Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:34 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Well, to post once more, and not wanting to muddy my other points, I watched one helluva wacky film last night.

Evil Ed.

This could not be more tongue in cheek in any capacity. Ed is a friendly, sorta innocent, nice fella who is given the job to recut a bunch of ultra-violent horror films for a European release. In the process, he ends up seeing tons and tons of horror content, and he gradually goes insane and starts attacking people around him. This has one of the best lines of dialog I've ever heard in a movie, taken completely out of context:

"Where the fuck is my beaver rape scene?"

Fun movie, ha ha!

Classic amongst my friends and I. The closing line is great, something like "maybe love can save the world, some day." Just out of nowhere.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:15 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:
Well, to post once more, and not wanting to muddy my other points, I watched one helluva wacky film last night.

Evil Ed.

Classic amongst my friends and I. The closing line is great, something like "maybe love can save the world, some day." Just out of nowhere.

That line really did come out of nowhere. Right after a man is shotgunned to bloody pieces. Well done, mood whiplash.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:36 pm 

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective - Sometimes I whine when a movie's title is more fun than the actual film, which happened recently with Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama and Dude Bro Party Massacre 3. Ace Ventura resides on the other end of the spectrum with Killer Klowns from Outer Space, since it's even better than the title suggests it should be. Like Dumb & Dumber, I was a big fan of this when I was younger and I think it still holds up. * snaps fingers and blows raspberry *

The Mummy (Tom Cruise version) - Ahhhh this wasn't that bad. One of the trailers gave away too much though.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:31 am 

Cult Of Chucky - At this point, a sequel to one of these old franchises that isn't a piece of shit is borderline a miracle. Cult Of Chucky is a dumb movie, but I had fun with it. It uses a lot of the same old tropes you've seen before, a mental hospital where, surprise, nobody believes the characters about Chucky being behind all these killings because the patients are in there for a reason. Honestly after this many movies, you'd think people would understand Chucky is real by now, but whatever... there are some good kills going on and a few effective, fun scenes. Brad Dourif still has a lot of energy and the lead actors seem to be having fun. In spite of its plot being stuff you've seen before, this feels somewhat fresh and fun because of the vibrant execution.

Tales Of Halloween - Not that impressed honestly. This had the right idea, the right spooky suburban Halloween ambiance, but the stories just weren't that interesting. Some of them had some good stuff going on, but most of them followed the very tired trope of 'bad guys prey on unsuspecting victim, only for victim to not be what they seemed.' They do this in some stories back to back. Others diverge from that but still lack anything truly interesting or substantial. It just felt lazy a lot of the time, which is a shame because they totally got the look and feel of a campy Halloween movie down.

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:15 pm 

Blade Runner 2049 is like Blade Runner by Stanley Kubrick.

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:27 pm 

Well, just got back from Blade Runner, and I was definitely pleased.

Spoiler: show
The woman who played the female replicant was awesome.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:46 am 

Leatherface- Almost turned it off 10 minutes in with how bad it was
particularly when the woman follows the boy wearing the animal head
and skipped half of it. Damn near felt like a Rob Zombie movie.

Brawl in Cell Block 99- awesome movie, especially the last 20 minutes

The Babysitter- didnt know much about it, but really liked it, except for the goofy ending.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:46 am 

Happy Death Day - Okay, this isn't the greatest thing out there but after IT, this one felt amazing. Basically, girl relives the same day over and over - Groundhog Day if it were a horror/mystery/comedy. The start of the movie felt weird but it picked up, only to have a really lame motive at the end:

The start of the movie actively makes you hate Tree and her actions to everything. Thankfully it didn't remain that way, although the scene with her dad seemed a little tacky.

But worse was Becky's motive. Killing Tree because of a man. Like...huh? I know college aged students have raging hormones but it seems incredibly far-fetched. It required her plan to go exactly the right way, too. Just odd.

