PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:06 pm 

I hope your beard catches fire.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:25 pm 

At least he has a beard!

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Rosenthorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:16 am 

Derigin wrote:
Too bad Metalbot is dead!

Bwahahahaha

What/who IS metalbot?

Obey the dolphin!

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:37 am 

Morrigan wrote:
At least he has a beard!

Ahhh burn.

Rosenthorn wrote:
Derigin wrote:
Too bad Metalbot is dead!

Bwahahahaha

What/who IS metalbot?

Metalbot is a bot in the MA IRC channel. It does things like check weather, post links, send reminders to people.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:01 am 

And in Op's case, help him make important life decisions.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:06 am 

Ahhh yes good ole !decide. I like to have metalbot make decisions for me then ignore her when she gives me answers I don't like. For instance "no beer".

Azmodes wrote:

Emptiness Cycle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:17 pm 

I never really got to know metalbot. My fondest memory of her was being able to get her to tell me what I am listening to; even though I already knew.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:47 pm 

you are wrong, you dont really know till metalbot tells ya

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:32 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
The place where Hardcore Database failed, despite decent programming, was that the few contributors were simply tourists wandering over there from MA. There were no oldschool hardcore fans, nobody with collections of thousands of records contributing them - the people with the information simply weren't engaged to populate it, and I don't think it would've been possible. For comparison, take a look at early MA contributor and legendary metal maniac peterott's text-only collection of label catalogues. Incredible. The painstaking manual collection of data like that is incredible, but not something you're likely to find in 2017. While Discogs and other sites have databases of similar data in parallel, there's still nobody quite like metal maniacs.

Bit late, but thanks for your words. When I started the label page in like 2003 or 2004 there was nothing of that sort anywhere except for one or two smaller lists (the correoseum list just started and this thrashmetal-list that I've linked which isn't available anymore since ages it seems) and I started going through my collection and get the list started and pretty fast other people started helping me and contributing items or whole label discographies. And I typed that shit in pure HTML-code with a text-editor... man I was programming Assembler in a text-window as well as GW-Basic...so you'll never change to a grapic-orientated HTML website construction...

However: there are so many false entries in databases (even musik-sammler) that I preferred for a long time my own list (sometimes I asked contributors for pictures to prove one or the other very strange numbering).

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:57 pm 

Why does Hellblazer not have a custom forum rank? He looks so nekkid as just "Veteran".

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:00 pm 

Personal choice and/or doesn't care.

There's some other mods that don't have 'em. Most of them don't tend to use the forum much, though. There's nothing stopping them - or any of the regulars - from asking for a title.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:16 pm 

Derigin wrote:
There's nothing stopping them - or any of the regulars - from asking for a title.

Except their dignity. I'd rather get a title because I did a funny thing on this board! "I bless the... uhhh..."

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:34 pm 

Funny you mention that. It's actually how I got the title Magic Mike Jr. at first. Though it wasn't cause of something I did on the forums, it was Derigin trying to be funny.

Azmodes wrote:

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:43 pm 

Ah, that was a great time! I gave that to you as you were sitting next to me at my desk. :D

Having you visit was definitely one of the highlights of 2016 for me.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:43 pm 

Derigin wrote:
There's nothing stopping them - or any of the regulars - from asking for a title.

Really? I thought those were only given out for something funny or noteworthy on the forums. The fact that I can just ask for something as my title makes it seem far less special.

BastardHead wrote:

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:48 pm 

I always thought that you had to have a certain number of posts to ask for a custom title.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:51 pm 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
Really? I thought those were only given out for something funny or noteworthy on the forums. The fact that I can just ask for something as my title makes it seem far less special.

You can, and some people do. But, admittedly, a lot of people do prefer having other people come up with something more meaningful. That's true for mods, too.

As for number of posts. That was more Nightgaunt's personal policy; he would consider around 1000 posts to be an appropriate number to have before asking for a title. I'm more lenient if I know you're a regular here. I don't believe in hard cutoffs. That only encourages people to spam low quality garbage posts. And, besides, I'd much rather regulars don't spam just for the sake of getting a title. It's really not worth it.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:08 pm 

Ah. Anyway, is there a specific reason why knights aren't able to change a bands country of origin to "unknown" or change it from "unknown" to something else? We are trusted with things that I think should be restricted to mods more than that, like deleting labels and making releases parent/child entries, so it is something I've been wondering for a while.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:11 am 

HB not having a custom title is his custom title.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:50 am 

im sad nightgaunt never gave me a custom title and now hes gone and MA is getting wussier and wussier!

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:00 am 

Derigin wrote:
Ah, that was a great time! I gave that to you as you were sitting next to me at my desk. :D

Having you visit was definitely one of the highlights of 2016 for me.

