Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:19 pm 

I've lost count of how many times I've seen "#NewAlbum" on their Facebook posts, but I'm pumped for a new release from Warbringer. They're one of the best new age thrash bands, and I think they really have the potential to bring thrash back to the metal forefront and compete with the classic bands. From the little music there is in the video below, I really like what I hear.

Also, just to make things a little more fun, what is everyone's favourite album by them, and what do you think of Warbringer in general? I personally think Waking Into Nightmares, Worlds Torn Asunder, and IV: Empires Collapse are interchangeable in terms of being my favourite.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:22 pm 

I've yet to check out their other albums, but their debut kicks some serious ass. I have some serious listening to do.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:28 pm 

Opened for them way back when... cool guys and one of the better modern thrash exports that put their nose to the grindstone and deliver. Shame about the lineup issues.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:32 pm 

Carlos Cruz is a fantastic drummer.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:15 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Opened for them way back when... cool guys and one of the better modern thrash exports that put their nose to the grindstone and deliver. Shame about the lineup issues.

Is your band on the Archives? :D

Funny thing is, I was never aware of the stability issues regarding the lineup until you and someone else mentioned them. They seem to have found their style with Waking Into Nightmares, and I haven't heard any major stylistic changes after that, despite having multiple lineup changes.

Edit: Nevermind, I found your band.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:23 pm 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
[...] but their debut kicks some serious ass.

Their debut is actually pretty terrible and uninspired. They got amazing on Waking Into Nightmares and snowballed that into their following albums.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:36 pm 

Warbringer is my favourite modern thrash band. All 4 albums are really good and have something to offer. There is definitely a progression from the first record to the most recent, although I think they hit their stride on Waking Into Nightmares. Kevill's voice is perfect for thrash, and the band just unleashes a constant flurry of great riffs. The most recent album has some experimentation, which is only occasionally effective, but I still enjoyed it. They're another entity altogether live. Even if you don't like their music that much, it's hard to imagine leaving a Warbringer show dissatisfied.

The lineup issues are troubling, but I believe Carlos Cruz is a really important factor for the band now. He plays basically every instrument (he records some of the guitars too) and I could be wrong, but I always assumed the more technical influence comes from him given that he was in Hexen. I think as long as Kevill and Cruz are there, Warbringer will be ok. I'm looking forward to the new album a lot.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:47 pm 

These guys were a huge part of me exploring metal beyond the classics. Definitely the greatest local band of our my little Socal metal bubble. They definitely hustle crazy hard. I remember the tour cycles for War Without End and Waking Into Nightmares were insanely lengthy for such a fresh band. Afterwards (2009) they had this great big "homecoming" show at the Ventura Theater with Exmortus and this tight deathcore band Fallen Figure. Shit was BONKERS, super packed, everyone thrashing like a maniac, whiplash, etc etc. Kevill is such a great frontman, I still can remember the faces he made, the throat-slitting motions and how he'd pretend to shoot us with machine guns and we'd all act like we died. Apparently my mom used to work with Ryan Bates mom, so they managed to hook me up with a signed copy of the debut. Super nice guys!

Though I will say, around 2011 thrash dropped off my radar in a major way. So when I checked out Worlds Turned Asunder it kinda went in one ear and out the other. I remember listening to it and not really feeling the middle few tracks. And when I finally perked up again and got super into the song, it turned out to be the fucking Bathory cover :lol: Will have to give it another chance, and finally check out the 4th album too.

FasterDisaster wrote:
stainedclass2112 wrote:
[...] but their debut kicks some serious ass.

Their debut is actually pretty terrible and uninspired. They got amazing on Waking Into Nightmares and snowballed that into their following albums.

I definitely can't back this. The production is a little odd, but every song except maybe Hell on Earth, Dread Command and Instruments of Torture are really good. Though the old stuff sounds better live, sure. I can't imagine a Warbringer show ending any other way than with Combat Shock.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Last edited by flexodus on Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:34 pm 

I'd say Waking Into Nightmares and Worlds Torn Asunder are their best works. They have a unique tone to them compared to their peers and the songwriting is pretty consistent. I do like the other two well enough but their impressions aren't quite as deep. I do kick myself a bit for missing them when they came to Indianapolis recently.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:03 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:

I agree with TheExodusAttack on this. I think they did a great job on the debut; I think uninspired is a funny way of describing it because if anything, it's TOO inspired. It's just a mean, gritty channeling of old school thrash energy and I like that. It's almost way too ridiculous for its own good and I love that. Not to mention it thrashes fuck from chimpan A to chimpan Z, to borrow a quote.

