Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:22 am 

Well I guess there are no sprinkles springing from that horn. Still, you can spin one hell of a yarn. Keep it up, your reviews are great.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:38 pm 

I just gave my first 8 pointer in years to zeingard's review of Bear Mace, almost entirely for the amazing pun in the title and describing the double bass sections as "a rain of raw chicken on concrete". Git gud at descriptive writing, kids. It can be an amazing illustrative aspect to your critiques.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:04 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I just gave my first 8 pointer in years to zeingard's review of Bear Mace, almost entirely for the amazing pun in the title and describing the double bass sections as "a rain of raw chicken on concrete".

Zeingard's is a very entertaining and factually fulfilling read, that's for sure. I might have to listen to more DM just so I can steal that line about raw chicken.

Just out of interest, how many points does a scribe get for each review? I'm sure this is something I could find out for myself, but this is my Sunday morning, you know.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:56 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Just out of interest, how many points does a scribe get for each review? I'm sure this is something I could find out for myself, but this is my Sunday morning, you know.

My understanding is that every review gets 5 points if you're a scribe.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:20 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
I just gave my first 8 pointer in years to zeingard's review of Bear Mace, almost entirely for the amazing pun in the title and describing the double bass sections as "a rain of raw chicken on concrete".

Zeingard's is a very entertaining and factually fulfilling read, that's for sure. I might have to listen to more DM just so I can steal that line about raw chicken.

Liking the U.A. review; pretty much feel the same way, mostly, although, I think it's an 80% album... I think we've been here before over the marking of an MD album. Two things–I think that U.A is stronger than Endgame. Endgame has a great lead opening, followed by 'This Day', which is excellent modern MD. And, 'Head Crusher', along with the finale is pretty good. The rest is like groovy C.T.E. rehashed ideas, with dull compositions. And, not to be too pedantic, you called 'Play for Blood', 'Pray for Blood', but so what; not really worth changing that.

And, 'A Tout Le Monde' did seem like a completely worthless exercise. U.A. was like 2 good songs away from being a much better album.

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:15 pm 

Just reading a couple of reviews; Chairthrower manages to provide a good description of the music on an album, which helps, especially to someone like myself who doesn't know i.e. Crushing Axes. At the other end of the spectrum is Wacke, who chooses to criticize Mustaine and Megadeth rather than describe the music, and frankly, the analysis is poor.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:04 am 

Psyche_Dome wrote:
Liking the U.A. review; pretty much feel the same way, mostly, although, I think it's an 80% album... I think we've been here before over the marking of an MD album. Two things–I think that U.A is stronger than Endgame. Endgame has a great lead opening, followed by 'This Day', which is excellent modern MD. And, 'Head Crusher', along with the finale is pretty good. The rest is like groovy C.T.E. rehashed ideas, with dull compositions. And, not to be too pedantic, you called 'Play for Blood', 'Pray for Blood', but so what; not really worth changing that.

And, 'A Tout Le Monde' did seem like a completely worthless exercise. U.A. was like 2 good songs away from being a much better album.

Well, it seems like you follow the Megadeth reviews quite a bit. I think the reason why this one gets a lower score from me than 'Endgame' is because there are songs on 'Endgame' that really heat my blood, but U.A. just has songs that are either pretty good or average, but nothing outstanding. I should have noticed the 'Pray for Blood' thing: for some reason, my digital copy has that as the track name although I know that Mustaine is singing about playing for blood.

On Wacke's review, I'm not really in agreement with his point at all, because however modern 'Dystopia' may be, I don't see the evidence for calling it "soulless" or "another turd in Megadeth's catalogue". I know I've been a harsh scorer on the band, but I haven't spotted any turds so far (I'm not tempted to listen to 'Super Collider') and think 'Dystopia' was a step up on most fronts. Also, I'm surprised that Dave is "a multi-millionaire" - I'm pretty sure if he had any money, he'd find a way to get rid of it pretty quickly.

