Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:02 pm 

Ardbeg 10 is an excellent choice, and pretty widely available, so you shouldn't have much trouble finding it again. Cheers!

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:24 pm 

Hello all. I'm glad to see a whiskey topic as I have been through my obsessions with the stuff over the years. I'm more into bourbon but I always keep Lagavulin 16 and Talisker 10 on hand. I've got about 50 bottles at the moment, maybe 10 are scotch. I'm a Wild Turkey fanatic but any barrel proof bourbons are welcome with me. A little 130 proof Booker's neat is a life changer

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:21 pm 

Daysbetween wrote:
I bought a bottle of Caol Islay 12 yesterday and opened it immediately. One of the lesser peaty whiskies from the island so a good place to start if you are new to them. Has a campfire smokieness to it as well as a damp grass earthiness, peat and pepper. I have visited the distillery and it is in a beautiful location with a view over the Sound of Islay to the 'Paps of Jura' and is well worth the effort to get to. If you like smokey Highland whisky with a touch of peat then this is worth a try.

Easily one of my favorites. If you have any pictures from your time at the distillery and its views, throw em up.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:21 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Ardbeg 10 is an excellent choice, and pretty widely available, so you shouldn't have much trouble finding it again. Cheers!

It's! I bought two bottles and I just got my coat and tasting glass two days ago:
http://viviendoapesardelacrisis.blogspot.com/2015/12/whisky.html

Spoiler: show

Sweet!

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:24 am 

No one can doubt your love of scotch whisky now!

I grabbed a fresh bottle of Caol Ila 12 for my winter season smoky scotch fix. Would love to do a side-by-side tasting with Ardbeg 10 and perhaps a few others. It's never been the most complex whisky but it's one of the most approachable peat-heavy offerings out there, I'd say.

Since the autumn I've had this wonderful addition to my shelf:

It's the sixth progressive Kilkerran release from the young Glengyle distillery in Campbeltown. As such it's got a quite interesting, difficult-to-define character that you find in the Springbank line (Glengyle is owned by the Springbank people, iirc). Describing it as a sherry-influenced Springbank wouldn't be far off the mark and it's absolutely lovely stuff. Lots of rich sweetness balanced with a mossy, slightly peaty undertone and some gorgeous spices, the experience really evolves on the palate. Really delicious whisky but unfortunately not easy to find.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:12 am 

Church13 wrote:
Hello all. I'm glad to see a whiskey topic as I have been through my obsessions with the stuff over the years. I'm more into bourbon but I always keep Lagavulin 16 and Talisker 10 on hand. I've got about 50 bottles at the moment, maybe 10 are scotch. I'm a Wild Turkey fanatic but any barrel proof bourbons are welcome with me. A little 130 proof Booker's neat is a life changer

I cannot fathom spending this much money on whiskey or whisky...two bottles here, and they'll probably last me another 3-4 months. Cheers on the Lagavulin and Talisker though, those are ace.

Have you ever had W.L. Weller 12?

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:31 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
Church13 wrote:

I cannot fathom spending this much money on whiskey or whisky...two bottles here, and they'll probably last me another 3-4 months. Cheers on the Lagavulin and Talisker though, those are ace.

Have you ever had W.L. Weller 12?

Well when you consider like I said around 40 are bourbons which are way cheaper in the states, and many are Wild Turkey 101, Buffalo Trace, Old Grand Dad, George Dickel 12 and many others that are all in the $10-$30 range, as well as a few doubles. I even have a few bottles that have been in my cabinet for 2-3 years, so it's not as much money as you'd think, although probably more than I should've spent.

And yes, although Weller 12 is nowhere to be seen recently. I have some Old Weller Antique on hand that is fantastic

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:45 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
No one can doubt your love of scotch whisky now!

Sure! And the coat is REALLY nice!

I'll return to my Ardbeg bottle this weekend. Enjoy, guys!

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:11 pm 

Ardbeg 10 is a wonderful Scotch indeed. I think Ardbeg may even be my all time favorite, because it is such a fine spirit unmolested by caramel coloring, which is present in Laphroaig.

Though the taste isn't too different from Laphroaig, so it's not like I am never drinking Laphroaig ever again. Hell, I have at least five square feet of Islay to my name now.

Caol Ila remains an elusive find - I still have yet to acquire a bottle. I might just go ahead and order it online (but I hate doing so, so much can go wrong with those things, it's better to go to a store, buy the bottle, make sure it is fucking safe, get home, open it up and have a dram than to wonder if they packed the box correctly and that it wasn't handled by half-dead zombies at the post office).

Booker's is a good bourbon - can be brutal for those not used to such strong liquors though. I always seem to get a bit of a headache while drinking it.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:17 pm 

Figured I'd bring this back from the dead as I just bought a bottle of scotch (Ardbeg Uigeadail) for the first time in like three years.