Overall, though, I enjoyed this. Not rushing to watch it again, but worth it once.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Talented Juli
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:45 am 

Years ago I saw the trailer for It Follows and I thought to myself, "Geeze. That must be the worst movie of all time." For years, I was allowed to have this shameful opinion, because I never heard anybody talking about this movie until a few months ago, when I heard several times, on separate incidents, from different people, over the span of just a couple weeks, that the movie was actually quite good.

Anyways, I just watched it last night. It scared the shit out of me, made me feel disgust in a way I've never felt for a movie before, and left me in tears after it was over. Highly recommend it.

I've not watched many horror films, and i'm just dipping my toe into the genre now. I'd like to keep doing. Anybody got any recommendations? Currently on my list: Videodrome, Naked Lunch, Green Room, Bone Tomahawk, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Perfect Blue.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:13 am 

You seem to be into more psychological, sometimes slow-burn stuff, judging by your response to It Follows, so, off the bat, I'll just recommend Jacob's Ladder, Noroi: The Curse (I recommend avoiding reading the premise as much as possible), Ringu, Mulholland Drive, The Wicker Man (1973), and Kill List.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:04 pm 

I finally watched The Void last night. It's a healthily gross mix of NOTLD, Carpenter's The Thing, and The Beyond. Suffice it to say? I loved it. This and Baskin are nightmares come to life and that, to me, is what makes the best horror. 7/10, knocked down only for mediocre acting and characters but helped immensely by the scenario and constantly mounting tension.

EDIT:
Add all films listed here to your list, Juli. And PLEEEEASE see the original TCM before the remake.

darkeningday wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:08 pm 

^ Agreed with all points... The Void and Baskin are two I'm eager to watch this Halloween season. Love that kind of manic, balls out shit.

The Witch and I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House are also great recs. And House of the Devil, a marvelous film.

And yeah don't ever watch anything past the original TCM, far as I'm concerned. All garbage after the original masterpiece.

I rewatched Absentia this past week and that one still fills me with an existential, terrifying dread. Powerful stuff.

Last edited by Empyreal on Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:15 pm 

Looks like Baskin is taking the number one spot for my "next to watch" list.

demonomania wrote:
Maybe we could discuss the christian subtexts in the later "Saw" films?

I've only watched the first two or three Saw movies, so when I saw this comment I thought you were joking, but now I'm not sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnXRQ_j_xB4

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:20 pm 

Happy Death Day - 9,5/10 - Entertaining horror movie ride with quirky characters from start to finish with a surprising conclusion.

The Foreigner - 9,5/10 - Great sinister action-thriller with convincing performances by Pierce Brosnan and Jackie Chan.

Iron Protector - 6,5/10 - A martial arts movie made by martial arts fans for martial arts fans, no more, no less.

The Grandmaster - 6,5/10 - Profoundly artistic but not very martial is this philosophical film with great acting performances but a weak story line.

Raw - 8/10 - One of the most controversial horror movies of the past few years that convinces with realistic settings, good acting performances and a surprising ending.

Question: Is ''The Snowman'' really as bad as most people say? I thought the trailers looked amazing and was looking forward to watch it. Critics have been devastating though.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:36 pm 

kluseba wrote:

Question: Is ''The Snowman'' really as bad as most people say? I thought the trailers looked amazing and was looking forward to watch it. Critics have been devastating though.

I'm interested in seeing it too. But the reviews haven't been too kind. I like Michael Fassbender, so I may go see it regardless of negative criticism.

I'm also really interested in seeing that new Matt Damon movie, Suburbicon.

As for Happy Death Day, I'm amazed it's doing as well as it is. From the trailers I saw, I thought it kind of looked like a typical cheesy dumb horror/suspense movie. But everyone I've known who has seen it has said that it was very good.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:54 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
And yeah don't ever watch anything past the original TCM, far as I'm concerned. All garbage after the original masterpiece.
May not be surprising that I'd like TCM or why I do. I agree with the original, while a dated project, is as close to a masterpiece that horror can get to.

