Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Emptiness Cycle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:10 pm 

For me, it's all about "Hollow Earth". Apparently certain satellite imagery websites have displayed what appears to be huge caves and holes in Antartica. I have an over-active mind.

Haunted Shirt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:01 am 

Emptiness Cycle wrote:
For me, it's all about "Hollow Earth". Apparently certain satellite imagery websites have displayed what appears to be huge caves and holes in Antartica. I have an over-active mind.

Isn't one of the theories related to that is that's where Hitler and the Nazis went into hiding after the war?

Last edited by Haunted Shirt on Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NTT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:18 pm 

That's my favorite 'crazy theory' about what happened after WW2. Nazis flee to Antartica where they had been building in the caverns since their New Schwabenland expedition in 1938. They encounter ETs (Nordics or Reptilians) and get advanced tech. Parts of this really hold up because they WERE building UFO ships, and many SS engineers went missing after WW2. Hitler's body was never recovered. The largest Nazi transport plane was last spotted MONTHS after the war off the coast of South America. 54 U-Boats were unaccounted for after the war....it goes on.

And then America sailed a whole battleship fleet to antarctica in 1947 "Operation Highjump" and according to Admiral Byrd they were defeated by flying craft that could "fly pole to pole at incredible speeds". That Operation really happened. That still blows my mind. Even today the South Pole is a no fly zone.

Off all the UFO jargon, Operation Highjump is my favorite. It should absolutely be a movie one day.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:22 pm 

Yeah the truth is a boring pill to swallow for some. Gotta come up with alien theories and elaborate fantastical escape methods rather than Hilter was a foolish insane idiot and refused leaving the bunker, who thought his army could win and failed miserably.

Haunted Shirt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:05 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Yeah the truth is a boring pill to swallow for some. Gotta come up with alien theories and elaborate fantastical escape methods rather than Hilter was a foolish insane idiot and refused leaving the bunker, who thought his army could win and failed miserably.
I think its semi reasonable that he escaped. Not necessarily to Antarctica, but possibly South America with all the other Nazis.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:24 am 

TheSouthernViking
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:48 pm 

My favorite conspiracy theory (that I believe) is that Kurt Cobain was murdered.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:02 pm 

TheSouthernViking wrote:
My favorite conspiracy theory (that I believe) is that Kurt Cobain was murdered.

The thing that never sat quite right with me is how he was able to reach the trigger, yet end up in the position he did. People get hung up on the fact that he would have been incapacitated by the amount of drugs in his system, but I don't think that closes the argument, since tolerance plays a huge role.

Came across this the other night, pretty interesting mystery: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamam_Shud_case
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

The Crazy Old School Music Fan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:25 pm 

One of the more interesting unexplained phenomena is the man from Taured. While it appears the story is rather divisive, it is a very interesting one nonetheless.

tl;dr: A man in Tokyo claims to be from a country called Taured, which is allegedly located where modern day Andorra is, and the man was taken to a local hotel and was guarded. Anyways, the man disappeared the next day and has never been seen since.

TheSouthernViking wrote:

It's a very interesting one that may or may not have credibility. I would like to find out more about it with the amount of technological advances we've had since then.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:34 pm 

Diamhea wrote:

The thing that never sat quite right with me is how he was able to reach the trigger, yet end up in the position he did. People get hung up on the fact that he would have been incapacitated by the amount of drugs in his system, but I don't think that closes the argument, since tolerance plays a huge role.

Came across this the other night, pretty interesting mystery: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamam_Shud_case

I came across that because of the Destroyer 666 song. Google, man.

Those weird unsolved murder/disappearance stories are always fascinating. Cracked has done several lists on this kind of thing.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:20 pm 

Do cryptids count here? I rarely mention it because I don't want to be labeled as crazy or anything like that, but I saw an actual, factual Sasquatch while living in the Pacific Northwest. Clear as day, about 500 feet from me on the other side of a rail yard which is adjacent to a hill covered in evergreen trees. Unfortunately at the time my phone had no charge and was unable to get a photo or video footage of the dude.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:56 pm 

iAm wrote:
Do cryptids count here? I rarely mention it because I don't want to be labeled as crazy or anything like that, but I saw an actual, factual Sasquatch while living in the Pacific Northwest. Clear as day, about 500 feet from me on the other side of a rail yard which is adjacent to a hill covered in evergreen trees. Unfortunately at the time my phone had no charge and was unable to get a photo or video footage of the dude.

