* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:37 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
kusarigama

I haven't played Nioh, but it having this weapon alone makes me want to. I used that thing to death in Ninja Gaiden II; it's such a stupid and ridiculous weapon and I love it.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:46 pm 

There's a fucking sick move with the kusarigama that you get fairly early on where you can hook it around humanoid mobs and drag them closer to you while also pulling them down to the ground. It's ridiculously powerful. For larger Yokai it actually pulls YOU to THEM, which I find infinitely less useful :lol:

It's just a stellar game. If you're looking for Dark Souls with samurai gear on you'll be a bit disappointed. But the combat system and mechanics are by far the best I've ever dealt with. The combat in every other game feels like you're moving in jello by comparison.

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:53 pm 

It sounds super fun, even if it's difficult as shit. Ever since I got into DS3 I've been wanting another game like it.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:34 pm 

Welp. My buddy that I'm crashing with bought Monster Hunter, and I don't work for the next two days, so...

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:37 am 

Jonpo wrote:
What weapons have you been focusing on in Nioh? I think finding something you really love is a huge part of the game. I went in FIRED up regarding dual-swords but I ended up hating the movesets. I always felt out of control.

Now a regular katana, heavily focused on low-stance? That's my bread and butter. It comes alive as you unlock new moves and can customize your combos. I also adore the kusarigama, heavily low/high stance focused. I really don't use mid-stance much at all.

I'm using the axe and a spear and have not went into low-stance yet. I am too thick headed to use the low stance. Who wants to wimp around the game using weak hits? I'm sure I'm 100 % wrong with this mind set. I don't think I'm far enough to unlock new moves? I've done the dojo training that is available. Maybe, I'm doing something wrong there.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:18 am 

Well! That's an interesting approach to the game hahah. I was/am obsessed with the ability to change stances, especially when it gives you a little ki pulse.

It sounds like you're mostly just trying to tank/counter-attack through everything. I have a lot of fun playing the game with speed in mind. Light armor, fast attacks, rapidly zipping around enemies. You unlock "samurai skill" points or whatever the fuck they're called and you spend them under each weapon type to unlock certain moves for that weapon. You might have like...a lot of points to spend.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:07 pm 

I'll keep your light stance in mind next time I play. Maybe, changing up the way I do things will improve my enjoyment of this game.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

CapricornSupernaut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:18 pm 

the Bloodborne talk reminds me... I need to pick that up again. All the Souls games aside from the first Dark Souls I've never gotten that far in. I've enjoyed them a hell of a lot, but never all that far... maybe it's time to just go for it! (and of course Nioh too)

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:21 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
You unlock "samurai skill" points or whatever the fuck they're called and you spend them under each weapon type to unlock certain moves for that weapon. You might have like...a lot of points to spend.

This sort of thing is one of Nioh's drawbacks imo. I don't mind "choose a stat to level up" when you level up a character, but the system this game uses kind of indirectly keeps all but the most conscientious players in the dark. There are imo too many little facets of the character that you get points for and can upgrade in different ways, the end result being you forget half the time you've earned x number of skill point y and you go through half the game without upgrading it. That level of customisation doesn't add to the game for me.

One other thing Nioh seems to be lacking in is the co-op. I've tried to "become a visitor" countless times with such minimal success it's staggering - is there literally no one playing the game? Is it region-locked cause Australia's line to the outside world is basically baked bean tins with string between them? I'm neither over- nor under-levelled for the areas I'm in, and some of those bosses are pretty hard. I haven't tried to summon anyone in myself yet (waiting for ng+) but surely someone out there is pressing the "fuck it" button and summoning for stuff like Umi-Bozu...

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:31 pm 

When you attempt co-op are you doing it through the world-map Torii Gate? I literally get pulled into co-op sessions within 30 seconds, every single time. Even at like 4 am.

It might be a regional thing, like you said. That would SUCK! I really enjoy helping people who are clearly struggling with a boss. It's like you can feel their frustration when they summon you, and then you walk in and just completely beastmode that shit because you've annihilated that boss 15 other times.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:52 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
When you attempt co-op are you doing it through the world-map Torii Gate? I literally get pulled into co-op sessions within 30 seconds, every single time. Even at like 4 am.

