Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:28 am 

That Augury album is tech death that destroys the new Rivers of Nihil (although RoN is certainly impressive), and Obscura hasn't even released yet, so I think it's too early to say who wins AOTR for that genre. This Inferi joint is quite impressive indeed, though.

Edit: the more I listen to the Inferi album, the more I love the music but dislike the vocals. Too high pitched and raspy.

Last edited by Pitiless Wanderer on Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:09 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
The Augury album is tech death that destroys the new Rivers of Nihil (although RoN is certainly impressive), and Obscura haven't even released yet, so I think it's too early to say who wins AOTR for that genre. This Inferi joint is quite impressive indeed, though.

Missed the news of Obscura releasing a new album this year, when is it supposed to come out?

I liked Augury but RoN and Inferi were a better fit for my taste.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:39 pm 

Been a big Skeletal Remains fan since they put out the debut, and I'm absolutely floored by "Devouring Mortality". The album is fucking incredible...it kind of dips outside their typical sound a bit, in the past I always thought they sounded a bit more European, namely bands like Pestilence or Morgoth, but this album feels way more strictly American, mixing Death, Disincarnate, and Morbid Angel with a bit of Obituary. There's a lot more slow/groove-oriented stuff than ever before, and the solos (while always amazing) have improved tenfold. Easily the best album the band has released so far!

I also disagree about "Ripperology" being a subpar opener, it's definitely not as energetic as their past openers but it sets the tone perfectly.

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:03 pm 

Surprised no one mentioned Aepoch - Awakening Inception, really good debut album

I'm surprised by the fact that I'm liking so many Death Metal releases this past year or so, usually I'm way more into BM or Doom, guess I'm in the right mood for Death lately.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:59 pm 

Best OSDM I've heard this year is hands down the new Sentient Horror EP. Shame it isn't an album because it rules as much as the debut did, riffs after riffs of goodness and a big EOS vibe all around.

https://redefiningdarknessrecords.bandc ... s-below-ep

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:12 pm 

^ There was a recent interview with Matt where he talked about how he’s taken on the role of primary songwriter starting with this EP and Edge of Sanity being a main influence, whereas their previous rhythm guitarist wrote about half of the debut album and was influenced by Grave. The latest plan is to have the next full-length written by summer and into preproduction in October after their European tour, with a long term goal of a release every 18 months.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:47 am 

If you're sick of all that plastic party pagan metal you might wanna check out Asenheim. They recently released their album "Wenn die Nacht..." and it's such a raw, ugly piece of music, yet really atmospheric and melodic.

https://youtu.be/-bhKlkeUm-w

EyesOfGlass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:25 am 

PaganiusI wrote:
If you're sick of all that plastic party pagan metal you might wanna check out Asenheim. They recently released their album "Wenn die Nacht..." and it's such a raw, ugly piece of music, yet really atmospheric and melodic.

https://youtu.be/-bhKlkeUm-w

Wow, this is great. I'm not a big fan of this kind of raw, low-fi kind of metal but this is certainly good, really my thing.

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:21 am 

I haven't seen too much discussion of the new Kamelot album, but I think its pretty fucking great. Its not the most innovative stuff but it is really perfectly layered with enough little bits to benefit from repeated listens. It, has a few too many tracks but pretty much all are good (at least) and the vocals are beautiful.

The new Kroda album is also pretty fucking great! I like the Summoning cover. I need a bit more time with it, it could very well turn out to be devoid of susbtance but first few listens have been enjoyable.

And +1 to Rur; really fantastic project there, truly capturing that ineffable black metal feeling. And Drudkh, another atmospheric masterpiece. That, and their split with Paysage d'hiver last year are a real return to form.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:05 pm 

Some great lesser-known black metal albums from this year so far:

Eternal Alchemist - Kind of a change from the last album which was 9 mid-length songs to 4 long songs. In vein of Finnish black metal style, but from Germany.
https://eternalalchemist.bandcamp.com/album/invocation-of-the-black-flames

Wintaar - This guy is really surprising me, already 2 full lengths this year, I've only fully listened to 1 so far. A really great example of how to make atmosphere and melody out of overall raw black metal. Has some acoustic parts here and there and just overall really great stuff
https://winterblackmetal.bandcamp.com/album/nordic-glares-bless-the-dead

Non Est Deus - I posted this somewhere else, but I just keep coming back to this album, especially when I'm working out. The album cover, lyrics, and overall "joke" of the album would be enough to make most not even give it a try. This is some serious professional, badass shredding black metal, just check it out.
https://nonestdeus.bandcamp.com/album/the-last-supper

Endarken - I posted this in anticipated I think, but it was officially released recently. Great orthodox black metal from Serbia with a few surprises
https://endarken.bandcamp.com/album/tvoj-je-hram-u-srcu-mom

Also just finally got around to listening to Panphage, I was out of the country when it was released, fucking awesome, fucking sucks that he split up after this. And +1 for RUR and the new Drudkh as mentioned above ;)

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:41 pm 

Somar wrote:
Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
The Augury album is tech death that destroys the new Rivers of Nihil (although RoN is certainly impressive), and Obscura haven't even released yet, so I think it's too early to say who wins AOTR for that genre. This Inferi joint is quite impressive indeed, though.

