Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:40 am 

wraithlike wrote:
Anyone know any recent brutal death in the vein of Gorgasm? Masticate, and Orgy of Murder were my favorite albums by them.

So basically just brutal death metal with decent yet dirty production and sparse moments of really nice melodic passages.

-Injury Deepen (Indonesian Gorgasm worship, seriously great stuff).
-Peshmerga and Incestuous are both basically Gorgasm side-projects, share some members, great early 2000s BDM.
-Human Filleted shared some of the same members as well, new line-up, that is.
-Seminal Embalmment like Gorgasm so much they took their name from a song on Masticate to Dominate
-Regurgitation, the one from Ohio, was one of the best Midwest bands around the same time, definitely played a lot of shows together.
-Goratory might be your speed, a little more Cryptopsy-ish, especially on Orgasm Induced Diarrhea.
-Meathook from Arizona has some neat little melodic pieces, at least on the first album, haven't heard the second.
-A lot of Colombian BDM has dirty production and inject some subtle melodies. First bands that come to mind would be Mental Apraxia and Ancient Necropsy definitely. Goretrade, Blaze Inside, and Amputated Genitals have some of the melodic riffs as well, to a bit of a lesser extent, but honestly most Colombian bands do it to some degree.
-Bands that are a bit more tech-y (without being bland-ass wank-core) tend to flirt with the melodic-type riffs a lot; Malignancy, Nefas, Penis Leech, Wormed, Insidious Decrepancy, Inherit Disease, Yattering, old Deeds of Flesh (DEFINITELY) etc. I could see those scratching that itch for you.

That's about all of them that come even remotely close to that sound that I can think of. Hope that helps. Let me know what you like and dislike and I'll try to come up with some more if you want!

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:37 pm 

I'd ask this in the melodeath thread but it's pretty much dead. Are there any bands similar to Arghoslent?

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:05 pm 

I saw someone looking for old school death metal and there were some suggestions to check out Disma and some Incantation worship bands. Has anyone else listened to Ruinous “Graves of Ceaseless Death?” I didn’t buy it immediately when it came out last year. However it’s a really solid album for anyone who likes Disma or Funebrarum. Dark Descent released it and it seems they can’t do much wrong.
Spoiler: show

Azrael44
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:15 pm 

Azrael44 wrote:
I Would like to know if there are Gothic Death Metal albums (with optional various instruments but without doom metal)

Up

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:15 am 

^

How about these twoo albums from Germany, the land of goths!?

Both get loads of bashing, but I find them (rather) interesting:

Atrocity - Blut (okay, this one has some folky stuff, but no doom)
Luna Field - Diva

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:40 pm 

Azrael44 wrote:
Azrael44 wrote:
I Would like to know if there are Gothic Death Metal albums (with optional various instruments but without doom metal)

Up

Crematory - Transmigration & Just Dreaming
Lake Of Tears - Greater Art
Cemetary - Godless Beauty
Sentenced - Amok & The Trooper EP
Cryhavoc - Sweetbriers & Pitch-Black Blues

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:13 pm 

im looking for death metal with drumming similar to Avulsed on Ritual Zombie. Dont know if this description is clear enough but any recs would be appreciated.

Here's a sample

Larval Divination
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:45 pm 

IamDBR wrote:
I'd ask this in the melodeath thread but it's pretty much dead. Are there any bands similar to Arghoslent?

Nobody! Still, the closest I've ever gotten is probably House Of Atreus. You could also try Ares Kingdom and Sacriphyx, always got a few Arghoslent vibes out of those two.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:45 pm 

Appreciate it, thanks!

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:27 am 

IamDBR wrote:

You should check out Mi'gauss

Been trying to remember this band since i saw your request, less jubilant than Arghoslent but somewhat similiar. Regardless its good stuff and features dudes from Rottrevore.

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:09 am 

What are the best Opeth albums? I don’t like the clean singing on ghost of perdition but I like the rest of it. I like Blackwater Park

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:27 pm 

pale_horse wrote:
What are the best Opeth albums? I don’t like the clean singing on ghost of perdition but I like the rest of it. I like Blackwater Park

Basically, Ghost Reveries was their last good album. So anything before that. You'll probably like their earliest ones, like Orchid, Morningrise, and My Arms, Your Hearse.

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:30 pm 

Hello, I'm looking for songs with riffs that are melancholic or sorrowful. I'm not looking for any slow or depressing songs. Something fast or midpaced but has the sense of urgency or loss.
Something like the beginning to this:

and the part at 1:34

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:42 am 

I would suggest you the following:

Hypocrisy - Apocalypse
Hypocrisy - The Final Chapter
Hypocirsy - Disconnected Magnetic Corridors
Dismember - Life - Another Shape of Sorrow
God Dethroned - The Day You Died
Vallenfyre - A Thousand Martyrs

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:12 pm 

So, I've stumbled upon some interesting bands today that I just couldn't keep for myself.

