Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:41 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
From the label that brought you Running Wild worship now comes Stormwitch worship:

Ha! This is better than Stormwitch.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:58 pm 

Only a Swede could say such things.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:27 am 

I'm looking for bands with vocals similar to that dude from Atlantean Kodex (at least like on the white goddess album). Not sure how I'd explain them, but i find them really enjoyable. Something about the clean and youthful sounding approach I guess.

thanks in advance.

Earthshine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:22 am 

Can anyone recommend me more bands along the lines of Eternal Champion or Demon Bitch, especially with similar production? The drums especially on these albums sounds amazing, and I love the fact that they don't over rely on the double kick. I've heard Visigoth, whose music I really enjoy but feel the production is too clean for what I am looking for, and Sumerlands who just didn't quite do it for me. Thanks!

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:30 am 

Earthshine wrote:
Can anyone recommend me more bands along the lines of Eternal Champion or Demon Bitch, especially with similar production? The drums especially on these albums sounds amazing, and I love the fact that they don't over rely on the double kick. I've heard Visigoth, whose music I really enjoy but feel the production is too clean for what I am looking for, and Sumerlands who just didn't quite do it for me. Thanks!

You could try

Haunt - Luminous Eyes
Lethal Steel - Legion of the Night
Lunar Shadow - Far From Light
Vultures Vengeance - Where the Time Dwelt In
Portrait - Crossroads
Spell - For None and All

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:09 pm 

kytokinesis wrote:
Haunt - Luminous Eyes

I was just listening to this! Great stuff, I really hope he keeps going.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:15 pm 

Opus wrote:
I was just listening to this! Great stuff, I really hope he keeps going.

Debut full length album out on Shadow Kingdom Records in 2018

SKR Facebook post

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:48 pm 

Excellent!

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:53 pm 

kytokinesis wrote:
Portrait - Crossroads

Better yet, get their second album where they decided to write songs rather than riff soup.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:46 pm 

Yeah, I dig Crossroads but I only remember it in terms of individual riffs. The songs didn't really add up to be more than the sum of their parts. The second album on the other hand - as far as I'm concerned, it might be the highpoint of the entire trad metal revival.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:18 am 

everytime i spin Thor - Only the Strong i realize more and more how good this album actually is for the most part.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:59 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Yeah, I dig Crossroads but I only remember it in terms of individual riffs. The songs didn't really add up to be more than the sum of their parts. The second album on the other hand - as far as I'm concerned, it might be the highpoint of the entire trad metal revival.

I wouldn't go that far. It might not even be the best stuff from Sweden (In Solitude's debut might well be better). That said, what would be the favourites of people 'round here? I'm sure I'm missing something; so it'd be cool to get good recs (not "pat on the back metal", Visigoth!). I think in terms of most played, I'd have to give a nod to Lord Fist's album.

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:58 pm 

Couldn't possibly disagree with you guys more about Crossroads. The songwriting on that is tight as fuck. Crimen borders on riff salad most of the time. 6-9 minute songs with a lot of cool riffs but no real direction or context. They really learned to reign themselves in on Crossroads. The leap in songwriting quality from Crimen to Crossroads will forever be the most tragically overlooked thing about this band. The songwriting is polished and even pretty sophisticated in terms of managing tension/release and hooks. The songs themselves are much more accessible.

Not to shit on Crimen too much, it's a fun album. I just think you guys have it totally backwards.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:51 am 

looking forward to seeing Bütcher for the 2nd time tonight. IDK whats going on in belgium but all the best new speed metal is coming from there right now.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:24 am 

I thought Crossroads was way more song-y and Crimen was way more riff-salad but I play Crimen more and hardly ever touch Crossroads these days even though I remember loving it when it was released. Still haven't heard the newest.

As far as the best of the best? I'm with Acrobat on Lord Fist's Green Eyleen. That album and Borrowed Time's debut kind of set the whole tone for me. Obviously my personal holy grail is the Demon Bitch LP, but I'd probably rate Death is Hanging... as a head-and-shoulders highlight above the rest of the scene as well. Lord Fist, Borrowed Time, and Demon Bitch are about as good as it gets. The Portrait debut, Midnight Priest debut LP are solid contenders as well.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:53 pm 

Howdy! I'm in a mood for good ol' heavy metal action, so I'm looking for a heavy metal bands with deep, almost growly low pitched vocals. Any ideas?

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:27 pm 

Found some cool live footage of Virgin Steele in their prime. It's refreshing to find these things.

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:19 pm 

Xymosys wrote:
Howdy! I'm in a mood for good ol' heavy metal action, so I'm looking for a heavy metal bands with deep, almost growly low pitched vocals. Any ideas?