I do not remember what year I first seen it but I took to it immediately because of its realistic premise. Everything about the setup was grounded and that hook carried me through the film. Even at stereotypical moments, the characters felt like real people who would be more intuitive than capable of reasonable deduction. It allowed me to suspend disbelief much easier when a character did something questionably stupid.

However, since the film was grounded in reality and kept a relative high standard of that realism, the ending stopped it from being the masterpiece it could be. If the story was factual then of course I would be rooting for Sally, no question, but this is a work of fiction. Allowing your main character to die in the end or be more ambiguous would have allowed a much greater chance as a franchise.

The problem for me is I would assume the most logical(see: realistic) story to continue. I can tell you how it would go:

Sally would eventually be in a safe enough distance for the driver of the pickup to stop. Imagine if you were driving a pickup truck one afternoon, cruising along and enjoying the scenery when a girl, covered in blood and hysterical, jumps into the back of your truck and is being chased by a crazy nut with a deadly weapon. What would you do?

What would follow is you would either take Sally to the closest police department or emergency room. She needs immediate hospital care and if she comes in all blood soaked, police would be called by the police officer that EVERY ER in the US is required to have, even in 1974, so it would more logical to go there.
- Once you have arrived, the hospital staff would identify her situation and rush her into ICU. You would wait around for the police and give them a detailed account, as best you can, but most importantly, you could give a general description of where this woman found you.

Now if you are willing to agree with that so far, it would follow that Sally would eventually be calmed down and capable of remembering some details. It could take a little while, depending on her state of mind, but the police would not reject her story. It is their duty to investigate all matters and you have to wonder what kind of response you would have as a cop if the story you were just told is:

"A crazy group of people just murdered four of my friends and my younger brother, who also happens to be disabled, then tried to murder me about x amount of miles that way!"

In reality, Sally would have survived and not gone insane(Fuck you TCM3), the police would have sent a massive portion of their force, assemble a swat team and not just send one rookie cop who of course gets killed before the opening credits.

By letting Sally live, the grounded in reality approach ruins the chance for a sequel because it is not possible for anything but the above scenario to play out. By killing her off or leaving it a mystery, it would have allowed critical thinking to keep pace. Instead, by letting her live, I was left with the question of what, logically, happened next? How is there any more to tell in this concise story? To me, it is probably the single biggest flaw the franchise has had. TCM was awesome and the only one worth seeing. Everything else with that name has been largely forgettable and not worth even seeing once.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:46 pm 

I'm more forgiving of the TCM sequels than most, but some of the later ones took me a second viewing to appreciate. Except "Next Generation" with Matthew McConaughey and Renée Zellweger, which took me two tries just to get through it. That's easily the worst of them IMO, and even if I don't end up liking the newest one I doubt it'll be as bad as TCM: NG.

Quote:
Raw - 8/10 - One of the most controversial horror movies of the past few years that convinces with realistic settings, good acting performances and a surprising ending.

This one didn't quite connect with me the way I wanted it to. I kept thinking I would have liked it more if I'd been a native French speaker. It was about a week ago that I watched it and some scenes are still stuck in my mind, so that's a good sign. I'd probably give it a 5.5 or 6 / 10, with the disclaimer that the language barrier might be unfairly dragging down my rating.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:47 pm 

I didn't even think Raw was much of a horror movie. It was a quirky, dark coming of age tale with some gruesome stuff in it, but the core of the story seemed to be something quite different from a horror movie. It was more a metaphoric thing than anything else, like It Follows but without the overt horror stuff It Follows used to spice up its own metaphors.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:01 pm 

re: TCM talk
The survivor being able to possibly one day recount what happened to her is completely irrelevant to the horror she's witnessed and endured. She'll suffer from PTSD the rest of her life, having awful flashbacks every time she hears a two-step motor. To add to the misery? She has no idea where it all happened as her and her friends were completely lost. Also, given the father's role as local sheriff, is it all that likely that anything will come of it anyway?

