot, as well, because so much of it still sounds like the first two album. The debut in particular is as perfect as an album can get. No one but Di'anno could have pulled off those songs. Strange World is my shit. Running Free is my anthem.

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:15 pm 

Festivus wrote:
No one has Rime of the Ancient Mariner as their favourite or in their top 3?

As for Judas Priest my favourite songs are Desert Plains, A Touch of Evil and Pain and Pleasure. I also like Evil Fantasies, Ride the Wind and Heavy Metal a lot.

Looks like I showed up just in time! Rime of the Ancient Mariner is my favourite Maiden song, with Children of the Damned and Alexander the Great being next in line.

As far as Priest songs go, Genocide, One Shot at Glory, and The Sentinel are all a toss up for my favourite.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:23 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
It's fun when drone and I agree on something!

Indeed! One of the most likable people on the board agreeing with one of the most German ones. Wow!

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:24 pm 

I lold

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:24 pm 

The first Maiden song I heard was Run to the Hills. I didn't really like it. The second song I heard was The Trooper, and I loved it, which got me to explore the band further. Eventually I got to realize the Run to the Hills intro was great, and that allowed me to appreciate the rest of the song. The Trooper and Hallowed Be Thy Name are my favorite Maiden songs.

The first Priest songs I heard were Breaking the Law and You've Got Another Thing Coming. I thought they were both crap, and couldn't understand why Priest was so legendary. Then I got my first Priest album, Sad Wings of Destiny, and I was floored. Favorite songs probably Dreamer Deceiver/Deceiver and Island of Domination. I eventually learned to appreciate Breaking the Law, but I still think You've Got Another Thing Coming kinda sucks.

On the topic of weird first albums by bands, here are some for me:

Iron Maiden: Either Piece of Mind or Brave New World, I forgot which.
Amorphis: Am Universum
Therion: Lepaca Kliffoth. I'm really glad this was the first one I got, as it is in my top 2 Therion albums (the other one is Symphony Masses)
Iced Earth: The Glorious Burden
Ozzy Osbourne: First studio album was Down to Earth, first album overall was The Ozzman Cometh comp.
In Flames: Lunar Strain
Gamma Ray: Sigh No More

Not my FIRST album, but my second Sabbath album was Live Evil. I had no idea who Ronnie James Dio was or that Sabbath ever existed without Ozzy, but I dug it right away. I'm really glad I got this album so early in my Sabbath collection, as it allowed me to not be brainwashed into thinking Sabbath ceased to be good after Ozzy left.

Last edited by DoomMetalAlchemist on Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:25 pm 

Napero wrote:
Indeed! One of the most likable people on the board agreeing with one of the most German ones. Wow!

I don't think Jonpo is all that German.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:42 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
TheWaltzer wrote:

Has anyone made one of the day-long youtube videos with just the chorus of 'The Angel and the Gambler'? And if that song wasn't bad enough, it also features one of the worst music videos of all time. It's like "Iron Maiden rock out in space because Earth was sick and tired of their 2 day long choruses".

I don't mind The Angel and the Gambler. it's just way too long.

And btw, I understand that song comes from Maiden's worst era and while I agree that Virtual XI is a mediocre album, I find The X Factor quite underrated. Also, Man On the Edge is a pretty good song!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:03 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Napero wrote:

I don't think Jonpo is all that German.

:-P

This whole exchange made me pretty happy.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:04 pm 

My first Helloween album was Rabbit Don't Come Easy, so that was pretty weird. It turned me off them for a while, then I heard the Keeper shit and liked that, and then I got into the really awesome Deris albums.

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:12 pm 

Actually, the first Priest records I got into were Jugulator and Demolition. My elder brother listened to some of the Halford records a lot, so I wanted to be different, I guess. (I was 11 when Demolition came out, mind you).
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:13 pm 

Festivus wrote:
Man on the Edge is a pretty good song!

Aside from that appallingly dumb-arsed chorus, I agree. Replace the endless "falling down" crap with some mean instrumental passages, and Man on the Edge becomes a damn fine song.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:37 pm 

My first Savatage album was Wake of Magellan. :P A bit different though as that was right when I got into metal, so I liked all sorts of fluffy theatrical shit. Admittedly I still have a soft spot for it due to nostalgia, but I rarely spin it that often.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 332  Next