Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:41 pm 

Hello all,

I've been dipping my toes into the world of podcasts for about 6 months now and, though I've only found three that I love and am trying to get through every episode, I'm hungry for more. I thought I'd make this thread to see which ones you follow religiously/find super interesting.

Here's mine:

-Hardcore History is just so informative and entertaining. Would suggest it to anyone with an interest in the subject matter.

-Lore seems tailor made for me. Love most of the episodes and how Aaron tackles the subjects from a variety of fascinating angles. They're not all gold though, but that's just the nature of folklore.

-Kurt Vonneguys is the one that started this whole thing for me. Very funny, astute discussion of Kurt Vonnegut's work in chronological order. Great segments and frequently passes the 2+ hour mark. I'm really bummed that there's only one of these a month!

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Musick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:02 pm 

I too am a big fan of Dan Carlin's podcast.

- Jocko Willink is a retired SEAL and speaks on leadership and discipline. The podcast with Peterson is a good starting point.

- Tim Ferris deconstructs world-class performers from eclectic areas (investing, sports, business, art, etc.) and extracts tactics, tools, and routines you can use.

- JRE is hit-and-miss but some of the better guests include Graham Hancock & Randall Carlson, Jordan Peterson and Dr. Rhonda Patrick.

I have had successful trades/sales with:
vegnsanity, DMR, TooHuman, turboeye, minionofkyuss and teuti

Last edited by Musick on Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:08 pm 

Check out Maddox -- he does "The Best Podcast in the Universe". Very funny and intelligent dude who seems to know a bit about metal.
Link

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:55 pm 

I enjoy select episodes of the Cracked podcast, when they talk about pop culture trends or debunking common misconceptions. Other than that, I like the various podcasts done by Wisecrack (namely Respect My Authoritah and The Squanch) as well as the Unspoiled: Harry Potter series.

I've always wanted to give Hardcore History (and other podcasts like it) a whirl.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:17 am 

Musick wrote:
JRE is hit-and-miss but some of the better guests include Graham Hancock & Randall Carlson, Jordan Peterson and Dr. Rhonda Patrick.

What I love about his podcast is that he talks to such a variety of people that you are bound to find episodes to like. For me the best guests are generally comedians like Joey Diaz, Bill Burr, Bert Kreischer, etc, but he has had all kinds of interesting people on the show.

I also like Sam Harris' podcast a lot. He has recently been having a lot of scientists, philosophers and other academics on and he does really well as an interviewer to really dig down deep into the respective topic.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:46 am 

Seconding Hardcore History so hard. Dan Carlin is such an engaging host. I just finished his 6 part WWI series. The whole thing is give or take 24 hours and it was so goddamn good I binged it in half a week. I normally wouldn't be down for a paywall but once I have the money I'll definitely spring for it in this case. There's so many old episodes I'm interested in.

I absolutely love Philosophize This!, it's the show that got me into podcasts. Stephen West is a great host, he manages to take material that would often be considered dry and convoluted and make it accessible and engaging to the layman. He's even pretty goddamn funny at times.

As for others, I listen to The History of Rome every now and again and the tech/internet podcast Reply All can be a bit hit and miss, but their hits are awesome. The I Hate Music podcast by Agalloch's bassist is dope, but he hasn't done much yet. The next one I'm planning to check out is The History of the Twentieth Century. Someone told me it's the best podcast of all time. We'll see.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:09 am 

Filmdrunk Frotcast - intelligent and thoughtful film/pop culture talk mixed with fratboy beer chugging - it rules

The Flophouse - best "bad movie" podcast in the world

Important If True - my favorite podcast, a comedy podcast about technology and doomsday scenarios

My Brother, My Brother, and Me - a comedy advice podcast not for children.

Criminal - strange tales of crime (not always violent, but equally weird)

Last Podcast on the Left - best true crime podcast out there, wild and vulgar and fantastic - if Adult Swim made a podcast about serial killers

Stuff You Should Know - a low key show about things you oughtta know

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:30 pm 

Any Cum Town fans here? That's got to be the best podcast hands down...

Never could get into philosophy, history, or whatever podcasts or anything like that, it's just not the right medium for it from what I've seen, beyond a superficial or topical acquaintance. Unless you have a bad commute of course, then might as well! Comedy is truly the podcast genre, I think.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:02 am 

All of those sound incredible, Frog. I'll peep every one of them.
Philosophize This! Also sounds fantastic, I'll absolutely get on that.

As for whoever mentioned Maddox, I'm good. I'm not a fan of relics from the mid-aughts who try way too hard.