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:26 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Well, it seems like you follow the Megadeth reviews quite a bit. I think the reason why this one gets a lower score from me than 'Endgame' is because there are songs on 'Endgame' that really heat my blood, but U.A. just has songs that are either pretty good or average, but nothing outstanding. I should have noticed the 'Pray for Blood' thing: for some reason, my digital copy has that as the track name although I know that Mustaine is singing about playing for blood.

On Wacke's review, I'm not really in agreement with his point at all, because however modern 'Dystopia' may be, I don't see the evidence for calling it "soulless" or "another turd in Megadeth's catalogue". I know I've been a harsh scorer on the band, but I haven't spotted any turds so far (I'm not tempted to listen to 'Super Collider') and think 'Dystopia' was a step up on most fronts. Also, I'm surprised that Dave is "a multi-millionaire" - I'm pretty sure if he had any money, he'd find a way to get rid of it pretty quickly.

I try to read as many reviews as possible just to pick up on any different bands that might interest me. As for Megadeth, I've been listening to them and the other '80s thrashers for over 25 years, so it always interests me more, especially when someone calls Dystopia a 'turd'. Risk and Super Collider are 'turds', although lyrically, Risk isn't so bad on paper; Collider is just a 'turd' on every level.

I had to come back and edit; I forgot to add that U.A. is consistently good to average, while Endgame does have more of those real great head banging, crushing songs, like 'This Day' and 'Head Crusher', so I get your angle. It's good modern MD; just hope the next release surpasses Dystopia. I want to hear a few more Black Friday's.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:25 pm 

Methinks the new Reptilian Death review has gotta go. Not that I am a fan (or have even listened to the band), but the review is chock full of unhelpful hyperbole and borderline racism. The reviewer locks in on the fact that the band is from India, states that they might have made their music in their "caves," describes the band members as an Indian "tribe," and then there's this whole paragraph:

"Is there one-tiny-thing I can say positive about these Indians and they're terrible gimmick? Probably not and I don't give a fuck. They'd be better off flying their magickal, wannabe death metal carpets and preaching how shitty their culture is. Stick to your foreign, traditional music, guys. I don't mean to rip on Indians and their culture, but solemnly, these guys are a fucking joke, they're a bigger joke than feeding an elephant peanuts for breakfast."

NUKE.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:12 pm 

"I don't mean to rip on Indians and their culture, but lol they're both shit."

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:58 pm 

That review is shit.* Will it be saved by the fact that it includes musical description despite being a racist vomit-wank? Time will tell.

"Their whole land is a zoo." Go fuck yourself, buddy.

* All his reviews are shit.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:34 pm 

I say nuke and warn/ban. Not actively suppressing bigotry - when having the power - is tantamount to fostering it.

Link.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:03 pm 

Probably up there with the worst reviews I've read on this site. Bigot trash.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:04 pm 

I may be overstepping my bounds but I retroactively rejected it. We've asked for edits of Arghoslent reviews that drop the N bomb or say other similar things and I mean, at least those are in context. The review itself is fine outside of all that shit but it really has no place in a review here. He's more than free to resubmit it with that crap cut out.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:45 am 

I read that Reptilian Death review and the comments about Indians was just way too inflammatory and unnecessary. Personally, I'm not offended; I'm sure an Indian might have been offended if he called them 'Pakistani'.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:53 am 

Props to psychoticnicholai for reviewing Meshuggah's 'Koloss' and managing to fit this analogy in:

"It just sits on one groove and doesn't go anywhere, like a morbidly obese guy in a broken Wal-mart scooter."

The more I think about it, the more apt it sounds.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:55 pm 

The opening sentence for the new To Mega Therion review is baffling. I had to stop reading immediately, but I can't stop thinking about it:

"On To Mega Therion, Swiss metallers Celtic Frost manage to take a would-be monotonous and repetitive proto-death metal record and make it memorable as well as epic."

99% rating. Thank god they saved this unbelievably classic album from being monotonous and repetitive...close call!

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:02 am 

Jonpo wrote:
The opening sentence for the new To Mega Therion review is baffling. I had to stop reading immediately, but I can't stop thinking about it:

"On To Mega Therion, Swiss metallers Celtic Frost manage to take a would-be monotonous and repetitive proto-death metal record and make it memorable as well as epic."

