Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:46 am 

Managed to get some Leffe, Chimay and hoegaarden on a recent trip to the tax free haven of Labuan recently. This may not seem like a big deal to most of you, but believe me, where I am it is.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:51 pm 

Nice! Those are all good beers. Sure, they may be fairly "standard" in terms of broad availability, but that doesn't detract from their delicious taste!

Most recently I had some very good Scotch Ale from a local brewery, Steel Bonnet. I was sporting one of my Wovenhand shirts which the bartender noticed. Apparently he's a fan too!

Daysbetween
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:19 am 

My daughter bought me 6 bottles for my birthday as it is made by Robinsons Brewery (Manchester, UK) who also make the Maiden Trooper Ale. Fruity & slightly hoppy but I didn't like it and won't get it again.

Airon13
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:46 am 

What do you think about rock/metal bands releasing their own beers? I have barely seen them where i live and i'm curious to try them

RakdosWarlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:54 am 

Airon13 wrote:
What do you think about rock/metal bands releasing their own beers? I have barely seen them where i live and i'm curious to try them

If it tastes good then sure. I know that is kind of a lame answer but I won't drink something I don't enjoy just because a good band is on the label.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:35 pm 

Airon13 wrote:

I've only had the Trooper ale and it's decent for what it is, but certainly nothing special or to write home about.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:30 pm 

Airon13 wrote:

Sceptical, but if the beer is good then there is no problem!
But I hardly ever try beers like that.

There are some Maiden and Motörhead beers avilable here. Maybe I should try them.

Now I am having a Mikeller - Beer Geek Brunch Weasel Stout.
Lovely!

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:25 pm 

The other day I saw a bottle of Slayer red wine. It was capitalising on the reign in blood name in some way.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:53 pm 

They have that Mikeller at the store but it's like $14 for a 12 ounce bottle so I haven't tried it yet. Maybe one day when I'm feeling extra spendy.

If it's some big commercial band slapping their branding on some shitty beer, fuck that. If the band has members who know/care about good beer and actually work together with a cool brewery to brew something that attempts to capture the essence of the band, then that's awesome.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:27 am 

Went beer shopping this afternoon at a local bottle shop about one kilometer from home with a pretty damn awesome selection.

Here's what I got.

Rochefort 10 (because Rochefort dammit)
Oscar Blues Old Chub scotch ale
Barossa Valley Brewing chocolate coffee stout
Wolf of the Willows Raisin' Kilts rum & raisin scotch ale (sounds tasty)
Five Barrel Brewing Wee Heavy (sounds really good)
Big Shed Brewing Co Golden Stout Time (sounds gimmicky, but I'll give it a go)

Got all these with a 10% discount for a mixed six pack and was given a free Sierra Nevada glass. Plus they have a loyalty system, where you buy six, mixed six packs and then the seventh is free! Woo!

My collection

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:42 am 

I wish discounts on beer/alcohol would be legal here...
Sounds like a nice score you got there!

I finally got my Supersonic beer from the norwegian brewery ''Lervig'' today.
I had to special order them from the brewery, through the state owned ''Vinmonopolet'' and had to order 24 cans.
Luckily I made a deal with two unknown guys in the area and we splitt the order.

So I now have 8 cans of the Supersonic, and 4 of the Tasty Juice.

It's not easy to get hold on Norwegian beer here in Norway :P

Happy weekend!

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:37 am 

After my wife dropped the last one I bought, I finally managed to get my hands on another Sierra Nevada 2015 barrel aged Narwhal imperial. Fuck it's good. This is why I drink craft- I couldn't give the slightest shit about a pilsner or a kolsch that's basically more expensive lager. Give me something that blows my head off! And that's what this beer does. Just huge with this unholy trinity of big flavours- imperial stout v bourbon v alcohol- fighting each other. Absolutely massive, no subtlety at all.. So good

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:10 am 

caspian wrote:
After my wife dropped the last one I bought, I finally managed to get my hands on another Sierra Nevada 2015 barrel aged Narwhal imperial. Fuck it's good. This is why I drink craft- I couldn't give the slightest shit about a pilsner or a kolsch that's basically more expensive lager. Give me something that blows my head off! And that's what this beer does. Just huge with this unholy trinity of big flavours- imperial stout v bourbon v alcohol- fighting each other. Absolutely massive, no subtlety at all.. So good

I cracked mine back in February and thought exactly the same, good shit. :beer:

Now the real test will be seeing if I can handle that Bruery Black Tuesday at 20%...

