Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:26 pm 

Yes, hats off to psycho N. for his roller-coasting, at times uproarious Metallica anthology. I wonder if the band will ever actually stumble upon it and take heed (as opposed to throwing a temper tantrum!).

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:38 pm 

Loved TheStormIRide's latest for the new Whipstriker album, esp. this line:

"This is authentic blackened speed metal made for cruising the back alleys after midnight".! (more so those of Vancouver's Downtown Eastside!).

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:53 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Loved TheStormIRide's latest for the new Whipstriker album, esp. this line:

"This is authentic blackened speed metal made for cruising the back alleys after midnight".! (more so those of Vancouver's Downtown Eastside!).

The album fucking rips and you're a mope if you don't move on it ASAP. Whipstriker is one of the, if not the, best band in the black/speed realm these days. US tour coming up too, so don't miss out.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:45 pm 

It'd be nice if Whipstriker swung by Kelowna and tear the town a new one!

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:37 pm 

Firstly, Five_Nail's super atmospheric and transcendent Oak Pantheon review had me expecting a Forest Troll to pop out at any moment;

Secondly, I feel there should be a WOD (Word of the Day) section in the Forum...dig the following humdingers!:

a) Now the album hasn't completely succumbed to the "jumpdafuckup self-hatred" lyrics found in some nu-metal; tracks like "Devil With the King's Card", about the titular man himself convincing out protagonist to join the dark side and BRAGGADOCIOUS tracks like "The Blood, The Sweat, The Tears" and "Desire to Fire". (courtesy of flippyinvader, who just joined the team...

b) But some changes of pace, such as the mostly-spoken 'Kingdom of the Cross' ballad, or the country-rock HOOTENANNY 'Three Sheets to the Wind', may not go over well with all listeners, particularly Saxon purists. (on behalf of Tanuki, a fellow lover of snazzy werds).

Dig it!

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:55 pm 

Thrashfanatic writes, 'First. I'd like to say that James Hetfield is a riff machine! ' ah!!fucking grow up! Most of the riffs on KEA are from Mustaine, who delivers in some sort of variation after forming Megadeth. What a fucking idiot!

It's like one of those deluded, The Last Jedi reviews from RT.

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:08 pm 

Gasmask - the Bach-esque intro on Killing fits with the theme of the song concept; Mustaine knew how to incorporate nuances for build up and atmospheric purposes.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:37 pm 

In regards to the fellow who quoted Hetfield as a riff machine (the latest KEA review), I admit I had to suppress a smirk at first, but maybe he's actually blissfully unaware of all that 1983-4 strife between Metallica and Mustaine...the fact remains, the riffs themselves at the time duly sounded like they were mechanized/mechanixed...

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:30 pm 

Psyche_Dome wrote:
Gasmask - the Bach-esque intro on Killing fits with the theme of the song concept; Mustaine knew how to incorporate nuances for build up and atmospheric purposes.

Haha, we always have something to say after a Megadeth review. I wasn't knocking the piano intro, just thought it was an intriguing bit of trivia and - despite sounding a little out of place on the album - it's a nice way to lead into the main segment of 'Loved to Deth'. I thought I had suggested that Mustaine was the most skilled of the early thrash songwriters, but if it wasn't clear I'll state it now.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:39 pm 

It's certainly too late to weigh in on the whole "30 minute album" debate, but I think it's all about personal preference. I, for example, get bored when an album lets its guard down too often over 50 minutes and would prefer the running time be as tight (according the songs' nature) as possible. Also, I hate to be the most pretentious about this, but isn't it all about "art"? The artist decides how best to present their work, meaning that Power Trip is obviously supposed to hit hard and fast, just like 'Reign in Blood' or the black/speed artists that TheStormIRide loves, though looking at the average score for 'Nightmare Logic' it's clear that it isn't thought of as an entirely successful release on those merits. I had a listen and wasn't enticed to spend any money on it at all, so whether it's $8.99 or $25, the "value for money" isn't right for me. I mean, can you really put a price on quality?

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:36 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Psyche_Dome wrote:

Haha, we always have something to say after a Megadeth review. I wasn't knocking the piano intro, just thought it was an intriguing bit of trivia and - despite sounding a little out of place on the album - it's a nice way to lead into the main segment of 'Loved to Deth'. I thought I had suggested that Mustaine was the most skilled of the early thrash songwriters, but if it wasn't clear I'll state it now.

Gasmask, I like the intro–it has that impending horror vibe about it, thus connecting us to the theme of 'Loved you to Death'. Also, thought your KIMB review was top draw.

Other comments for the thread:

-thought that Flippy's review of Machine Head's Burning Red was way too generous.
-Thrash Fanatic overinflated KEA's score.
-And, Tanuki's running through some of Saxon's discography. I've never liked Saxon, though, I'm interested in reading those reviews because I'm not familiar with most of the discography.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:35 pm 

In response to Psycho_Dome taking an interest in Tanuki's Saxon retrospective, yes do check it out! I was actually shocked they've so many albums,and I can verily say, Tanuki comprehensively (and jocosely) wrapped up their history with a bow (plus, you'll benefit from gleaning a whack load of uproarious words!).