<3 :) it was awesome. This summer will definitely top it though. See you in Europe soon.

Funnily enough both my custom titles have come from things outside of MA online but with MA people in real life.

Azmodes wrote:

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:01 am 

What ever happened to listing "NSBM" in the genre field? That was always a handy way to filter (or find, for some people) Nazi garbage on the site. I seem to recall that Christian-themed music has the same treatment until a few years ago.

BastardHead wrote:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:03 am 

Since we don't want genres purely based on lyrical themes we got rid of it a while ago. Or rather moved it to the lyrical themes field, if it wasn't mentioned already. Same for 'Black' Metal.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:13 am 

In other words, you can still filter the Nazi crap. It's just done by lyrical themes now (as it should be).

Storm of the Light's Bane wrote:
Ah. Anyway, is there a specific reason why knights aren't able to change a bands country of origin to "unknown" or change it from "unknown" to something else? We are trusted with things that I think should be restricted to mods more than that, like deleting labels and making releases parent/child entries, so it is something I've been wondering for a while.

We only ever want to use "unknown" for exceptional, rare cases where it's warranted. Since it's only expected to be used for exceptions - as one of our requirements, generally, is for a band's country of origin to be known before adding the band - we decided to leave it for moderators to decide where its use is appropriate.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:36 am 

Two little questions...

- How come Ero's name has the "Of" with an upper case "O" on the main site and a lower case "o" on the forum. How's that even possible?
- Concerning selected exceptions, are those bands that both webmasters agree(d) on? Has either HB or Morrigan ever brought up a band, to which the other reacted like

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:07 am 

#1: He probably registered with the "Of" and got the username on the forum changed at a later point in time, but not on the site.

#2: This seems like multiple questions in one:

First, it seems like you want to know about the selection process. Nowadays we have a process where a band is put forward by a moderator in our staff forum, it's discussed and a decision is made as a team. That almost always involves the input and support of at least one of the powers-that-be and other administrators. In the past that process was less structured and more ad-hoc: it usually came down to whoever was working the queue (as regular users were permitted to submit such bands, and some mods would accept non-metal exceptions if they agreed with them there and then) or it came down to what any staff member felt belonged (and so they would submit it themselves). Over the years we've gone back and reviewed those decisions - and we're still reviewing them - so you can be certain that the existing exceptions are justified by the team as belonging. We do keep track of exceptions, and there's really not that many of them. At present there's 177 exceptions, of which 137 are non-metal side-projects (notable side-projects of notable artists, for instance), 22 are selected exceptions (scene affiliation, for instance), 17 are "proto-metal" (historical significance, for instance), and 1 is an offshoot of a disputed band (this is English Dogs). Many of these bands were added when the site first started (around 2002/2003). I think the last band we added was a year ago.

Second, it seems like you want to know if the rest of the team has ever disagreed with the powers-that-be... or even if the powers-that-be have ever disagreed with one another. Yes... but that's also part of the discussion process. Like you would expect with any discussion, some mods will have disagreements with others, and others will have reservations and concerns (including the powers-that-be themselves). At the end of the day we aim to reach a consensus with which we can all agree on, or - bare minimum - that we can all respect. This keeps the morale of the staff high, the decisions we make solid, and - at least in my opinion - adds to our credibility since multiple other people can back up and justify the decisions we've made (ie. in other words, we're not just one person stating something is acceptable... we're a bunch of people from around the world saying so). As the owners, Morrigan and HellBlazer do hold the final say on any issue, and that is always respected. To their credit, though, they rarely ever dictate or "cast a veto." Admittedly, it is one thing I've greatly admired about their leadership here: they respect and trust us to make decisions that support their interests on the site. They're good people (and they make good friends, too!). So... going back to your original question with regards to selected exceptions, there hasn't been a case where they've put forward a band and left me feeling flabbergasted as to why they would do so. There have been discussions about keeping certain exceptions, and they've provided rationale for doing so, and afterwards I'll look at their rationale and realize "yep, that's good rationale and it makes sense to me." I find that my thoughts and opinions on things generally match those of the powers-that-be. Maybe that's why I'm a mod. :P

That doesn't really answer your question, but I gotta admit there's very rarely ever existential discord between mods on issues. Generally, we tend to get along and share similar opinions. It's the same between Morrigan and HellBlazer themselves, as well. Although I'm certain they have stories about disagreeing with each other on shit. Though it's perhaps best that we don't air our disagreements. ;)

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:43 am 

Derigin wrote:
That doesn't really answer your question

It does, by and large, Derigin. Same for answer #1.

