Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:49 pm 

WOOO!

The album will be released on vinyl, CD, and digital formats. Preorder the album here https://spinefarm.lnk.to/Kalmah-Palo

Antti Kokko states: “Almost 30 years of swamp madness and here we are today representing our 8th album with fishing tridents sharpened shiny. The album stands strongly on the very roots of Kalmah sound yet introduces fresh breath from the Swamplord’s tar-stained lungs. Evil Kin as first single gives you riffs written back in 1991 blended with melodies of Kalmah today. It’s a perfect statement to show where we were and are right now.”

In a time when others in the melodic death metal genre increasingly lap up influences from more commercial and contemporary genres of music, Kalmah stays true to its roots of death metal, Finnish melodic heritage, cantankerous never-say-die attitude and themes of Northern nature and the folly of mankind. PALO presents its listeners with a set of songs that with their web of melodies and in-your-face aggression exemplify the band’s ongoing evolution towards becoming an international death metal powerhouse.

Cover art, by Niklas Sundin, and tracklisting are as follows:
Tracklisting for Kalmah’s PALO
1. Blood Ran Cold
2. The Evil Kin
3. The World Of Rage
4. Into the Black Marsh
5. Take Me Away
6. Paystreak
7. Waiting in the Wings
8. Through the Shallow Waters
9. Erase and Diverge
10. The Stalker

Here's the single for The Evil Kin.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:17 pm 

Fina-fuckin'-lly.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:40 pm 

TBH that song was pretty average by their current standard. The last album was a monster so topping it will be no easy feat.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:53 pm 

Eh, both Seventh Swamphony and now Palo had average singles first released. Windlake Tale was very similar to this. Kind of plodding until the chorus/ending. I'm not too worried.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:55 pm 

This is really good. It's not spectacular like anything from their first 4 albums, but the melodies, aggression and vocals are all here. If this is a good song to judge the whole album by, then it's safe to say it will kick ass. Very odd that I was just thinking about this band this morning and wondering what they were up to.

A Backwards 6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:57 pm 

I hope this is the worst song. Without the death metal voice, this actually would be kind of commercial or maybe i'm wrong.

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:09 pm 

Awesome! This band can do no wrong in my opinion.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:12 pm 

A Backwards 6 wrote:
I hope this is the worst song.

Same, but it just feels very by the numbers. I disagree with OP about "Windlake Tale," I thought that one was a ripper the first time I heard it.

Last.fm

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:07 am 

Awwwwww yeaaaah. This is going to be good. First song is maybe slightly by the numbers and starts out pretty slow, but it picks up when the chorus hits. I like it a lot. Just ticks all the boxes for me.

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:26 am 

The preview song is not great.. but its Kalmah. It will destroy

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:53 am 

I was wondering when these guys were going to release their next full-length. Hearing that first riff over and over got a bit old but I enjoyed the chorus. I expect this to be a good album. Don't think they'd ever pull a For the Revolution again.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:43 am 

Just here to say that I find that album title kind of baffingly hilarious for a very stupid reason. You see, in Spanish, "palo" just means "stick". As in, a small, elongated piece of wood. At first, I thought, "hey, this is just a very silly coincidence, nothing more to it, right?", and then I clicked on the thread and what did I see? A big fucking wooden stick as the centerpiece of the album cover :lol:

Okay, so it's actually a tree, but don't tell me it doesn't just look like a stick.

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:02 am 

It also means "fire" in Finnish, which has something to do with it...

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:23 am 

Should have called it Palo Palo then: Fire Stick!

Peyp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:07 am 

Yeah, that promo track was solid, but paled in comparison to many of their other works. But I'm pretty confident that they'll have a great album.
Due to the unfortunate reality of our guitarist fucking my girlfriend of almost 7 years WITCHROT will be taking an extended hiatus. I however will continue the band in another space and time... Thanks for the support, stay heavy. Also our drummer died...

RIP DIAMHEA

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:12 pm 

That single was quite underwhelming. However, knowing Kalmah they'll probably have some killer shit in there.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:48 am 

I don't hear old-school Kalmah anywhere in that single... Stop fucking with us!

Bossk
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:16 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Just here to say that I find that album title kind of baffingly hilarious for a very stupid reason. You see, in Spanish, "palo" just means "stick". As in, a small, elongated piece of wood. At first, I thought, "hey, this is just a very silly coincidence, nothing more to it, right?", and then I clicked on the thread and what did I see? A big fucking wooden stick as the centerpiece of the album cover :lol:

Okay, so it's actually a tree, but don't tell me it doesn't just look like a stick.

