Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:30 pm 

Actually I believe he has quite a history of writing nonsense bios, I remember him... I see now he only recently resumed here... I also hadn't noticed he reached veteran status :o

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:32 pm 

Just checked a few more of his edits and already found several more mistakes. Someone needs to take a closer look, I'm sure there are many more. Him reaching veteran is a dangerous combination.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:06 pm 

I just have, and I killed almost all of his bios he added this month. You can see my modification history, for a quick look at how bad they were. My most recent might have been relevant, I'm not sure, but all the rest were pretty bad. I also remember him, he was just the same a long time ago (and he has had messages from mods before), and it seems he has only recently made a return. I thought exactly the same as you about him having veteran status.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:41 am 

Speaking of shitty bios added by band members: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/1572/3540421235

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

cranial crusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:18 am 

Are additional notes like this and this allowed?

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:45 pm 

Removed. The links were broken anyway. Generally, though, such links belong under "Related links", not on the main page.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:37 am 

if a DVD has both video and "only" audio tracks, how do I differentiate them in the entry? or shall I just list the audio tracks in the notes?

also, is there point noting the regions for DVDs?

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:35 pm 

q1: What do you mean, aloof? MP3 files or similar formats? Could you provide a link to the release in question?
q2: I believe there isn't.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:21 am 

Spoiler: show
Image Image

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:11 am 

Personally, I'd list them in the additional notes. Same goes for the "bootleg video tracks"; so, I believe the parent version can use some editing, too--especially that the line-up lists those who performed on the main event, and not necessarily on those extra tracks.
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Gr ... akow/48789

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:43 am 

I was about to make a report on a band seemingly being in need of NWOBHM being added to their genre, saw that such a report had already been closed, but not with any discussion or explanation included. So, why was it closed without the tag being added? The case for adding it would be that it's a British band formed in '79 and had their first relase in '81 (both those facts are also true for examples with the NWOBHM tag, such as Satan and Grim Reaper), which was their only release at the time of them being added to this site which would suggest that it's metal.

http://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/476077

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:26 am 

The report was likely closed because no song samples were provided. Users are expected to provide the required information, otherwise reports can and will be closed.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:39 pm 

Sure, but since at the time for the band being accepted to the site, they only had the '81 release, which mean that it must have been considered metal by the moderator(s), so wouldn't it be providing the moderators with evidence which they already have accepted?

Basically the event history is:
1. Original submission with evidence that the band have at least one metal release. This one happen happen to be from '81.
2. Moderator(s) accept the band with an '81 release as their one and only, as enough metal by the site's standards.
3. Someone notice that the time for the bands formation, original release, and genre (metal) would mean that they were also part of the NWOBHM.
4. Moderator(s) want evidence that their '81 release was metal enough by the site's standards.

Or am I missing something?

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:17 pm 

Dembo wrote:
Sure, but since at the time for the band being accepted to the site, they only had the '81 release, which mean that it must have been considered metal by the moderator(s), so wouldn't it be providing the moderators with evidence which they already have accepted?

Basically the event history is:
1. Original submission with evidence that the band have at least one metal release. This one happen happen to be from '81.
2. Moderator(s) accept the band with an '81 release as their one and only, as enough metal by the site's standards.
3. Someone notice that the time for the bands formation, original release, and genre (metal) would mean that they were also part of the NWOBHM.
4. Moderator(s) want evidence that their '81 release was metal enough by the site's standards.

Or am I missing something?

If I remember correctly, the site regards NWOBHM as its own genre, that's probably why Dia said that the report was probably closed due to no samples being provided.

theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:18 pm 

^ Yes, exactly. Just because we accepted a band doesn't mean we have samples of every one of them handy to refer back to. If you are going to file a report to change the genre, always include samples to back up your claim. Always. Even if you feel it's obvious, otherwise they are likely to get closed.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:00 pm 

I honestly had no idea the site consider NWOBHM a genre rather than a tag for a historically + geographically limited area for any sub-genre of metal. Good to know.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:27 pm 

I think Dia and TUA are both talking policy, which is too general for this specific case. So... I'm not sure how valid your conclusion is, Dembo.
For what it's worth, Lord_Sauron did have a point there, regardless of whether he could provide samples or not.

Relevant text... perhaps.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:58 pm 

Question about "band membership" as far as the site is concerned: there was a previous iteration of my project which had two members and recorded music, but never released anything. The other member left, and the band changed its name to Glass Shrine. I want to release a song from the previous name's period, but under the name of Glass Shrine. Is the member who was only in the previous iteration credited as a full-fledged member of the band for this album, or only as a session member?

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:44 pm 

I'd personally go with crediting him as session musician and explain the situation on the additional notes.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:54 pm 

All four members of Blue Skies Bring Tears were announced to have joined Another Life, most probably as live musicians. However, although they did rehearse [ctrl+F: Another Life], they didn't actually perform--project being on hold or even terminated. I'm thinking of adding such a note to both bands' pages. Would that be enough? Or should they be listed as live musicians or maybe even band members?

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:35 am 

New contributors, please read the note below (keyword: consistency)

1. If a musician has had different roles throughout the band's career, his/her roles should appear as:
Guitars (2000-2005, 2008-present)
Vocals (2000-present)

Not as:
Guitars, Vocals (2000-2005, 2008-present)
Vocals (2005-2008)

Provide year ranges per instrument, not per string of instruments. That's the whole idea of having multiple slots.
Do consult Cursarion's profile for some useful tips on how to do edits. It's very neat.

