Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:59 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Scribe status is when the mods find a reviewer is consistently persevering and sound , meaning they've a strong string of consistent, quality write-ups - I'd guess, once you go for an extended period of time without a rejected review, they hold a consensus and decide you've earned your badges, or in other words, are ready to ride without the training wheels (having to be approved by a moderator so to speak).
Keep up the good work, man - at this rate, I'm confidant you'll attain it eventually!

I think one or two mods might see to it that doesn't happen, particularly with that underlined bit with certain reviews. :lol: Not that I care, I write this cos I think I have things to say about certain albums. I don't even give a shit about points awarded.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:05 am 

The important thing is to just keep plowing ahead, and fun while doing it!

(On a somewhat related note, this Sacred Leather might even struggle attaining the 60% mark as only a couple tracks truly rock...the frightfully stiff ballad in the middle certainly doesn't help matters!)...

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:05 am 

[groan!] the bad news is I have to amend the opening sentence of my recent Wolftooth(some) review by finding an actual "exciting" doom/heavy metal band to slip in as like-minded accompaniment seeing as this Sacred Leather (which I unassumingly featured) is - sorry to say - merda! Weak stuff indeed but the good news in any case is I've found my next thumbs down review fodder in the Indianapolis cock-rock/metal venture...Therefore, does any one have suggestions for a rad up and coming Indiana doom band (makes me think of Indiana Jones, combined with doom) I can do a switcharoo with? Also, I'm wondering if it's bad form to list Wretch as "an exciting Indiana doom metal venture" considering their initial material thus far is dedicated to the memory of deceased friends/fellow musicians...Any help is appreciated!

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:02 pm 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
I really want to make a concerted effort to flush out albums which warrant 60 to 70, a rather pernicious bracket for me...also, looking back, I've only 4 reviews or so beneath 50%, but like you say, Trooper Ed, life is too short! Even with a rather crappy release, it's honourable to root out the good aspects, however few they may be...as well, I always put myself in the band I'm reviewing's shoes...it must not be very amusing to read negative feedback about something you put a lot of work in...hence the gracious/graceful-ness of it all.

Really, you don't need to search for albums that you would rate lower: I mean, you wouldn't listen to music that's mediocre on purpose. The reason why I get some poorer efforts reviewed on here is because I write up almost every album that I own and a few that I don't physically possess. Of course, there are some that are disappointing or just musically lacking, but I'm not really searching for them.

On the other hand, if you do like everything you listen to, that's not a problem, but you should take it into account when you're giving a score. Maybe your 50% can be "an album that I like a little bit" instead of "a poor album", since that would give you a bigger range. Unless the album scores 20% or less, there's surely something positive you can mention, while sometimes it's also possible to give advice or comments about what you'd like to hear, so that the band can improve in the future. In fact, the lowest score I've given on here (7% for a Corpsebitch release) isn't a totally negative review, since it points out what I think the band were trying to do but that I don't want to listen to it.

But you are right: if your scores are always around a similar mark, they start to lose significance. For instance, CHAIRTHROWER, when you rate under 75%, I assume that you didn't really click with that release.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:53 pm 

Haha, good way to put it! Point taken...

In any case, my next 5 reviews will rate below 75% (if I fail to do so, you can take my toy away!), a couple definitely below 70%.
You're right. those below such score(s) don't particular salt my sirloin but still all have their moments, even the poor Sacred Leather I've been going off about of late,,,Bear in mind I intend to write these up in a politically correct i.e. respectful manner.
Seeing as the Sacred Lather is only officially released on Friday, tomorrow I'll likely hit up some Fuzz Lord, which hails from Chillicoethe, OH (rhymes with coffee). [disciplined emoj]

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:31 am 

Not sure if Apostle of Solitude is necessarily up and coming since they've been around for a little over a decade but they're my favorite Indy doom band if you've not heard them before. Their newest album is coming out this Friday. Astral Mass is also pretty cool if you like the Fu Manchu side of things.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:02 am 

Thanks for the suggestion! Duly noted!

I'll go rectify this right now...

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:23 am 

It's painfully shit when the Flippyinvader gives Machine Head's, The Burning Red, an 80%, then shits all over Megadeth's Dystopia. And, another one who's decided to go with that women's SJW mentality over 'The Threat is Real'. It's not about immigration; there's no xenophobia! They've miusinterpreted to suit their own political ideology, or just read a poor review by someone with the same SJW outlook. Poor reviewing, in fact.