Islay scotch has always been my favorite, but I'm looking to expand a bit into Irish whiskey - this was inspired by my wife and I touring the jameson distillery in cork on our honeymoon and having a tasting there. Really liked the Redbreast 12 + 15 as well as Middleton Very Rare, though the last of those is too pricey to actually buy stateside for me. Any other recommendations?

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:30 pm 

I can't offer any advice on Irish whiskey, but that Uigeadail is a mighty fine purchase. The bottle I opened in the summer actually tastes a little better now than it did then (still about 85% full). What did you pay for it?

Nordic_Warhammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:01 pm 

Whiskey is easily my favorite spirit, and bourbon isn't a favorite of mine exactly but this is certainly one of my all time favorite whiskies. Soooo good.

Vorfahren: Neofolk from the Pacific Northwest https://vorfahren.bandcamp.com/releases

Lord_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:10 am 

I used to be solely a bourbon fan and was initially put off from scotch as my experiences up to that point had been the terrible blended stuff like Teachers and Bells etc.

This all changed when my wife's uncle poured me a glass of Glenfiddich 12 year and I realised the beauty of a single malt.

Since then I've become a huge lover of malt scotch and have amassed quite a collection. Current favourites would be:

Laphroaig 10 (my number one right now)
Macallan Gold
Talisker 10
Arbelour 10
Old Poulteney 12

I definitely favour the more smoky, peaty whiskies and fully intend to delve more into the Islay malts.

I'm also still a fan of Glenfiddich also but there are much better malts out there for the same (and sometimes even cheaper) price.

Interesting story (possibly) - Me and my wife actually got married in Cuba and the all inclusive resort we were in had Glenlivet, as well as some blended such as Chivas and JW Red and Black. Needless to say I was very happy!

I'm still a big fan of bourbon. It satisfies the pallet when I fancy something a bit more sweet. My favourite bourbons:

Woodfood Reserve (my number 1)
Maker's Mark
Elijah Craig 12
Knob Creek
Wild Turkey

I have managed to track down a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 over here in my local off license. I haven't opened it yet but I am looking forward to doing so. I've got half a bottle of Laphroaig 10 and an almost full bottle of Knob Creek to finish first.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:06 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Figured I'd bring this back from the dead

Thank you.

I was going to recommend Redbreast, since that's the best Irish whiskey I've tried. But you already know it's good. I'm not much into Irish whisky. Readbreast is an exception because it tastes the closest to scotch. You can see where my allegiences lie. Honestly, if I'm going to be drinking whisky that comparatively mild, I'd much rather drink Japanese products.

I also really like Islay, and while I have some territory yet to explore, Caol Ila is the reigning champion so far. I was gifted a bottle of Sprinkbank 10 for yuletide. That is some good stuff. It mellows really nicely once it's open, smoothing out to an almost honeyed smokiness. Oh man I love that stuff. Ardbeg is good, but I don't see why it gets knobbed so hard when Caol Ila is so much better. That said, I don't see the latter on menues hardly ever, so maybe it's a matter of exposure.

I'm definitely going to be folding in some distilleries when I get back over to the UK, not least because I want to see more of the islands.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:11 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
I can't offer any advice on Irish whiskey, but that Uigeadail is a mighty fine purchase. The bottle I opened in the summer actually tastes a little better now than it did then (still about 85% full). What did you pay for it?

$59.99 before tax. On a related note, I almost shit myself in Ireland seeing the likes of Ardbeg, Laphroaig and Talisker on bar menus for about the price of a wells whiskey in Chicago. :eek:

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
I was going to recommend Redbreast, since that's the best Irish whiskey I've tried. But you already know it's good. I'm not much into Irish whisky. Readbreast is an exception because it tastes the closest to scotch. You can see where my allegiences lie.

Yeah, I think that's why I liked it too. Definitely interested in trying Caol Ila as well, looking to try a bit outside the holy Laphroaig-Lagavulin-Ardbeg trilogy.