No I haven't... I'll give that a shot today after work. It wouldn't surprise me if I'm doing something wrong haha, there are always "but did you think of x?" things going on in these games.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:08 pm 

So here's the deal, as I understand it: If you use the Torii gate with no parameters set, you can get pulled into ANY level you've already beat, as a co-op visitor.

If you're trying to become a visitor through a specific shrine on a specific level, you're effectively cutting down most of your options for co-play. It will still work sometimes, I think, it's just going to be way more rare. Co-op through the Torii gate is super duper fun, especially if you're a dork for gear and leveling like me. You get access to a shit-ton of loot and amrita (if you help them "win") and there is literally no risk other than some "wasted" time if you see it that way. Which I don't.

Essentially I use the co-op feature when I want all the joy of the combat mechanics without any of the risk/tension of actually playing the game :lol:

CoconutBackwards wrote:
I'll keep your light stance in mind next time I play. Maybe, changing up the way I do things will improve my enjoyment of this game.

Hey I didn't mean to sound condescending at all. Here's the main thing I was trying to communicate: Mix it up and see if you have more fun. I personally cannot stand the moveset of the axes. It just feels slow and cumbersome. You might have more fun with something else! Keep a spear on you for some range/crowd control and experiment with something else.

Also, if you want to hustle quick/easy Skill Points to spend on new moves, just use all kinds of different weapons. As you max out your "familiarity" with each they get stronger, and you get Skill Points to unlock new combo moves.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:35 pm 

I didn't take your comment as condescending and I think you're right to try new weapons and mixing things up. I appreciate the feedback.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:08 pm 

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is the greatest game I've played in the past 5 years, easily. They totally knocked it out of the park with this one, and it satisfies a very small niche in a way that few games rarely do.

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:11 pm 

I scored DS3 on PC today for $15 through the humble bundle, and I'm stoked to mod the shit out of it!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:14 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Kingdom Come: Deliverance is the greatest game I've played in the past 5 years, easily. They totally knocked it out of the park with this one, and it satisfies a very small niche in a way that few games rarely do.

Could you go into some detail? I'm extremely curious.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:48 am 

It looks interesting and hardcore jank games are my bread and butter, but the company seems comprised entirely of assholes and I despise CryEngine 3 so I think I'll wait for it to go on sale. The technical issues are concerning, but people also said Elex had massive technical issues when that couldn't have been further from the truth.

It's odd how much it reminds me of Oblivion with mods. I think that's a good thing, since Oblivion with mods is really a pretty great experience.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:57 am 

Looks promising, but also looks like a game that requires massive amounts of time, right? :(

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:05 am 

Jonpo wrote:
So here's the deal, as I understand it: If you use the Torii gate with no parameters set, you can get pulled into ANY level you've already beat, as a co-op visitor.

Yep just found that out this afternoon, haha. Turns out there's lots of co-op to be had there. Cheers for the info though, I was probably never going to find that out otherwise.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:16 am 

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles finally appeared in Injustice 2. I gave 'em a shot yesterday. It's a bit cumbersome to have all of them, which is a tad disheartening, but they're fun to use.

If you want the Turtles to be separate characters, you make a Loadout for each one, and equip a different weapon to each loadout. Equipping the bo automatically makes the loadout Donatello, for instance. They level up together. Unfortunately, you have to get the character to Level 10 in order to have enough Loadouts for all 4 of them. So I only have (made) Leonardo, Donatello, and Raphael so far.

For the most part, they have 90% identical special moves and combos.

One special move, performed the same way for all characters, is different. It's a sweeping uppercut for Leo, an air grab for Don, and a counter for Raphael (not sure for Mike).

Ultimately, they feel like they are mostly separate characters, in the way the 4 cyborgs were for Mortal Kombat X, except it's easier to "select" them all here, as opposed to the button combo needed to get Cyber Sub-Zero.