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:32 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Not sure if Apostle of Solitude is necessarily up and coming since they've been around for a little over a decade but they're my favorite Indy doom band if you've not heard them before. Their newest album is coming out this Friday. Astral Mass is also pretty cool if you like the Fu Manchu side of things.

Yeah, a really good band on all counts, Apostle of Solitude, especially after the more compact and more tightly executed "Of Woe and Wounds" where they really pulled it off. This new opus flows in a more leisurely manner, though, more of a return to their mournful, also more sprawling elegiac style from their earlier instalments. Not a bad album by any means, but it's really slow-burning, patiently-woven stuff.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:31 am 

Special thanks to Lord Vexus for posting the lyrics to Sacred Leather's Ultimate Force as I really struggled with quoting the opening verse to "Power Thrust"...it's a great example of what you'd call "an auditory hallucination"! In any case, I made the appropriate correction.

As well, does this sentence make sense, really? (I might have bitten off more than I can chew!):

" Suffice to say, had the band wisely bowdlerized the inept ballad sitting at the fourth spot in the rotation and solely heralded this captivating finale as its token “epic”, I’d have surely rated Ultimate Force higher."

The actual definition is as follows: "remove material that is considered improper or offensive from (a text or account), especially with the result that it becomes weaker or less effective.".

Thus, said material ("Dream Searcher") is indeed offensive and should have been, without a doubt, omitted YET the album would only be much stronger, not weaker without it...Should I re-phrase it as such?: "The band could have easily dropped the inept ballad...[...]...without bowdlerizing the its content."

Part of me just wants to leave it as is, but I'm not too sure...

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:19 pm 

I really liked Gornot's review of Dimmu Borgir's Interdimensional Summit. It's really passionate and entertaining to read without forgetting to give some references and actual reasons for the reviewer's negative perception of this release. Good job!

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:57 am 

I personally find Face_your_fear_79's reviews to be extremely dull and boring. He has not written very many, but he has chosen to cover only the entry-level mainstream albums. Most of the time his reviews simply reflect the popular opinion on that album and provide very little insight. He even does the thing where he starts his Black Sabbath reviews with a history lesson on the band, as if everybody doesn't know about it already.

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:35 pm 

Just out of curiosity: if I attended a concert at which a live album was recorded, can I review that album based on the musical experience at the concert?

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:57 pm 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:
Just out of curiosity: if I attended a concert at which a live album was recorded, can I review that album based on the musical experience at the concert?

I don't really review live albums but I think it'd be pretty cool to do, if only to compare and contrast the way your experience went with how the final product turned out. Live reviews seem to be more about the performance rather than the actual material so it leaves more room for individual anecdotes and such.

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:28 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
EzraBlumenfeld wrote:

I don't really review live albums but I think it'd be pretty cool to do, if only to compare and contrast the way your experience went with how the final product turned out. Live reviews seem to be more about the performance rather than the actual material so it leaves more room for individual anecdotes and such.

And, sometimes there's a CD/ DVD format, or both; both formats can create a different experience.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:05 pm 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:
I personally find Face_your_fear_79's reviews to be extremely dull and boring. He has not written very many, but he has chosen to cover only the entry-level mainstream albums. Most of the time his reviews simply reflect the popular opinion on that album and provide very little insight. He even does the thing where he starts his Black Sabbath reviews with a history lesson on the band, as if everybody doesn't know about it already.

I'm not defending the guy (I don't think I've read one of his reviews), but I remember being told by mods to not worry so much about what has been said already, to pretend that a reader is coming to you first and has no previous context of the album. So history lessons are a bit of a necessary evil.

Psyche_Dome wrote:
And, sometimes there's a CD/ DVD format, or both; both formats can create a different experience.

I'm wondering when Blind Guardian is going to put out the DVD version of Live Beyond The Spheres they said they were going to make, they were clearly filming the shows as the music videos indicate, and I know I was at one of the shows. I never heard the city's name called out on the live album so I have no clue.

UnholyCrusada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:20 pm 

Unfortunately, the initial press release for Live Beyond the Spheres stated that it was made up only of recordings from Europe in 2015. So if you saw them in the US (as I did too), your concert didn't make the cut. It's a real shame, since Hansi said they were recording the one I went to as well.

And I think there's value to putting in an opening blurb regarding the history of a suitably historically-important album, provided it's accurate and well-enough researched.

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:49 am 

No idea who Blind Guardian were - I'm checking them out.

GrizzlyButt hits back at Allmusic with a review of Avenger's Blood Sports.