Tyrant - Too Late to Pray

Ravensire - The Cycle Never Ends
Acerus - The Unreachable Salvation
Manilla Road - Voyager

Grey Wolf - Glorious Death
Lonewolf - The Heathen Dawn
Frade Negro - The Attack of the Damned

Earthshine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:20 am 

kytokinesis wrote:
Earthshine wrote:

You could try

Haunt - Luminous Eyes
Lethal Steel - Legion of the Night
Lunar Shadow - Far From Light
Vultures Vengeance - Where the Time Dwelt In
Portrait - Crossroads
Spell - For None and All

Jeez thanks for these recommendations man! They were all great, but I especially liked the Vultures Vengeance EP, it's amazing and pretty much exactly what I was looking for!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:24 am 

Earthshine if you like rickety-clattery production jobs similar to Demon Bitch, I can't recommend "Head of Night" by Ghost Tower enough. It's a project from Matt Preston, guitarist/producer extraordinaire who helped produced Hellfriends and also provided the second guitar duties on Borrowed Time's LP. You can hear a LOT of similarities in the riffing between Borrowed Time and Ghost Tower, even though they work towards wildly different moods.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:42 pm 

kytokinesis wrote:
Xymosys wrote:

Tyrant - Too Late to Pray

Ravensire - The Cycle Never Ends
Acerus - The Unreachable Salvation
Manilla Road - Voyager

Grey Wolf - Glorious Death
Lonewolf - The Heathen Dawn
Frade Negro - The Attack of the Damned

thank you!

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:54 pm 

Any other bands you guys can recommend that sound like Gates of Fire-Voyager era Manilla Road? More epic metal bands with the gruff vocals like Crush, Acerus, Ravensire, ect? Or other good epic metal bands like Terminus and Assedium? Just seems like I'm chasing the dragon to find a band AT least as good as Manillla Road when it comes to epic metal. Same with Omen. I mean is there anything out there better than Crystal Logic, Battle Cry, or Queensryche e.p.? 25 years into metal and I still haven't found anything better, or as good. Oh, and the closest band I've found so far as quality goes is Eternal Champion's The Armor of Ire. I haven't had my ass kicked by an album like that in a loooong time.

Lazarus Steel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:41 am 

miskatonic79 wrote:
Any other bands you guys can recommend that sound like Gates of Fire-Voyager era Manilla Road? More epic metal bands with the gruff vocals like Crush, Acerus, Ravensire, ect? Or other good epic metal bands like Terminus and Assedium? Just seems like I'm chasing the dragon to find a band AT least as good as Manillla Road when it comes to epic metal. Same with Omen. I mean is there anything out there better than Crystal Logic, Battle Cry, or Queensryche e.p.? 25 years into metal and I still haven't found anything better, or as good. Oh, and the closest band I've found so far as quality goes is Eternal Champion's The Armor of Ire. I haven't had my ass kicked by an album like that in a loooong time.

Try crush-kingdom of kings

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:57 am 

Lazarus Steel wrote:
miskatonic79 wrote:

Try crush-kingdom of kings

Thanks, but that was one of the bands I mentioned!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:19 pm 

miskatonic79 wrote:

Isen Torr is about on the same level I'd say
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:36 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
miskatonic79 wrote:

Isen Torr is about on the same level I'd say

I met Perry a few times standing in line before shows at The Whiskey. The nicest guy but never had any clue he was in Isen Torr and was a part of Breathe Deep the Dark at the time. Lol, I was a clueless youngster!

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:13 pm 

miskatonic79 wrote:

Nothing will ever really be better, because those are classics. They are the foundation. I think you need to start analyzing the newer bands you hear in terms of how they expand upon that foundation or how well they pay homage to it, instead of as being potential replacements.

Wrathblade - Into the Netherworld's Realm
Heavens Decay - The Great Void of Mystery
Holy Martyr - Darkness Shall Prevail

You didn't mention Visigoth, or Noble Beast, but I bet you've probably heard them.

Shadowkiller - Until the War is Won
Satan's Host - Virgin Sails

Check out Chevalier's 2018 EP and A Call to Arms
Legionnaire - Dawn of Genesis
Skelator - Agents of Power

Portrait's new album Burn the World has an epic closer "Pure of Heart" that reminds me of Manilla Road in a few places.

Epic metal
Iron Kingdom - Ride for Glory
Argus - Beyond the Martyrs
Burning Shadows - Truth in Legend
Sons of Crom - Riddle of Steel
Battleroar - To Death and Beyond...
Comlech - Iron Guard
Tales of Medusa - Triumphant Serenade
Storrsson
Lunar Shadow - Triumphator

While Heaven Wept - Vast Oceans Lachyrimose

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:09 pm 

Some of these bands I didn't know, so much appreciated!! I get what you're saying. I'm trying to not compare, but I guess it's more like I'm still searching for that high I got back then when I heard those bands. The one's that have come close for me in the past was the Wrathblade and Eternal Champion. I just need something of that quality. I am really digging the Storrsson and Noble Beast, didn't know about those bands. And the Iron Kingdom is pretty good too. Been trying to get into Argus the last few years, haven't been able too. Shadowkiller and Lunar Shadow I need more listens. The Storrsson is very close what I'm looking for. So was Lethal Steel and Vulture's Vengeance.