I enjoyed TCM 2, parts of TCM 3, and TCM:NG gave us Matthew McConaughey at his overacting hammy best. Even the remake has R Lee Ermey to focus on, and TCM: Beginning has...uhhhh, Jordana Brewster's charming self? Texas Chainsaw 3D is rubbish only worthwhile to enjoy Alexandra Daddario's half shirt.

darkeningday wrote:

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:04 pm 

Yeah TCM 3D had highly effective wardrobe design. Even when she changes shirts in the middle of the movie, she makes sure to leave the new one unbuttoned to keep showing off those killer abs.

TCM 3D and TCM 2 are the ones I liked better on re-watch. TCM 2's wacky tone caught me off guard at first, even though my Leonard Maltin guide warned me about it for years. And TCM 3D's second half story turn didn't work for me originally, but eventually I learned to live with it.

It Stains the Sands Red - A zombie movie from the Grave Encounters people. The first half was slow and repetitive and made me fear the entire movie would be that way. Fortunately things picked up when more characters were introduced, so the second half was much better. Too uneven to recommend, but had its good points. The main actress did a nice job.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:33 am 

Kong: Skull Island:
https://www.filmaffinity.com/en/film765030.html
Man, we JUST saw it for the visuals but the plot and the bad monsters were embarrasing. :nono:

Talented Juli
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:48 am 

I watched Perfect Blue. It's not particularly scary, but I liked it as a horror movie anyways.

The scenes showing random otaku discussing Mima's career stuck out to me. I could go to the KPop thread on /mu/ right now and see discussions that were completely indistinguishable from what was being said in the movie. I also enjoyed how disorienting the movie was. That was a surprise, because I usually do not like it when directors make their films disorienting in order to convey a character's confusion. It almost never helps me to relate to the character's mental state, and instead just feels like on-the-nose symbolism. In Perfect Blue, it really helped me to identify with Mima's experience, and it was genuinely disorienting at times. The movie actually tricked me into thinking I knew what was going on a few times—when in fact, I didn't—which probably helped in stringing me along. Without that, I may easily have become tired of having no idea what was and wasn't real. The happy ending was also a welcome surprise.

Sepulchrave wrote:
You seem to be into more psychological, sometimes slow-burn stuff, judging by your response to It Follows, so, off the bat, I'll just recommend Jacob's Ladder, Noroi: The Curse (I recommend avoiding reading the premise as much as possible), Ringu, Mulholland Drive, The Wicker Man (1973), and Kill List.

Thanks for the recs. A friend told me that he liked Noroi (don't worry he didn't explain the premise) a few nights ago while we were looking for horror movies to watch on Netflix. Note: Netflix streaming has a dismal selection for horror. Almost nothing I wanted to watch was actually on there.

acid_bukkake wrote:
EDIT:
Add all films listed here to your list, Juli. And PLEEEEASE see the original TCM before the remake.

Will do. Wasn't planning on watching any TCM past the original, anyways.

I might have to check out Happy Death Day. I was kinda on the fence about it, but I've heard mostly good things about it. Also wanna see Get Out, idk how I forgot about that one. And uh, House in the Woods I guess. Let Me In, too.

Jeeze, this feels like when I was first getting into death metal and I just had this landslide of material to check out. It's a bit daunting, but undeniably exciting.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:00 am 

At least you're diving in during a high point for horror. My cherry popping (and I'd imagine a few others here) came at a time when I Know What You Did Last Summer and other Scream knock-offs were popular, when the last of the mom n' pop video stores were dying out.

