Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:43 pm 

I figured someone should make a thread for this. If anyone wants to participate, I've made a slightly smaller version of the metal year-end one, due to the variety of titles I will probably receive.

Feel free to PM me your Top FIVE only. You can post your list here if you want to start a discussion, but remember that just posting lists is general frowned upon, so add some insight. However I will only count lists that were PM'd to me in the final tally. Points will be scored on a smaller scale.

#1- 5 points
#2- 4 points
#3- 3 points
#4- 2 points
#5- 1 point

Again, anything that IS NOT on the archives counts. So, Full of Hell, Get The Shot accepted, Ulver's newest, not. Another example would be, Anathema's The Optimist doesn't qualify, but Daniel Cavanagh's solo record Monochrome would. If you're unsure if something qualifies, please check before hand. Obviously, one list per member. It'll be interesting to see the wide range of stuff that comes in. I'll leave the poll open until January 1st. (Anyone hyped about that Eminem record has time to hear it before making their list).

Hope to see some familiar titles, as well as a bunch I haven't heard of!

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:47 pm 

even though i am behind the times when it comes to non metal ive heard enough good albums to make a proper list. Easier than with a metal top 10 because i've heard so many more metal albums from this year.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:50 pm 

Mine is probably going to end up just being instrumental progressive rock/post-rock stuff, but it will be interesting to see what the final list looks like.

Daysbetween
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:18 am 

PM sent. My top 5 are all from the 70's but still making albums that I enjoy!

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:48 am 

PM sent.

I think we should refrain from posting lists until after the results are tallied, otherwise the risk is run of the submissions being influenced or prejudiced.

Also, I followed the rules as outlined in the OP, but I think that rigid adherence to the the site's definition of "metal or not?" is deeply flawed. You cite Anathema and Ulver as examples-no one with two working ears would judge these as metal albums simply because the bands are listed here as a result of putting out metal albums nearly or over 20 years ago (Ulver's case is especially egregious because only two out of 15 full lengths-13.5% of their full length discography-are metal). I think this should be re-thought, for accuracy's sake (example: my poll submission is already skewed because I have Anathema at 5-you're really getting my 1-4 and 6).

Nonetheless, after the results are tallied, I'll post my real top 10 as well as top EPs, honorable mentions, and biggest disappointments. Non-metal albums in 2017 were way more meaningful and impactful than any metal album to me.

Hopefully you get enough submissions to make this worthwhile. It seems pretty slow here thus far.
Obliteration

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:56 am 

I haven't listened to enough non-metal 2017 albums to form a list, but the absolute best album of the year is the Persona 5 soundtrack, no questions asked. Nothing else, even in the metal world, could stand against it.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:08 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
Hopefully you get enough submissions to make this worthwhile. It seems pretty slow here thus far.

So far, it's just the three of us. :|
Hopefully more still come through.

Hare Kristmas
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:18 pm 

Hey yall. I too have not listened to enough new music to form a list.

But since we're on the subject of new non-metal and the nature of this thread precludes discussion of what you're putting your lists, what do you guys think of the song "Soft Weapons" by Artifex Pereo?

I heard it on the radio this summer and even though I didn't exactly like it I still thought it was an interesting song. For starters, large parts of it are in 5/4 which is unusual for a song that gets radio play. But the musicianship also seemed very good and the production was solid.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:19 pm 

I sent a list, be patient, more are coming probably.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:15 am 

Yeah, mine will come later once I've got some time to put it together.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:05 pm 

I sent a list. I didn't listen to much non-metal this year, but my top two records were INSANELY good. Like possible all-time faves with more time to digest them.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:11 pm 

I've got four albums of the five, just a few vying for the last spot. Will get the list in before the year is done though.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:24 pm 

I think I've only heard a little more than five non metal albums from 2017. I'll see about doing it though. Some of them are really, really fucking good and my #1 is my favorite above any metal album this year.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:12 pm 

It's Julien goddamn Baker. No one else matters.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:18 am 

I will definitely send a list as soon as I finalize it, but I do want to state that my unequivocal AOTY (metal or otherwise) is Brutus - Burst.