Derigin wrote:
Although I'm certain they have stories about disagreeing with each other on shit. Though it's perhaps best that we don't air our disagreements. ;)

Agreed; however, should they choose to share, I'd still be interested. :p

Derigin wrote:
I find that my thoughts and opinions on things generally match those of the powers-that-be. Maybe that's why I'm a mod. :P

Partly maybe, but I can give you ten more reasons why you are. A good one at that, too.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:11 pm 

Derigin wrote:
As the owners, Morrigan and HellBlazer do hold the final say on any issue, and that is always respected. To their credit, though, they rarely ever dictate or "cast a veto." Admittedly, it is one thing I've greatly admired about their leadership here: they respect and trust us to make decisions that support their interests on the site.

I won't give the exact band but I will give an example on this because it really stuck with me. A few years back, Morri brought up a band in the mod forum and essentially asked "Why did we blacklist this band? This particular album sounds totally acceptable to me." It became a huge discussion and the final tally came down to Morrigan and two other mods saying it was good, and pretty much the entire rest of the team saying it was borderline but not quite. Morri, who co-owns the site and absolutely has the power to veto decisions, deferred to the consensus and trusted the team's judgment on it, so the band remains unlisted. There's a perception around non-MA corners of the internet that she's a belligerent tyrant because she takes no shit and isn't afraid to make fun of and/or ban total fucking morons, but the processes behind the scenes are really so democratic that even the owners are okay with being overruled at times.

We're pretty much the perfect government. Vote for Encyclopaedia Metallum 2020!
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:29 pm 

Fuck yeah, Morrigan for president :beer:

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:51 pm 

Alright, now I want to see how the entire Encyclopaedia Metallum cabinet would look.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:04 pm 

Great example to complement Derigin's post, BH. Cheers. I think many here know the band you're talking about, but I had no idea how the discussion went. To go back to my main point, I thought selected exceptions, as opposed to bands of questionable metalness, are added without the willingness to provide the kind of rationale Derigin talked about. My question was whether either owner had ever wanted to add/had ever come close to adding a certain band on a whim, and the other one simply thought "no way". Of what I read in Derigin's post, I understand there's no such thing as an unjustified exception, the rationale being affiliation, influence, etc.

@Xlxlx: If she were American, she'd probably go for it.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:14 pm 

Tanuki wrote:
Alright, now I want to see how the entire Encyclopaedia Metallum cabinet would look.

Co-Presidents Morrigan and HellBlazer.
Vice-President Napero, cause' you need to secure that Finnish vote at MA. ;)
State... Azmodes, since he's so diplomatic, calm, and personable.
Defense... Diamhea, since he would be able to rally the troops, and he's a bit of a hard-ass.
Homeland Security... TSIR, since he's a cop. :lol:
Education... Metantoine, so he can educate the masses about prog metal.
Interior... Erosion, because he likes nature and is intent on petting a moose.
FBI/CIA Director... Zodijackyl, because he has mad research skills (which border on the creepy!).
Press Secretary... Emptiness Cycle, since he's good at PR and probably wont make a fool of himself.

I'd probably be Attorney General for obvious reasons. :P

BastardHead would be Secretary of Hilarious Hijinks (ssshhh, don't tell him it's not real!)

And more!

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:24 pm 

Makes me what wonder about the white male to female ratio on staff.

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:33 pm 

Derigin wrote:
Education... Metantoine, so he can educate the masses about prog metal.

Wouldn't batman be better for education since he is a teacher?

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:36 pm 

Well, doing some quick analysis: We currently have 41 staff. 2 identify as female. 10 are in their twenties. 20 are in their thirties. 6 are in their fourties. And 5 have an unconfirmed age. As for ethnicity it varies. Most are likely white with European background.

EDIT: Tony is also a teacher... but maybe you're right. :P

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:39 pm 

Metantoine is definitely more of a teacher than I am, since he's actually qualified and whatnot. I have spent the past two weeks trying to convince Korean kids that, in the event of a zombie apocalypse, instead of just sitting and waiting to be saved or immediately killing themselves (the default answers), they should be looking for elevated, fortifiable positions, finding means to stockpile food and water and possibly starting rooftop farms, and right out of the gate looking for sturdy, long-reach weapons with which to effectively destroy a zombie's central nervous system. NO CHILDREN, fire is a bad idea. NO CHILDREN, do not try to stab a zombie in the eye with a pencil, because it has no danger avoidance reflex and instead will just see a delicious human fist coming closer to its mouth.

Is there a cabinet position that doesn't really do anything? That's my job.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:41 pm 

Health and Human Services?

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:47 pm 

Derigin wrote:
EDIT: Tony is also a teacher... but maybe you're right. :P

Ah, I didn't know that.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:53 pm 

diamhea should be minister of female issues

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 3:40 pm 

Only if you are Minister of Boiling Water

Infact...

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 29  Next