Edit: oops, wrote 30 instead of 20...

Last edited by Smoking_Gnu on Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:39 pm 

I'm assuming that's a typo, I've never heard of a Black Tuesday much above 20%. In any case, I would prepare to share it with non-diabetics.

I've had several opportunities to buy BA Narwhal and never took the plunge. I did have a Narwhal variant aged in barrels with fruit added, which wasn't bad, but I preferred the original.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:51 pm 

hah yeah, that was supposed to be 20%. EoH actually cracked his bottle a few weeks ago and said while it was definitely boozy and sweet, it was surprisingly drinkable given the strength.

Baron_Bukkake
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:04 pm 

Just had two Dark Horse I Plead the 5th Stouts. At 11%, this shit isn't a game. God bless Michigan, hahaha!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:42 am 

INTERNATIONAL BEER REPORT: THAILAND

Thailand has shitty beer, the end!

I'm sure there are probably some ok tiny crafts somewhere in Bangkok, but if they exist, they don't make their beer available at stores. I did read about one joint that has rotating homebrews on tap that sounded interesting, but it was really out of the way and Bangkok public transport ranges from interesting (riding overcrowded long boats down canals teeming with 9-foot water monitors) to miserable (subway lines never actually connect, are super limited in where they go to, AWFUL traffic in sweltering heat) so I never made it out there.

The macros are...generic macros. The one kind of interesting thing I noticed is that there seemed to be a pretty wide ranging variance from one bottle to the next in terms of both flavor and quality, so that was something. Good beach beers, though!

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:19 am 

Bummer. I'm gonna be in Thailand in a couple of days, but what you've reported is exactly what I expected anyway. Until then, there's still a chance while I'm in KL to get something nice on tap, so silver linings.

Update: ending up just going for one, heretic evil twin red IPA. Was pretty solid.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:49 am 

Winter beer shopping Friday again today!

Here's what I ended up with;

Rochefort 8 (again, because Rochefort dammit)
Moa Imperial stout (oak aged big beauty, see how it goes)
Mornington Imperial stout (both a 2016 & 2017 batch for comparison)
5 Barrels Brewing Wee Heavy (REALLY love this)
HopDog Beer Works Super Beast (2016 barley wine style. Sounds bloody good)

All again with a 10% discount for the six of 'em. Bring it on. Super impressed with this local shop stocking some interesting Australian brews I've never had before, as well as a decent selection of American and New Zealand beers. The Wee Heavy is a damn fine scotch ale, and I had to get another, as once it warmed up a little the flavour was just glorious. Perfect for these chilly nights.

My collection

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:01 am 

Huzzah! I actually just picked up that exact same Moa, as well as one of their tripels. Gonna drink the stout tonight, I think.

BUT...more importantly...the fucking grocery stores has these:

That's $40-50 a pop, but if my research concludes that these are legitimate Westy bottles, I'll probably get all three. My beer holy grail, the 12. So stoked.

RakdosWarlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:51 pm 

I am having some of this now, it's really good. I prefer copper or red ale the most but this was given to me as a gift and you never say no to free beer.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:56 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Huzzah! I actually just picked up that exact same Moa, as well as one of their tripels. Gonna drink the stout tonight, I think.

BUT...more importantly...the fucking grocery stores has these:
*pic*

That's $40-50 a pop, but if my research concludes that these are legitimate Westy bottles, I'll probably get all three. My beer holy grail, the 12. So stoked.

They look legit and while they're good beers, I don't think they're really worth ten regular craft or monastery beers. Of course, just getting to drink one warrants some premium, but still 50 bucks is a whole damn lot.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:07 am 

Those prices are roughly five good craft or monastery beers, not ten.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:01 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Those prices are roughly five good craft or monastery beers, not ten.

Chimay goes for ten bucks there? And well, I wasn't speaking only of your current predicament(?), but in general the prices of Westvleteren beers outside of the monastery and its related cafés and restaurants.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:10 pm 

The Trekkie in me couldn't resist trying some Captain's Log Lager, and it's pretty good. Smooth and relatively low in maltiness without being watery. More importantly - it's from the Cameron Brewing Company in Oakville, Ontario so I can drink it on Canada Day without feelin like a traitor.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:25 am 

MacMoney wrote:
Chimay goes for ten bucks there? And well, I wasn't speaking only of your current predicament(?), but in general the prices of Westvleteren beers outside of the monastery and its related cafés and restaurants.