It's an album of familiar elements yet the execution is utterly original. It's innovative, it's relentless, it never wanes in quality nor fails to deliver from track to track, note to note, beginning to end. I really have to commend the band for their vision and ability to execute it so flawlessly. I haven't heard anything quite like it before, even though in the face of its inventiveness I was instantaneously hooked by the band's sound. As if I were searching for their sound all my life without knowing until I actually found it. And to do all this as a relatively young band on a debut album, transforming from a former Refused-tribute band, is pretty freakin cool. Hats off to Brutus, I eagerly await a long career of more amazing music.

Certainly for fans of Refused, Blood Command, White Lung, post-hardcore, math rock, female fronted punk, with plenty of crossover appeal to metalheads (their use of blastbeats and occasional post-black metal-ish riffs are very organic and anything but a gimmick)

Spoiler: show

https://wearebrutus.bandcamp.com/album/burst

EDIT: Also, I'm debating whether or not to include the new Converge here (since they're not on the archives) but it does feel out of place with the albums I have surrounding it, and would fit much better on my metal year-end list. Anyone else have thoughts on that?

Last edited by ThePoop on Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:21 am 

If something is very likely metal enough to be on the Metal Archives, but it isn't because the band just has a digital demo (a band can only be added if they have at least one physical release of any kind or at least one 30+ minute (i.e. "full-length") digital release), would that release be disqualified?

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:34 am 

ThePoop wrote:
I will definitely send a list as soon as I finalize it, but I do want to state that my unequivocal AOTY (metal or otherwise) is Brutus - Burst.

Man, thank you for this. At a first glance, I thought you might have meant the brutal death metal band, but I read your description and went right away to the Bandcamp page. Two song plays later, and I am ordering the vinyl. The two songs I heard were just unbelievable and I can't wait to spin this when it arrives.

Quote:
EDIT: Also, I'm debating whether or not to include the new Converge here (since they're not on the archives) but it does feel out of place with the albums I have surrounding it, and would fit much better on my metal year-end list. Anyone else have thoughts on that?

By the rules of the OP, Converge should go here. I have them in my top non-metal list, albeit not in the top five. From my perspective, Converge feels more in place with the non-metal stuff I have chosen compared to the narrow scope of the metal stuff I've chosen in the other thread. But, again, that's because metal is much more narrow in scope (to me).

Thanks for the tip on the Brutus.
Obliteration

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:45 pm 

I have to thank ThePoop for continuing to spread the gospel of Brutus. Discovered them a while ago because of him and their debut stands firmly at the top of 2017 for me. Still can't get enough of it. They deserve a lot more exposure.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:23 pm 

theagentcoma wrote:
It's Julien goddamn Baker. No one else matters.

That is a really, really great one.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:39 pm 

Xenophon wrote:
If something is very likely metal enough to be on the Metal Archives, but it isn't because the band just has a digital demo (a band can only be added if they have at least one physical release of any kind or at least one 30+ minute (i.e. "full-length") digital release), would that release be disqualified?

Since I'm trying to stay away from technicalities, I've kept it to "are they on or are they not", so any band not on as of the time you submit your list will count.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:51 pm 

Okay. Thanks for clarifying, jimbies.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:15 pm 

Full Of Hell or Converge will probably win this. lol

Last FM

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:09 am 

heard a couple more candidates recently, the new omar souleyman is a total banger and the Anteros album is the post fall of efrafa project that light bearer should have been

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:10 pm 

Just sent a list in bro.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:47 pm 

A list of the best non-metal albums of any year is basically impossible to make if you aren't allowed albums made by bands which have also made metal in the past (and thus aren't on the archives) because metallers make most of the best non-metal music in addition to the metal. This is because making metal music causes their artistic abilities to increase many times over in infinite ways and these skills are cross-applicable for making non-metal.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:21 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
because metallers make most of the best non-metal music in addition to the metal. This is because making metal music causes their artistic abilities to increase many times over in infinite ways and these skills are cross-applicable for making non-metal.

I don't know how many people are going to agree with you on this, but I know that I'm not one of them. Interesting opinion, however.
Spoiler: show
But I agree that this year, the Bardspec album was one of the better ones.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:31 pm 

Just wanted to give this one last push for the last 10 days.