I sent my son a picture of me playing as them, but then he had to inform me of late work at school, so that pretty much means he won't be playing the game with me this weekend, so until he gets his school work in order, he won't be playing as the Turtles.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:41 am 

I played Bloodborne for hours yesterday. I started all over because I wanted to choose the threaded cane and just approach things fresh. I mostly ran all over the starting area for hours and hours. I'm surprised at how difficult the pistol-parry is. I can do it against certain lower level mobs no problem but holy SHIT did the Cleric Beast wreck me. Kind of frustrating, as I was expecting to run into Gascoigne first, based on what I've seen from other people playing. I tried Cleric Beast a few times, but ultimately ran out of blood vials and couldn't hang.

I warmed up to the game in a big way, and a buddy who was hanging out with me pointed out that I can probably just burn the Cleric Beast to death with some oil/molotovs. What a genius. I was going to painstakingly die over and over until his moveset was committed to memory and I still barely escape with my life. The game has a lot of draw, and it doesn't make me quite as apprehensive about dying since I don't instantly start losing portions of my health. I want to see more though. I know I've only just barely scratched the surface.

(Edit: I think I was wrong about Gascoigne, which is exciting)

Last edited by Jonpo on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:24 pm 

rexxz wrote:

I’m very curious about this, it looks amazing and seems exactly like a sort of game I would spend a lot of time with, but I’m afraid I’m going to find it to be Ultimate Skyrim Mod...I’m definitely gonna give it a go though, as you have great taste in games and your endorsement has me excited.

Either way, I’m gonna go out and buy a copy of Nioh today and start that shit.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:27 pm 

Are you grabbing Nioh for PC or PS4? If you're on a PS4 you might want to check through the Playstation Store. I got it on sale.

I've watched probably an hour of Kingdom Come: Deliverance on Twitch, spread across 4-5 different streamers and I still don't understand what the appeal of the game is. The main character looks like a vacuous bumpkin. The most interesting thing I've seen anyone do was get into a fist fight over a dog. The rest of it was either dialogue or Morrowind-style aimlessness. I really want to understand what people are loving about this game.

I will say the world map is gorgeous.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:35 pm 

rexxz wrote:

I watched someone stream this game on Twitch last night and it looked like a total bug fest, poor voice acting and the animations were quite sub par imo.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:05 pm 

For me this is a "wait until they patch it" game. Which is no different from almost every other open-world RPG.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:14 pm 

Aside from Oblivion. I wouldn't have played that game for that long if i wasn't for the high level of wtf-ckery and broken-ness that permeates it's very own core.

Seeing Pork Chop mercilessly slaying my supposed final arena opponents is still one of the best experiences i had in gaming :lol:

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:12 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
rexxz wrote:

I watched someone stream this game on Twitch last night and it looked like a total bug fest, poor voice acting and the animations were quite sub par imo.

I'm playing it right now, and there's been absolutely 0 bugs that I've encountered, and the animations are just fine. Better than Bethesda games and that doesn't stop them from selling like they're going out of style. The voice acting isn't the best but it's definitely not poor. But those two items aren't even the draw of the game, so if you're not going to give it a chance based on that alone, it probably isn't for you anyway.

failsafeman wrote:
For me this is a "wait until they patch it" game. Which is no different from almost every other open-world RPG.

It came with a Day 1 patch.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:18 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I've watched probably an hour of Kingdom Come: Deliverance on Twitch, spread across 4-5 different streamers and I still don't understand what the appeal of the game is. The main character looks like a vacuous bumpkin. The most interesting thing I've seen anyone do was get into a fist fight over a dog. The rest of it was either dialogue or Morrowind-style aimlessness. I really want to understand what people are loving about this game.

I will say the world map is gorgeous.

If you're not into super hardcore RPGs or historical medieval video games (of which there are very few), then you probably won't see the appeal of it. For people like me, who are heavily into both of those things, it's a godsend. As I said before, it satisfies a very small niche in a way that precious few games do. I can't think of any other in recent memory that has as narrow of a target for its demographic that simultaneously is the biggest and baddest project in both scope and delivery, for the genre.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:26 pm 

So is most of the fun in how detailed and historically accurate it is? I'm really not trying to shit on the game at all, I understand I'm not the target audience. I'm just trying to figure out what you DO in the game that translates to a good time in your brain.