99% rating. Thank god they saved this unbelievably classic album from being monotonous and repetitive...close call!

Ezra's (new reviewer) Reign in Blood review adds ' Slayer never achieved any commercial success. ' They were commercially successful in the late '80s and early '90s, tailing off when metal was being beaten down.

Ezra gave the album 97%, then finished his review with 'All in all, this is a solid album that should be in every metalhead's collection.' If he think that it's worth that much then it's a 'colossal' album.

On the other hand he gave Celtic Frost's Mega Therion a 99% and matched that with stating that it was a 'masterpiece'.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:21 am 

Personally speaking, "Solid" is my polite way of saying "this is okay I guess."

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:10 pm 

It can vary, "solid" to me = "that's pretty damn good!"

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:03 pm 

Damn, the Poser Holocaust 0% meme is broken.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:02 am 

tahu157 wrote:

But the average is, what, 1%? I don't think they're in danger of gaining a positive reputation yet.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:04 am 

Yeh, I'm not actually upset. Just thought it was noteworthy.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:56 am 

The new Pestilence was an enjoyable read. It just wasn't Mameli doing the vocals on that record, damnit! :p

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:06 am 

I agree that Thrash or Die isn't particularly great but it doesn't deserve 0% or 1%. I have heard a lot worse and the band is definitely very passionate about what it's doing. I don't really get all the hate.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

Felix 1666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:08 pm 

@colin 040

Thanks for your kind words and of course, you are right. I have edited the review. But now you know why I wrote "senile geezers like me..."

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:20 pm 

tahu157 wrote:

Never forget.

Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:21 pm 

The band also paid to grossly inflate their Facebook "likes" total. More reason to hate them.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:05 am 

That new Rust In Peace review is quite bad. Okay, he doesn't like some songs. Okay, he hates the vocals. Fair enough I guess. But he also starts with

Quote:
I get a fucking guitar instructional manual/How to Shred 101 class conducted by Prof. Mart Friedman.

but he praises Friedman as a good addition to the band later on. Also a huge chunk of the review is actually not about Rust In Peace, but goes full anachronism and talks about (mostly) Countdown and other albums. And then, there is this gem:

Quote:
I’m just sick and fed up with these bleating sheeple in the metalhead community crying “baa, baa, this is the best thrash album if not the greatest metal album in existence, baa, baa”. PURE BULLSHIT. If this album is judged based on its own merits, it is at best, decent, just not memorable.

... and he gives it 15%. I am genuinely butthurt.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:32 am 

TheWaltzer wrote:
That new Rust In Peace review is quite bad. Okay, he doesn't like some songs. Okay, he hates the vocals. Fair enough I guess. But he also starts with

Quote:
I get a fucking guitar instructional manual/How to Shred 101 class conducted by Prof. Mart Friedman.

but he praises Friedman as a good addition to the band later on. Also a huge chunk of the review is actually not about Rust In Peace, but goes full anachronism and talks about (mostly) Countdown and other albums. And then, there is this gem:

Quote:
I’m just sick and fed up with these bleating sheeple in the metalhead community crying “baa, baa, this is the best thrash album if not the greatest metal album in existence, baa, baa”. PURE BULLSHIT. If this album is judged based on its own merits, it is at best, decent, just not memorable.

... and he gives it 15%. I am genuinely butthurt.

What's also laughable is the fact that he writes:

Quote:
Virtually, the only songs worth listening to here are the first two tracks, “Holy Wars/The Punishment Due” and “Hangar 18” and the last three tracks (which require repeated listens to be truly appreciated). Holy Wars isn’t perfect because after the guitar solo, it is followed by the mediocre Punishment Due part of the song and is also blemished by Dave’s laughable attempt at singing

Quote:
And: If this album is judged based on its own merits, it is at best, decent, just not memorable.

So he's saying that approx. 60% is worth listening to, and some of that can be 'truly appreciated', yet he's given the album 15%; there's something rotten here.