InsaneSniper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:50 am 

Overall, a solid band. Worlds Torn Asunder is my favorite album of theirs, and that's almost entirely because of "Living Weapon". Holy shit, that song completely slays.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:58 am 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It's just a mean, gritty channeling of old school thrash energy and I like that.

Every WarBringer album post-War Without End has accomplished what you appear to praise their debut for. An old school mentality, competent vocal work, a drummer who doesn't suck (don't get me started on this), old-school thrash riffs with a modern twist, awesome, thick production and just all-around great songs. Their debut is the exact opposite of everything I stated.

Fortunately, Warbringer realized how terrible their debut was and have course-corrected to produce material that is eons above what War Without End was. "Whirlwind" and "Living Weapon" both blow the entirety of War Without End out of the water. Like, holy shit.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:03 am 

Did I not say that I haven't heard anything else from them? The debut is all I know, so I have no bearing on what is or isn't the strongest release from them. If their other stuff is as good as you say, then I'm excited to hear it. I plan on listening to Waking into Nightmares later.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:08 am 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
Did I not say that I haven't heard anything else from them? The debut is all I know, so I have no bearing on what is or isn't the strongest release from them. If their other stuff is as good as you say, then I'm excited to hear it. I plan on listening to Waking into Nightmares later.

My post wasn't addressing what you have or have not heard post-War Without End - only that you should listen to those albums if you haven't recently, or at all.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:08 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
"Whirlwind" and "Living Weapon" both blow the entirety of War Without End out of the water. Like, holy shit.

Well, youre not wrong there. "Abandoned by Time" is the big highlight for me. Also I like the inclusion of death vocals on "Shadow from the Tomb", though it's not the best song itself.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:17 am 

Well, there is an obvious sloppiness on War Without End, but I don't think that is a deal breaker at all. It's kind of like Megadeth's debut; mildly sloppy, but extremely aggressive and in your face. Also, @TheExodusAttack, I disagree about "Hell On Earth" and "Dread Command" being bad songs, and I love the riffs for the intro on the latter.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:23 am 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
Well, there is an obvious sloppiness on War Without End, but I don't think that is a deal breaker at all. It's kind of like Megadeth's debut; mildly sloppy, but extremely aggressive and in your face. Also, @TheExodusAttack, I disagree about "Hell On Earth" and "Dread Command" being bad songs, and I love the riffs for the intro on the latter.

I wouldn't quite say that they're bad songs, but I just don't remember them being obvious highlights like At the Crack of Doom, Beneath the Waves, or Shoot to Kill :)

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:47 am 

The only really good song on War Without End was that "Night Slasher" bonus track.

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:20 pm 

Yep, I think they're THE best modern thrash band so it's safe to say I'm considerably stoked about a new album. My favourite: Waking into Nightmares. Kicks some serious ass. Having said that, my favourite song is probably "Shattered Like Glass".

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:27 pm 

I can see the argument for the debut being less interesting and super derivative, but I find that both Total War and Combat Shock stand far above the rest of the material on that album (and I do like all of the songs on the record). It is definitely on the sloppy side though. They got so much tighter on the second album (I'm sure Gary Holt producing helped out too).

AmIKevill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:58 pm 

Hey guys! Kevill here. Saw this thread (I lurk here sometimes, found a lot of the music I love via this site)

Glad to see such support here! Had to register just to say that, haha.

We are early in week 2 of recording, going excellent. Me/Adam Carroll/Carlos Cruz wrote this whole thing.

I put the last 3 years into this, I've been on a goddamn mission to make this record. It >will< be awesome. We've put in too much effort for it not to be.

Only 8 songs this time, goal is for 0 percent filler The goofy punk rock stuff on empires is gone, i worked with that material on the record in an attempt to keep John Laux happy, he quit regardless, lesson learned. We have probably the most fast and brutal side A of any warbringer record yet, and side B is more progressive/darkly melodic. We wrap up the record with an 11 minute song in 5 movements.

GOING FOR IT!!!

Thanks to all you for your support. Ill be lurking here if anyone has any questions re:warbringer. Cheers!

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:03 pm 

I think Worlds Torn Asunder is my favorite from them. War Without End was exciting, but badly produced, and the band had yet to find their identity; the album felt like generic brutal thrash. Waking Into Nightmares was pretty badass, but I prefer WTA slightly more. I actually never listened to their fourth album, but when I saw them on their last tour the songs they played from it sounded killer.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:22 pm 

Every song on Waking into Nightmares thrashes my faces off. :headbang:

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:00 pm 

Waking into Nightmares definitely was when they got it right, Worlds Torn Asunder is also a contender for their best work.

And despite everyone's issues with War Without End, I like it quite a bit. Though I kinda prefer the versions of some songs off WWE that appeared on their One By One, the Wicked Fall EP more.

