Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:38 am 

With Inquisition, it sounds good because they know how to sync it up with suitably intense/atmospheric music. Here, the weird frog-croak vocals are done like a regular rock band would do vocals, so it sounds horrendous.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:12 am 

I'm quite confused as to who still listens to stuff like this and for what reasons? It seems like some awful relic from the turn of the century.

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:14 am 

new song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ws18_MZ-lw
not sure what it is

thelongwalk666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:43 am 

First impression: The intro was quite boring, as usual, but from 3 minutes in there is an atmospheric part that actually sounds good for a change. The choir is less anoying this time, and should be used sparsely. The song structure is still a bit all over the place and lacks focus, just like the last song, but it does sound better overall and less embarrassing. Lets hope the rest of the album is more like the atmospheric part of the song.

CradleOfBurzum
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:42 am 

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:39 am 

All my thoughts go to the family and friends. May they find the strength to cope with such difficult times.

On a serious note: cannot believe this guys once released Enthroned Darkness Triumphant. What a waste of bandwidth, server space, and time.

DividerOfShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:27 pm 

I may be going out on a limb here, but I liked this one more than I did Interdimensional Summit. The song at least in one part of itself tries to be black metal.

And I'm still hoping for Katy Perry to do another Christian album.

My Last.fm

HideYourHole
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:24 pm 

First half sounds like a really shitty Carach Angren ripoff.

LordEuronymous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:51 am 

Tbh I like the new single, it actually sounds like a black metal song to me.

SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:55 pm 

I'm completely perplexed by "Council Of Wolves And Snakes."

Certain parts of it reminds me of Naglfar (of all things). I don't hate it, I definitely don't love it, I'm just sort of confused by what it is trying to be. It's all over the place.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:35 am 

I quite liked it. The slow and atmospheric bits and the faster termolo riff. The choir sounded way better here, much better in the first single where it sounded like a Nightwish song at times :) I will definitely check the album out.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:24 am 

I couldn't even finish the damn thing. So boring.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:41 am 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:37 pm 

Even though I think this band has completely rusted out, this new song is a little more interesting than the previous one, at least it contains good ideas plus it kind of suits the mood of the video. Nothing to be excited about though.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:01 am 

I liked the first single but the new one is just plain weird... sounds like Igorrr to me. I actually like Igorrr but Dimmu Borgir's take on it sounds like a weak copy at best.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:56 am 

First single was Nightwish with Shagrath on vocals, totally forgettable.

New one...that´s confussing. That riff was actually good and the heaviest part is decent, the rest is a band trying to make something new but it sounds like a weird experiment. First 2-3 minuts are boring as hell though.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:13 am 

Confirmed: the album's going to be a massive pile of experimental weirdness with 15 minutes of black metal.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:17 am 

I predict the record getting 20 reviews with an average around 40% and plenty of butthurt references to Illud Divinum Insanus.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

~Guest 343918
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:03 am 

Sunglasses in the candlelight with dramatic video effects, and everybody's impressed, right?

The new song actually has decent bits, but the intro guitar effect is fucking annoying and the choir should be kicked out. Listening to the new album will probably be like rummaging through garbage for quarters, and somehow I can't see myself not doing it. Well, at least I'll get a quarter or two...

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:35 am 

That...was actually awesome.

This is probably the best and most inspired thing I've heard out of Dimmu Borgir since "Sorgens Kammer - Del II". It's varied and fairly nuanced, builds well, shows an impressive aptitude for dynamic shifts, is actually black metal when it comes time to be so, the quieter sections fit, and the choirs are present but not prominent to the point of being cheesy. There's also no symphonic element to entice them to play as if to follow its lead, which gives them plenty of breathing room to write a good—great, even—metal song.

I was thoroughly unimpressed with "Interdimensional Summit", but this one is giving me some hope that Eonion could be worth a listen and maybe even a buy, if this approach reflects the product more than the former.

I'll keep my eye on this.

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:21 pm 

Just heard the whole thing myself and I felt let down, the music doesn't flow very well at all and that flaming choir is so over used! After 8 years seriously is this what they have to give us? theres about 3-4 ok ish songs the rest is a letdown. It feels so lazy and not even their own work due to the choir hijacking the airwaves alot of the time.

Last edited by mike_87 on Wed May 02, 2018 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:27 pm 

It sounds overproduced and toothless. Drums are inaudible and buried like on DCA. Some of the choir sections are actually highlights, sort of like on the eponymous cut from the last album. Riffs are snoozers. Whenever a metal riff comes along and the double bass gets going it just sort of diffuses into nothing because the drums are so piss-weak. I liked some of the orchestral parts. "Aetheric" ain't half bad.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:31 pm 

Yep, two times through it, and "Aetheric" is by far the best song here. Really dig that middle section. And "Alpha Aeon Omega" has its moments. The rest? Zzzzzz...

Last.fm

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:48 pm 

I will totally skip this and continue to blast Blood Tsunami.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:31 am 

I've mostly left this band behind - to the late 90's. EDT is the only one I would still probably listen, if I had a physical copy. Those new video songs were really fucking bad, sounding like a poor Batman soundtrack. PEM I should check out, heard it briefly and there was some good stuff on it.