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:38 pm 

Hm, yea. I think I understand what you're looking for now. I hadn't listened to Lethal Steel in a while, then they popped into my head when I was thinking about recs for that other poster. It does have a similar feel to Armor of Ire, with the reverby vocals and kinda musty atmosphere. Had forgotten how cool that album is. There just isn't much else out there right now that has the execution of Eternal Champion in the way they really own it with over-the-top swords and sorcery/dungeon synth atmosphere and such consumable songs.

Storrsson is a side project of a member of a band called Hundred from the UK. Their stuff is really good. They just don't make that much material. Storrsson has already put out almost as much as they have since like 2012

Possessed Steel - Order of the Moon, might be up your alley.
Gatekeeper
Chain https://chainnyc.bandcamp.com/album/demo-2016
Heavy Sentence
Salem https://salemheavymetal.bandcamp.com/releases

You heard Legendry - Dungeon Crawler? they are inspired by Manilla Road quite a bit, but it is a little iffy in the vocals and production departments.

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:27 am 

Already have Legendry, Chain & Gatekeeper. The Legendry is ok but anxiously awaiting the new Gatekeeper album. The Possessed Steel, Salem and Heavy Sentence is EXACTLY what I'm looking for, thanks!!! So what kind of metal is this called, West Coast Epic Heavy Metal? I mean what do I say to explain this sound? Musty epic metal with gruff or nasal reverb drenched vocals? These bands need to hurry up and release full lengths!

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:16 pm 

Not really sure how to explain the sound. The most accurate term I've seen is Sega Genesis metal haha.

Spoiler: show

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:11 pm 

Hahahahaha!! That's actually a decent description. Those old school Sega games ruled. And I want to thank the person who recommended the Argentinian USPM band release, Sorcerer - Incantation e.p. Shit is REALLY good USPM!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:11 pm 

Full stream for the new Gatekeeper:

https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2018/04 ... st-of-sun/

Their previous releases never made a lasting impression on me TBH, but I'm digging this.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:31 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Full stream for the new Gatekeeper:

https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2018/04 ... st-of-sun/

Their previous releases never made a lasting impression on me TBH, but I'm digging this.

Thanks for this. I've been waiting quite a while for it to leak, and a band sanctioned stream will do just fine.

Turns out, really good stuff! MA has their genre as "Epic heavy/doom metal" but I didn't hear a lot of doom in there.... but it didn't need it. Great epic heavy metal!

FuneralDoomed23
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:34 am 

Hi Folks,

Since Spring is finally here in New Hampshire I have been revisiting Blind Guardian, I am really looking to find bands that cover high fantasy with epic atmospheres similar to Blind Guardian. I am not the biggest fan of the Finnish/Italian power metal stuff, is there any newer bands you would recommend for me?

Cheers!

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:24 pm 

FuneralDoomed23 wrote:
Hi Folks,

Since Spring is finally here in New Hampshire I have been revisiting Blind Guardian, I am really looking to find bands that cover high fantasy with epic atmospheres similar to Blind Guardian. I am not the biggest fan of the Finnish/Italian power metal stuff, is there any newer bands you would recommend for me?

Cheers!

First band that came to mind was Judicator. New album is really good and their best imo, in fact Hansi appears on one track. They sing about history but it feels like fantasy. And lastly Freternia. Best European Power Metal band I've discovered in the last five years, how I missed this shit in the early 2000's, I don't know. Both of their albums are mandatory.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOMBGTq ... 82&index=3

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:57 pm 

miskatonic79 wrote:
Freternia. Best European Power Metal band I've discovered in the last five years,

You haven't missed Cromonic, Freternia singers new band? Good stuff!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnf-_ISiSog

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:02 pm 

Any of you heard Bomber? Fuckin' A+ hard rock/NWOBHM-type stuff with a punk-ish vibe to the vocals. Loads of fun, great riffs. Check them out!

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:15 am 

miskatonic79 wrote:

Matthias Steele "Haunting Tales Of A Warriors Past" from '91. Deserves a place beside those classics. Recently reissued. Just get it. Also I'll slide Slauter Xstroyes "Winter Kill" in there. Because it's rather good really.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:31 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
miskatonic79 wrote:

Matthias Steele "Haunting Tales Of A Warriors Past" from '91. Deserves a place beside those classics. Recently reissued. Just get it. Also I'll slide Slauter Xstroyes "Winter Kill" in there. Because it's rather good really.

Those are both awesome albums. Don't forget about Warlord and Cauldron Born too.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 573, 574, 575, 576, 577, 578, 579 ... 624  Next