Haha was about to state the same thing haha

Thinking : "Mira el nuevo disco de Kalmah que te pega como un palo" xD

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:42 am 

Wow. That was dull. Music by numbers. If this is the strongest track they've got problems.

I will still give the album a chance though.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:03 pm 

some metal bands should not have lyric videos

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:44 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
some metal bands should not have lyric videos

ftfy

but yeah, that was pretty terrible... sounds like they were aiming for the lowest common denominator with this one - hopefully it's just the radio single that's this dull and the rest of the album has some actual substance

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:52 pm 

The song bloody well slays live!

Still need to preorder the album....

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:10 pm 

joppek wrote:
ftfy

I agree. Lyric videos are a perfect example of the current "attention span of a gnat" zeitgeist. Loud, obnoxious and unnecessary.

Last.fm

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:16 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
joppek wrote:
ftfy

I agree. Lyric videos are a perfect example of the current "attention span of a gnat" zeitgeist. Loud, obnoxious and unnecessary.

accept in the case of archspire i guess haha

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:28 pm 

That's a Kalmah song, through and through. Solid harmonies, good riffage from the Kokko bros, and Pekka's very distinctive voice. And it sounds like it was assembled from a how-to melodic death metal kit.

Look, you're never going to get anything super original out of Kalmah. They sound like how they sound. You either like that sound or you don't. Hell, I still listen to Amon Amarth, and they've been writing the same album over and over again since Versus the World.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:53 pm 

GTog wrote:
Look, you're never going to get anything super original out of Kalmah. They sound like how they sound. You either like that sound or you don't.

Except there is nothing true about that. Their first three albums were all great and distinctive. They all sounded different while retaining everything that made Kalmah awesome. And when The Black Waltz came out, it was very different from the previous ones. The only problem is that afterward they kept going back for the same general feeling without really improving on it. 12 Gauge is probably the most original and interesting in terms of songwriting in riffing out of the post-Swampsong era.

But that new track is really really really meh. It sounds like a Kalmah ripoff band would sound.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:42 pm 

Really aiming for their classic sound in parts of this one.

Last.fm

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:57 pm 

wow, now that is a surprise. it sounds exactly like it could be on one of the first four albums. now i have even more
hope!

Peyp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:07 pm 

Yeah, now I'm stoked. I doubt they'll let us down at this point.
Due to the unfortunate reality of our guitarist fucking my girlfriend of almost 7 years WITCHROT will be taking an extended hiatus. I however will continue the band in another space and time... Thanks for the support, stay heavy. Also our drummer died...

RIP DIAMHEA

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:30 pm 

Seems like the uploader has an irrational hatred for the dutch. It's unavailable in my country.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:51 pm 

Diamhea wrote:

Ok, this is much better than Evil Kin. Sounds like something from For the Revolution and Swampsong combined, it's great.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:23 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
Seems like the uploader has an irrational hatred for the dutch. It's unavailable in my country.

Found it on Spotify. Holy shit it's amazing.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:43 pm 

Diamhea wrote:

Awesome indeed. Thanks for posting it! April 6th can't come soon enough.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

MetaLstorM12
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:57 am 

full album stream is here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... NOf95MFBel

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:24 am 

Reminds me a lot of For the Revolution. Lots of tinny, melodic keys and a thinner sound than the last two. Halfway through it, and of course it is pretty kickass.

Last.fm

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:18 pm 

Yeah it really does. But For the Revolution was a lot more catchier on the first listen, need to re-listen to this a couple more times for me to get attached to the songs. From what I heard, Paystreak and the World of Rage are my favorites. Gonna give it some more spins before I give it a definitive score.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:18 am 

World of Rage reminds me a lot of Towards the Sky. That one is killer, so is Take Me Away and Waiting in the Wings. I agree it takes a couple of listens to totally get into it.

Last.fm

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:26 am 

Album is a solid effort from these lads for sure. I guess I am in the minority here given that I haven't particularly cared for anything since The Black Waltz. This new one sounds like a return to form.

MLG_Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:51 pm 

Definitely average in my opinion. Their D and Eb shit was miles better, yes I hate C# tuning, their style sounds bland in it.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:33 am 

First impressions after one full listen: almost as good Swamphony, and very worthy of the Kalmah discography. The last three tracks in particular are incredible. Looking forward to soaking it in some more.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next