Missed the news of Obscura releasing a new album this year, when is it supposed to come out?

I liked Augury but RoN and Inferi were a better fit for my taste.

It will be a difficult one this year:
Really loving RoN album, it provides a great atmosphere and has a lot going on.
Augury is extremely dense, listened to it over and over again already and so much new stuff each time, wow!
Inferi, damn !!! love it, just received it and it is spinning and spinning and spinning, so much great melody's and hooks, blasting away.

But we will also have Obscura somewhere this year and a new Alkaloid, even Mithras teased with something new, really happy about it all.

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:37 pm 

Yep, I've been spinning the new Inferi pretty much nonstop whenever I get the chance. Polished and detailed melodic death to get lost in. Just the kind of album I've been needing for a while.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:37 pm 

Has anyone listened to Euphoreon's latest album? I don't recall their debut being anything special, but I'm really enjoying Ends of the Earth. I guess this is what one would call "epic" melodic death metal and there is clear Wintersun influence, but it doesn't feel over the top at all.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:43 am 

Rompestromper wrote:
even Mithras teased with something new, really happy about it all.
[/quote]

oohhh is that a fact? I love Mithras...didn't know they were putting something out?!

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:07 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Rompestromper wrote:
even Mithras teased with something new, really happy about it all.

oohhh is that a fact? I love Mithras...didn't know they were putting something out?![/quote]

wait sorry, my bad, he made an aprils fools joke apparently looking at the date now.
I checked his facebook a few days back and saw a preview of the new album cover due to next month, your post made me look into it again and now I saw the date of the post.
stupid me, though, On strange loops is amazing.

Mamont
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:23 pm 

The last Kroda and Aorlhac are good. Kroda has gone back to the roots, with a fast pagan metal. The folk elements are less present, maybe even gone sometimes, but I still appreciate this albom. At least, it's not another crappy ambient album. Aorlhac is classy as ever. Also, maybe not the best but still good in my opinion: the last Panopticon. The first half is good black metal. The second half is not really metal but still enjoyable so far.

Draehl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:53 pm 

So far I've rather enjoyed:

Windswept (Atmoblack. Drudkh side project- sounds more like their early stuff!)
Onirism (Atmoblack- leans towards the 'epic' or 'bright' variety I typically don't like, but this one is quite a gem that packs some heaviness too)
Sunnata (Atmospheric Sludge/Stoner, and I'm not using that term in the 'heavy post-metal like Isis' way)
Necrophobic (Swedish Melodic Black/Death)
Owlcrusher (Blackened Sludge)

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:20 am 

Svederna - Svedjeland
https://svederna.bandcamp.com/
I've been reserved to call anything an album of the year contender so far in 2018, but this album completely destroyed me out of nowhere. It has some mixed elements of melodic - heavy death metal, and black n' roll, but at the core it's just a choice cut black metal album. Basically it just plain rocks really hard. Even if black metal isn't your usual thing, I think this would appeal to anyone who likes extreme metal in general.

Edit: Yeah I just wrote a little mini BC "why i love this album" review after I posted this.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:58 pm 

Wow! This is the direction Kvelertak should have taken.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:59 pm 

i have to say that as somebody who p never likes modern tech/prog death that i was really impressed with the new Augury.

Also to my utter surprise the new Sleep is actually very good and likely to be that one actually good stoner/doom album of the year.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:45 pm 

This one is a bit of a grower, but Messa's Feast For Water is superb. Great, doomy, expansive songs with some excellent keyboard flourishes and an awesome sense of mystery. The duo She Knows/Tulsi is so freaking good it's criminal. This one is a little subtle, but give it some attention and it will pay off.

Re: Cannot get into that Augury album. It definitely has it's good moments, but I think I was a little spoiled by last year re: tech.

oh and the new Kamelot has really impressed me, definitely my favourite release of theirs in a while.

frostyj66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:07 pm 

Metalmeistermms wrote:
A few weeks ago someone recommended Verheerer - Maltrer to me. Very strong black metal album from Germany. Not greatly innovating, but I like that. So you get tremolo riffs, and lots of fast drumming, but still pretty diverse with some mid-tempo parts. Strongest point for me are the vocals. Not just high pitch screams from start to finish, but very powerful, diverse and with "urgency".

Thanks - really enjoying this one and I think it will be a grower too. Definitely has some unexpected breaks or riff/tempo changes littered throughout that keep you guessing and is part of the charm I guess.

edit: also had a chance to give the new Inferi a spin and it's a helluva fun ride. Gave me a lot of Fleshgod Apocalypse feels with the relentless and unhinged melodic blasting but with the symphonic elements toned right down.

Last edited by frostyj66 on Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:18 pm 

I can vouch for the Messa album. I almost want to call it "minimalist," but it really isn't. There are plenty of layers and subtleties, it's just more quiet than most doom.

However, I can't join the Verheerer-fan party. Sounded too much like the Der Weg Einer-style of black metal that I really do not care for very much.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:57 pm 

Somar wrote:
Pitiless Wanderer wrote:

Summer time, so...soon!