I thought that bayern's review of Sound of White Noise [Anthrax] was pretty measured, although, I still think it's a 60-70%, at best.

And, Ezra's delivered a very sincere sounding review of Metallica, Live at Minneapolis.... I saw them in '93 and '96, so at the latter show we got a hefty dose of Load, and I'm probably in the majority when I say, we didn't want to hear any Load.

Agreed with most of TrooperEd's MoP review, although, I disagree over the title songs mid section; that's completely disassociated. Imagine–you've playing 'MoP' and had a few x2 vodkas, followed by 6 large bottles of Stella [showing my classiness], then half way through a song about shoving gear up your nose, while shoving gear up my nose, there's this soft interlude. What is this–am I meant to self reflect? I just want to air guitar and headbang. I think the real explanation for that interlude is that it's just there for no other reason than to try and emulate what came before i.e. 'RTL'

bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:51 am 

Psyche_Dome wrote:
No idea who Blind Guardian were - I'm checking them out.

I thought that bayern's review of Sound of White Noise [Anthrax] was pretty measured, although, I still think it's a 60-70%, at best.

Man, are you serious about Blind Guardian? The German Tolkien/Lord of the Rings minstrels...

Well, I like this album quite a bit, to be honest; listened to it again the other day, from beginning to end at that. I still fail to come across any glaring flaws except that it's not "Persistence of Time"- ha ha! But then no one out there was expecting a similar feat, that wasn't humanly possible; so...

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:35 am 

bayern wrote:
Man, are you serious about Blind Guardian? The German Tolkien/Lord of the Rings minstrels...

Well, I like this album quite a bit, to be honest; listened to it again the other day, from beginning to end at that. I still fail to come across any glaring flaws except that it's not "Persistence of Time"- ha ha! But then no one out there was expecting a similar feat, that wasn't humanly possible; so...

Ja! - serious

Looking back now, SOWN is pretty decent, especially compared to Stomp and the one after that, or compared to Metallica's Load. I think that it might get better credit if it was just a one-off change in direction, but they kept going in the wrong direction, and it can harm the one decent album within that particular era.

Also read the Testament, Low review - Testament; they never really convince me.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:51 am 

Psyche_Dome wrote:
Agreed with most of TrooperEd's MoP review, although, I disagree over the title songs mid section; that's completely disassociated. Imagine–you've playing 'MoP' and had a few x2 vodkas, followed by 6 large bottles of Stella [showing my classiness], then half way through a song about shoving gear up your nose, while shoving gear up my nose, there's this soft interlude. What is this–am I meant to self reflect? I just want to air guitar and headbang. I think the real explanation for that interlude is that it's just there for no other reason than to try and emulate what came before i.e. 'RTL'

Except the song Ride The Lightning didn't have a soft interlude. And I understand your line of logic, but I still love that part anyway.

Good luck on your Blind Guardian travels. I'd start with Somewhere Far Beyond or Imaginations From The Other Side (or At The Edge of Time if you're feeling spicy).

~Guest 414160
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:16 am 

TrooperEd wrote:
Except the song Ride The Lightning didn't have a soft interlude. And I understand your line of logic, but I still love that part anyway.

Good luck on your Blind Guardian travels. I'd start with Somewhere Far Beyond or Imaginations From The Other Side (or At The Edge of Time if you're feeling spicy).

I think I was thinking in general terms–where, on 'RTL', there's the spider riff, into the descending power chord, back to the spider riff, then that entire melodic section, 'till you reach the big solo part. That's all pretty epic and great song craft from Metallica. [my laymen understanding]

Smashing! I like the sound of these Anglophile, Tolkien enthusiasts. If I like these, do I work backwards through the discog?

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:42 am 

I mean you certainly can. It's not the worst idea, if you start with Battalions of Fear, you'll think it's fine speed metal but you'll wonder what the fuss is about/Running Wild did it better. If you do work backwards from Imaginations you'll actually see the de-evolution of the band, seeing the brilliant flourishes that made them grow and mature disappear and be replaced with raw speed metal. It sounds great from a hesher standpoint but it really isn't.

This is the order I would go in. Imaginations > Somewhere Far Beyond > At The Edge of Time > Tales From The Twilight World > Nightfall In Middle Earth > Beyond The Red Mirror > Battalions > Follow The Blind.