I actually had some Lagavulin 16 a few month ago and it really lives up to the hype, even better than Ardbeg imo.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:52 pm 

I've gotten a lot more into this sort of stuff since I turned 21 and don't have to rely on other people's tastes. For Scotch, Chivas Regal is my go-to for its smoothness though, admittedly, I've only tried a few others. For Bourbons, I'm another Wild Turkey and Weller's fan though the latter is pretty tricky to find. For Whiskies, I'm mostly into Crown as a mixer though I had a bottle of Jameson over the break that wasn't bad, enough so that it was my first time waking up sick.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:07 pm 

So I'm interested in putting together a small bourbon/whiskey cocktail bar. Anyone have any suggestions for like six standard bourbon cocktail ingredients that would give me a good range of starter recipes? I already have angustora bitters.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:36 pm 

Distilled water and a dropper are all the ingredients you need to properly enjoy a bourbon cocktail. ;)

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:43 pm 

Having my first Ardbeg 10 now; as mentioned above I have previously had the Uuuieaagadaaaiaael, which was unpronounceable and great and greatly unpronounceable. This is noticeably brighter in color and with more of a tar/coal sort of smoky flavor, rather than the oil and wooden embers of the Greatly Unpronounceable™. Not as sweet or savory either, though that aspect took some months in the bottle before I noticed it. Maybe something similar will happen here, maybe not. Not bad at all but so far I think I would prefer a Laphroaig 10 for less if I can't find the oogie-oogie on sale.

Definitely one of the smelliest whiskies I've had that's for sure.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:11 pm 

Anyone but me get a splitting headache every time they drink Elijah Craig? Fuckin hell.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:17 pm 

I don't think I've had Elijah Craig since they took the age statement off. When it was a verified 12-year at least I don't think it gave me headaches.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:44 pm 

This stuff is dreadful. It tastes fine, but it fills me with dread.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:20 pm 

I recently (by recently I mean last month) got a bottle of Ardbeg Dark Cove. It is maybe a little milder on the smoke than Ardbeg 10 but it is still quite smoky. I personally enjoy it. It is Scotch aged in dark sherry casks. The result is a naturally darker Scotch. Ordinary Ardbeg is pale, while Laphroaig adds caramel coloring to make their scotch look darker. I don't think the caramel coloring affects flavor since I like Laphroaig and Ardbeg roughly equally.

The only whisky that I've had that gave me a splitting headache is Booker's, which is a kick in the face at 60% alcohol. My brother got me a bottle for my birthday. I still have some, years later. Last time I had some of that was November 8th, and that was to intentionally get drunk. The only time I've ever gotten hammered. Funnily enough, I didn't have a hangover, even though I had a dram of Booker's, as well as filling the snifter to the top with Ardbeg. Probably the equivalent of six beers, and I drank it pretty quick.

I should get back into having a dram of scotch every so often. Many of my bottles are covered in a layer of dust.

I've been tempted to get more bottles too, since I have seen many new brands of whisky from other parts of the world. I saw a single malt French whisky, and a couple Japanese whiskies that I haven't tried (I only had The Yamazaki 12). I've also seen more Pennsylvania whiskies lately.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

~Guest 375103
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:21 pm 

Yamazaki 12 is a great single malt whisky. Pricey, but very good. My favorite whiskies are from the United States and Japan.

Yahko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:23 pm 

My initial post was in Jan 2013 :P - 4.5 years later I came to about top 3 Whiskeys

1. Laphroaig Quarter Cask
2. Auchentoshan 12 Single Malt
3. Glen Garioch Founder's Reserve

I have about 12 unopened bottles of various brands and blends of Scotch mainly (some had been waiting for 3 years now :P)

Maybe i'll give another update in 2020 :P

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:49 pm 

The best thing I've had in the last 6 months since my last post was a blended Scotch, Black Bull 12-yr. It's half-malt, 100 proof and tastes very good, kind of sweet in a dark, fruity way without too much punch or burn. It's $50, but if you're looking for a nice blend, you're not likely to do much better.

Lionel Fauquier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:33 am 

Anyone ever tried Welsh whisky ? I'm due for a party over the holidays where a lot of it will be about , so I'm just curious to know if anyone has ever tasted it .

As for the topic of whisky in general , I'm more of a rum guy , but I do enjoy bourbon from time to time . My favorite brand being Heaven Hill .

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:22 pm 

Just got myself a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail and wow!! That's truly the best Scotch I've had so far. The nose is incredible, lots of wood and smoke, supported by notes of leather and barley sugar and a little hint of honey. As for the palate, we got an oily almost chewy mouthfeel with notes of dark ripe fruits, some candied lemons/oranges and honey with a finale firmly in the wood, tobacco and peat smoke territory. Perfect stuff for the rigorous and harsh winter weather these days.
Fire walk with me"

Daysbetween
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:40 am 

My Christmas haul:

Macallan Gold
Lagavulin 16 year old
Jura Origin 10 year old

Saving the Lagavulin for New Years eve. The Macallan is my fave standard malt which my wife gets me every year for xmas & birthday and the Jura is ok but not as good as an Islay malt.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:53 pm 

Matyu wrote:
Yamazaki 12 is a great single malt whisky. Pricey, but very good. My favorite whiskies are from the United States and Japan.

Really?!? That seems strange to me. :scratch:

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:47 pm 

At a family gift exchange, I got a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label Scotch Whiskey. It also came with two very nice looking glasses. I typically just go for beer, but this is a special treat and it's quite good! Do folks generally prefer Scotch over ice or by itself (room temperature)?