I saw people stealing food, "reading" books, an occasional fist fight...it looked like Elder Scrolls with a "realistic" makeover to me. I'm just curious what you get up to in the game that makes it so satisfying and necessary.

edit: There seems to be an ultra-linear narrative built into this thing since everyone is playing as the same guy.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:29 pm 

No, if you strip away all of the setting and everything else, purely on mechanics it's an extremely satisfying game. Their swordplay system is unique and engaging, and as I said, it's a super hardcore RPG with everything you expect from a game like that. And everyone is playing the same guy because that's who you play as. It's not some kind of sandbox, Elder Scrolls type of game.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:02 pm 

Got it. Thanks for some detail. Just trying to wrap my head around the appeal.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:25 pm 

rexxz wrote:

The game looks amazing, but I'm hesitant because of the save system. I hate the idea of not being able to save whenever I want to, lest I pay in game currency for it.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:29 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I played Bloodborne for hours yesterday. I started all over because I wanted to choose the threaded cane and just approach things fresh. I mostly ran all over the starting area for hours and hours. I'm surprised at how difficult the pistol-parry is. I can do it against certain lower level mobs no problem but holy SHIT did the Cleric Beast wreck me. Kind of frustrating, as I was expecting to run into Gascoigne first, based on what I've seen from other people playing. I tried Cleric Beast a few times, but ultimately ran out of blood vials and couldn't hang.

I warmed up to the game in a big way, and a buddy who was hanging out with me pointed out that I can probably just burn the Cleric Beast to death with some oil/molotovs. What a genius. I was going to painstakingly die over and over until his moveset was committed to memory and I still barely escape with my life. The game has a lot of draw, and it doesn't make me quite as apprehensive about dying since I don't instantly start losing portions of my health. I want to see more though. I know I've only just barely scratched the surface.

(Edit: I think I was wrong about Gascoigne, which is exciting)

Spoiler: show
Yeah all beasts are weak to fire in Bloodborne - I'm not sure how Cleric Beast reacts but some beasts will actively shy away from it etc, leaving you free to whack away at them. The other thing is that Cleric Beast CAN be parried but you have to shoot it directly in the head (as opposed to just getting the timing right). Parrying was one of those things I put in the "nah, can't be bothered learning that" basket for my NG run, which I didn't realise made the game a LOT harder. One of the next bosses might as well be a parrying tutorial, and it's a great technique against a lot of later bosses & enemies. Cleric Beast is optional anyway - I've played through the game countless times now and a few runs I've left it until almost last, just to see how it fares against me once I'm all leveled up (it fares badly).

Overall I rate BB higher than the other Souls games. Might just be because that was the first one I played, but the gloomy dark Victorian-style atmosphere of the game is just incredible, the faster combat mechanics are so much more fun (although DS3 did well with that too), co-op was easier and didn't use consumable items at a rate of knots, and I've replayed it so much more.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:55 pm 

@Turner

Spoiler: show
Appreciated! I am not pleased to hear that he's optional though. I must have clearly missed something, path-wise. I do love the "Fashion/Setting" aspect of Bloodborne. I've only played DS2 (SOTFS edition) and seriously like an hour of DS3. So I don't have a ton of comparative experience. One thing that struck me immediately when I fired up DS3 was how much the art direction seemed to borrow from Bloodborne. It just has an extra layer of "evil" all over everything that wasn't present in Drangleic.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:07 pm 

stickyshooZ wrote:
rexxz wrote:

The game looks amazing, but I'm hesitant because of the save system. I hate the idea of not being able to save whenever I want to, lest I pay in game currency for it.

True, that's a minor gripe for me. You can save whenever you sleep in a bed and autosaves are plenty. Also, very early in the game you can craft the Saviour Schnapps which literally just let you save any time you want. It's a hardcore RPG, and if you're familiar with stuff like survival mode on Fallout 4 (just to bring up the most modern incarnation) then you'll know what to expect. They do the same exact thing. Overall, I can't say that this function of the save system has impacted my enjoyment in the least.

Jonpo wrote:
Got it. Thanks for some detail. Just trying to wrap my head around the appeal.