We've had some people participate, but it's a pretty small showing. Also, most of the album listed were unique to only one user. I guess that was to be expected with this type of "poll" with such a vast area to cover.

amelanchier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:01 am 

My top non-metal albums by non-metal bands (for discussion, already PM'ed top 5):

1. EX EYE / EX EYE

50% brilliant and 25% garbage. But my middle-aged brain craves novelty, and if I can find truly innovative brilliance anywhere, I'll take with whatever chaff comes along. The more brilliant parts could be described as Iron Maiden, Frank Zappa, Tangerine Dream, Sleep, and Burzum put through a blender - a perfect but unexpectable blend of chaos and melody. The garbage consists of annoying ambient noise. https://exeyeband.bandcamp.com/track/op ... n-the-coil

2. DANISH STRING QUARTET / LAST LEAF

My favorite classical release of the year. A mix of traditional Scandinavian folk songs and folk-inspired composed pieces. If this sounds as if it might be your thing, it is. Excellent musicianship and inspired selections. Just watch the video and see if you aren't blown away: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhnZK-NxcQk

3. VÄSEN / BREWED

Nyckelharpa Domination! If you love progressive Scandinavian folk, as I do, then Väsen are your mortal gods. _Brewed_ stands up to _Whirled_ as one of their best IMO. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oww-dXf-6qs

4. TETRAFUSION / DREAMING OF SLEEP

As far as more technical, jazz-influenced metal goes, this was my favorite of the year [note: MA doesn't consider it metal]. It brings in 20th century classical influences as well, with some really exquisite keyboard work in addition to the usual angular riffage. The more "core"-y moments don't appeal to me, but there's more than enough true beauty in here to compensate.

5. WOBBLER / FROM SILENCE TO SOMEWHERE

The best retro prog since the glory days of Anglagard and Anekdoten? I'd say so. Not too much ground-breaking here - bits and pieces recall _Larks' Tongues in Aspic_ or _Aqualung_ or other monumental albums of the genre - but nor is it slavishly derivative, and there are some truly mind-bending moments. It's impossible not to groove to a track like "Fermented Hours" with its appealingly wacked-out time signatures. https://wobbler.bandcamp.com/track/fermented-hours

6. DANIEL CAVANAGH / MONOCHROME

Acclaimed solo album from Anathema guitarist, which I think is a notch better than _The Optimist_, although surprisingly not all that different stylistically. The main band has also gone in a more minimalist direction. I like a lot of the keys/piano work on this. More to dig into before I fully grok this album, & it could rise in this ranking.

7. THE DARK ELEMENT / THE DARK ELEMENT

I didn't care for Anette's work in Nightwish, but then I don't think Nightwish has written many good songs in a long time. This is a really fun, vocal-oriented hard rock album, a bit of a guilty pleasure like Amberian Dawn but there's a place for those.

8. BIG BIG TRAIN / GRIMSPOUND

The early Genesis sound made a lot more symphonic. Plenty of cheese to go around, and this is not as good as the brilliant _Folklore_, but it still has its moments.

9. LACRIMOSA / TESTIMONIUM

An underrated band for prog aficionados, IMO. They continue to do their lush, symphonic, gothic rock/metal with style and, yes, even some originality after all these years. Not at the level of their best albums, but still quite worthy for anyone enjoying lush symphonics in his rock.

10. NOVA COLLECTIVE / THE FURTHER SIDE

Cerebral, instrumental jazz-rock, heavy on the synths. Quite a pleasurable listen if you're into stuff like Scale the Summit, but I don't hear the powerful solos and crescendos of StS's best stuff. Still, worth checking it out if this is your bag.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:46 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
A list of the best non-metal albums of any year is basically impossible to make if you aren't allowed albums made by bands which have also made metal in the past (and thus aren't on the archives) because metallers make most of the best non-metal music in addition to the metal. This is because making metal music causes their artistic abilities to increase many times over in infinite ways and these skills are cross-applicable for making non-metal.

yeah I definitely don't agree with this

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:11 am 

john is always right you fools

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:40 am 

Good point, tomcat.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:16 am 

Why bothering learning any instrument at all if you are not going to play metal? People are insane, no wonder Jazz schools exist :(

New Chelsea Wolfe is fantastic. Even better than the one before, wich was even better than the one before etc. etc.
I've been following her music for long time, and every detail that could have been improved back then was improved...as a fan, it's a joy :)

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:10 pm 

its interesting going back to her very first release...