Your story is very original and therefore incredibly believable.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:04 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
iAm wrote:

Hey man, I wouldn't lie about something like that :(

TheSouthernViking
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:09 pm 

Another fact from Cobain's death: He did NOT overdose. I forget the actual percentage, but there was almost no drugs in him. And the Post Mortem determined that it was not a factor in his "suicide".

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:09 pm 

iAm wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

Hey man, I wouldn't lie about something like that :(

Certainly not.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:39 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Certainly not.

:fuck:

But alas, it happened. Call me crazy if you want.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:25 pm 

iAm wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:
Certainly not.

:fuck:

But alas, it happened. Call me crazy if you want.

Ha ha, I'm not calling you crazy, but you must admit that your description almost perfectly mirrors so damn many "sightings" of Sasquatch/Bigfoot/Nessie/Chupachabra/Mothman/Jersey Devil/Spring-Heeled Jack/etc./etc. over the ages. Initially, I figured you were joking knowing full well you were just repeating that idea. I'm not yet convinced you're not just doing that.

I mean, 500 feet away, beyond a rail yard, by a hill, near a shitload of trees. Didn't have my camera/phone you guys, oops. That's a good distance away, and it could have been pretty much anything, and factoring in optical illusions, mistaken identity, and just plain old pareidolia, it's just as easy to state that you effectively saw nothing of note.

I don't know how predisposed you are to seeing things like this, but people who want to see UFOs, tend to see UFOs. I even watched a show on History or something years ago (when the channel was good) that showed a woman video taping "UFOs and strange lights" in the sky. She wanted to see UFOs. She was recording passenger planes, with unmistakable blinking lights... oh, and the obvious sound of jet engines. She was fucking close enough to record the engine noise. But she wanted to see flying saucers.

On top of all this, humans are just fucking terrible eyewitnesses. Memories get foggy, we are over-confident in what we've seen or what we think we've seen. I have memories of statements, but I can't remember if I said it or someone else did. When we remember something, we're actually remembering the last time we "remembered" it. Our brains play their very own game of telephone, and they do it with our memories. If you were scared, nervous, tense, or in some other "extreme" emotional state, or close, that further muddies memory.

Statistically, we need to accept a surprisingly grim reality (depending on your point of view) on these kinds of things. Cryptids, aliens, flying saucers, monsters, ghosts, etc. We actually seemed to have a lot more images of such things when cameras were relatively rare. When they were a more cumbersome machine that required some understanding to use well. Now, everyone has a fucking camera. The camera in my Galaxy S7 Active is the best camera I ever owned, and it's not even the best camera Samsung makes. It's crammed into a ruggedized phone.

Yet, with all these cameras in the world, sightings and photographs of such things seems to have fallen to an all-time low. Ghosts, for instance, have an entire, very interesting history with cameras. From old techniques of double-exposure showing full human-shaped apparitions graduating to bizarre spirit photography showing icky ectoplasm oozing from the faces of so-called psychics. As we learned more about cameras and how the technology worked, the techniques of faking this stuff evolved. Now, they resort to snapping shots of out-of-focus dust and calling it "spirit orbs" as if that means anything at all. Even if that shit were really ghosts, and it's not, that's a pretty fucking stupid afterlife. Why even champion that shit? "I can't wait to die, so I can float around as a fucking glowing ball indistinguishable from floating out of focus dust."

Back to Sasquatch--in order for that species to survive at all, they'd need a breeding population. One large enough that we'd all fucking know about them. A rather large breeding population. They wouldn't be able to hide, there'd be tons of photographs, there'd be populations in zoos, and Jane Goodall would have learned to talk to them already. I mean, when you have this knowledge, the statistical probability of you actually seeing sasquatch drops to almost zero. A bummer, I'm sure, but there it is.