Upside: can't get fooled by awesome box art
Downside: harder to find weird little gems like Kolobos (inspired my username)

darkeningday wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:05 am 

Yeah, horror is awesome right now. When I got into it, there was nothing but shitty supernatural slashers and remakes, then a few years later nothing but awful James Wan type movies. It inspired me to start Cinema Freaks because we were just making fun of so many of these dumb movies already anyway. Now we have a burgeoning indie scene. There are at least a handful of choice picks every year. It's awesome.

Kill, Baby... Kill - This was a marvelous film. Telling the story of a small rural town haunted by mysterious deaths and suicides after a little girl died, a modern doctor and police chief try to get to the bottom of it and find it's more than they expected. I couldn't get enough of the imagery and colors in this - it was a remastered version and full of swathes of spooky churches, crosses and ancient crumbling buildings, all orange and deep blue and black, and wind blowing all the time. Gorgeous fucking movie to look at. The story was fast paced and involved a lot of odd twists and turns and supernatural goings-on. I couldn't turn my eyes away from this and didn't want to. Should be a fucking Halloween classic far as I'm concerned.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:54 pm 

Watched "Predestination" over the weekend - a low-key, entertaining time travel paradox movie. I could seriously watch twisty time travel movies all day, though, so your mileage may vary.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:43 pm 

If y'all want an actually fun, satisfying recent horror anthology, check out Southbound.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:18 am 

Talented Juli wrote:
I've not watched many horror films, and i'm just dipping my toe into the genre now. I'd like to keep doing. Anybody got any recommendations? Currently on my list: Videodrome, Naked Lunch, Green Room, Bone Tomahawk, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Perfect Blue.

It depends what you have already seen. I'd definitely recommend watching Texas Chainsaw Massacre. A true cult classic in the most pure sense of the word. It was a low budget nothing, but it turned into something indeed due to word of mouth and such. Rob Ager has a great analysis of the film too, I'd recommend watching AFTER you see the film. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxxATDKcLz0 (Remember watch AFTER)

The Shining is probably my all time favorite horror film. I just saw it in theaters for the first time ever last October, right before Halloween. It was a totally different experience seeing it in theaters.

There's a lot of different subgenres in horror. Slasher, body gore/horror, supernatural, haunted house, zombies, psychological, then you have your sci-fi horror like Alien/Aliens/Event Horizon.

The obvious classics are: The Exorcist, Halloween, Dawn of the Dead, Alien, The Shining, Evil Dead, The Thing, Poltergeist, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Aliens, Hellraiser, etc. Those are some of my favorites. All from the 70s and 80s interestingly. I think those two decades were definitely the best horror has ever been.

The Witch seems like a good slow burn horror (I didn't watch all of it yet).

Talented Juli
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:35 am 

The Witch is currently plaguing my google search results, as I'm trying to find the name of a movie I heard about a few years back featuring a witch. Medieval European setting, about a group of people who set off into a marsh in search of a witch, released some time in early 2010s IIRC. Every attempt at finding it returns reams of search results about The Witch. Granted, The Witch looks really good and I'll definitely want to see it, but I wish it would just fuck off for a little goddamn bit so I can find this other movie.

BenjaminC81
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:19 am 

Sounds vaguely familair. Doesn't happen to be "Black Death" by Christopher Smith?!? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj3Jw1DLGpA

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:18 am 

Possibly 2011's Season of the Witch, starring Nicholas Cage and Ron Perlman.

darkeningday wrote:

Talented Juli
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:51 pm 

I am quite certain it was not Season of the Witch. It may have been Black Death. Black Death wasn't *quite* what I remember, but it is close, and it was a good while ago that I initially heard about the movie, so my memory is a little bit hazy.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:32 pm 

Coincidentally I saw the 1973 Season of the Witch just a few days ago at a small theater that was showing a selection of Romero's non-zombie films. It was really good, not a horror film exactly or even a supernatural film, more of a straight drama with slight horror and supernatural elements. It's about a middle-aged, middle-class woman who is afraid of growing old and afraid to acknowledge her carnal, un-bourgeoisie desires, who turns to Witchcraft/Wicca as an outlet - it's never clear that any of her rituals actually work, but they do work in the sense that her belief in them allows her to do what she otherwise wouldn't have, such as seducing a younger man and carrying on an affair. It actually paints a quite nuanced portrait, with even the stereotypical work-obsessed, repressive, boring husband character being shown as having good qualities mixed in with his bad ones.