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:31 pm 

Fullmetalraincoat removed his Rust in Peace review to give it an edit, and it's back on, addressing it's critics. It's like round two of nonsense! ... Just back to edit after reading the R.I.P. review, and it's hilarious; he's really going to town on this record, and his detractors.

DemonFeces
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:55 pm 

Based on Tomecki666's review of the latest Brutality, I'll have to check it out and see if Jay Fernandez has the same writing chops as he did for their earlier albums as well as Monstrosity's 'In Dark Purity'. I like the cover art too.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:39 pm 

A very small point regarding Shah's debut and Thrash Fanatic's review - the lyrics are credited to someone called Olga Chayko, not the lead singer.

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:19 am 

What's with ThrashFanatic giving out 100s to every album he's reviewing?

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:47 am 

raspberrysoda wrote:
What's with ThrashFanatic giving out 100s to every album he's reviewing?

Holy crap, now I'm really glad I didn't decide to break my rule and give Blazon Stone an 100.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:50 pm 

Reviewers with the word "thrash" in their name are kind of universally terrible. It's almost an unwritten rule at this point. No, we don't know why it happens. That's just how it is.

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:47 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Reviewers with the word "thrash" in their name are kind of universally terrible. It's almost an unwritten rule at this point. No, we don't know why it happens. That's just how it is.

Roffle_the_Thrashard breaks this rule.
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:27 pm 

Don't know, haven't read his stuff. I'll give it a look see and get back to you on that.

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:49 am 

Woolie's MoP review is a marathon read, and he nailed it! There are so many accurate points made.

ThrashFanatic keeps going all 100%, which just makes his reviews loose credibility before they're even read; he's doing himself a disservice.

Diamhea's Roubdtrip review has as funny line in the last paragraph.

ThrashFanatic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:18 am 

To everyone who is complaining about me giving all my reviews 100%, just know that I mean it when I give these albums perfect scores. I review my favorite albums, and I'm newer so I have fun writing these reviews. There is no need to insult me and complain about the way I write my reviews. After all, it's MY reviews, not anybody else's. I commented on my KEA review that Hetfield is a riff machine and I mean it. I'm not one of those elitists who say that Mustaine is the only good member of Metallica and that everyone else is worthless. Sure, Mustaine wrote lots of stuff on KEA, but Hetfield wrote some riffs too. Mustaine AND Hetfield rule. The whole Metallica and Megadeth argument is getting as stale as breakfast cereal that was left on the table. Just let it go. Besides, Mustaine achieved a great amount of success on his own in Megadeth. I don't know why people complain about my reviews, just read the reviews and enjoy. It's quite simple. No need for hating, trash talk, or elitist attitudes. If I want to give the albums a 100%, then I'll give them that score. That's how it's gonna be. Just let it go.

ThrashFanatic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:24 am 

[quote="Psyche_Dome"]Thrashfanatic writes, 'First. I'd like to say that James Hetfield is a riff machine! ' ah!!fucking grow up! Most of the riffs on KEA are from Mustaine, who delivers in some sort of variation after forming Megadeth. What a fucking idiot!

It's true, Hetfield is a riff machine. That's a fact. Enough of the Metallica VS Megadeth bullshit. If you don't like my reviews, then simply don't read them. You must care about my reviews to some extent that you read through them. If you have nothing good to say, then it's better to say NOTHING at all.

ThrashFanatic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:44 am 

The reason I gave KEA a 100% is because I truly believe it is worthy of a 100%. I've listened to it well over 50 times and I love the album. Why would i just give it a 90%? Tbh, Mustaine's lead guitar playing is extremely sloppy. He just plays fast, he honestly gets old and boring after a while. Josh Christian of Toxik is an example of a master guitar playing. It seems like everybody is just worshiping Mustaine like he is some sort of god. He's good and all, but he doesn't hold a candle to Josh Christian, Ron Jarzombek, or Rich Spillberg. Just because I like Metallica and appreciate their albums and rank KEA a 100% does not make me an idiot. It is called having an opinion. There is no need for arguments.

ThrashFanatic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:57 am 

Psyche_Dome wrote:
Thrashfanatic writes, 'First. I'd like to say that James Hetfield is a riff machine! ' ah!!fucking grow up! Most of the riffs on KEA are from Mustaine, who delivers in some sort of variation after forming Megadeth. What a fucking idiot!