I don't have Night At The Opera or Twist In The Wind so I can't really comment.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:55 pm 

Psyche_Dome wrote:
And, Ezra's delivered a very sincere sounding review of Metallica, Live at Minneapolis.... I saw them in '93 and '96, so at the latter show we got a hefty dose of Load, and I'm probably in the majority when I say, we didn't want to hear any Load.

Nobody wants to hear any Load

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:31 pm 

TrooperEd wrote:

:durr:
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:59 pm 

Absolutely thrilled Silicon Messiah just wrote up NovaReign and Thaurorod's latest! (back-flippin', foaming at the mouth emoj!)

Kudos as well to Hells_Unicorn for touching up Sonic Prophecy's Savage Gods...he duly nailed it!

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:12 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
TrooperEd wrote:

:durr:

I'm working on it.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:17 pm 

TrooperEd wrote:
I'm working on it.

:durr: :durr:
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:29 pm 

TrooperEd, the album is called A Twist in the Myth not A Twist in the Wind...

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:37 pm 

Oops. :lol:

Diamhea wrote:
TrooperEd wrote:
I'm working on it.

:durr: :durr:

If this is about me not owning the album, calm ya boobies, I don't have one of them trees that grows money.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:31 pm 

TrooperEd, I like your review on Vol. 4, but I must say that "A Bit of Finger / Sleeping Village / Warning" is the best thing to ever happen to metal. So there I disagree with you :D

Last edited by EzraBlumenfeld on Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:24 pm 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:
TrooperEd, I like your review on <i>Vol. 4</i>, but I must say that "A Bit of Finger / Sleeping Village / Warning" is the best thing to ever happen to metal. So there I disagree with you :D

I don't think it's complete trash, I can just see how some people would hate it.

ThrashFanatic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:43 pm 

Hey guys, I just wrote a review for Coven 6669's "Blessed Is The Black" and it is currently pending approval. If it gets approved, then feel free to give me feedback on it. I tried improving my formula this time around, and I read over it a few times. Let me know on how I can approve if there is anything I missed. Thanks guys!

PorcupineOfDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:23 pm 

Props to Xyrth for his Mirror Reaper review, very well written and made for a good read even if he isn't quite as fond of the album as I am

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:48 pm 

ThrashFanatic wrote:
Hey guys, I just wrote a review for Coven 6669's "Blessed Is The Black" and it is currently pending approval. If it gets approved, then feel free to give me feedback on it. I tried improving my formula this time around, and I read over it a few times. Let me know on how I can approve if there is anything I missed. Thanks guys!

I'm putting my criticism in the Review Feedback Workshop. This needs to go there rather than stick to this thread. See you there.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:35 am 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:
TrooperEd, I like your review on <i>Vol. 4</i>, but I must say that "A Bit of Finger / Sleeping Village / Warning" is the best thing to ever happen to metal. So there I disagree with you :D

The extended jam in Warning is probably my all time favorite Iommi solo. I also love Solitude. I agree with Trooper about FX though.

As for the rest of the review, I'm disappointed that Trooper (rightly) singled out Wheels of Confusion, but didn't at all mention the long outro (often called The Straightener). That bit is one of Sabbath's all time finest moments.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:15 am 

Because of the mods anti track by track stance I only use what I feel is absolutely necessary with song descriptions, but you are correct, that part is amazing.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:32 am 

Don't you hate it when in your review, you feel compelled to somehow mention/reference every single track, especially when you notice you've already alluded to say, 6 or 7 out of 8?! I admire reviewers who can write 2,3,4 full paragraphs before even mentioning a particular track,,,although, not mentioning any at all (as in, a strict "the album as a whole only" outline) can be pretty dry!

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:21 pm 

TrooperEd raises a pretty brilliant point about Volume 4 in the opening paragraph: Everybody loves to talk about how Sabbath's debut is a brilliant album inspired by the horrid conditions in Birmingham but nobody talks about Volume 4 is basically a rock star album composed by four guys who were just laying around snorting coke in a mansion all day. Sure everybody loves the party stories from the era but nobody mentions how that setting affected their writing. Brilliant album either way and a solid review.

Also Spirit Division's upcoming album may have a cover of Solitude with a slightly heavier arrangement. I'd be quite curious to see what you'd think of it considering how much you despise the original.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:44 pm 

Really enjoyed Bayern's review of Meduza's Now Or Never, he really did an excellent job of fleshing out the parallels in the guitar work with Impellitteri and Malmsteen, not to mention continuing his ongoing massive streak of solid reviews for obscure, mostly untouched albums. :thumbsup:
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 327, 328, 329, 330, 331, 332, 333 ... 520  Next