I don't mean to rip on you or anything, I used to be a huge believer in all this stuff. But as the years went on, and I learned more, and I understood science better, my "paranormal" beliefs dropped by the wayside. I still love the stories. I just love the skepticism and rationality better.

So no sir, I'm not going to call you crazy. There are plenty of much better explanations! :-D

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:32 pm 

I miss the show Unsolved Mysteries with Robert Stack, one of the best ever.

Anyone remember the story of Angela Hammond? It was such a sad and terrifying true story.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:52 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
wall of text

I'm not ruling out it was a hoax either. Considering how popular bigfoot is in the Northwest, maybe the UP guys or whomever owned the railyard have some fun and go all scooby doo to ward off campers from getting too close to the tracks and give the tourists something to brag about in return. I've always been a skeptic of this kinda stuff, but seeing it in person changed my perspective.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:44 pm 

I'm pretty fascinated by Sasquatch. Can you elaborate any more on your story? What was the creature doing? How long did you watch it for?

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:58 pm 

Razakel wrote:
I'm pretty fascinated by Sasquatch. Can you elaborate any more on your story? What was the creature doing? How long did you watch it for?

Well, I was at this convenience store eating a bowl of ramen on their front porch. I looked up at the far side of the hill and I noticed something pretty large moving outside of the trees and entering this clearing- I thought it might be a bear or an elk or something because it was definitely much bigger than your average human. It had to easily have been 8 feet with some hefty bulk and really long arms. The creature walked like a yard into the clearing before it noticed me and looked at me dead on for like thirty seconds, and then really awkwardly and ape-like ran to the other side of the clearing disappearing into the trees.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:19 pm 

TheSouthernViking wrote:
Another fact from Cobain's death: He did NOT overdose. I forget the actual percentage, but there was almost no drugs in him. And the Post Mortem determined that it was not a factor in his "suicide".

Actually, there was a great amount of heroin in his system, according to what I've read. Do you happen to remember the source of your statement?
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:59 am 

If I remember correctly from the television/radio/magazines at that time there was plenty of heroin in his system and that is probably what did him in. Unfortunately.

Last edited by Face_your_fear_79 on Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:52 am 

Luvers666 wrote:

Anyone remember the story of Angela Hammond? It was such a sad and terrifying true story.

Great show, but no. I wish I did remember that case. Sad to read it was so tragic.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:18 am 

I often wonder what this thread thinks of James Randi the debunker? I think he is awesome at what he does.

If any one is wondering he is the man who goes around investigating paranormal claims and puts them down by debunking them meaning essentially proving them wrong. And it works because he is really good at the art of debunking the paranormal.

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:45 am 

Face_your_fear_79 wrote:
Luvers666 wrote:

Great show, but no. I wish I did remember that case. Sad to read it was so tragic.
The case in question. There is a video included there, unfortunately it is from the Dennis Farina era of the show and not the immortal Robert Stack.
Face_your_fear_79 wrote:
And it works because he is really good at the art of debunking the paranormal.
It is not hard to debunk anything paranormal since the paranormal does not exist and everyone arguing for it are disreputable charlatans.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:00 am 

Face_your_fear_79 wrote:
I often wonder what this thread thinks of James Randi the debunker? I think he is awesome at what he does.

If any one is wondering he is the man who goes around investigating paranormal claims and puts them down by debunking them meaning essentially proving them wrong. And it works because he is really good at the art of debunking the paranormal.

James Randi is the middle ground that connects Harry Houdini with Penn & Teller: Magicians that went on to become debunkers of fraudsters. The man is brilliant and an important part of modern skepticism. He's kept up the good fight for most of his life, and the man just turned 89.

This thread in part inspired me to go looking for Is It Real?, a show from the National Geographic channel which is no longer on Netflix and apparently only available for purchase on Amazon. This show did paranormal shit and mysteries properly: With a skeptical slant, rationality, and hard scientific explanations. James Randi appears on several episodes.