~Guest 343918
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:45 am 

Better than I expected, 4-5 good tracks (Ætheric, Council, Empyrean and Alpha Aeon Omega, possibly also Lightbringer). Closing track seems to go for that Perfection or Vanity vibe, but whereas that particular song is indeed perfection, this feels more like vanity.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:07 pm 

I know not everyone liked Abrahadabra but I did personally and at least the music flowed better and made more sense, Eonian just sounds a lazy mess with far too much going on that is unneeded in the music. That damn choir dominate the record more than Dimmu themselves. I like most their albums except DCA though that was ok, my favourite period of the band is 96-01. This album feels like just 1 or 2 years worth of very rushed work, certainly not 8.

Braltika
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:26 pm 

Yawn, what a snorefest... CHOIR. chugged riff. blastbeat. quiet moment. CHOIR. Uninspired solo.

Every song.

Only positive thing I could find is that they used that awesome riff from the video in 2012(!) (https://youtu.be/wfyHIL89Hmg) in the song 'The Empyrean Phoenix'. Killer riff.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:08 pm 

So far... I like it! Just finished my first listen on Spotify. Yes, the choir is really the main element of the music, but I think it sounds beautiful. I think they have outdone (early) Tristania and Sirenia when it comes to beautiful and catchy choir lines.

Yes, this album is about as "un-kvlt" as possible. It's a very pleasant sounding and smooth album, but I think they pull it off. They're not pretending to be this ugly and savage sounding band anymore.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:50 pm 

I swear this album sounds like a band trying to play as quiet as possible to not wake their parents.

Last edited by cultofkraken on Sat May 05, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:03 am 

Braltika wrote:
Only positive thing I could find is that they used that awesome riff from the video in 2012(!) (https://youtu.be/wfyHIL89Hmg) in the song 'The Empyrean Phoenix'. Killer riff.

I haven't even heard the album yet, but would I be wrong in saying that that riff is the most black metal thing about the whole album?

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:58 pm 

Just listened to it and I love it. It's unquestionably their least Black Metal release so far, but that doesn't surprise me because in the DVD that came out last year Shagrath said that Dimmu weren't interested in being a Black Metal band anymore. Will purchasing this for sure!

Peyp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:20 pm 

I see people pointing out that at this point they aren't black metal, and they might be right. My problem with this album is the same problem I've had with DCA and Abrahadabra: there are cool moments in many of the songs, but I can't remember a single one of them. Maybe another listen will clarify my feelings towards it, but right now...idk...6/10, I guess...
Due to the unfortunate reality of our guitarist fucking my girlfriend of almost 7 years WITCHROT will be taking an extended hiatus. I however will continue the band in another space and time... Thanks for the support, stay heavy. Also our drummer died...

RIP DIAMHEA

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:01 pm 

Criteria for reviewing Dimmu Borgir albums:

1. think: is it black metal? (we all know it's not already, but this must be done)
2. if no, go to step 3. If yes, then go back to step 1 and try again cause Dimmu obviously isn't bm.
3. crack out the De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas album marking rubric.
4. shit all over Dimmu Borgir in review. Keep in mind the term "faggoth" is no longer allowed.

DividerOfShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:06 am 

I listened to it yesterday and it's okay, sounds like a bit darker and more grandiose Abrahadabra. The first half is more memorable than the second, but nothing particularly bad with the album in my opinion.

And I'm still hoping for Katy Perry to do another Christian album.

My Last.fm

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:00 am 

Quote:
It's unquestionably their least Black Metal release so far, but that doesn't surprise me because in the DVD that came out last year Shagrath said that Dimmu weren't interested in being a Black Metal band anymore.

Figures. They're pushing 40 and I'm sure they're feeling the need to "break through", whatever that means for a band like DB. More than any black metal band, they've always tried to court mainstream success. Their big Hollywood-esque music videos and stage shows are obvious attempts in that direction.

The closest they came ever came to a breakout was in 2004, when "Progenies of the Great Apocalypse" was featured in Hellboy. Of course, an orchestra-only section of the track was used, with no riffs or blastbeats. This was the biggest piece of mainstream exposure a black metal band had received for years...and it had no black metal at all. I'm sure the irony wasn't lost on them.

That pretty much explains their current direction. They're stripping out more and more black metal from their sound, and replacing it increasing levels of orchestration and experimentation, because they think that's their magic ticket out of the black metal ghetto. I wish them the best of luck, but right now they're probably as big as they'll ever be.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:47 am 

Listening through now. There's a line in the song "I Am Sovereign" that legit sounds like Shagrath is saying, "Pain is wanting lotion". That's one of the most entertaining parts of the whole album so far.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:41 pm 

Almost 3/4 of he way through it. It's not near as bad as I expected. "The Empyrean Phoenix" is the best song so far. It's actually enjoyable. No, it's not black metal but I was not expecting that anyway.

Like your reviews?

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:45 pm 

I think Lightbringer might be my favourite so far. It starts out with this late-era Satyricon "rocking" riff, then it goes into a sort of gothic atmospheric bit, and then around 2:20 we get this keyboard line that is so simple, yet annoyingly catchy with the whole band just blasting away underneath it. It reminded me of those epic moments in bands like Eldamar.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:01 pm 

I listened through a few times, and my opinion went down with each listen. Super inconsistent, as the songs generally just lack focus and don't really know what to do much of the time. The omnipotent Disney sing-along choir is a major, major issue throughout, coming in at inopportune times and stopping songs dead in their tracks whenever they show up. The best parts of the album are very clearly whenever the band cuts loose and goes full on hyperfast black metal, which is ironically the one thing this album is trying its goddamndest not to be. Best songs are The Empyrean Phoenix, Interdimensional Summit, and Alpha Aeon Omega, with Lightbringer as an honorable mention.

My review for it's in the queue now. I gave it a 45%.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next