Nomenmortis from Slovakia - I discovered them through RYM and while their debut got described as early melodic death metal in the vein of Dark Tranquillity and At The Gates mixed with early Kataklym, I'm not so sure if that's how I'd describe their debut. It's definitely melodic, though, but more in a unconventional manner. I hear a bit of Morbid Angel in their sound, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULjCMgFSvgc

Speaking of early Kataklysm, this band Cephalectomy aren't far off them. Crazy and chaotic yet delivering songs that just make sense. Been spinning their second album today and while I know it will require a few spins for me to get, I can't say I dislike what I'm hearing so far. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ64tIwpAF4

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:03 am 

colin040 wrote:
Speaking of early Kataklysm, this band Cephalectomy aren't far off them. Crazy and chaotic yet delivering songs that just make sense.

Cephalectomy are great that album especially so. Occasionally gets a bit too quirky for its own good but probably the closest thing I can think of in spirit to mid period Cryptopsy with some decent melodic death metal thrown in.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:16 pm 

I like it so far - although I couldn't imagine liking any death metal that's more chaotic than that.

So, I've been spinning Appalling Spawn's Freedom, Hope & Fury (The Second Spawn) since yesterday and so far I like it a lot. I really like the contrast between the blasting aggression and the strangely otherworldly melodic riffs - you'd think that an album like that would come off as a huge gimmick trying to combine the two but to me it works strangely enough. I better give Lykathea Aflame a revisit soon, too. Surely it's not very different from this band musical wise I suppose. :p

BobSaggett69
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:49 pm 

Looking for bands like Horrendous - can't stop listening to their past two albums and only want more / something similar. Thanks in advance.

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:17 am 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:
pale_horse wrote:

Basically, Ghost Reveries was their last good album. So anything before that. You'll probably like their earliest ones, like Orchid, Morningrise, and My Arms, Your Hearse.

As for Opeth: go back in history with Orchid and check then towards the present. For me Orchid and Morningrise are the best and they've lost me with each newer record a bit more. Maybe it is the same with you, maybe it is the exact opposite.

If you want to check out some bands similar to Opeth, maybe try this:
* Katatonia - Brave Murder Day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZK9o1lyv_k

* What about the German band Scythe which turned to something similar Progressive Death over their time of existence ?
From their last record: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3_rw-DB1fQ (the break on 4:50min from one passage to another is typical older Opeth) and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMD13nmIZ7E
Raw debut: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiPoEE8z46U

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:16 am 

Hayisforhorses wrote:
You should check out Mi'gauss

Been trying to remember this band since i saw your request, less jubilant than Arghoslent but somewhat similiar. Regardless its good stuff and features dudes from Rottrevore.

Apologies, missed this one. Really enjoying this so far. Thanks!
Are you guys familiar with Bufihimat? Russian 3 piece; grinding, mathy tech/bdm:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vhL3m8eDGoM
I was listening to the latest Hate album & was pretty pleased with it. Need something in that vein, vaguely proggy black/death wrapped up in ritualistic/esoteric shtick.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:11 pm 

BobSaggett69 wrote:
Looking for bands like Horrendous - can't stop listening to their past two albums and only want more / something similar. Thanks in advance.

Morbus Chron's Swven album

Tribulation after their debut album.

Temisto

Think all of those bands are Swedish.

Also, almost forgot Cadaveric Fumes, which kind of moved into that territory with this EP.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:17 pm 

The last few days I had decided to give Cryptopsy one last chance and gave Blasphemy Made Flesh and None So Vile a few spins. While the former still goes one hear in and one hear out the latter really seem to click; what an intense sick album full of technical riffs and gurgling intensity. I'm amazed that I didn't like this one before, because it fucking rips.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:13 pm 

I much prefer NSV as well. Blasphemy is solid, but it's pretty forgettable for the most part to me as well, and I really don't like the production on it. None So Vile on the other hand deserves every ounce of praise it receives, easily a top 5 death metal album of all-time for me.

On a similar note, I've been listening to Archspire's new album trying to get into it. I think it has all the pieces to make a tech-death album work for me, and I suspect it will after awhile, but it hasn't fully clicked just yet.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:42 am 

IamDBR wrote:
Are you guys familiar with Bufihimat? Russian 3 piece; grinding, mathy tech/bdm:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vhL3m8eDGoM

I have this album and I really think this band is going places. The band is super tight and they play a really wicked brand of tech brutal death. They were a favourite from some guy on BangerTV so they got some exposure there. I sense a band hitting heights if they play their cards (and metal) right.

StainedClass95 wrote:
On a similar note, I've been listening to Archspire's new album trying to get into it. I think it has all the pieces to make a tech-death album work for me, and I suspect it will after awhile, but it hasn't fully clicked just yet.