Tons of fun to see live too, last time I saw them their singer was noticeably under the weather, but they put on an awesome show regardless.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:04 pm 

Just listened to their second album and it kicked ass, I like it more than the debut now. One of the best modern thrash albums I've ever heard actually.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:35 pm 

Now that I think about it, I think Waking Into Nightmares just might be Warbringer's best album. It's very likely that my opinion will change, as usual.

Fuck, scratch that. I genuinely can't choose one. They all have something great to offer. War Without End is out of the picture though.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:01 am 

AmIKevill wrote:
Hey guys! Kevill here. Saw this thread (I lurk here sometimes, found a lot of the music I love via this site)

Glad to see such support here! Had to register just to say that, haha.

We are early in week 2 of recording, going excellent. Me/Adam Carroll/Carlos Cruz wrote this whole thing.

I put the last 3 years into this, I've been on a goddamn mission to make this record. It >will< be awesome. We've put in too much effort for it not to be.

Only 8 songs this time, goal is for 0 percent filler The goofy punk rock stuff on empires is gone, i worked with that material on the record in an attempt to keep John Laux happy, he quit regardless, lesson learned. We have probably the most fast and brutal side A of any warbringer record yet, and side B is more progressive/darkly melodic. We wrap up the record with an 11 minute song in 5 movements.

GOING FOR IT!!!

Thanks to all you for your support. Ill be lurking here if anyone has any questions re:warbringer. Cheers!

Thanks for the update, that sounds awesome! Saw you guys live back in 2011 in Frederick MD with probably ten other people in the audience, you guys still played your asses off and it made for a great show. Really excited to hear the new material.

AmIKevill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:26 am 

praey wrote:

Thanks for the update, that sounds awesome! Saw you guys live back in 2011 in Frederick MD with probably ten other people in the audience, you guys still played your asses off and it made for a great show. Really excited to hear the new material.

Thanks man! Yeah, in my view any musician worth their salt plays hard whenever they play, despite any circumstance.

I think you'll like new material. I think this record will end the dicussion of "what's the best Warbringer record." That's my hope, anyhow. Some of these songs have sat in my head for over 2 years and are finally gonna be songs now, I love that.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:55 am 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
Just listened to their second album and it kicked ass, I like it more than the debut now. One of the best modern thrash albums I've ever heard actually.

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
Now that I think about it, I think Waking Into Nightmares just might be Warbringer's best album. It's very likely that my opinion will change, as usual.

Fuck, scratch that. I genuinely can't choose one. They all have something great to offer. War Without End is out of the picture though.

lol. Are you both going through their other records for the first time right now?

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:51 am 

^No, I listen to Warbringer a lot, and I have their last two albums on CD. I just think they're all top notch albums and I can't for the life of choose which one I like the most. I wouldn't start a thread for a band I barely listen to.

AmIKevill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:38 pm 

Made a long ass post in metal discussion on my thoughts now on our first record. Read if interested- if people care, I'll do one of those for each of the records

Hatman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:58 pm 

Excited for this album. Empires Collapse is my favorite by the band so far, so it would be a great achievement if this one tops it.

MorbidBlood wrote:
It's just too brutal for the normal listeners.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:06 pm 

In response to the shitty new Havok song, here's a new one by these guys.

I like it, but it could have been better. Definitely looking forward to the new album.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:49 pm 

I liked it a lot, but I wish it was going full speed the entire time. Can't really decide which song I like better between this and Havok, but I have more faith in Warbringer to put out a great full record.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:35 pm 

This was miles ahead of the new Havok song. I really liked this track. Very excited about new Warbringer.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:24 am 

Didn't blow my socks off or anything but I liked it. Warbringer has been one of the best rethrash bands without question since at least the second album. I still don't think they're ever going to write a song is ridiculously perfect as Living Weapon again, but I'm definitely interested to hear the rest.

Could not friggin' stand the video though. I'm not one to get motion sickness or disoriented or anything but the camera "headbanging" the whole time was unbearable.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

TimeDoesNotHeal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:32 am 

Completely agreed about Living Weapon. That bridge riff is perfection. I've always been somewhat lukewarm on Warbringer, but the first 2 songs on Worlds Torn Asunder are amazing.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:33 am 

Fucking hate the word "rethrash". Master's gettin' upset!

"Living Weapon" is a great song, but I can think of songs just as good. They're getting better and better with each album. I'm sure this one will be another display of their continuing progression.

TimeDoesNotHeal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:38 am 

I always thought that "rethrash" referred to extremely generic, one-note thrash bands from last decade, not new thrash in general. Bands like Lich King are what I think when I think of rethrash.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:40 am 

Glad they're back to the gimmick of titling their album starting with the letter W.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next