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:14 pm 

Neat is my preference though I'm not sure if there is a standard. JW is not very stout to begin with, so if you do use ice or water, I recommend very little.

Were the glasses glencairns by any chance? I have a pair of those myself and use them regularly.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:32 pm 

Right on. I typically prefer mine "neat" (I'm learning new verbiage every day haha) as well.

The glasses look like these:

(I just looked up "Johnnie Walker glencairns" and those are super cool looking. I'll trade ya! ;) )

orionparker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:56 pm 

Hi guys. This is my first time posting on this thread. I've been expanding my whisky repertoire for the last few years and getting into trying some new stuff. I tend to go for the single malts...never found too many of the blends which suit me I guess but I'm always for trying some new stuff. Anyways, my currents favorites:

1. Lagavulin 16 year old
2. Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14 year old
3. Glenlivet 18 year old

My wife still owes me a new bottle for a Christmas gift. Any suggestions on what to get?

Daysbetween
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:02 am 

orionparker wrote:
Hi guys. This is my first time posting on this thread. I've been expanding my whisky repertoire for the last few years and getting into trying some new stuff. I tend to go for the single malts...never found too many of the blends which suit me I guess but I'm always for trying some new stuff. Anyways, my currents favorites:

1. Lagavulin 16 year old
3. Glenlivet 18 year old

My wife still owes me a new bottle for a Christmas gift. Any suggestions on what to get?

Don't know if you've tried Highland Park which is from the Orkney Islands? I would suggest the 18 year old (pricey buy) or the 15 year old if you can find it.

battle_axes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:20 am 

My family and I tasted all the scotch we had on hand tonight. The competitors, in order of best to worst:

Mortlach 15 year
Balvenie 12 year
Cardhu 12 year
Talisker Storm
Johnny Walker Blue

Johnny Walker Blue, by far the most expensive, is the worst (or least good?). I know JW is stigmatized in general, but I still think it's pretty tasty. That said, the price to quality discrepancy was pretty shocking.

The Mortlach is the best of the lot. This sounds silly, but it smells like pancakes and syrup. I'd love to give tasting notes, but our taste test was impromptu and poorly designed, so my palate was a bit tainted through the whole exercise.

Balvenie and Talisker Storm are both nice, but a bit too sweet. I don't think I could drink more than an ounce or two of either. That said, the latter is fairly smokey and not too pricey, so it works well as a floater in some cocktails.

The Cardhu is the most delicate and smooth of the lot, but that's at the expense of flavor, hence our middle of the road rating.

p.s. Please excuse any misspelled names. My internet connection is shoddy at the moment, so it's too big of a pain to makes sure I got the names right.

orionparker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:08 pm 

Daysbetween wrote:
orionparker wrote:

1. Lagavulin 16 year old
3. Glenlivet 18 year old

Don't know if you've tried Highland Park which is from the Orkney Islands? I would suggest the 18 year old (pricey buy) or the 15 year old if you can find it.

I haven't tried Highland Park or any Orkney whiskies for that matter. I do think I remember seeing it somewhere though. Thanks for the recommendation.

~Guest 375103
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:29 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Matyu wrote:

"strange" Why? To be honest I'm a big fan of Jack Daniel's Black Label and Jack Daniel's Single Barrel when I can afford it.
I also like Japanese whiskies but they are expensive. So, yeah, I like American and Japanese whiskeys. :)

orionparker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:00 am 

Matyu wrote:
BasqueStorm wrote:

"strange" Why? To be honest I'm a big fan of Jack Daniel's Black Label and Jack Daniel's Single Barrel when I can afford it.
I also like Japanese whiskies but they are expensive. So, yeah, I like American and Japanese whiskeys. :)

I think it's strange too. I've never met anyone who likes the sour mash whiskey of JD and the single malt whisky of Scotland. It's kind of like night and day but really I guess it's whatever you like. I personally hate Jack Daniel's with a passion. I wouldn't drink if that was my only choice.

For the Japanese stuff, I have heard really good things. I only know 2 people that have personally tried but both had really good things to say. Most things I've read have been positive too.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:59 pm 

Matyu wrote:
So, yeah, I like American and Japanese whiskeys. :)

If you enjoy American whiskey, I highly recommend exploring the wide variety of it that exists outside of Jack Daniels which doesn't automatically mean bourbon, either. JD is Tennesee whiskey. That's one whiskey from one state. I respectfully present a quizzical wtf and practice a bit of deep breathing/avoidant coping when Jack Daniel's represents American whiskeys. It's a big country out (t)here. McCarthy's (OR) and Hudson (NY) are easy places to start.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next