Keep these coming, guys! Really varied stuff so far.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:47 am 

Surprised about a cumtown mention but no chapo mention so far. I enjoy chapo even though I disagree with their politics usually. I think they are pretty funny. JRE has it's shining moments, it's also painfully boring and plain a lot of times. His ep with Jones and Bravo is amazing and insane. I usually like it best when he has comedy buddies on. Carlin's hardcore history is pretty good too, the ghengis khan stuff is great and the WW1 stuff is even better.

re: maddox. havent heard his podcast but i feel like i might like it for nostalgia sake. that being said i really hate the ultra cynical bitter attitude these days. I grew up on that shit and it really fucked with my world view for a while

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:20 pm 

If pro wrestling is in your mileau, then you must listen to The Lapsed Fan. Equal parts historical documentation and absurdist humor, the episodes are lengthy (average of 5 or so hours, some episodes are upwards of 10-11 hours) and chocked with information and hilarity. Each episode focuses on one show or topic and contains extensive contextual research followed by their signature "deep dive" blow-by-blow show analysis. I don't even follow pro wrestling anymore and yet I am addicted to this podcast. Extremely informative and entertaining, and easily the best podcast I've ever heard.

If you enjoy MMA, then I recommend Heavy Hands. Episodes are relatively short (about an hour or so), and the presentation is somewhat dry (devoid of humor), but it is an engaging listen as the hosts break down upcoming major MMA cards with insightful technical fight analysis. I've learned quite a bit listening to these guys and it has enhanced my enjoyment of MMA to a degree.

Also on the topic of MMA, I am hesitantly going to recommend Between Rounds Radio. This is a loosely themed MMA centric "network" that have a handful of shows on that topic (including the excellent Collapsed MMA, which is the MMA equivalent to the above mentioned Lapsed Fan). I say "hesitantly" because while the available content is high quality, this is a paywall-only service and the episode count has slowed down dramatically over the last month or so. I thoroughly enjoyed what they have released but new content is coming at a snail's pace lately (which is not really acceptable for a paywall service).

Finally, for humor, I have to recommended U Talkin' U2 To Me?. Scott Aukerman (Comedy Bang, Bang!, etc.) and Adam Scott's (Parks & Recreation, etc.) U2 themed show. These guys are passionate U2 fans, and the content does contain thorough analysis into U2's catalog, but it is also a downright hysterical show. It's obviously a limited run series, as you can only do so many episodes as U2 has albums, but there are a handful of tangential episodes as well (including a sit down interview with U2 themselves, which comes across as hysterically awkward and fanboy-ish). Really, really funny stuff.
Obliteration

Svarthavid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:00 pm 

Apart from Joe Rogan experience I'd highly recommend Kill Tony, a podcast where stand up comedian Tony Hinchclif and guests of his choice which also are fellow stand up comedians hosts a show at the comedy store where comics that are situated in the crowd have written themselves on a list with a one minute joke they'd like to test in front of professionals in order to get feedback, or tag it or bag it as they call it. these comedians are often amateurs. The guests may vary in funniness, but they often are dead honest and often ends up partially roasting the amateurs at times. this often ends up being a good thing if the selected amateur sucks. All of the episodes are located at the deathsquad.tv website, but iTunes only have the latest few. Highly recommended, and will also check out frogs list BTW!

These names sound like you just made them up lol...I'll tell my kids these were the names of the three wise men.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:53 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
Surprised about a cumtown mention but no chapo mention so far. I enjoy chapo even though I disagree with their politics usually. I think they are pretty funny.

When you say you don't agree with their politics, are you saying that you're not for BOTH justice AND development?

Anyway, the best internet radio show is definitely Radio War Nerd. Has John Dolan and Mark Ames of eXile/NSFWcorp and a good mix of historical content and current events drawing on their journalism background as well. They're better than most war focused guys because they don't obsess over the hardware too much and don't fall into the revisionist trap.

It's pretty hard to talk to history guys about war here in the US because all the people who are interested in it are civil war fanatics and southern apologists/revisionists. I debated an old guy on campus about the civil war a few weeks ago and his mind was blown that I, an actual southerner, wasn't a fan of the confederacy. The best part, he said he was born in Kansas. :durr:

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:34 pm 

Just want to say I checked out My Brother, My Brother, and Me. It's the best podcast of all time.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:52 pm 

only podcast i make a check out immediately is The Nine Club. It's a skateboarding podcast/youtube show and is 10000% recommended to anyone who likes skateboarding. Good mix of people from all different eras. Light, yet super informative and the three co-hosts all have great chemistry.

Shock Waves podcast is cool for discussion of horror movies, and the No Sleep Podcast is pretty good for creepy fictional short stories.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:11 am 

If you're into My Brother, My Brother & Me, you should check out their other podcast where they do a D&D campaign with their dad. It's called Adventure Zone. Not a fan of them personally, but my wife loves them and they've got a big following.