Relentless Mutation is not for everyone, but I really like this (although I'm a huge fan of the band anyway). Keep at it and its secrets might become apparent later. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:12 am 

StainedClass95 wrote:
I much prefer NSV as well. Blasphemy is solid, but it's pretty forgettable for the most part to me as well, and I really don't like the production on it. None So Vile on the other hand deserves every ounce of praise it receives, easily a top 5 death metal album of all-time for me.

Same here, it's strange how my enjoyement varies with two albums so similar in style like these two: NSV is just so damn memorable :)

By the way i'm enjoying Mi'gauss, some song feel a bit too long but i love this kind of non-gothemburg melodic death :)

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:46 am 

MikeyC wrote:

Relentless Mutation is not for everyone, but I really like this (although I'm a huge fan of the band anyway). Keep at it and its secrets might become apparent later. :)

To me, it reminds of what Cryptopsy used to do in the sense that they push the genre to extreme, ridiculous limits, for better or worse. I like it, but can see why others would not.

Boychev
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:19 am 

Hey, can I get recs for albums that are directly inspired by Carcass' Necroticism? I mean in particular the way the long-winded compositions are built along with the tame drumming. Thanks.

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:05 am 

Boychev wrote:
Hey, can I get recs for albums that are directly inspired by Carcass' Necroticism? I mean in particular the way the long-winded compositions are built along with the tame drumming. Thanks.

Try Necrony:
Their debut

Their fantastic cover MCD

Try also Xysma:
Fantastic debut

their first MLP was more Reek-inspired...

Darkshine0
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:07 pm 

Recently I've been listening to a lot of swedish osdm and two particular albums caught my attention: God Macabre - The Winterlong, Gorement - The ending quest. Can anyone recc me something similiar and as good as them?

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:08 pm 

Darkshine0 wrote:
Recently I've been listening to a lot of swedish osdm and two particular albums caught my attention: God Macabre - The Winterlong, Gorement - The ending quest. Can anyone recc me something similiar and as good as them?

Best Gorement worship in my opinion.

Accidental Suicide is another one that reminds me of Gorement.

CapricornSupernaut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:22 pm 

At the moment, I'm enjoying a hell of a lot of brutal/slam death metal and deathcore - probably my brain slowly atrophying :P - like Guttural Slug, Abominable Putridity, Ingested and the like. Anyone got any recommendations for some really nasty, slamming bands along those lines? Whether they err more into deathcore or plain slam death isn't an issue for me, I really enjoy both.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:29 pm 

Any essential death metal bands (of any type) you don't see in my collection that I need to get in to?

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:59 am 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:
Any essential death metal bands (of any type) you don't see in my collection that I need to get in to?

Didn't see any of the following in there:

Autopsy, Morbid Angel, Entombed, Suffocation, Bolt Thrower, Immolation, Incantation, Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Dismember, Asphyx, Demilich

jaykeisstrange
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:32 pm 

Hayisforhorses wrote:
EzraBlumenfeld wrote:

Didn't see any of the following in there:

Autopsy, Morbid Angel, Entombed, Suffocation, Bolt Thrower, Immolation, Incantation, Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Dismember, Asphyx, Demilich

Also Atheist, Atrocity, Benediction, Brutality, Cancer, Cadaver, Darkthrone (Soulside Journey), Gorefest, Master, Sinister, Pestilence, Lykathea Aflame, Convulse, Sentenced, Possessed, Order From Chaos, Hellwitch, Nocturnus, Pan.Thy.Monium, Therion, Angelcorpse, etc...

Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:48 am 

Darkshine0 wrote:

I definitely second the Deathevokation rec. above! And as much as I love Accidental Suicide I cannot help but feel that it is out of place here.

Anyway, try Sentenced- Shadows of the Past, Amorphis- Privilege of Evil and The Karelian Isthmus, Ceremonium- Into the Autumn Shade and Eternal Darkness- Doomed. Should find what you are looking for!

Links:
Privelege of Evil: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zdfAPOztz0
Karelian Isthmus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxnCV6-SIK8
Ceremonium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DafxpZOsGBo
Sentenced: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcbBZPH ... 9K&index=2
Eternal Darkness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9tQPI1Prvk

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:44 am 

Can someone recommend some good solid melo death that you can start with?

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:47 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

If you've never heard any, I suggest you start with the basics. Amon Amarth, At the Gates, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Scar Symmetry, Children of Bodom.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:05 pm 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:
sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

If you've never heard any, I suggest you start with the basics. Amon Amarth, At the Gates, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Scar Symmetry, Children of Bodom.

Ive heard all those except Scar Symmetry

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:59 am 

^
You may try Insomnium's In the Halls of Awaiting and Across the Dark (both classics of the genre) Darkane's Rusted Angel (wich is on the nastier, more hard hitting side of melodeath) Intestine Baalism's second and third album (really underrated band, with two wonderful guitarists) and if you are into the more melodic side of the genre Noumena's Absence is mandatory :)

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:02 am 

Burden Of Grief
Mourning Caress
Dispatched
Gardenian
Kalmah

just to name a few

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264 ... 289  Next