Randi's biography, An Honest Liar, is still on Netflix as I recall. It's very much something to watch. Same with Penn & Teller's Bullshit, with the only exception being maybe skip the environmental episodes, or at least take them with a grain of salt. They were global warming deniers for a bit too long.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:58 am 

chaos_orb wrote:
My favorite is the unsolved murder in Hinterkaifeck in 1922, but read for yourself.
There are lots of sites about it, just google it (most are in german, though).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinterkaifeck_murders

"Evidence showed that the younger Cäzilia had been alive for several hours after the assault — she had torn her hair out in tufts while lying in the straw, next to the bodies of her grandparents and her mother. "

Jesus Christ.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:23 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
The most elusive unsolved mystery is why and how so many people voted for Trump! I am so topical you guys~

But seriously, the Bashir Kouchacji creepy-ass phone calls case has gotta be one of the most unsettling and creepy things I've ever heard of. I most certainly would never have put up with 9 years of that shit.

What would you have done?
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:40 am 

Unity wrote:
I guess my favourite unsolved mystery has always been the Bélmez Faces. Scared me shitless when I was a kid:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A9lmez_Faces

Freakish

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:22 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:
The most elusive unsolved mystery is why and how so many people voted for Trump! I am so topical you guys~

But seriously, the Bashir Kouchacji creepy-ass phone calls case has gotta be one of the most unsettling and creepy things I've ever heard of. I most certainly would never have put up with 9 years of that shit.

What would you have done?

Unplug the phone and cry into my whiskey.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:01 pm 

You and I both.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:51 pm 

The Dyatlov Pass Incident - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

Since I'm always last in on everything around here, I'm sure you all knew about the Kauan album Sorna Nai they wrote about it. I'm just discovering all this now and am really enjoying this album.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:21 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:

Do you have a link to this? I've never heard of it. Was curious if you had something other than Wikipedia before I just... go to Wikipedia.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:22 am 

why wrote:
My favorite mystery is the voynich manuscript, a book written in a completely unknown script, weird illustrations and completely unclear purpose.
Probably written between 1403 and 1438, even this Verge article released in 2014 can't deliver on it's promises of a supposed cracking of the code.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/28/5453596/voynich-manuscript-decrypting-the-most-mysterious-book-in-the-world

And here is the thing itself:
https://archive.org/details/TheVoynichManuscript

I think the Voynich manuscript is interesting, but I also think people want it to be more than it is. I agree that Crackedis probably right on this (it did appear in two separate columns, one of which still noted the mystery of the object), and that the entire thing is just deliberate bullshit.

Hoaxes, incorrect history, fake artifacts and documents of all kinds have existed for ages. For instance, there is no historical record--anywhere--to support the slavery or exodus of Jews pertaining to ancient Egypt, but there is ample archaeological evidence that the pyramids were built by citizens and skilled architects. This is a fake story that goes back over 2 or 3000 years. The shroud of Turin, too, dates from only around the 1500's and, by the way, does not look like a Middle Eastern person, but a Caucasian person.

Creative people and artisans existed when the Voynich manuscript was created. It's mostly likely just a piece of ancient art.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:18 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:

One thing that I always remember about this... what's with the lowest body in this picture? Is that a mask, or decomposition effect?

NSFW
Spoiler: show
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:03 am 

The Voynich Manuscript is essentially the same thing as the Codex Seraphinianus, which was written in the early 1980s- just an interesting and creative work of art designed to resemble an otherworldly tome of knowledge.

It's still pretty cool though, even if it's not exactly an "unsolved mystery."

Lolpah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:16 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
The Voynich Manuscript is essentially the same thing as the Codex Seraphinianus, which was written in the early 1980s- just an interesting and creative work of art designed to resemble an otherworldly tome of knowledge.

That is not certain by any means, the Voynich manuscript exhibits many subtle features that are only noticeable with modern knowledge that a 15th century hoaxer would have no knowledge of and no reason to fake.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:32 am 

Lolpah wrote:
Oxenkiller wrote:

That is not certain by any means, the Voynich manuscript exhibits many subtle features that are only noticeable with modern knowledge that a 15th century hoaxer would have no knowledge of and no reason to fake.

Such as?

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:02 am 

Diamhea wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:

One thing that I always remember about this... what's with the lowest body in this picture? Is that a mask, or decomposition effect?

NSFW
Spoiler: show

Ugh. It looks like the Michael Myers mask.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next