Yup. Chimay is pretty widely available here but $10 is the standard price. This same supermarket also got in Rochefort and Orval, at $12 and $11 respectively. But...I've had those. I've never had the Westvleteren or even seen it before. Sure, I'd love to buy it cheap in Belgium at an approved location, but Belgium is quite a long ways away.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:53 am 

Yo batman! How did you find the Moa Imperial? Had mine last night, and it was strong as an ox, but bloody delicious.

My collection

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:17 am 

I liked it for sure, but I kind of wish it were thicker in the body with slightly more big malts. It was super complex and had huge oak, vanilla and alcohol notes, so I kind of wish there was more typical roast malt, chocolate and coffee to balance it a bit more. Between this and the 8Wired iStout, I definitely like the latter more, but it was definitely very good.

Welp I did it: pulled the trigger on some Westy 8 and 12. I'm gonna split them with a friend whose "good beer" metric was like, Blue Moon, before coming to Korea, but I got him into the good stuff and now he's a big fan of Belgian beer in particular, so he's excited to share them with me. Probably we'll drink them in 2 weeks, so expect a report!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:08 pm 

Spoiler: show

Funky Buddha French Toast double brown ale... this is amazing. Just my kind of brown ale. If you can find this, get it now before it's gone.

Daysbetween
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:39 pm 

Got 4 of each as they were going cheap. Basic Scottish beers but all decent.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:05 pm 

I discovered much to my chagrin that Boulevard Dark Truth has been cancelled. Apparently last year? Somehow I missed the announcement. It was a pretty unique beer, sad to find this out. The local place might still have some, I'll have to see. :(

On the other hand, they replaced it with four-packs of Imperial Stout, which has the same starting recipe but stronger, partially barrel-aged, and with an American yeast strain instead of Belgian. At least they replaced it with another great beer.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:35 pm 

Oh wow, that sucks. Just a few years back they finally started selling Boulevard in Maryland and Dark Truth was one of their better ones for sure. The replacement sounds good, but nowhere near as unique.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:56 pm 

They've actually been making that replacement for years as an occasional 750ml release, and when I've had it I actually preferred it to Dark Truth, but it was more on the typical side of BA beers. What I most liked is that the BA influence was more of a complementing component rather than a domineering one as is usually the case for those sorts of beers. Past releases were like 2/3 aged in whiskey barrels I think? Wasn't overpowering at all whatever it was.

Hyungnim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:34 am 

My favorite beer

The taste is dirty and harsh with a caramel shade.

Recent - Trivium - What The Dead Men Say
Previous - Black Rain - Gekka Bijin
Next - Miyu - Meta-Loid

WillyB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:32 am 

alright recent beer drinker here, just turned 21 a few months ago so never really go into drinking it until recently, most i've ever had before is shitty 2 dollar gas station piss water but i tried the local brand Urban Chestnut's Bavarian lagers and fucking god is that good. So really just looking for any recs for a good bavarian lager that I could find in st. louis other than those. Love the slight clove and banana smell to them, love the taste, love that I can finally enjoy getting drunk outside of drinking whiskey straight from the bottle.
ironically i live like 10 minutes away from the anheuser busch factory and can smell their god awful beer from my front door every few days

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:33 am 

WillyB wrote:
alright recent beer drinker here, just turned 21 a few months ago so never really go into drinking it until recently, most i've ever had before is shitty 2 dollar gas station piss water but i tried the local brand Urban Chestnut's Bavarian lagers and fucking god is that good. So really just looking for any recs for a good bavarian lager that I could find in st. louis other than those. Love the slight clove and banana smell to them, love the taste, love that I can finally enjoy getting drunk outside of drinking whiskey straight from the bottle.
ironically i live like 10 minutes away from the anheuser busch factory and can smell their god awful beer from my front door every few days

The one in St. Louis? I went on a tour there five years ago. :lol:

WillyB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:38 am 

every tuesday(i think, idk i'm shitfaced currently) it smells like absolute ass when I walk outside because of that place, haven't actually went on the tour but i'll end up down there eventually i'm sure

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:49 am 

Yeah, I grew up near Milwaukee and it was always funny smelling the PBR brewery when we drove by on certain days.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:10 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:

8 is good. 10 is amazing. :beer:

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:56 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
CrushedRevelation wrote:

8 is good. 10 is amazing. :beer:

But 6 is best.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 86  Next