Apparently it's not a popular entry in Romero's filmography, which is understandable given how different it is (at least from the ones he's famous for). The acting isn't always great and it's quite slow-paced, but personally I found it very interesting and with a good point solidly presented.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:41 am 

Please never watch the 2011 Season of the Witch. What an utter shit pile of a movie that was.

Watched Baskin again, this time finally all in one sitting. My assessment was basically the same as last year - it's a visually fantastic, horrific film with writing that is just kinda OK and workmanlike. The first 20 minutes are slightly dull - but after that it kicks into gear and is highly enjoyable as a pulpy schlock-gore fest with cool occult elements. Shallow, but well done for what it is.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:04 am 

Watched the Addams Family for the first time. The plot made no sense, but each individual scene was brilliant. This film should also be in some top ten set design list.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:17 am 

The second one, Addams Family Values, holds up a bit better. ESPECIALLY the stuff at the summer camp. It's almost exactly what you'd expect it to be but feels so, so right that it makes up for the other plot being mediocre.

Except "Malibu Barbie." The rant about it by Joan Cusack is great.

darkeningday wrote:

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:56 am 

Watched the second "Jack Reacher" movie - absolutely terrible, boring, incredibly safe shit. One wonders if Tommy Boy meddled with the direction here too.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:58 am 

demonomania wrote:
Watched the second "Jack Reacher" movie - absolutely terrible, boring, incredibly safe shit. One wonders if Tommy Boy meddled with the direction here too.

Barely made it through this on an airplane. Terrible movie.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Talented Juli
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:33 am 

Watched Noroi.

The nature of found footage is spoiled significantly by taking place in an alternate universe where the existence of psychic powers is seen as a fairly normal thing. That being said, I still liked it, and was still quite spooked. I liked a lot of the set-up. The gaps between the cuts were brutal. The reveal of what the ectoplasmic worms were was good.

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:42 pm 

I am going to see Jigsaw (or Saw 8) Friday evening. I have kept away from all the trailers and have not interacted with anyone on fan forums (Sawfreaks, HouseOfJigsaw, et al) so as to go into the film completely blind. I prefer going into films with as little knowledge as possible, especially these films. I am a Saw fan but I am different then most who are. Most fans generally love the first film but I hated it. I watched it at some point in 2005, a friend brought over the DVD, and I thought (still do) that it was one of the stupidest films I've ever seen.

To be sure I have seen films that were less intelligent but most that I categorize as stupid I never expected anything intelligent from anyway. I held Saw to a higher standard due to the synopsis on the back of the DVD case. That brief overview of the plot was riveting, unique and, most of all, believable. What is so impossible about, Two men wake up shackled in a dilapidated bathroom, with a corpse between them, and are informed they are part of a demented game of psychological torture and will be left to die if no action is taken!? - How can that premise be considered improbable?

When the film concluded however, my exact words were, "That movie fue estúpido." - I was extremely disappointed because it was riddled with so many scenes that lacked logic and reasoning. So how did I become a fan?

That same friend pestered me to see Saw 2 until I finally relented when it came out later that year. We went to the theater and, by the end of the film, I was blown away. Gone were the moments of complete ridiculous, logic defining, brain bending stupidity and in their place was a gritty, fast paced character study occasionally interrupted by people trying to survive a deadly game. I realized halfway through the film that I should not be enjoying it, because...

1. It starred Donnie Walhberg.
  2. It was a horror film paced and framed like an action film.
  3. It put Jigsaw at the forefront.