One other thing I'll like to mention. Metallica are the only old thrash band that still makes good albums. Honestly I can't stand the down tuned, modern crap released by Megadeth, Slayer, Kreator, Destruction and others. I honestly only enjoy the old school albums from these bands. Metallica is a good band, I just don't understand why Metallica fans are "fucking idiots" for liking them. I honestly prefer Shah, Aspid, Toxik, Sieges Even, Watchtower, Realm, Gothic Slam, Whiplash, Atrophy, Deathrow, Znowhite, Cyclone Temple and every other underrated thrash and over the newer albums with modern production. We'll have to agree to disagree, just no need for insults. Thank you

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:09 am 

Psyche_Dome wrote:

ThrashFanatic keeps going all 100%, which just makes his reviews loose credibility before they're even read; he's doing himself a disservice.

This guy sucks hard as a reviewer. Just read his new "Infernal Devastation" ramblings (15% this time) and I seriously don't see how this one deserves to be on this page, in terms of review quality.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:13 am 

Xlxlx wrote:

I think it's because they all want to be UltraBoris in a pathetically nebbish, Kylo Ren sort of way.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:52 am 

The MOP review is well written enough but he lost me when he started a track by track five paragraphs in. Also I feel like the "iconoclastic" MOP reviewers are about as basic as the ones praising it to high heaven. At this point, it's hardly an iconoclastic opinion.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:02 pm 

Holy Crap! Woolie Wool's MOP write-up is likely the site's utmost longest! How long is it?! 3000+ werdz maybe!
I'll have to go grab a bag of chips or something in order to dp it! Haha!

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:52 pm 

CannibalCorpse wrote:
Psyche_Dome wrote:

This guy sucks hard as a reviewer. Just read his new "Infernal Devastation" ramblings (15% this time) and I seriously don't see how this one deserves to be on this page, in terms of review quality.

I was just surprised to see 15%... I thought, 'Break out the champagne!'

Last edited by ~Guest 414160 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:53 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Holy Crap! Woolie Wool's MOP write-up is likely the site's utmost longest! How long is it?! 3000+ werdz maybe!
I'll have to go grab a bag of chips or something in order to dp it! Haha!

I'm pretty sure oneyoudontknow has a few longer ones though it's been some time since I read any of his so I could be wrong.

EDIT: His review of Sabazius' The Descent of Man live album is one of those longer reviews. You could argue that it's for an 11 hour release so of course it has the potential to be longer but then again it is a review of a drone metal release so it makes you wonder how long of a review it would be if oneyoudontknow decided to tackle Master of Puppets in the same way.
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

ThrashFanatic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:02 pm 

CannibalCorpse wrote:
Psyche_Dome wrote:

Well Destruction plain suck. They're another overhyped band that writes boring music. Thrash band Viking are better

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:12 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
The MOP review is well written enough but he lost me when he started a track by track five paragraphs in. Also I feel like the "iconoclastic" MOP reviewers are about as basic as the ones praising it to high heaven. At this point, it's hardly an iconoclastic opinion.

Perhaps, but Woolie's write up is still the best negative review for MoP we've had so far.

I do think that it's not necessary for it to be a track by track, but considering into how much detail it goes and how well thought out it is, I don't really mind one way or another. Certainly much better than Boris' annoying, melodramatic "MoP killed thrash" rag.
Woolie_Wool wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

I think it's because they all want to be UltraBoris in a pathetically nebbish, Kylo Ren sort of way.

Maybe, yeah. Certainly doesn't help that I never cared much for Boris in the first place.

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:30 pm 

Ultraboris' MoP review is awesome, apart from the 'Killing thrash' part... There were plenty of bands who didn't add any disassociated nonsense parts to their songs; no dumb Morricone or Bach-esque intros to clunky thrashers or dumb interludes in the middle of songs about substance use and abuse. Metallica didn't kill thrash–they just became a shit flagship for metal. And, the album is at least worth half marks. If anything, it's Rasmussen who deserves all of the accolades, 'cause that album sounded amazing.

Last edited by ~Guest 414160 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:54 pm 

Five_Nails' recent one for Anodyne Mynd has left me in an anodyne loop!

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:14 pm 

Psyche_Dome wrote:
CannibalCorpse wrote:

I was just surprised to see 15%... I thought, 'Break out the champagne!'

What I want to know is who the fuck told him Infernal Overkill was tech-thrash? I have never, EVER heard of any of Destruction's catalog referred to as that. The only thing I've ever heard Infernal Overkill referred to as other than thrash is black metal, from the Norwegian Black Metal collective specifically.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:35 pm 

Troll-senses tingling, especially since he is obviously reading this thread.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:58 pm 

I don't really know how the Destruction one even got accepted. Opinions aside, it talks mostly about what isn't there, rather what is there. And what it does mention, there's no real description, other than how horrible he thinks it is.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:13 pm 

ThrashFanatic wrote:
Well Destruction plain suck. They're another overhyped band that writes boring music.

They never cut it for me either, honestly.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

DemonFeces
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:03 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
ThrashFanatic wrote:
Well Destruction plain suck. They're another overhyped band that writes boring music.

They never cut it for me either, honestly.

'Bestial Invasion' is a good track but that's about it.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327, 328 ... 520  Next