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:40 am 

Schrat - Alptraumgänger
I was looking out for this album after hearing a teaser song and some of their older stuff, but damn, I don't even know what to say anymore. :headbang:

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:15 pm 

Anyone mention the new Wiegedood yet? I just had my ears obliterated by it. Killer album.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:38 pm 

^I posted Wiegedood in the anticipated thread awhile ago and have been waiting for it, but I didn't realize it was already released, going to check it out now.

Yith just released a new album as well, I only noticed about an hour ago. https://yithmetal.bandcamp.com/
Too much good stuff all at once, make it stop!

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:36 am 

i think its their worst album so far and its because of the title track more than anything else

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:35 am 

MeltedFace wrote:
Depravity (Australia) has put out a fantastic slab of Death Metal. It's super dense and heavy with a decent amount of variation throughout the album, along with a fuckton of riffs. Their bandcamp and MA have it listed as coming out on April 30, but I was able to buy the physical version and download the digital version immediately.

https://depravityaustralia.bandcamp.com/

since you posted that i've been wanting to check this album, gave it a preview then and it sounded interesting but then i got lost in the autokrator, aepoch and inferi releases

finally came back to it and really sounds as good as my 1st impression, will keep spinning it for a while for sure

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:04 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
Schrat - Alptraumgänger
I was looking out for this album after hearing a teaser song and some of their older stuff, but damn, I don't even know what to say anymore. :headbang:

this band was a totally unknown to me but damn... this is just what I needed to get my BM mojo back on.

checked some of their earlier stuff as well and though i couldn't give it a full listen it sounded like i have a lot to keep me busy

thx a lot for this

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:55 pm 

^Glad you like it! Apparently the 2nd half of the album is "live recordings" of some older songs. The quality is so good that I would have never known. I'm not sure if they were recorded during a show or as a full band in a studio playing all together. You should definitely check out Svederna who I posted just up the page, the music is in the same vein as this.

@tomcat_ha Did you watch that "music video" that Wiegedood released for that song? I thought the album was awesome, maybe a tad short, but that title track definitely had me thinking about that video that I only watched for about 2 seconds. It seemed a lot more aggressive and fast throughout which was cool even though I really like some of their slower songs. I only listened to it once before being floored by the surprise Yith album.

Wargus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:43 am 

Varathron just released "Patriarchs of Evil". Excellent Greek black metal.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:05 am 

ye ive been following wiegedood quite closely since before they released their first album. Caught one of their first shows too.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:45 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
^I posted Wiegedood in the anticipated thread awhile ago and have been waiting for it, but I didn't realize it was already released.

Same here. This is why I hate Century Media. They swallow up bands that get big from Bandcamp, then put out their albums with no marketing. I follow Century Media on Facebook and subscribe to their mailing list and I had no idea that album was already out.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:42 pm 

Holy shit. Wiegedood is pumping em out! If it's as good as their last one, this might be a year ender.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:48 pm 

It does suck that Wiegdood was plucked from Bandcamp and now can't even put their new album on there. That's my main listening platform these days, it's convenient and helps promote and discover a lot of unknown stuff.

I hope this is my last post for awhile cause I have too much new stuff to get through. 2 Bands I just found today, both are more of an epic/melodic style of black metal.

Wallfahrer - Anthologie Der Abkehr
New band, no promotion or anything, just released this today. I liked their message and I like the music even more.

Vilkacis - Beyond the Mortal Gate
Solo project from the drummer in Yellow Eyes and various other bands, never listened to them really, but this album is awesome. The description he wrote about it is very accurate.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:23 am 

wiegedood wasnt plucked from bandcamp, they are part of the church of ra movement and have been heavily featured in europe, they tour a shitload too.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:43 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:
wiegedood wasnt plucked from bandcamp, they are part of the church of ra movement and have been heavily featured in europe, they tour a shitload too.

According to facebook, it looks like it's because of the Century Media signing (the label doesn't put stuff on Bandcamp, it seems).

agent_fist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:48 am 

I want to second Glorior Belli - The Apostates. It's like if Rotting Christ were from the American South instead of Greece, kind of. Heavy, groovy, inventive, fun.

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:12 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
^Glad you like it! Apparently the 2nd half of the album is "live recordings" of some older songs. The quality is so good that I would have never known. I'm not sure if they were recorded during a show or as a full band in a studio playing all together. You should definitely check out Svederna who I posted just up the page, the music is in the same vein as this.

@tomcat_ha Did you watch that "music video" that Wiegedood released for that song? I thought the album was awesome, maybe a tad short, but that title track definitely had me thinking about that video that I only watched for about 2 seconds. It seemed a lot more aggressive and fast throughout which was cool even though I really like some of their slower songs. I only listened to it once before being floored by the surprise Yith album.

I'm very picky when it comes to vocals and Svederna fits that category of bands where i enjoy the instrumental but cannot like the music because of the vocals, i have the same problem with Kroda, my loss i guess, but it's the way it is and there's really nothing i can do about it

the new Wiegedood is a killer album too.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 33  Next