2. Album line-ups:
- Don't do this: Guitars (lead, track 1) or Guitars (lead, 1st track)

This isn't what the comma's for. Use the comma to separate the type of guitars, e.g.:
Musician 1: Guitars (lead, acoustic)
Musician 2: Guitars (rhythm)

- Do this: Guitars (lead) (track 1)

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:56 am 

I've just added Red Hot Chili Peppers' Chad Smith to the archives, as he's apparently the one who guested on Tarja's albums (see report below). Anyway, I was wondering if someone could scribble write a few lines for the bio section and a few others for the trivia section, so as to block both for newbs. Otherwise, they'll have been filled with all sorts of rubbish by the end of the week.

http://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/590716

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:50 am 

^^without thinking much, I did it, then I realized that Opsius would have wanted the honours and now I'm gonna have to write 250 words on the greatness of Martin-era Sabbath or sthg :/

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:09 am 

They serve their purpose, aloof. Thanks. OC (?) can still build onto that.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:49 pm 

Yeah that's a good idea when a major artist gets added. Keeps people from going overboard with the extraneous trivia.

Verd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:52 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Morgana/34524

Can't the three-lines-long "important" thing be removed and made visible only for registered members as always?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:56 am 

Done.

We didn't always have a moderation warning field, so there's remnants. Feel free to report them for moving whenever you see them.

Sapiens
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:31 pm 

I've found an instance where one artist is in two separate bands and goes by two different aliases. How do I go about updating the info so that there is only one artist page displaying all of their bands and aliases?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:40 pm 

File a duplicate entry report. The button for that is in the right upper corner of any entry. Provide evidence if you can.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:53 am 

Sapiens wrote:
I've found an instance where one artist is in two separate bands and goes by two different aliases. How do I go about updating the info so that there is only one artist page displaying all of their bands and aliases?

Merged. Sorry I did it in such a hurry I couldn't close your reports properly so as to give you points. Anyway, do you happen to know who Alp is in Fedallah? Ahab? If you don't know for sure, never mind.

MasterOfSin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:23 pm 

Hi,

I was check out this report, http://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/594351

I there's a mistake in the band submission, my fault.
The EP The Ablaze http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/De ... aze/618600 belongs to a band from Norway called Devoid of Life, https://www.facebook.com/pg/DevoidLife/ ... e_internal, they play black/death metal so i don't know why i put it as Thrash/Groove metal. The band that is listed i didn't find any valid release.

What we can do?
I change the band information? or we delete and submit again?

Thanks

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:21 pm 

Entry nuked.

Last.fm

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:07 pm 

Is there a policy concerning bands listed as international as regards constant line-up changes.
E.g. http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Exorcism/3540378682
Are we supposed to use the current members' nationalities, i.e. Serbia / Norway / Greece?
The current location is very outdated; there have been many line-up changes (and many nationalities) since. The early/mid/later thing isn't very practical here.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:34 pm 

For international bands, it's best to go with what is current (and not to worry about the early/mid/later stuff).

International bands are an interesting case since the term "International" presumes that the band's location could be everywhere and anywhere at the same time. In essence, such a band's current status is predicated solely on its membership at any given point in time without precluding past membership, since the location is tied to the physical location of the members in any country and at any time. Frankly, my own feeling is that the "location" field really isn't necessary for "International" bands, since it's the individual artists and not the band that seems to matter. Ah well, I hope you get my point.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:29 pm 

Derigin wrote:
For international bands, it's best to go with what is current (and not to worry about the early/mid/later stuff).

I'll do that for now. However...

Derigin wrote:
Frankly, my own feeling is that the "location" field really isn't necessary for "International" bands, since it's the individual artists and not the band that seems to matter. Ah well, I hope you get my point.

...I absolutely get your point, Derigin.

Thanks.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:13 am 

I've separated Daniel Duarte (Chile) (Execrator, Belial, Vesania, etc.) from Daniel Duarte (USA) (Exmortus). Logic. It just made no sense, and I couldn't find a connection. Feel free to re-merge if you know something I don't.

EDIT: On second thought, don't re-merge. Never. I've merged a few more loose entries.
http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/D ... rte/204134 *
http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/D ... uarte/7840

*I'm tempted to merge him with this guy: http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/S ... wer/467829
Need more info.
-Article (artwork by bass player Exmortus):
http://bravewords.com/news/exmortus-str ... g-revealed

Merged. Got a word from the artist himself. Still not the same guy from Chile, though.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:28 pm 

How should I report "missing" lyrical themes in bands? Like, let's say there's a pagan metal band, and I find out their lyrics are NS-related. Since that fact is important for some people, should I report that in the "general update" category or what?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:10 am 

General updates / mistakes.

Midnight Rider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:24 pm 

I have a big question regarding the protocol used for bands that went under a previous name (and didn't release anything under that moniker)

Using this band as an example:

If the band went by the name "Odyssey" from 2011-2015.

· Shouldn't the correct formation year be 2015 instead?
· Shouldn't the members activity range begin on 2015?
· Shouldn't the members that played in "Odyssey" (but not in Odysseus Reborn) be erased from the band's lineup?
· Shouldn't Odyssey be added as an unlisted band for each member who played on it? (ex-Odyssey)

What I'm basically asking... should we treat a band that went under another name as another -unlisted- band?
Because I'm seeing both, so it's a case-by-case situation?

Thanks in advance.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:28 pm 

The EP was released as Odyssey, MR.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 39  Next