The appeal, for me, is that until now, there has never been a game quite like it. If you want to immerse yourself completely in that world, in that specific place in time and to get a good sense of what it was like to live the life of a commoner-turned-soldier in a war torn medieval European country, then you'll love it. The hardcore RPG aspects reinforce the hardcore nature of life that these people went through. It's not a fancy fantasy game, it's gritty and life sucks. That being said, it is still rather fun as the mechanics aren't a slog of repetitive bullshit. Yes, you have to worry about things like hunger and exhaustion, but again, if that kind of hardcore gameplay isn't your thing then it probably isn't the game for you.

I like that the developers researched and worked with HEMA scholars and practitioners to get the martial aspects of their game as accurate as possible. SCA nerds rejoice.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:06 pm 

@Jonpo: good call, it was $10 cheaper from PS+. Downloading now!

rexxz wrote:
If you want to immerse yourself completely in that world, in that specific place in time and to get a good sense of what it was like to live the life of a commoner-turned-soldier in a war torn medieval European country, then you'll love it. The hardcore RPG aspects reinforce the hardcore nature of life that these people went through. It's not a fancy fantasy game, it's gritty and life sucks. That being said, it is still rather fun as the mechanics aren't a slog of repetitive bullshit. Yes, you have to worry about things like hunger and exhaustion, but again, if that kind of hardcore gameplay isn't your thing then it probably isn't the game for you.

I like that the developers researched and worked with HEMA scholars and practitioners to get the martial aspects of their game as accurate as possible. SCA nerds rejoice.

And this has me even more interested...

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:44 pm 

Well, just downloaded Dark Souls III, being someone with over 190 hours on DS2 SotFS, any tips on what's different in this Souls game compared to DS2?

CapricornSupernaut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:39 pm 

I went and grabbed Nioh today (along with Lords of the Fallen, which I personally kinda like!) for cheap, and my lord it's baller. Primarily doing low-stance and mid-stance for katana and a tiny bit of kusarigama, but not a whole lot - thinking of swapping that out for dual swords, even if the moveset is really cool.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:37 am 

Literally everyone (except rexxz) I've seen have experienced tons of bugs in Kingdom Come. Might want to watch for a patch.

(Personally I won't ever give a cent to that alt-right POS dev, but you do you.)
CapricornSupernaut wrote:
I went and grabbed Nioh today (along with Lords of the Fallen, which I personally kinda like!) for cheap, and my lord it's baller. Primarily doing low-stance and mid-stance for katana and a tiny bit of kusarigama, but not a whole lot - thinking of swapping that out for dual swords, even if the moveset is really cool.

:thumbsup:

Have fun!

Thexhumed wrote:
Well, just downloaded Dark Souls III, being someone with over 190 hours on DS2 SotFS, any tips on what's different in this Souls game compared to DS2?

:thumbsup: Let's see...
- Movement speed is a lot faster. Similar to Demon's Souls.
- Poise is pretty much gone. Don't count on it. You can't facetank anymore (I think this is a good thing, screw the haters, #fuckpoise)
- Powerstancing is gone, unfortunately, but there's a thing called "weapon arts", which are specific moves unique to specific weapons or weapon types, and so you can find a form of dual wielding through "paired" types of weapons.
- Offensive magic is mega-nerfed (compared to past games) until you reach very high levels, so early-game it sucks.
- Strength builds are slightly nerfed compared to past games. Probably due to the lack of poise.
- The game is overall more linear than previous entries, especially the beginning.
- "Bleed" is actually really good this time! Bleed-oriented builds and buffs are very effective even against many bosses.
- Luck is back as a stat, and it's useful for bleed builds but not really otherwise. Avoid it unless you know what you're doing.

Have fun too! Best games of 2016 and 2017. :nods:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:52 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Literally everyone (except rexxz) I've seen have experienced tons of bugs in Kingdom Come. Might want to watch for a patch.

(Personally I won't ever give a cent to that alt-right POS dev, but you do you.)

Thank you for making me aware of this. The latter part in particular.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 841, 842, 843, 844, 845, 846, 847 ... 940  Next