S Town and the first season of Serial are so good. Compelling investigative journalism that left me wanting more.

Can't really go wrong with the big ones already mentioned like Joe Rogan (recommend the one with the scientology guy), Hardcore History, and Lore.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:15 am 

BeholdtheNicktopus wrote:
Any Cum Town fans here? That's got to be the best podcast hands down...

I listened to about 5 minutes of this cum town shit and I think my IQ dropped about 20 points.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:55 pm 

Not much of a podcast listener, but Chapo Trap House is great. The hosts can be dicks though. I also listen to Sean Guillory's podcasts on his blog about Russia, and the few ones that exist on Russia Without BS. Much better than anything by Mark Ames by a mile.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:08 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
PvtNinjer wrote:
Surprised about a cumtown mention but no chapo mention so far. I enjoy chapo even though I disagree with their politics usually. I think they are pretty funny.

When you say you don't agree with their politics, are you saying that you're not for BOTH justice AND development?

Yeah I basically believe that they are incompatible, it's only one or the other. :lol: Nah, I just dont hate capitalism.

edit: their gamesmas special was hilarious

Svarthavid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:45 pm 

'I also gotta recommend another one, an American true crime podcast called Sword and Scale, a podcast which depicts all kinds of terrible people and terrible cases, with clips and recordings from courtrooms, 911 calls, recorded interviews and so on. A lot of extremely unnerving cases that make you questionn how certain people can sleep at night, but I guess that's part of being a psychopath or mentally disturbed in some way or another. Have only heard the first 8 episodes, but I'm completely hooked! Highly recommended!

These names sound like you just made them up lol...I'll tell my kids these were the names of the three wise men.

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:53 pm 

Bodega Boys is the only podcast worth listening to.

DarkStep01
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:51 pm 

I am a wrestling fan so I listen to a good deal of those but my favorites are Jim Cornette, Steve Austin, Jim Ross, Chris Jericho and Bruce Prichard.

Cornette can get irritating with his politics but he's still hilariously entertaining.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:36 am 

Important if True is the best podcast ever made, maybe even one of the best pieces of entertainment ever made, period. Hugely hilarious, it just builds and builds.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:29 am 

I've been watching TJ Kirk's (The Amazing Atheist) new podcast, "Deep Fat Fried". It's actually quite entertaining despite having a stupid name.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:50 am 

I enjoy Sam Harris's Waking Up podcast a great deal. I understand he's a polarizing figure, but I enjoy the eclectic range of topics he covers. Also tends to have fascinating guests, a number of whom I admire (Max Tegmark, Steven Pinker, Rebecca Goldstein....)

I also would really recommend both seasons of the Serial podcast. Both cover a singular true story over the course of many episodes and it gets downright enthralling. I must've blown through the second season in two days. Gave me a whole new perspective on the Bo Bergdahl situation.
https://serialpodcast.org/

Also, I love Duncan Trussell's Family Hour. Fans of JRE are probably aware of it, but he does a great job of being funny, honest, interesting and at times inspiring.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:33 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Important if True is the best podcast ever made, maybe even one of the best pieces of entertainment ever made, period. Hugely hilarious, it just builds and builds.

i cannot stress this enough for the other members of the board. its legitimately one of my favorite things ever created.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Crystal_Logic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:03 pm 

BBC In Our Time is a good history podcast: each episode concentrates on one historical event (Salem Witch Trials, the Gin craze, the publication of The Wealth of Nations are a few I listened to recently) and has the host directing questions at three or four experts to get a general overview of what happened. The experts are usually university lecturers in the relevant area of history. Some are better at speaking and are more engaging than others but they are all extremely knowledgeable.

The subject matter of Last Podcast on the Left is really interesting to me, but I do not like that 'riffing' type of podcast which is generally four frat boys being vulgar over each other. Any podcats which deal with serial killers, crimes and fucked up things without the bullshit? I will check out Sword and Scale.

For wrestling fans, I would add 'Killing the Town' by Lance Storm and Cyrus (Don Callis). They call it a PHD in professional wrestling and it really feels like it.

Warlust666
Some guy who posts sometimes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:58 am 

DarkStep01 wrote:
I am a wrestling fan so I listen to a good deal of those but my favorites are Jim Cornette, Steve Austin, Jim Ross, Chris Jericho and Bruce Prichard.

Cornette can get irritating with his politics but he's still hilariously entertaining.

Couldn't agree more. Really big fan of Austin's podcast but Cornette's podcasts are by far my favourite - never would I have thought I could be so consumed and entertained by listening to someone whinge.

Reply to topic