Also, the solo play is in the 'Punishment Due' part, so he's just shitting on the album for the sake of mugging everyone else off.

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:39 am 

I prefer bayern's reviews when they are like the one for Santuary Lost; they just a little easier to consume.

TadakatsuH0nda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:42 am 

I went into that review giving him a fair shot to offer his hot take, and he nearly lost me right from the first sentence where he calls himself a Megadeth fanboy, but writes their name as MegaDeth. No, clearly you aren't a fanboy at all if you type their name screwy in the first 3 words of your edgy review (plus two other times in the review) not to mention doing that when tearing apart a classic album. I read the rest of it, but it just gives off an aura of hating everything just for the sake of hating it and coming off as super forced and kinda phony anger, at least to me.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Japanese Metal Forum

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:45 am 

I love all the completely random other albums he lists throughout as 'better'... it really has no rhyme or reason to it and the review comes off as needlessly contrarian.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:25 am 

I think maybe this guy is tugging our legs. I can't explain why people would write the following things otherwise.

Quote:
For their third follow-up, Dave Mustaine wisely dropped the brutal card in favor of songs that were more dynamic and multi-dimensional instead of just concentrating on the speed and violence factor alone.

I think I've missed the parts of 'Peace Sells' where Dave was "concentrating on speed and violence alone". Would that be the catchy (and fairly slow) title track? Or has he got confused about 'I Ain't Superstitious'?

Quote:
overshadowed by other releases around the same time by Carnivore and Flotsam and Jetsam

Quote:
the evil tech themes tackled here were much better handled by other bands. Carnivore’s self-titled debut was filled with these end world scenarios but with tongue held firmly in cheek.

Is this a Peter Steele prank? Why else would Carnivore be mentioned twice in a RiP review?

However, it's this one that makes me certain it's a troll.

Quote:
this is the best thing since Bavarian chocolate

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the Belgians who are leaders in this field?

There are also all kind of other absurdities, like saying that Fates Warning 'The Spectre Within' is technically superior and generally better, yet that's also an album that overindulges in showy playing and has potentially annoying vocals. Oh, and saying that Testament's 'The Legacy' is a far superior thrash album...without really having any thrash songs on it.

If you like irony, I would give the review a read. It's terrific.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:27 am 

That new Megadeth review is a steaming pile of troll excrement, it reads like the guy is a wannabe bitterman who can't even be bothered to structure his bullshit into something that would pass for serious.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:35 am 

Quote:
Let’s not even get started with the non-thrash albums that are better than RIP: Virgin Steele’s House of Atreus Act I and Fates’ Warning’s The Spectre Within are miles ahead of the album in both compositional skill and musical worth, being both masterful power and prog metal classics.

Why the hell would you mention those albums in a Megadeth review? :lol:

Felix 1666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:41 pm 

@gasmask_c.

As a German, I can say that you are absolutely right. Nobody has ever heard of Bavarian chocolate.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:23 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Quote:
Let’s not even get started with the non-thrash albums that are better than RIP: Virgin Steele’s House of Atreus Act I and Fates’ Warning’s The Spectre Within are miles ahead of the album in both compositional skill and musical worth, being both masterful power and prog metal classics.

Why the hell would you mention those albums in a Megadeth review? :lol:

"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:57 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
That new Megadeth review is a steaming pile of troll excrement, it reads like the guy is a wannabe bitterman who can't even be bothered to structure his bullshit into something that would pass for serious.

Yeah, quite true; a crappy read on all counts. Absurd, nonsensical ramblings from which one can't see the justification behind the deplorably low score...

Last edited by bayern on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WR95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:51 pm 

Lich Coldheart wrote:
So... after numerous attempts at bashing Master of Puppets someone decided to downplay Rust in Peace instead. :annoyed: Is Reign in Blood next? Or Spreading the Disease? Bonded by Blood?

They did it again, but with a deplorable score of 15%, worse than Falconsbane's one in 11 years. I'm crestfallen.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 318, 319, 320, 321, 322, 323, 324 ... 520  Next