1. I have liked anything the Walhbergs have done. Never any song or film by them, never believed they were quality actors/singers/rappers. When it comes to acting however, Donnie is far superior to Mark, if for nothing else than his appearances in Saw 2 - 4. While he did great in all three, he was featured most in Saw 2 and gave a career defining performance. Eric Mathews is one of the most engaging and diverse characters horror has.
  2. I prefer the creeping style of the original Saw because horror films are usually better when slowly paced and brooding with dark atmosphere. However it would have clashed with the style established in Saw if they tried to repeat it. The original script for Saw 2 was written by Darren Lynn Bousman, a director of music videos, who was pitching it as an action film.
  3. Very few films can bank on seeing the villain up close, having a known identity and backstory. Usually when a horror antagonist is the central character or is featured prominently, both of which happened in Saw 2, it weakens whatever mystery could be established. Thanks to clever writing and a masterful Tobin Bell performance, Jigsaw was able to become both the focus and yet still exist in a Lovecraft realm where so much remains devilishly elusive.

I do not recall what exactly was the first horror film I ever watched but it was at some point in the mid 70's. Over the subsequent 30 years I had built up what I considered was how a horror film should exist, but that all changed October 28th, 2005 since Saw 2 defied everything I thought of horror up to that point. It remains one of my favorite horror films ever conceived and the moment I realized it was what I now know is around the 17 minute mark. Right after Eric finds out Jigsaw has his son he demands answers but it was while Jigsaw is saying to him, "But I would imagine, he is cowering in a corner with a look on his face..." and the camera angle switches to Eric. Between the lighting, ambiance, Jigsaw's voice and the expression on Eric's face it makes for an awesome hook. It lasts literally for just two seconds but it was enough that I remember saying out loud in the theaters, "Oh shit, it's on now."

This is already overly long so I won't detail each film, I'll condense the rest.
Saw 3. My favorite of the series in regards to the story. It is tragic and gruesome simultaneously but because of the emotional depth, I find it one of my least favorite to watch.
Saw 4. My favorite of the series in regards to excitement. It is overly complicated and was the start of the story becoming much less probable, but damn if it is not an entertaining and fast paced film. It is also proof that the films may have influenced torture porn - and occasionally did give into its ability to naturally show torture - but that the traps were just a gimmick.

Since I liken Saw 4 to that of an action film, albeit with horror overtones, then it must follow the standards of an action film. The most exciting moment of an action film is its climax, that is where most of the machismo is saved for. Since Saw, and by default Saw 4, is "nothing but torture porn" it would likely save all of its "torture porn" for the climax. Instead the final 17 minute act features only 3 deaths, all of which occur in less than five seconds, two of which are by a single gunshot. The most gruesome and "torture porn" of the deaths was Eric and that death lasted less than a millisecond. The film also missed out on a chance to show Rigg bleeding to death - in fact we never actually see him die - and missed a chance to show someone get electrocuted. Also a main character you expect to die is literally left alive by the main villain. If torture porn is supposed to be showing characters being excessively torture and witnessing their agonizingly final death throes as if to relish on them, how is what I described in this paragraph torture porn?

Saw 5. My least favorite of the five films in the series I like, not bad overall and I think critics of the series could enjoy this over others, but it lacks when compared to...
Saw 6. One of the definitive highlights since Hoffman is pure bad ass by this point and his escape from the RBT during the climax is one of the smartest moments of any horror film... EVER!
Saw 7. Horrendously bad and second worst of the series, an extremely disappointing conclusion to the saga. The only thing that makes this film superior to the original is it has a higher budget and can therefore be a well made big budget production.

I will give my thoughts on the film after I see it. I hope it is well made.

Last edited by Luvers on Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:44 pm 

Watch out, I heard they really amped up the inherently-American christian themes this time around (whooops, spoiler alert)!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 683, 684, 685, 686, 687, 688, 689 ... 818  Next