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:03 pm 

For discussion purposes:

1 - Do Make Say Think - Stubborn Persistent Illusions
Not only the best post rock album of the year, but my favourite non metal album of the year, which says a lot considering post rock is so tired and boring most of the time now. Godspeed's got nothing on this.
2 - (Sandy) Alex G - Rocket
Very enjoyable bedroom indie rock/folk with some nice experimental twists.
3 - Kelela - Take Me Apart
If you love RnB especially alt RnB you will love this. Kelala is like the less weird fka twigs, and she fucking kills it on this album.
4 - The Courtneys - II
Fun, catchy and memorable fuzzy rock record. Reminds me of being a kid.
5 - Big Thief - Capacity
Awesome indie folk with dainty vocals that knows how to tell a story.

Thoughts: not a lot of rap albums that blew me away this year :( Vince Staples is solid as always tho

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:17 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
Thoughts: not a lot of rap albums that blew me away this year :( Vince Staples is solid as always tho

He was at the top of my list.

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:18 pm 

Have to say I'm on the other side of the fence with Vince's new album. Absolutely loved Summertime '06, was one of my 2015 favourites, but this new one just doesn't really do much for me. It's got a few bangers like "Big Fish", "BagBak", and "Party People" and is incredibly well produced, but unfortunately just falls short. I don't remember where I read it but "Vince got swallowed by the beats and fucking drowned" really sums it up, haha. As far as hip hop goes, Big K.R.I.T.'s newest is probably my favourite but I still haven't fully digested it (this thing's like an hour and a half long). Brings together southern hip hop with a lot of jazz and soul motifs in a very cohesive double album. The juxtaposition of the traditional southern bangers and more introspective tracks make for a varied and interesting listen. Milo's Who Told You to Think?! and Open Mike Eagle's Brick Body Kids Still Daydream are worth mentioning as well.

I'll drop my top 5 in here for discussion purposes as well, I suppose. Lost of great stuff this year, was very hard to narrow down.

5. Rope Sect - Personae Ingratae (I think this is technically an EP, but w/e) - This is what Grave Pleasures should have been. With a better production job this sounds like it could have been the follow-up to Climax. Excellent post-punk/deathrock release.

4. Hundredth - RARE - These guys used to be a rather pedestrian Counterparts knock off (who themselves play pretty by the numbers melodic hardcore) but this album is a complete 180. Cold and sleek shoegazey post-punk sort of similar to A Place to Bury Strangers, albeit without the blown out production job. Starting to really get on board with these hardcore/punk bands transitioning to a softer sound. Turnover and Title Fight released a pair of phenomenal albums doing this and Hundredth follows up with a very worthy release of their own.

3. Protomartyr - Relatives in Descent - Some proper post-punk revival here. Gritty instrumentation, fantastic bass lines, very well thought out song structures and a hella good production job. Also, the vocalist reminds me a lot of Nick Cave, which is always a good thing.

2. Fleet Foxes - Crack-up - Much more instrumentally textured and progressive leaning than their previous releases. There's nothing really overtly standout here as the album flows so cohesively, it's like one big track. Honestly, I've heard this upwards of 30 times and I'm still struggling to put into words my feelings for it, it's just so gorgeous and profound. Also, as always, Robin Pecknold's vocals are absolutely wonderful.

1. Converge - The Dusk in Us - I highly doubt this needs any introduction or explanation. Their best since You Fail Me, astonishes me how this band is still writing such fresh material on LP #9.
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:52 pm 

While i like the thing they are going for on RARE, it seems to repetitive to me to truly enjoy the album. I will have to spin it a couple more times though.
I haven't heard that much post-punk from this year but i thought the church of ra band Partisan released a really good EP.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:45 am 

PvtNinjer wrote:

J.I.D.'s The Never Story was pretty fucking dope. That and obviously Kendrick

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:53 pm 

Yeah actually Kendrick's was pretty great. I still haven't checked out the Open Mike Eagle one.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:32 am 

Marilyn Manson's "Heaven Upside Down". :)

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next